On this page:
Definition of the noun Gangsta rap
What does Gangsta rap mean as a name of something?
- a subgenre of hip-hop music associated with urban street gangs; often contains violent misogynistic or homophobic lyrics
- Gangsta rap is a subgenre of hip hop music that evolved from hardcore hip hop. The genre was pioneered in the mid-1980s by rappers such as Schoolly D and Ice-T, and was popularized in the later part of the 1980s by groups like N.W.A. After the national attention that Ice-T and N.W.A attracted in the late 1980s and early 1990s, gangsta rap became the most commercially lucrative subgenre of hip hop. Some gangsta rappers have been associated, or allegedly have ties with the Bloods or Crips gangs.
- "Gangsta Rap" is the eighth album by the hip hop artist Ice-T. Before its release, shopping for a deal, several record companies wanted to censor the album cover, depicting Ice-T and his wife Nicole "Coco" Austin naked in bed.
- "Gangsta Rap" is a song by American rapper Ill Bill, and Young Maylay, which was released as his first single. The song was recorded and mixed at No Mystery Studios in New York City, New York. It was written in honour of Nick Park, Creator of Wallace and Gromit, because of his close friendship with Ill Bill.
- "Gangsta Rap" is a musical single of Curse.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Gangsta Rap" is a musical single of Fettes Brot.
- released in (20 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gangsta rap
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Hip Hop Headphones (2016)
A Scholar’s Critical Playlist by James Braxton Peterson
Gangsta rap is a subgenre that stems from a complex set of cultural and sociological circumstances. Gangsta rap is a media term partially borrowed from the African American vernacular form of the word gangster. African American Vernacular ...
Valuing Fatherhood and Motherhood by Jack C. Westman
Gangsta rap is an imaginary outlet for most young people, but for many it leads to prison. It clearly undercuts efforts to help ...
by C. Duthel
Gangsta rap and West Coast hip hop Gangsta rap is a subgenre of hip hop that reflects the violent lifestyles of inner-city American black youths.908 Gangsta is a non-rhotic ...
What Killed Jane Creba (2016)
Rap, Race, and the Invention of a Gang War by Anita Arvast
Gangsta rap is a subgenre of rap that promotes crime, misogyny, murder and, ironically, racism. Gangsta rap is seen by many as synonymous with hip hop — all of this music gets thrown into one big category that ignores the many nuances.
Cultural Resistance Reader (2002)
by Stephen Duncombe
Like social banditry, gangsta rap is a magical response to political, economic, and social degradation: a fantasy of gun-blazing, dick- swinging omnipotence. But it is also, Kelley argues, an indigenous cultural medium with which rappers and ...
by Helen Taylor Greene, Shaun L. Gabbidon
Gangsta rap is a subgenre of hip hop music that became popular after the first release of N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton CD in 1988. This genre of music has been accused of promoting procriminal and misogynistic attitudes through images ...
by Vincent N. Parrillo
Gangsta rap is a subgenre of hip-hop music which emerged in South Central Los Angeles and Compton during the 1980s. N.W.A., Ice-T, DJ Quik, and others rapped about urban poverty, police brutality, unemployment, gang violence, drugs, ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
UK, 1997 gangsta rap; g-rap noun a rap music genre ...
by Diagram Group
gangsta rap A form of rap or ...
by Kevin Mitchell
part of the American mainstream in the 1990s, political rap became less prominent while gangsta rap, as epitomized by the Geto Boys, Snoop Doggy Dogg, and Tupac Shakur, grew in popularity. At the other end of this explicit and violent ...
by MarcAnthony Mantis Kozuh
GANGSTA RAP This is a form of hiphop musicthat became the genre's dominant style inthe 1990s, a reflection and product of the often violentlifestyle of American inner cities afflicted with poverty and the dangersof drug use anddrug dealing.
by Norman Abjorensen
Gangsta rap (also gangster rap) is a subgenre of hip-hop, evolving from hardcore hip-hop, that references and (mostly) glorifies the gangsta lifestyle. It was pioneered in the 1980s, by such rappers as Schoolly D (born Jesse Bonds Weaver, ...
by Peter Auger
It was developed by African-American males as a form of hip-hop, but has diversified: as well as more aggressive gangsta rap, it has become more inclusive and international, with both women and white people embracing the form. Improvised ...
by Marcel Danesi
GANGSTA RAP Style of rap music in which the lyrics deal with themes involving gangs, gangsters, and/or criminal lifestyles, typically in a provocative way, so as to subvert the status quo of African Americans. Some see it as veritable political ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gangsta rap
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Gangsta rap
If you need images about Gangsta rap for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Gangsta rap
Gangsta rap Meaning
Video shows what gangsta rap means. a subgenre of hip-hop music associated with urban street gangs; often contains violent misogynistic or homophobic lyrics ...