On this page:
- Definition of the noun gecko
- Phrases with Gecko
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gecko
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gecko
- Photos about Gecko
- Video language resources about Gecko
- Scrabble value of G2E1C3K5O1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun gecko
What does gecko mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: geckos / geckoes (less preferred form)
- any of various small chiefly tropical and usually nocturnal insectivorous terrestrial lizards typically with immovable eyelids; completely harmless
- example: Almost stepped on a gecko while going to the metro.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic word: lizard = relatively long-bodied reptile with usually two pairs of legs and a tapering tail
- more specific terms:
- Ptychozoon homalocephalum / fringed gecko / flying gecko = a gecko that has membranous expansions along the sides of its body and limbs and tail that enable it to glide short distances
- banded gecko = any of several geckos with dark bands across the body and differing from typical geckos in having movable eyelids
Alternative definition of the noun gecko
- Any lizard of the family Gekkonidae. They are small, carnivorous, mostly nocturnal animals with large eyes and adhesive toes enabling them to climb on vertical surfaces.
Gecko is an international physical theatre company based in the UK. Gecko was founded in 2000 by Amit Lahav and Allel Nedjari, who became co-artistic directors of the company. In 2008, Allel Nedjari moved onto pastures new, and Amit Lahav carried on as sole artistic director of the company.
- Gecko is a fictional character from the 2009 film City of Fathers.
- Gecko is a fictional character from the 2004 film So Cute.
- Gecko is a fictional character from the 1998 film Birdcage Inn.
- Gecko is a fictional character from the 2010 film Flowers of Evil.
- Gecko a.k.a. Gecko Fosse is a fictional character from the book The Juvie Three.
- read more about Gecko Fosse
- Gecko a.k.a. Henry Barker is a fictional character from the book Spud.
- read more about Henry Barker
- "Gecko" is a song by Dutch producer Oliver Heldens. It was released as a digital download on 13 January 2014 in the Netherlands. The song has charted in Belgium and the Netherlands. The song was written and produced by Oliver Heldens.
- music by Oliver Heldens
- "Gecko" is a musical album of Shiva Chandra.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Gecko" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Gecko" is a composition.
- "Gecko" is a musical EP of Swat-Squad.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Gecko" is a composition.
- music by Shiva Chandra
"Gecko" is a 2006 short film directed by Theresa von Eltz.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (9 years ago)
Gecko is a web browser engine used in many applications developed by Mozilla Foundation and the Mozilla Corporation, as well as in many other open source software projects. Gecko is free and open-source software subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public License version 2.
- official website: developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko
Phrases with Gecko
Phrases starting with the word Gecko:
Phrases ending with the word Gecko:
- Day Gecko
- Fox Gecko
- Ashy Gecko
- Reef Gecko
- Gekko gecko
- Genus Gecko
- Tokay Gecko
- banded gecko
- flying gecko
- Mole's Gecko
- Monito Gecko
- Sossus Gecko
- Eyespot Gecko
View more phrases with the word Gecko in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gecko
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Biology, Zoology by CTI Reviews
The leopard gecko is a crepuscular grounddwelling lizard ...
Texas Lizards (2015)
A Field Guide by Troy D. Hibbitts, Toby J. Hibbitts
REPRODUCTION The Indo-Pacific House Gecko is an all-female species— males are. Indo-Pacific House Gecko, adult, Sarasota County, Florida. Photo by Terry L. Hibbitts. Mediterranean Gecko, adult, Harris County, Texas. 209 Indo- Pacific ...
Cells, Tissues, and Organs by Louise Spilsbury, Richard Spilsbury
R stichy business •4 The tokay gecko is a lizard. It uses its. Geckos can climb smooth and slippery surfaces quickly. They can hang from a ceiling using just one hairy toe! flexible bends easily in different directions spine backbone. World- Class ...
by Murray Wrobel
Sphaerodactylus corticola Squamata - Gekkonidae e Rum Cay Least Gecko; Rum Cay Dwarf Gecko; Central Bahamas Sphaero (WI) 7613 Sphaerodactylus cricoderus Squamata - Gekkonidae e ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; or, universal dictionary of knowledge, on an original plan: comprising the twofold advantage of a philosophical and an alphabetical arrangement, with appropriate engravings (1845)
Edited by Edw. Smedley, Hugh Jam. Rose, and H. John Rose. (Text: voll. XXVI. Plates: voll. III. Index
le Gecko Annulaire, Isid. v— Geotfr. ; Egyptian Gecko. About eighteen inches and a quarter in length; is very like the last species, but distinguished from it by the anterior edge of the external auditory passage being more ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Miscellaneous and lexicographical, vol. 1
Gecko, Dnudin, Shaw. In Zoology, a genus head, and at the root of the tail, which is surrounded “'W belonging to the family Geckotia, order Sam-ta, class with white rings ...
The Dictionary of Virology (2009)
by Brian W.J. Mahy
Gecko adenovirus not known. Does not seem to cause hepatitis in the host species or other susceptible species. The positive-stranded RNA genome is related to the hepacivirus genomebut lacks a complete capsid protein gene, and ...
Encyclopædia metropolitana; or, Universal dictionary of knowledge, ed. by E. Smedley, Hugh J. Rose and Henry J. Rose. [With] Plates (1845)
by Edward Smedley
Gecko, Daudin, Shaw. In Zoology, a genus belonging to the family Geckotia, order Sauna, class Reptilia. Generic character : body four-footed, elongated, tailed ; toes broad and lamellated beneath ; head large and triangular ; skin granulated, ...
by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana
The cepedian gecko (PI. cepedianus, Cuv.), from Madagascar and Mauritius, is about 7 inches long, of a rose color marbled with blue; the thumb of the fore foot is a short stump. The smooth gecko (PI. theconyx, Dum. and Bibr.), from the West ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
(Geococcyx califorgreat house gecko (Gekko gecko) See Gekkonidae. great spotted cuckoo (Clamator glandarius) See Cuculidae. great tegu (Tupinambis teguixin) See Teiidae. great warty newt (Triturus cristatus) See Salamandridae. grebes ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gecko
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Gecko
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: MagicOlf
Photo credit: Todd Dwyer
Photo credit: MatHampson
Caught lounging on the carpet. Still life.
Photo credit: Mujib
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: NH53
A gecko at the Hostelling International Honolulu
Photo credit: Andjam79
Photo credit: AZAdam
Photo credit: m.gifford
Photo credit: AZAdam
Photo credit: beltz6
Photo credit: AZAdam
catching the morning sun
Photo credit: Cahroi
gecko in the tree
Photo credit: jscatty
Photo credit: Liliana Saeb
Photo credit: Ozzy Delaney
Photo credit: MikeKalasnik
There were several geckos around the hotel
Photo credit: NH53
A gecko rests on an unopened bloom.
Photo credit: Chris Hunkeler
Photo credit: creyesk
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Gecko
Click on an item to play that video:
- Gecko Meaning
Video shows what gecko means. Any lizard of the family Gekkonidae. They are small, carnivorous, mostly nocturnal animals with large eyes and adhesive toes ...
- Web-footed gecko Meaning
Video shows what web-footed gecko means. A type of gecko, Palmatogecko rangei, from Namibia and adjacent areas, having broad, webbed feet. web-footed ...
- Gecko - Pigeon at New Slang, Kingston
Gecko - Pigeon at New Slang, Kingston.
- Gecko and David share a language lesson
View more videos about Leopard gecko.
See also the pronunciation examples of Gecko!
Scrabble value of G2E1C3K5O1
The value of this 5-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Gecko to see it in context!