The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun glide:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun glide
- Definition of the verb glide
- Phrases with Glide
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glide
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glide
- Photos about Glide
- Videos about Glide
- Sign language
- Quotes about Glide
- Scrabble value of G2L1I1D2E1
- Anagrams of GLIDE
- Share this page
The word glide is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun glide
What does glide mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: glides
- a vowellike sound that serves as a consonant
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of glide: semivowel
- more generic terms: phone / sound / speech sound = an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- more specific word: palatal = a semivowel produced with the tongue near the palate
- the act of moving smoothly along a surface while remaining in contact with it
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of glide: coast / slide
- more generic words: motion / move / movement = the act of changing location from one place to another
- more specific words:
- the activity of flying a glider
Alternative definition of the noun glide
- The act of gliding.
- [linguistics] Semivowel
- [fencing] An attack or preparatory movement made by sliding down the opponent’s blade, keeping it in constant contact.
Definition of the verb glide
What does glide mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: glided | gliding | glides
- move smoothly and effortlessly
- example: The cars glide down the avenue
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Bill rolled the ball Verbs of Motion: bounce, coil, drift, drop, float, move, revolve, roll, rotate, slide, snake, soar, spin, spiral, swing, turn, twirl, twist, undulate, whirl, wind [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] Bill rolled the ball down the hill [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] Claire skated | The ball rolled | They waltzed [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Adjective] The drawer rolled open [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] The drawer rolled to an open position [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The ball rolled down the hill there [Verb] [Theme, indefinite] [Path Preposition] [Location] There jumped a little white rabbit out of the box Verbs of Motion: amble, backpack, bolt, bounce, bound, bowl, canter, carom, cavort, charge, clamber, climb, clump, coast, crawl, creep, dart, dash, dodder, drift, file, flit, float, fly, frolic, gallop, gambol, goose step, hasten, hike, hobble, hop, hurry, hurtle, inch, jog, journey, jump, leap, limp, lollop, lope, lumber, lurch, march, meander, mince, mosey, nip, pad, parade, perambulate, plod, prance, promenade, prowl, race, ramble, roam, roll, romp, rove, run, rush, sashay, saunter, scamper, scoot, scram, scramble, scud, scurry, scuttle, shamble, shuffle, sidle, skedaddle, skip, skitter, skulk, sleepwalk, slide, slink, slither, slog, slouch, sneak, somersault, speed, stagger, step, stomp, stray, streak, stride, stroll, strut, stumble, stump, swagger, sweep, swerve, swim, tack, tear, tiptoe, toddle, toil, totter, tour, traipse, tramp, travel, trek, troop, trot, trudge, trundle, vault, waddle, wade, walk, wander, weave, whiz, zigzag, zoom there [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location, concrete] [Theme, indefinite] There jumped out of the box a little white rabbit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] Tom jumped the horse over the fence [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] The horse jumped [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Location, concrete] The horse jumped the stream [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] Tom ran the soles off his shoes [Theme - being or machine] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Location] The horse jumped over the fence [Path Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Out of the box jumped a little white rabbit
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- more generic words: go / locomote / move / travel = change location
- more specific words:
- slide / skid / slew / slip / slue = move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner
- coast = move effortlessly
- skitter = glide easily along a surface
- snake = move smoothly and sinuously, like a snake
- skate = move along on skates
- plane / skim = travel on the surface of water
- surfboard / surf = ride the waves of the sea with a surfboard
- body-surf = ride the crest of a wave without a surfboard
- snowboard = glide down a snow-covered slope while standing on a board
- fly in or as if in a glider plane
- cause to move or pass silently, smoothly, or imperceptibly
Alternative definition of the verb glide
- [intransitive] To move softly, smoothly, or effortlessly.
- [intransitive] To fly unpowered, as of an aircraft.
- [transitive] To cause to glide.
Specialised definition of the verb glide
Glossary of sports / fencing
to make a moderate forward movement while maintaining contact with the opponent's blade
Glossary of sports / skiing
if a downhill skier glides, he or she travels smoothly without any edging (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glide is a census-designated place in Douglas County, Oregon, United States. The population was 1,795 at the 2010 census.
- Glide is a musical group.
- albums: "Here She Comes / Tangled", "Disappear Here", "Last", "Surfaced Euphoric", "Open Up and Croon", "Shrink Wrapped Real Thing", "Why You Asking?", "Shuffle Off to Buffalo", "Wake", "Something", "What Do I Know?"
- official website: www.glidetheband.com
- Glide is a musical group.
There are other groups with in their name, like Freedom to Glide.
Glide a.k.a. Glyde.EXE is a fictional character from the 2002 TV anime series MegaMan NT Warrior.
- read more about Glyde.EXE
- "Glide" is the tenth solo album by American dobro player Jerry Douglas, released in 2008.
- "glide" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Takeshi Kobayashi
- "Glide" is a composition.
- music by Trey Anastasio
- "Glide" is a musical single of DJ Dave London.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Glide" is a composition.
"Glide" is a 2013 comedy film directed by J.B. Rogers and written by James Vanderbilt.
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- director: James B. Rogers
- producers: James B. Rogers & Gwendolyn Rogers
- executive producer: Peter Farrelly
- written by James Vanderbilt
- edited by Michael L. Sale
- genre: Comedy
- released in
- Glide is an instant video messaging platform for iOS and Android mobile devices. The app enables a user to record and send brief video clips, in a similar way as sending text messages.
- genre: Instant messaging
- official website: www.glide.me
- The Glide automobile was an American automobile manufactured by the Bartholomew Company in Peoria Heights, Illinois beginning in 1902. Founded by John B. Bartholomew, the company continued to produce automobiles until 1920, when the company began manufacturing trucks for the Avery Company, of which Bartholomew was also president.
Phrases with Glide
Phrases starting with the word Glide:
Phrases ending with the word Glide:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glide
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Hotel Monthly (1919)
The Andrews chair glide is a preventer of the noise caused by m0\'ing chairs over hard surfaced floors. The glide is a very simple attachment. When Your Bar is Closed Your guests should have immediate recourse to good coo], Sparklng ...
by Debby Mitchell, Barbara Davis, Raim Lopez
A glide is a swing underneath the bar to help gain momentum, and the kip is the actual movement to thrust the body above the bar. There are numerous variations of this skill depending on the type of bar used. The kip is only for gymnasts who ...
A Grammar of Mina (2005)
by Zygmunt Frajzyngier, Eric Johnston
A palatal glide is a barrier to vowel harmony. There is also a very limited leftward vowel harmony, whereby the vowel a undergoes fronting when followed by a consonant and a front vowel. An outstanding feature of the phonological system of ...
Bicycle Stunt Riding! (2000)
Catch Air by Chris Hayhurst
The elephant glide is a front wheel trick. Roll forward in a normal manner. Press your right pedal down and lift your left foot over the handlebars and onto the front left peg. Start circling to the left. Extending your right hand for balance, bring your ...
The Heard Volume by A. G. Duba
It is concluded that rigid body rotation due to anisotropic grain shape rather than intracrystalline glide is the dominant and most effective mechanism to produce ...
From Person to Actor to Character by Theresa Mitchell
Glide is a combination of light weight, direct space, and sustained time. Explore activities that typically use gliding actions such as ironing, ice skating, shaving, stroking a pet, or taking leaves. Any of these activities may be done with various ...
Dictionary of Aviation (1911)
by Robert Morris Pierce
glide glaid v. [preterit glided, glode; past participle glided, gW 1. intr. pass from one place to another by a smooth, continuous, and easy movement; sail or sweep evenly along, as a balloon often does; skin smoothly onward, as in an aeroplane; ...
by Frank Hitchens
Glide angle The glide angle of an aircraft is the angle between the horizontal and the aircraft's flight path . Flatter glide angles are achieved at greater lift/drag ratios . Lowering the flaps or undercarriage increases the drag reducing the lift/drag ...
by William Kostlevy
• GLIDE, LIZZIE HELEN SNYDER of the EA (1894–1902). A poet and songwriter, Gill edited several songbooks. One of Gill's most notable edited works , The Book of Hearts, became the basis for one of the most influential religious tracts of ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
glide bomb — A bomb fitted with airfoils to ...
by Raymond Hickey
'Diphthong flattening'or'glide reduction' are terms used to refer to the lack of an upward glide withthe/ai/ diphthong (and in some few varieties with/au/ aswell), thatisfive /faiv/,hide /haid/ tendtoberealized as[faːv] and [ha:d] respectively in ...
by Joseph Angelo
glide encounter, the spacecraft was put in a "quiet," or hibernation, mode, while it continued to travel in deep space. It was reactivated in February 1990 for a new task—this time to observe the Comet GriggSkjellerup. On July 10, 1992 the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glide
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Glide
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jinx!
Photo credit: rajagopal_rajeev
A Great Blue Heron glides just above its reflection.
Photo credit: Don McCullough
Who would have thought of a parachute that goes up!
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
Photo credit: Christine Puccio
Photo credit: Joel Olives
- Glide volunteer pass
Photo credit: inky
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Glide
Click on an item to play that video:
- Glide Meaning
Video shows what glide means. To move softly, smoothly, or effortlessly.. To fly unpowered, as of an aircraft.. To cause to glide.. Glide Meaning. How to ...
- Explanation of Sunbeam's Pro Glide Plus 8700 and SR 8300 steam stations - Appliances Online
Buy a new Sunbeam steam iron here...
- Mark's Explanation - Glide Phase (DIA)
- Mark's Explanation - Glide Phase
- Smash 4 Advanced Tech: Dash Grab Cancel Glide Toss (CHECK DESCRIPTION)
This video showcases Mega Man's ability to psuedo wavedash, or Dash grab cancel glide toss(DGCGT) . The way to do it is as follows: Dash, Z(Grab), C stick ...
- Briggs & Riley Verb Glide Backpack
Constructed of Briggs & Riley's heavy duty nylon. Padded backpack straps w/webbing loops on top of backpack straps allow backpack to be pulled and ...
- Briggs & Riley Verb - Glide Backpack SKU:#7924317
- Glenohumeral Joint Antero inferior Glide( Skeletal Description) by Prof.Mohanty of...
This skeletal description makes one understand the direction of pressure to check for the integrity of the antero-inferior capsule Instability. As a treatment method ...
- Briggs & Riley Verb Glide Laptop Backpack
Briggs & Riley Verb Glide Laptop Backpack...
See also the pronunciation examples of Glide!
Glide sign language
Quotes about Glide
out of the chrysanthemum
three inchworms doing
a glide dance
too bright a stage
for these inchworms' glide dance
by the inchworm...
-Issa,1821 (John Tiong Chunghoo)
more quotes about glide...
Scrabble value of G2L1I1D2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GLIDE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Glide!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Glide to see it in context!