The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun glimpse:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun glimpse
- Definition of the verb glimpse
- Phrases with Glimpse
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glimpse
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glimpse
- Photos about Glimpse
- Video language resources about Glimpse
- Quotes about Glimpse
- Scrabble value of G2L1I1M3P3S1E1
- Anagrams of GLIMPSE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun glimpse
What does glimpse mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: glimpses
- a quick look
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of glimpse: coup d'oeil / glance
- more generic terms: look / looking / looking at = the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
- more specific words:
- a brief or incomplete view
- a vague indication
Alternative definition of the noun glimpse
- A brief look, glance, or peek.
Definition of the verb glimpse
What does glimpse mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: glimpsed | glimpsing | glimpses
- catch a glimpse of or see briefly
- example: We glimpsed the Queen as she got into her limousine
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] I saw the play | The crew spotted the island
Verbs of Perception (with the same syntax): descry, discover, espy, examine, experience, eye, inspect, investigate, make out, note, observe, overhear, perceive, peruse, recognize, regard, savor, scan, scent, scrutinize, sight, sniff, spot, spy, study, survey, view, watch, witness.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- more generic word: see = perceive by sight or have the power to perceive by sight
Alternative definition of the verb glimpse
- [transitive] To see or view briefly or incompletely.
Glimpse is a musical group.
- albums: "Elephant Skins EP", "Drifting", "Talking to Girls"
- official website: www.glimpserecordings.com
- "Glimpse" is a musical EP of Trapt.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Glimpse" is a musical album of Sonicflood.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Glimpse" a.k.a. "Sakura Chirari" is a 2007 single by ℃-ute.
- read more about Sakura Chirari
- "Glimpse" a.k.a. "Glimpse: Live Recordings from Around the World" is Sonicflood's sixth original album and second live album. It was released on October 31, 2006.
- read more about Glimpse: Live Recordings from Around the World
- GLIMPSE is a text indexing and retrieval software program originally developed at the University of Arizona by Udi Manber, Sun Wu, and Burra Gopal. It was released under the ISC open source license in September 2014.
- Glimpse: Glimpse.
Phrases with Glimpse
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glimpse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Crabb's English Synonymes (1917)
by George Crabb
GLIMPSE, Glance. A glimpse is the action of the object appearing to the eye; a glance is the action of the eye seeking the object: one catches a glimpse of an object; one casts a glance at an object: the latter, therefore, ...
by E.N. Houstis, R. Vichnevetsky, J.R. Rice
GLIMPSE The major KBFE activity with which NAG has been involved to date is called GLIMPSE (). GLIMPSE is a KBFE based on a working prototype system developed as part of a collaborative project funded under the UK Alvey ...
English synonymes (1839)
Explained in alphabetical order by George Crabb, J. H. Hedley
A GLIMPSE is the action of the object appearing to the eye; a GLANCE is the action of the eye seeking the object: one casts a glance at an object: the latterthere— fore is properly the means, the formeris the end: we get a glimpse by means of ...
Peirce and Biosemiotics (2014)
A Guess at the Riddle of Life by Vinicius Romanini, Eliseo Fernández
the glimpse is a particular kind of visual experience that we habitually (thirdness) connect to a range of possible interpretations, as well as ...
Hamidian Palestine (2011)
Politics and Society in the District of Jerusalem 1872-1908 by Johann Büssow
One such glimpse is an interview given by Jerusalem's former deputy to the Ottoman parliament Chapter Eight The Infrastructure of the Public Sphere.
Classic Edition by James J. Gibson
The artificially produced glimpse is an abnormal kind of vision, not the simplest kind on which normal vision is based. It is a poor sort of awarenesss. But it has seemed to be fundamental for hitherto persuasive reasons: it results from an image; ...
A New, Peculiar State (2000)
Explorations in Soviet History, 1917-1937 by Andrea Graziosi
The first such glimpse is that of the winning over to "Stalinism" of the so-called " Russian" right wing of the KP(b)U, and subsequently of this party in its entirety." It brings us to that fundamental question of the relationships — noticed immediately ...
A Guide to Living Skillfully and Successfully in Today’s Crazy Times by PHILIP “Sharp Skills” JACOBS
A glimpse is a piece ofthe puzzle, something that leads to your larger vision. It is important toknow the difference. Sometimes a vision is so big that there will be parts of it thatwe can make clear and other areas that you will have torevisit.
Sensing Corporeally (2003)
Toward a Posthuman Understanding by Floyd Merrell
nate the future, and the only past it vaguely lets us glimpse is that which occurred in the instant just before. There is no elsewhere, there is no before, there is no after. (1999: 16) Extended consciousness, on the other hand, is a complex ...
Remote Control (1994)
Power, Cultures, and the World of Appearances by Barbara Kruger
The glimpse is that which shines unsteadily; the intermittent glow and not the beacon. The glimpse is never anthematic like a fixation and lacks the insistence of a stare or the lascivi- ousness of an ogle. It carries the interrupted enlightenment ...
The Horse who Drank the Sky (2008)
Film Experience Beyond Narrative and Theory by Murray Pomerance
As we are sutured, every glimpse is a stitch in a binding protocol that penetrates our sovereignty and produces a relentless, overwhelming education. The way ...
report session 2010-12, Vol. 2: Oral and associated written evidence by Great Britain: Parliament: Joint Committee on the Draft House of Lords Reform Bill, Stationery Office (U.k.)
Professor Sir Ian Kennedy: The glimpse is that we need to be aware that, as regards the House of Commons, there is a history of 30 years or more of Prime Ministers saying, “Well, whatever the SSRB may have recommended from time to time, ...
Wintu Dictionary (1985)
by Harvey Pitkin
al} glimpse, shadowy, phantom (cf.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
glimmer ; Glimpse, n.s. \ Ial. glimber; Belg. glimmen. To shine faintly ; a weak and gentle light, sometimes quick and flashing. — Hence metaphorically, a brief enjoyment; a transitory view; a resemblance. □' □□ if that ye nrighten see, ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
glimmer; GLIMPSE, n.s. $ Isl.glimber; Belg. limmen. To shine faintly; a weak and gentle f. sometimes quick and flashing.—Hence metaphorically, a brief enjoyment; a transitory view; a resemblance. –—if that ye mighten see, Ye wold not ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glimpse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Glimpse
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: [email protected]
Photo credit: bjornery
Photo credit: ddaanet
Sunol Regional Wilderness
Photo credit: Elaine with Grey Cats
Photo credit: phunkstarr
Photo credit: philwirks
via Instagram instagr.am/p/R4X26shJwk/
Photo credit: Ben Chun
Fountain and flowers outside of the Palacio Nazaries at the Alhambra in Granada, Spain
Photo credit: Jules Antonio
Photo credit: Ruth and Dave
Photo credit: philwirks
- A brief glimpse
Tree briefly reflected in puddle in park 21/365
Photo credit: Broo_am (Andy B)
- Just a glimpse
The view from Aiguille du Midi
Photo credit: Jonathan Meddings
- Glimpse of symmetry
Next stop, the Mattress Factory. You can just see the outdoor garden from here...
Photo credit: ndanger
- A Glimpse of Heaven
Photo credit: kaeocampa
- A Glimpse
Photo credit: Ronnie Khan (Dreamer)
- Temple Glimpse
Photo credit: psd
View more pictures about First Glimpse.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Glimpse
Click on an item to play that video:
- Glimpse Meaning
Video shows what glimpse means. A brief look, glance, or peek.. A sudden flash.. A faint idea; an inkling.. Glimpse Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Glimpse of the AnyLogic Agent Based Modeling Vocabulary
- Learn English Vocabulary 08 - Glimpse
- A Glimpse into the meaning of Christmas by Emmanuel Team Members!
- A Glimpse Into Greatness Explanation
- Glimpse Glance Stare Gaze Contemplate - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Glimpse - Glance - Skim - The difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Stes Battle With Severe SLI, Language Impairment, A Glimpse into His World!
- A Glimpse of Newa Language Classes
- A Glimpse of Newa Language Classes
- Description Glimpse xangoinfos
- A Glimpse into the Life of a Connected EFL Teacher
See also the pronunciation examples of Glimpse!
Quotes about Glimpse
We are certainly getting ahead; if I am Moses, then you are Joshua and will take possession of the promised land of psychiatry, which I shall only be able to glimpse from afar. (Sigmund Freud)
more quotes about glimpse...
Scrabble value of G2L1I1M3P3S1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GLIMPSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Glimpse!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Glimpse to see it in context!