On this page:
- Gothic Metal is a musical genre.
- Gothic metal is a subgenre of heavy metal and gothic rock that combines the heaviness of doom metal or death-doom with the dark atmospheres of gothic rock. The music of gothic metal is diverse with bands known to adopt the gothic approach to different styles of heavy metal music. The genre originated during the early 1990s in Europe originally as an outgrowth of death-doom, a fusion of death metal and doom metal. Lyrics are generally dark and introspective with inspiration from gothic fiction as well as personal experiences.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Gothic metal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia Gothica (2011)
by Liisa Ladouceur
GOTHIC METAL Subgenre of heavy metal music as typified by bands such as Type O Negative, Paradise Lost and Lacuna Coil. Generally featuring slower tempos, more melancholic/melodramatic lyrics and a greater presence of female ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gothic metal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Gothic metal
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Gothic Metal
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Gothic Metal Front Cabinet
* Appears to have 8 brass plated metal tiles to front, each have beautiful scrolling raised pattern
* Latches at top and bottom to keep closed
* Bird and acanthus leaf detail to metal plates
* Large portion for TV: 46w x 20d x 34h (includes a hole for the cords)
* Cornice detail at top
* Solid wooden doors
* 2 pull out drawers
* 2 segments underneath drawers
* Cracks to each of the shelves that run the width of the shelf, appears to be naturally occurring to the wood
* Double hinged for easier entry
* Extremely heavy
All proceeds help us continue the fight against HIV/AIDS and homelessness
Photo credit: HousingWorksPhotos
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Gothic metal for some fun with words!