On this page:
- Definition of the noun great britain
- Phrases with Great Britain
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Great Britain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Great Britain
- Photos about Great Britain
- Videos about Great Britain
- Sign language
- Quotes about Great Britain
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun great britain
What does great britain mean as a name of something?
- a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Great Britain: Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- more specific word: Blighty = a slang term for Great Britain used by British troops serving abroad
- instance of: kingdom = a country with a king as head of state
- part of: British Isles = Great Britain and Ireland and adjacent islands in the north Atlantic
- England = a division of the United Kingdom
- Northern Ireland = a division of the United Kingdom located on the northern part of the island of Ireland
- Scotland = one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; located on the northern part of the island of Great Britain
- Cambria / Cymru / Wales = one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- member of: Common Market / EC / EEC / EU / Europe / European Community / European Economic Community / European Union = an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members; NATO / North Atlantic Treaty Organization = an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security
- Great Britain a.k.a. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom or Britain, is a sovereign state in Europe. Lying off the north-western coast of the European mainland, the country includes the island of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland, and many smaller islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK that shares a land border with another state: the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the North Sea in the east and the English Channel in the south. The Irish Sea lies between Great Britain and Ireland. The UK has an area of 243,610 square kilometres, making it the 78th-largest sovereign state in the world and the 11th-largest in Europe.
- read more about United Kingdom (country)
- Great Britain, also known as Britain, is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe. With an area of 229,848 km², it is the largest island of the British Isles, the largest island in Europe and the ninth-largest in the world. In 2011 the island had a population of about 61 million people, making it the third-most populous island in the world, after Java and Honshū. It is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands. The island of Ireland lies to its west.
There are other places with in their name, like SS Great Britain, Kingdom of Great Britain, Smallest House in Great Britain, United Kingdom of Great Britain and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Great Britain a.k.a. Cyborg 007 is a fictional character from the 2012 film 009 Re: Cyborg.
- read more about Cyborg 007
- "Great Britain" is a play by Richard Bean.
- "Great Britain" is a book by Theodore Heline.
- also known as "Great Britain a pivotal point in a changing world: a lecture"
- "Great Britain" is a book by Everett Einar Hagen.
- also known as "Great Britain: quiet revolution in planning"
- "Great Britain" is a book by John M. Gaus.
- "Great Britain" is a book by Philip Steele.
Great Britain is a 2014 theater production of the play by Richard Bean.
Phrases with Great Britain
- Great Britain Blackberry
- Great Britain and Ireland
- Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- king of great britain
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Great Britain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1917)
Great Britain Walfisch Bay . . . . . . . . . . Africa (West) Wallaroo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Australia Walsall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Great Britain Wanchow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . China Wanganui .
Great Britain Warsaw .
by Cynthia Clark Northrup, Elaine C. Prange Turney
By 1938, Great Britain raised the rate on American auto imports to 33.3 percent while the United States retained the 10 percent rate. The success of the auto industry during the war resulted in a recommendation by the Public Advisory Board ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Great Britain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Great Britain
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Great Britain
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Great Britain
Photo credit: jessica.holle
- Stonehedge, Great Britain
Photo credit: jphilipg
- Great Britain Building
- Mettoy, Tourist Trophy, Great Britain 1940's
Photo credit: lord enfield
- Make it in Great Britain Exhibition
The 'Make it in Great Britain' exhibition runs from 24th July - 9th September at the Science Museum in London. It showcases the best of UK manufacturing.
It is free to all visitors, who can see cutting edge UK manufacturing from many of the world's top companies.
Photo credit: bisgovuk
View more pictures about SS Great Britain.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Great Britain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Great Britain Meaning
Video shows what Great Britain means. The island (and sometimes including some of the surrounding smaller islands) off the north-west coast of Europe made ...
- The Meaning of Great Britain
- Guerilla Filmmaking- The meaning of great britain
- The meaning of great britain
- BYU English Language in Great Britain Study Abroad 2013
See also the pronunciation examples of Great Britain!
Registering to vote in Great Britain - British Sign Language
If you want to vote at the UK general election on 7 May, you must be registered to vote by Monday 20 April. To register in Great Britain, go to ...
Quotes about Great Britain
It may be easily shown, and is of no small significance, that the two great ideas of which the Anglo-Saxon is the exponent are having a fuller development in the United States than in Great Britain. (Josiah Strong)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Great Britain to see it in context!