On this page:
- Definition of the noun guinea
- Phrases with Guinea
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Guinea
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Guinea
- Photos about Guinea
- Videos about Guinea
- Quotes about Guinea
- Scrabble value of G2U1I1N1E1A1
- Anagrams of GUINEA
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun guinea
What does guinea mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- guinea: guineas
- Guinea: -
- a former British gold coin worth 21 shillings
- (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Italian descent
- a west African bird having dark plumage mottled with white; native to Africa but raised for food in many parts of the world
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: ? meleagris / unranked ? meleagris / Numidea meleagris / species Numidea meleagris / Numida meleagris
- synonym of guinea: guinea fowl
- more generic terms: domestic fowl / fowl / poultry = a domesticated gallinaceous bird thought to be descended from the red jungle fowl
- more specific term: guinea hen = female guinea fowl
- part: guinea hen = flesh of a guinea fowl
- member of: genus Numida / Numida = guinea fowl
- geographic area: Africa, Caribbean, Oceania
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun guinea
- [US, slang, pejorative] A person of Italian descent.
- [British] A gold coin originally worth twenty shillings and minted for use in England's trade with Africa; later (from 1717 until the adoption of decimal currency) standardised at a value of twenty-one shillings.
- A ground-foraging bird of Africa, of the family Numididea. Domesticated strains include Pearl, White, Buff, Blue, Purple and Lavender. Also called guinea fowl.
- Guinea, officially the Republic of Guinea, is a country in West Africa. Formerly known as French Guinea, it is today sometimes called Guinea-Conakry to distinguish it from its neighbour Guinea-Bissau and the Republic of Equatorial Guinea. Guinea has a population of 10.5 million and an area of 245,860 square kilometres.
- also known as République de Guinée, Guinée-Conakry, Gine Cumhuriyeti, 几内亚, French Guinea, Republic of Guinea
- founded on (57 years ago)
- part of Africa, West Africa
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- member: Guinean = a native or inhabitant of Guinea
- read more about Guinea (country)
- Guinea is a traditional name for the region of Africa that lies along the Gulf of Guinea. It stretches north through the forested tropical regions and ends at the Sahel.
- also known as 几内亚
- Guinea a.k.a. Guinea, Virginia: Guinea is an unincorporated community in Caroline County, Virginia, United States. Guinea is 8.5 miles northwest of Bowling Green. The modern spelling of the name has been altered from the earlier "Guiney" or "Guiney's", so called after an old Caroline County family, the Guineys. The location is notable as being the place where Confederate General Stonewall Jackson died on May 10, 1863.
- read more about Guinea, Virginia
There are other places with in their name, like New Guinea, Guinea Grass, Nueva Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Current, Spanish Guinea, Papua New Guinea, Portuguese Guinea, New Guinea Highlands, Alcatraz Island Guinea, Guinea-Bissau National Arts institute, Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
Who is Guinea?
Guinea a.k.a. Marshall Applewhite: Marshall Herff Applewhite, Jr., also known as "Bo" and "Do", among other names, was an American cult leader who founded what became known as the Heaven's Gate religious group and organized their mass suicide in 1997. It was the largest mass suicide to occur in the United States, claiming the lives of thirty-nine people.
- read more about Marshall Applewhite
- "Guinea" is a book by Margaret Binns.
- "Guinea" is a book by Claude Rivière.
- also known as "Guinea: the mobilization of a people"
- "Guinea" is a book by Joachim Voss.
- "Guinea" is a book by Frederick Quinn.
- also known as "Guinea: a pre-election assessment report, February 16, 1992"
Phrases with Guinea
- Guinea Ant
- guinea hen
- guinea pig
- Guinea Yam
- guinea corn
- guinea fowl
- guinea gold
- guinea keet
- guinea worm
- Guinea Guava
- Guinea Cerith
- guinea flower
- Guinea Gerbil
- guinea grains
- guinea pepper
- Guinea Shrimp
- new guinea
View more phrases with the word Guinea in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Guinea
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
International Education (2015)
An Encyclopedia of Contemporary Issues and Systems by Daniel Ness, Chia-Ling Lin
Equatorial Guinea is a small country on the west coast of Africa, along the Atlantic Ocean. It became independent from Spain...
At present, after Nigeria and Angola, Equatorial Guinea is the third-largest exporter ...
Birds of New Guinea (2016)
Distribution, Taxonomy, and Systematics by Bruce M. Beehler, Thane K. Pratt
Among tropical islands, New Guinea is the largest and highest (it is larger and substantially higher than either...
New Guinea is the geographic hub of the southwest Pacific—situated at the heart of an array of tropical island arcs that are home ...
by CTI Reviews
Guinea is a traditional name for the region of Africa that lies along the Gulf of Guinea. It stretches north through the forested tropical regions and ends at the Sahel. New Guinea is the world's second largest island, after Greenland, covering a ...
Constitutions of Nations (1985)
by Amos J. Peaslee
SUMMARY INTERNATIONAL STATUS Papua New Guinea is a member of the United Nations (October 10, 1975). It is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and of other international governmental organizations. Papua New Guinea ...
East Asia, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand by Anthony Pecotich, Clifford J. Shultz, 2nd
CONCLUSION Papua New Guinea is a different place, a place where highly evolved societies have been dragged into economic modernity by colonial powers and then by the expectations of the development community. The people ...
Political science, Political science by CTI Reviews
New Guinea: New Guinea is the world's second largest island, after Greenland, covering a land area of 786,000 km2. Located in the southwest Pacific Ocean, it lies to the east of the Malay Archipelago, with which it is sometimes included as ...
by Justo Bolekia Boleka
about Equatorial Guinea is that it is the only country in Africa south of the Sahara where Spanish is an official language. As a matter of fact one could say that Spanish is the lingua franca; most, if not all Equatorial Guineans speak it, it is the ...
Using International Human Rights Standards in Domestic Litigation by Andrew Byrnes, Jane Frances Connors, Lum Bik
WOMEN'S HUMAN RIGHTS: INTERNATIONAL AND REGIONAL STANDARDS — THE PAPUA NEW GUINEA EXPERIENCE Justice Tracy Doherty Supreme Court and National Court, Papua New Guinea Papua New Guinea is a party to ...
Fighting Words (2003)
Language Policy and Ethnic Relations in Asia by Michael Edward Brown
May Papua New Guinea is the most linguistically diverse country on earth. Its roughly 4 million people speak more than 850 separate languages, around 15 percent of the world's stock. In the words of linguist Stephen Wurm, this makes ...
by Manoranjan Dutta
Though Fiji is an exception where Christians constitute just over 50 percent of the population and as many as 34 percent subscribe to Hinduism, Papua New Guinea is the ordinary case in the region where two-thirds of the population ...
by Robert R. Watson
as the title poem for Guinea ...
by David Seddon
French Guinea was the second West African state to gain independence (after the Gold Coastbecame Ghanain 1957). It had been a part of the great colonialterritory ofFrench West Africa and, after the Second World War, one of the many ...
GUINEA PEPPER stretch of coastline, commencing from the north, are as follows : the French colony of Senegal, the English settlements on the Gambia, the Portuguese territory of Bissao or Bissajos, the coastal fringe before ...
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
Country Currency Djibouti Djibouti franc Dominica East Caribbean dollar Dominican RepublicDominican peso East Timor Dollar Ecuador US Dollars Egypt Egyptian pound El Salvador US Dollars Equatorial Guinea CFA franc Estonia Kroon ...
For Home, School, Office by Daniel Webster
" tsii Subdivision Afghanistan afgham pul Greece drachma lepton Albania lek qumtar Grenada dollar cent Algeria dinar centime Guatemala quetzal centavo Andorra franc centime Guinea syli cory ...
A-J, index by Jeffrey Jensen Arnett
Background Information Guinea, a former French colony, is situated in sub- Saharan Africa. Its surface area is 247,857 square kilometers. Guinea is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Coˆte d'Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, Mali, Sierra-Leone, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Guinea
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Guinea
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: bert_m_b
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Guinea
Click on an item to play that video:
- Guinea Meaning
Video shows what guinea means. A person of Italian descent.. A gold coin originally worth twenty shillings and originally made from gold imported from Africa; ...
- Guinea Meaning
Video shows what Guinea means. Country in Western Africa. Official name: Republic of Guinea.. Someone of Italian descent in the United States.. Guinea ...
- What Is The Definition Of Guinea worm disease - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
- Guinea keet Meaning
Video shows what guinea keet means. A guinea fowl. Guinea keet Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say guinea keet. Powered by ...
- The Story of Jesus - Bandi / Bande / Gbandi / Gbande / Gbunde Language (Liberia, Guinea)
The Story of the Life and Times of Jesus Christ (Son of God). According to the Gospel of Luke. (Liberia) Bandi / Bande / Gbandi / Gbande / Gbunde Language.
- Good News KPELLE, GUINEA People/Language Movie Trailer
- Children sing, Peul language,Tigal, Guinea
Tigal, children sing.
- Columbus State University, English Language Institute Guinea Student Testimonial
- The Jesus Film - Bube / Bobe / Adeeyah / Adija / Boobe / Boombe Language (Eq. Guinea)
The Story of the Life and Times of Jesus Christ (Son of God). According to the Gospel of Luke. (Equatorial Guinea) Bube / Bobe / Adeeyah / Adija / Boobe ...
- What Is The Definition Of Guinea worm disease - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
See also the pronunciation examples of Guinea!
Quotes about Guinea
Scrabble value of G2U1I1N1E1A1
The value of this 6-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GUINEA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Guinea!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Guinea to see it in context!