Guru appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Stacy ran; I drove Kev: a guru gave Kev ordinary cats.
- You bar our uglies, banana man: an abseil guru or a buoy.
- To handle balisaur uglies, ban an abseil guru as I label DNA hot.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun guru
- Phrases with Guru
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Guru
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Guru
- Photos about Guru
- Video language resources about Guru
- Sign language
- Quotes about Guru
- Scrabble value of G2U1R1U1
- Anagrams of GURU
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun guru
What does guru mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: gurus
- a Hindu or Buddhist religious leader and spiritual teacher
- each of the first ten leaders of the Sikh religion
- a recognized leader in some field or of some movement
Alternative definition of the noun guru
- A Hindu or Sikh spiritual teacher. [definition from 17th c.]
- [sometimes, humorous] An influential advisor or mentor. [definition from 20th c.]
- "Guru" is a 2007 Indian biographical film loosely based on the life of Dhirubhai Ambani, a business magnate who founded Reliance Industries. The film was co-written and directed by Mani Ratnam. It stars Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, R. Madhavan, Vidya Balan, Arya Babbar, Mithun Chakraborty in the leading roles. The film also has Mallika Sherawat in a guest appearance. The score and soundtrack for the film was composed by A. R. Rahman. The film was dubbed and released simultaneously in Tamil as Guru and in Telugu as Gurukanth. and in the Tamil version of the film, the lead role was dubbed by Suriya. The film was released on 12 January 2007 with its première at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto, Canada, on Thursday 11 January 2007, making it the first Indian film to have a mainstream international première in Canada. The film was premiered in the Tous Les Cinemas du Monde section of 2007 Cannes Film Festival.
- also known as 古盧大兄
- country: India
- languages: Hindi Language, Tamil Language
- producers: Mani Ratnam & G. Srinivasan
- production design by Samir Chanda
- art direction by Sabu Cyril, Chetan Pathak, Nitin Wable & Samir Chanda
- written by Mani Ratnam, Anurag Kashyap, Vijay Krishna Acharya, Sujatha Rangarajan, Suhasini Maniratnam
- based on a story by Mani Ratnam
- Vidya Balan as Meenakshi Gupta
- Mallika Sherawat as Jhumpa
- R. Madhavan as Shyam Saxena
- Roshan Seth as Thapar
- Aarya Babbar as Jignesh
- Manoj Joshi as Ghanshyam Bhai
- Sachin Khedekar as Sujata's Father
- Nina Kulkarni as Sujata's Mother
- Dhritiman Chatterjee as Thapar Commission Member
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as Sujata Desai
- Abhishek Bachchan as Gurukant Desai
- Mithun Chakraborty as Manikdas Gupta
- Rajendra Gupta as Kantilal Desai
- Sanjay Swaraj
- Pratap K. Pothen as K R Menon I.A.S
- Arjan Bajwa as Arzaan Contractor
- Sarita Joshi as Guru's stepmother
- Padmarani as Mrs. K. Desai
- Sudhir Pandey as Mathura Das
- Murad Ali
- Mukesh Bhat
- Sunil Agarwal
- cinematography by Rajiv Menon
- edited by A. Sreekar Prasad
- music by A. R. Rahman
- costume design by Anu Parthasarathy, Ameira Punvani, V. Sai, Nikhaar Dhawan, Aparna Shah
- genres: Biographical film, Musical, Romance Film, Drama, Musical Drama
- released on (8 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Filmfare Award for Best Director nomination for Mani Ratnam
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress nomination for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Mithun Chakraborty
- Filmfare Award for Best Film (Madras Talkies) nomination for Mani Ratnam & G. Srinivasan
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor nomination for Abhishek Bachchan
- Filmfare Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Aparna Shah, Ameira Punvani, Nikhaar Dhawan & V. Sai
- Filmfare Award for Best Story nomination for Mani Ratnam
- IIFA Award for Best Movie (Mani Ratnam) nomination for Madras Talkies
- IIFA Award for Best Director nomination for Mani Ratnam
- IIFA Award for Best Actor (Gurukant "Guru" Desai) nomination for Abhishek Bachchan
- IIFA Award for Best Actress (Sujata Desai) nomination for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Manik Dasgupta) nomination for Mithun Chakraborty
- IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actress (Meenakshi "Meenu" Saxena) nomination for Vidya Balan
- Star Guild Award for Best Editing nomination for A. Sreekar Prasad
- IIFA Award for Best Story nomination for Mani Ratnam
- Star Guild Award for Best Costume Design nomination for V. Sai
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor nomination for Abhishek Bachchan
- Star Guild Award for Best Dialogue nomination for Vijay Krishna Acharya
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actress nomination for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Star Guild Award for Best Screenplay nomination for Mani Ratnam
- Star Guild Award for Best Music Director nomination for A. R. Rahman
- Star Guild Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for Mithun Chakraborty
- Star Guild Award for Best Art Direction nomination for Samir Chanda
- Star Guild Award for Best Director nomination for Mani Ratnam
- Star Guild Award for Best Re-Recording nomination for H. Sridhar
- Star Guild Award for Best Film (Mani Ratnam,G. Srinivasan) nomination for Madras Talkies
- Star Guild Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role nomination for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Star Guild Award for Best Sound Recording nomination for Jagmohan Anand, Rakesh Ranjan, H. Sridhar
- Star Guild Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role nomination for Abhishek Bachchan
- Star Guild Award for Best Choreography (Mayya Mayya) nomination for Brinda
- Star Guild Award for Best Special Effects nomination for Prasad Efx & Prime Focus Ltd.
- Filmfare Award for Best Music Director nomination for A. R. Rahman
- IIFA Award for Best Music Director nomination for A. R. Rahman
- Zee Cine Award for Best Director nomination for Mani Ratnam
- Zee Cine Award for Best Background Music nomination for A. R. Rahman
- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director nomination for A. R. Rahman
- Star Guild Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Rajiv Menon
- Filmfare Award for Best Music Director, received by A. R. Rahman
- Filmfare Award for Best Background Score, received by A. R. Rahman
- Filmfare Award for Best Art Direction, received by Samir Chanda
- IIFA Award for Best Music Director, received by A. R. Rahman
- Star Guild Award for Best Cinematography, received by Rajiv Menon
- Zee Cine Award for Best Background Music, received by A. R. Rahman
- Zee Cine Award for Best Music Director, received by A. R. Rahman
- Filmfare Award for Best Choreography (Barso Re), received by Saroj Khan
- IIFA Award for Best Background Score, received by A. R. Rahman
- IIFA Award for Music of the Decade, received by A. R. Rahman
- "Guru" a.k.a. "The Guru" is a 2002 British-French-American romantic comedy film written by Tracey Jackson and directed by Daisy von Scherler Mayer. The film centers on a dance teacher who comes to America from India to pursue a normal career but incidentally stumbles into a brief but high-profile career as a sex guru, a career based on a philosophy he learns from a pornographic actress.
- read more about The Guru
- "Guru" is a 1980 Tamil-language drama film directed by I. V. Sasi. The film features Kamal Haasan and Sridevi in the lead roles while M. N. Nambiar, Muthuraman and Mohan Babu play supporting roles. The film opened in July 1980 to positive reviews. It was a blockbuster and completed a 365-day run at the box office. The film, a bi-lingual was made in Telugu language as well with the same title.
- country: India
- languages: Tamil Language, Telugu language, Hindi Language
- Kamal Haasan as Ashok
- M. N. Nambiar as Head of anti-social group
- Sridevi as Sujatha
- Mohan Babu as Ramesh
- R. Muthuraman as Raghu
- Major Sundarrajan as Commissioner of Police
- Y. G. Mahendra as Mahesh
- Poornam Vishwanathan as Raghu's father
- Ceylon Manohar
- Pandari Bai as Sujatha's mother
- Jayamalini as Mahesh's love interest
- Vennira Aadai Nirmala as Parvathi
- Kamal Haasan as Guru
- cinematography by Jayanan Vincent
- music by Ilaiyaraaja
- genre: Drama
- released on (35 years ago)
- "Guru" is a 1989 Hindi-language Indian feature film directed by Umesh Mehra, starring Mithun Chakraborty, Sridevi and Shakti Kapoor. The film is the remake of Tamil blockbuster Kaakki Sattai, starring Kamal Haasan. "GURU" was a one of the biggest opener of that year and became a box office HIT.
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- producers: R.C. Prakash & G. Yenkateshwaran
- written by Ram Kelkar & Javed Siddiqui
- Sridevi as Uma
- Mithun Chakraborty as Gaurav Shankar Shrivastav
- Shakti Kapoor as Vicky
- Nutan as Yashoda
- Amrit Pal as Amit
- Roopesh Kumar as Roopesh
- Yunus Parvez as Inspector Manchanda
- Bob Christo as Bob
- Arun Bakshi as Inspector Arun
- Sameer Khakhar as Sameer
- Seema Deo as Uma's & Roma's mom
- Javed Khan Amrohi
- Mac Mohan as Mac
- Asrani as Dr. V.D.R. Natarajan
- Sridevi as Roma
- Sudhir Dalvi as IGP Sudhir
- cinematography by S. Pappu
- edited by M. S. Shinde
- music by Bappi Lahiri
- genres: Crime Fiction, Bollywood, World cinema
- released on (26 years ago)
- "Guru" is a 1997 Indian Malayalam-language film written by CG Rajendra Babu and directed by Rajiv Anchal. Prominent Malayalam actor Mohanlal played the lead role in the film. Nedumudi Venu, Srinivasan, Suresh Gopi, Sithara, Kaveri Muralidharan and Sreelakshmi star in supporting roles.
- country: India
- language: Malayalam Language
- art direction by T. Muthuraj
- music by Ilaiyaraaja
- costume design by Satheesan
- genres: Fantasy, Drama, Malayalam Cinema, World cinema
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Guru" is a 2003 Bengali-language Indian feature film directed by Swapan Saha, starring Mithun Chakraborty, Tapas Paul, Subhendu Chattopadhyay and Jisshu Sengupta. The film is the remake of Tamil blockbuster Baashha starring Rajinikanth, which was inspired from Hum.
- country: India
- languages: Bengali Language, Oriya Language
- directors: Swapan Saha & Snehasis Chakraborty
- producer: Swapan Saha
- music by Babul Bose
- genre: Action Film
- released in (12 years ago)
- "GURU" is a short film, directed by Yassine Azzouz & Jonathan Kluger.
- "Guru" is a 2012 Indian Kannada film directed by Jaggesh. The film starred his sons Gururaj and Yathiraj as male leads and Rashmi Gautham as the female lead. The film was Jaggesh's first film as a director. The film, as Jaggesh said, is a remake of a Korean film that deals with drug trafficking.
- "Guru" is a 2011 short documentary written and directed by Jonathan VanBallenberghe.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Jonathan VanBallenberghe & Sharon Wahl
- written by Jonathan VanBallenberghe
- starring: Peter Scott
- cinematography by Jonathan VanBallenberghe
- edited by Jonathan VanBallenberghe
- music by Jason Sebastian Russo
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (4 years ago)
"Guru" is a book by Sheldon Kopp.
- also known as "Guru: metaphors from a psychotherapist"
- Guru is a fictional character from the 2007 film The Bodyguard 2.
- Guru a.k.a. Gurumoorthy is a fictional character from the 2004 film Kuththu.
- read more about Gurumoorthy
- Guru is a fictional character from the 1998 film Satya.
- Guru is a fictional character from the 2009 film Ek: The Power of One.
- Guru is a fictional character from the 1983 film Mahaan.
- Guru is a fictional character from the 1990 film Trikon.
- Guru is a fictional character from the 2007 film Shakalaka Boom Boom.
- "Guru" is the soundtrack to the 2007 film, of the same name directed by Mani Ratnam. The soundtrack was released in 18 November 2006. Guru's music is composed by A. R. Rahman with lyrics provided by Gulzar.
- also known as Guru Soundtrack
- genre: Soundtrack
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Guru" is a musical album of Trümmelschlager.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Guru" is a musical album of Matthew Simmonds.
- released on
- "Guru" is a composition.
- "Guru" is a musical single of Millions.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Guru" is a musical single of Light Light.
- released on
- "Guru" is a musical album of Mustat Enkelit.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Guru" is a composition.
- music by Alvin Gibbs
- "Guru" is a composition.
- Guru: Keith Edward Elam, better known by his stage name Guru, was an American rapper, producer and actor best known as a member of the hip-hop duo Gang Starr, along with DJ Premier. He was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
- also known as Guru's Jazzmatazz, Jazzmatazz, Guru Jazzmatazz, Keith Elam, Keith Edward Elam, The Guru, MC Keithy E
- born on (54 years ago) in Roxbury, Boston, child of Barbara Elam and Harry Elam
- ethnicity: African American
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Musician, rapper, actor, music producer
- member of musical group Gang Starr (Vocals) since
- parent of Keith Casim
- died on (5 years ago) in New York City of cancer
- genres: Jazz, Jazz rap, Hip hop music
- albums: "Jazzmatazz, Volume 3: Streetsoul", "Baldhead Slick and Da Click", "Jazzmatazz, Volume 1", "Jazzmatazz, Volume 2: The New Reality", "Version 7.0: The Street Scriptures", "Watch What You Say", "Guru's Jazzmatazz, Vol. 4: The Hip Hop Jazz Messenger: Back to the Future", "The Best of Guru's Jazzmatazz", "Guru 8.0: Lost & Found", "Guru's Jazzmatazz: The Mixtape: Back to the Future", "Le Bien, le Mal", "Feel the Music", "No Time to Play", "Guru Presents Ill Kid Records"
- official website: www.gurugangstarr.com
- Guru a.k.a. Guru Dutt: Vasanth Kumar Shivashankar Padukone, better known as Guru Dutt, was an Indian film director, producer and actor. He made 1950s and 1960s classics such as Pyaasa, Kaagaz Ke Phool, Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam and Chaudhvin Ka Chand. In particular, Pyaasa and Kaagaz Ke Phool are now included among the greatest films of all time, both by Time magazine's "All-TIME" 100 best movies and by the Sight & Sound critics' and directors' poll, where Dutt himself is included among the greatest film directors of all time. He is sometimes referred to as "India's Orson Welles". In 2010, he was included among CNN's "top 25 Asian actors of all time".
- read more about Guru Dutt (actor)
- Guru a.k.a. James: Faruq Mahfuz Anam, known by his stage name James, is a Bangladeshi singer, guitarist, and composer.
- read more about James
- Guru a.k.a. Guru Thakur is a contemporary, Marathi Poet, lyricist, Script Writer, actor and Playwright. Guru was born and brought up in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. While he began his career as a newspaper columnist, cartoonist, caricaturist and voiceover artist he has evolved and made a name as a poet, lyricist and script writer. His early career includes a short stint at Marmik, Marathi weekly and newspapers Tarun Bharat, Pudhari, Maharashtra Times and Navakaal. His achievements include script writing for the television show 'Shriyut Gangadhar Tipare', movie Aga Bai Arrecha, play 'Bhaiyya Haat Paay Pasari' and most recent movie Natarang. He received 'Zee Gaurav Award' and 'V. Shantaram Award' as Best Lyricist for the Song 'Khel Mandla' from the movie Natarang.
- read more about Guru Thakur
- Guru a.k.a. Gurmmeet Singh is a film editor and director.
- read more about Gurmmeet Singh (film director)
- Guru a.k.a. Gurudutt Shirali is a film editor.
- read more about Gurudutt Shirali
- Guru is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Guru (actor)
- Guru is a Sanskrit term for "teacher" or "master", particularly in Indian religions. The Hindu guru-shishya tradition is the oral tradition or religious doctrine or experiential wisdom transmitted from teacher to student. In the United States, the word guru is a newer term, most often used to describe a teacher from the Hindu tradition. In the West some derogatory interpretations of the word have been noted, reflecting certain gurus who have allegedly exploited their followers' naiveté, due to the use of the term in certain new religious movements.
- also known as Γκουρού, 古鲁（印度宗教领袖）, معلم مذهبی, 지혜자, معلم روحي, गुरू, กูรู, Gourou, 上师
- Guru a.k.a. The High Priest was the chief religious official of Israelite religion and of classical Judaism from the rise of the Israelite nation until the destruction of the Second Temple of Jerusalem. The high priests belonged to the Jewish priestly families that trace their paternal line back to Aaron, the first high priest and elder brother of Moses.
- also known as Kohen Gadol, High Priest of Israel
- Guru a.k.a. Luguru Language: Luguru is a Bantu language spoken by the Luguru people of the Morogoro region of Tanzania. The name is also spelled Lughuru, Lugulu, Ruguru. It is closely related to Gogo and Zaramo, but is not intelligible with other languages.
- read more about Luguru Language
- Guru is a video ad.
- also known as Guru (Não Olhe Pra Trás)
- award: - Clio Award for Film Technique nomination for Big Foote Music + Sound New York
Phrases with Guru
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Guru
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Guru Gita (2011)
The Song of the Guru by Kalavati Maria Cristina Chiulli
A Guru is a presence.
Guru means heavy, very heavy: heavy for the energy of the unknown, heavy of the Divine, heavy like a pregnant woman.
by Jas Mand
The true Guru is an ocean of Truth and Knowledge. Thus the knowledge imparted by him is always true: “Satpurakhjin janya Satguru tis ka nau”.226 The Guru is the field of Dharma, has no enmity and is benevolent to all.
Buddhism and the Natural Mind by Doris Wolter
Unfortunately, the guru is a must for Vajrayana practice. However, all great masters and teachings repeatedly advise that one should always be skillful in checking the lama before one takes him as one's master. We have that option, and we ...
Gursikh : Someone who is deeply and sincerely devoted to the service of the Guru. Guru : Literally "teacher." One of the most important words in Sikhism, it has a number of related meanings. It can refer, depending on context of usage, to one ...
A name ofoetusa, the Guru of the gods and Regent of the planet Jupiter. 6 The planet Jupiter. 7 A. tutor, an instructor. –93 s. shell on guil, A man's evil counsel turns back against himself, ...
by Yudit Kornberg Greenberg
Understood in academic terms, all of the traditions take it as axiomatic that the guru embodies the central dynamic of the sacred,
The guru is human, yet beyond the limitations of humankind; as such, gurus occupy a unique position— leading ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Guru
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Guru
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Patrik Hamberg
Photo credit: sherrattsam
Photo credit: $hrink
Photo credit: M.a.t.t.i.a
Photo credit: Janayna Velozo
Photo credit: shootlah!
Small statue at ghats in Pushkar.
Photo credit: runran
Photo credit: winhide
Photo credit: pajp
An exponent in Indian Carnatic Music. Sri. Ramananda Saraswathi. He hails from the great musical family of Sri. Gopalakrishna Bhagavathar (his grand father) and Sri. Sanjeevi Bhagavathar (his father). A subtle personality who leads a saintly life.
Sri Gurubhyo Namah
Photo credit: Santhosh Janardhanan
- The Watermelon Guru
Photo credit: ▓▒░ TORLEY ░▒▓
- Cab interior, guru, dude selling balloons
Photo credit: douglemoine
- Guru ji
Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, the eternal Guru of the Sikh faith.
Photo credit: jasleen_kaur
View more pictures about Guru Nanak.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Guru
Click on an item to play that video:
- 168 NI What is the meaning of Guru
NI What is the meaning of Guru.
- Guru Paduka Stotram With English & Meaning Lyrics ( Full Song )
Guru Paduka Stotram With English & Meaning Lyrics ( Full Song ) Artist - Uma Mohan, G. Gayathri Devi, Ramya, Roopa, Saindhavi, Krupa, Gowri, Usha, Jaya, ...
- Friday: TRICEPS DEFINITION WORKOUT | Ultimate Arms | by Guru Mann
TRICEPS WORKOUT VIDEO by Guru Mann. Biceps and Triceps advanced program where you can gain muscle mass and muscle definition and the program is ...
- Guru Paduka with lyrics and meaning
Guru Paduka Stotram is a well known and famous Stotra glorifying the Padukas of Guru. The devotees study it daily and when the meaning is also brought to ...
- Guru Ashtakam with Meaning
Sri Guru Ashtakam By Shri Adi Shankarcharya.
- Explanation about Bala by Guru Amritananda
Explanation about Bala by Guru Amritananda in Hyderabad.
- Divine Shlokas: Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu And Its Meaning By Trishna
'Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu Guru Devo Maheshwara' is a Sanskrit spiritual chant, recited in praise of the Trimurti, that is, Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord ...
- Terminology Guru, Dr. Gabriele Sauberer in India
During her visit to India, Gabriele dealt with the following three questions: 1. What is the role of terminology and terminology management in quality assurance?
- Dvorahji SHUT UP GURU -FUNNY! MEANING OF LIFE! MUSIC VIDEO
- GURU PURNIMA - The Meaning
Vishwaguruji Paramhans Sri Swami Maheshwarananda is founder of Yoga in Daily Life system Excerpt from Vienna 24 July 2015 To download this and other ...
- Meaning of Guru
- RA MA TV - Wahe Guru - Origins and Meaning - Guru Jagat
Clip From Guru Jagat's class "Architects of Sound - Wahe Guru - Session 1" at RA MA Institute in Venice, CA 11.24.14 To see the entire class go to...
- Intro. To Waheguru Simran - Meaning of Waheguru- Guru Ganesha Singh & Nirinjan Kaur
This is from Fall '08 - Peace Tour Concert - Toronto.
- An Overlook and Description of Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker - BBQ Guru Preferred Cookers
For a full description of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker check out...
- Language Guru
- Guru Vakyam - Grammar of Emotion vs Language of Logic
- Guru Vakyam ~ 13 March ~ SILENCE is the language of TRUTH
- Tainui language guru calls for language revitalisation efforts to return to iwi
The Government now spends about 220 million annually supporting Maori language programmes and services. But the number of people using te reo has ...
- Manorama News Career Guru Description
NIIT in Manorama News Career Guru.
- English Guru Free English language Learning Course
English guru offers you free step by step english language course online. By the end of the course you are able to speak english language.
- Love Guru JEEVITHA Full Live Download Description
- Guru English Language School
Guru English Language School is located in Chiang Mai, Thailand and is an excellent place to come and learn English as a second language.
- GURU SHAM: The most versatile word in the English Language...
Guru Sham explains the most versatile word in the English language...
See also the pronunciation examples of Guru!
Baby Sign Language (Baby Health Guru)
Does your baby wave bye-bye or blow kisses? Then your little one is already well on the way to expressing thoughts with signs!
Quotes about Guru
Scrabble value of G2U1R1U1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GURU
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Guru!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Guru to see it in context!