Hades appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- An angel to Hades abased a hot leg, Nana.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun Hades:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hades
- Phrases with Hades
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hades
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hades
- Photos about Hades
- Video language resources about Hades
- Quotes about Hades
- Scrabble value of H4A1D2E1S1
- Anagrams of HADES
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hades
What does hades mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- (Greek mythology) the god of the underworld in ancient mythology; brother of Zeus and husband of Persephone
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- scientific name: Aides
- synonym of Hades: Aidoneus
- instance of: Greek deity = a deity worshipped by the ancient Greeks
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
- (religion) the world of the dead
- example: No one goes to Hades with all his immense wealth
- domain: faith / religion / religious belief
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of Hades: Hell / infernal region / netherworld / Scheol / underworld
- more generic terms: fictitious place / imaginary place / mythical place = a place that exists only in imagination
- River Acheron / Acheron = a river in Hades across which the souls of the dead were carried by Charon
- River Cocytus / Cocytus = a river in Hades that was said to be a tributary of the Acheron
- River Lethe / Lethe = a river in Hades
- River Styx / Styx = a river in Hades across which Charon carried dead souls
- Hades was the ancient Greek god of the underworld. Eventually, the god's name came to designate the abode of the dead. In Greek mythology, Hades is the oldest male child of Cronus and Rhea considering the order of birth from the mother, or the youngest, considering the regurgitation by the father. The latter view is attested in Poseidon's speech in the Iliad.
- Hades - postać z Rycerzy Zodiaku. Pojawia się w 2 głównej serii anime Tartar. Jest jednym z bogów, który walczy o władzę nad światem. Jego plan zapowiadał spowodowanie Wielkiego Zaćmienia Słońca, by przez to umarło wszelkie życie na Ziemi. Przedstawiany jest jako wysoki młodzieniec o czerwonych włosach. Zazwyczaj jest on istotą w postaci energii Cosmo lub widma, gdyż swoje ciało trzyma w grobie w Elizjum dla bezpieczeństwa jego życia. Posiada on armię 108 Spectran oraz wiernie mu służącą Pandorę Heinstein, która ma go za swojego brata. Swoją siedzibę ma w Tartarze, w miejscu zwanym Giudecca.
- created by Masami Kurumada
- Hades is a fictional character, a god in the DC Comics universe based on the actual Hades from Greek mythology. He is primarily featured in the Wonder Woman series, alternately as a divine benefactor and enemy of the heroine.
- Hades is a fictional character from the anime TV series Ulysses 31.
- also known as Adesu, アデス
- Hades is a fictional character from the 2004 film Honey Baby.
- Hades is a fictional character from the 2004 film Appleseed.
"Hades" is a 1995 drama film directed by Herbert Achternbusch.
- country: Germany
- language: German Language
- producers: Steffen Kuchenreuther & Thomas Kuchenreuther
- art direction by Simone Nickl
- written by Herbert Achternbusch
- cinematography by Adam Olech
- edited by Herbert Achternbusch & Micki Joanni
- costume design by Ann Poppel
- genre: Drama
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Hades" is a musical album of Paulo Raposo & Marc Behrens.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Hades" a.k.a. "Hadès" is a musical album of Mondkopf.
- released on
- "Hades" is a composition.
Who is Hades?
Hades is a Polish rapper.
- born on (29 years ago)
- nationality: Poland
- member of musical group HiFi Banda
- read more about Hades (singer)
- Hades is a musical group.
- Bastian Emig between and
- album: "冥界"
- Hades a.k.a. Hades Almighty is a black metal band hailing from Bergen, Norway. They were formed in 1992, originally under the moniker Hades. They were forced to change their name to Hades Almighty in 1998, following complaints from an American band with a prior claim to the name.
- Hades is a musical group.
- albums: "The Downside", "DamNation", "Exist To Resist", "Resisting Success", "Savior$elf", "The Lost Fox Studio Sessions", "$avior$elf", "If At First You Don't Succeed '98", "Deliver Us From Evil"
- official website: hadesusa.com
hades is a record label.
Hades is a Thoroughbred racehorse who, when he won the New Zealand Derby in 1999, gave trainer Roger James his third Derby win in five years.
- born in (19 years ago)
- Hades a.k.a. The Hadès system was a short-range ballistic pre-strategic nuclear weapon system designed by France, as a last warning before use of strategic nuclear weapons, in the perspective of a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. It was designed from July 1984 as a replacement for the tactical road-mobile Pluton missile.
- read more about Hadès
- HADES refers to a family of signal processing computer programs that was developed in the 1980s at Haskins Laboratories by Philip Rubin and colleagues to provide for the display and analysis of multiple channel physiological, speech, and other sampled data in an experimental context. Principal programmers over the years on this project included Vance Maverick, Mark Tiede, Marian Pressler, and Simon Levy. The most significant feature of HADES was the incorporation of a procedural language known as SPIEL that provided for the creation and customization of specialized analysis procedures that can be stored as text files, edited, etc., and are similar to functions and subroutines in programming languages like C and Fortran. HADES was one of the earliest signal processing systems with an integrated language and, through the use of SPIEL, provided for automated procedural analysis of large datasets, usually speech data or multiple-channel physiological data acquired with specialized hardware such as the EMMA magnetometer system. Previous systems at the time included ILS from STI, Inc., and the MITSYN system designed by Bill Henke.
Phrases with Hades
- Acraea Hades
- Agrias Hades
- Bracon Hades
- Dreata Hades
- Erebia Hades
- Oriens Hades
- Stygia Hades
- Tharra Hades
- Elysius Hades
- Hysudra Hades
- Procris Hades
- Zygaena Hades
- Gadirtha Hades
- Typhlops Hades
- Archonias Hades
- Oeclidius Hades
- Catagramma Hades
- Deilephila Hades
- Lamprosema Hades
- Melanargia Hades
View more phrases with the word Hades in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hades
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Body of Myth (1994)
Mythology, Shamanic Trance, and the Sacred Geography of the Body by J. Nigro Sansonese
The underworld is called Hades ('Arbeg), an eponym for a god who is also called Edoneus (Aiboveog).
Where Did Jesus Go? (2013)
by Tommy Mann
Hades is a Greek word that refers to the ancient god of the underworld of mythology. Before...
The Arena (1895)
That this term has the same meaning as sheol, is proved by the fact that, in the Greek version of the Old Testament, then in common use among Jews and Christians, hades is the rendering of sheol in almost every instance of its occurrence.
A Walk Through Revelation (2010)
by John S. Darden
Hades is the Greek name and Sheol is the Hebrew name for the place of the departed dead. Luke has a lot of parables in it.
Hades is a place where the physically dead are fully conscious and able to think: 1. Isaiah 14:9-17 2.
Be Hopeful (1 Peter) (2010)
How to Make the Best of Times Out of Your Worst of Times by Warren W. Wiersbe
The word hades refers to the realm of the unbelieving dead, a temporary place where they await the resurrection. Read Revelation 20:11-15 in the New American Standard Bible or the New International Version and you will see the important ...
The Answer (1999)
by R.A. Torrey
Hades is the Greek equivalent of the Old Testament Hebrew word sheol. This Hebrew word sheol is frequently...
Genesis through Revelation (1984)
5 Volumes Genesis - Revelation by J. Vernon McGee
While death takes the body, hades is the place where the spirit of a lost man goes (see Luke 16:23, ASV). A literal translation of Romans 5:14 reads thus: “And nevertheless death became king from Adam down to Moses, even over them who ...
Born D.O.A. (2004)
by William G. Jones, William Jones
Hades is the New Testament Greek word that is the same place for when the spirit separates from the body at death and...
Nazarene Commentary (2010)
Volume Three: James to Revelation by Mark Heber Miller
Hades means un + seen or the place of the dead out of sight, buried in the ground. It is equivalent to the...
hades is a temporary place of storage of the dead who await the resurrection in an unconscious state of sleep. (Ecclesiastes 9:4, 5, 10; ...
Gospel Advocate (1825)
It is called Hades, which signifies an invisible place. - Q. Is the proper hell of torments called by this name P A. No ...
by Diane L. Cramer
Gunshot: Zeus Handicapped: Sun/Saturn = Admetos Healthy offspring: Moon Zeus Hereditary weakness: Sun/Neptune = Zeus Hidden illness: Hades Hindrance: Admetos Hunger: Hades = Sun/Pluto Immobility: Mars Admetos Infection of the ...
by Ph. D. James E. Smith
Hades OT: NT Hades us equivalent to OT Sheol which occurs 65x in Hebrew OT. Sheol is the abode of all the dead, both righteous and wicked (Job 30:23; Ps 9:17 ). It is to be distinguished from qebher, the grave. Because the grave was ...
by Everett Ferguson
scend into Hades to await the resurrection. Some had argued that Christ's descent into Hades had freed the saints from the obligation of sojourning there when they died; rather, they could enter immediately into paradise. Tertullian denied that ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hades
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hades
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ecphaff
Photo credit: DBduo Photography
Photo credit: @heyeased
Photo credit: SWARE.
Photo credit: Richard 'Tenspeed' Heaven
Photo credit: Kayeeee
- Housing in Hades
Photo credit: Daveness_98
- Entrance to Hades
Photo credit: Liamfm .
- Alone & Hades
Photo credit: Kayeeee
- The Hades II
Nikon D40 + Nikkor AF-S 18-55 GII ED + Hoya R72
1.6s - F/11 - 35mm - ISO200
Photo credit: Mypoorbrain
- Camper in hades
Photo credit: Mooganic
- Hypnos an Hades
Photo credit: Kayeeee
- La chimenea del hades
Photo credit: Vitizoom
- Road to hades
Photo credit: David NOrtes
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Hades
Click on an item to play that video:
- Hades Meaning
Video shows what Hades means. The god of the underworld and ruler of the dead, son of Cronus and Rhea, brother of Zeus and Poseidon.. The underworld, the ...
- Hands of Hades - Demonstration Video (w/ Explanation) - Testers Build 1.6.0
- Hades Grasps the Meaning of Existence When a Song by Arcade Fire Pops Into His Head
Hades enjoys music.
See also the pronunciation examples of Hades!
Quotes about Hades
Scrabble value of H4A1D2E1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HADES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Hades!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hades to see it in context!