Harem appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- A harem attache can assess an Aceh cat tamer… aha!
- One pat, not camera haste, gets a harem act on tape, no?
- No, define my harem misogyny; go simmer a hymen I fed on.
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun harem
What does harem mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: harems
- living quarters reserved for wives and concubines and female relatives in a Muslim household
Alternative definition of the noun harem
- The private part of an Arab household. In traditional Arab culture, this part of the household was forbidden to male strangers.
- A group of women, wives and/or concubines in a polygamous household.
- A group of female animals (cows) herded and controlled by a male animal (bull) of that species for breeding purposes. Such behaviour is exhibited by bovids including cattle and buffalo as well as moose, elephants, seals, sea lions, sea elephants.
- "Harem" is a 1985 French romantic drama directed by Arthur Joffé. It was filmed in Morocco, particularly El Jadida.
- country: France
- language: English Language
- director: Arthur Joffé
- production design by Alexandre Trauner
- written by Arthur Joffé
- Nastassja Kinski as Diane
- Ben Kingsley as Selim
- Zohra Sehgal as Affaf
- Dennis Goldson as Massoud
- Michel Robin as Monsieur Raoul
- Juliette Simpson as Zelide
- Rosanne Katon as Judy
- Norman Chancer as L'ingénieur américain
- Maurice Lamy as Mehmet
- Henri Sarde as Le réceptionniste
- Ibrahim Moussa as Le frère
- Teco Celio as L'ouvrier italien
- Karen Bowen as Mrs. Green
- Kamel Cherif as Rachid
- Jack Davidson as Boat man
- Bill Dunn as American worker
- Charmagne Eckert as Woman in church
- Guy Matchoro as French worker
- Michael Morris as Australian worker
- Jurgens Osterloh as German worker
- Nadim Sawalha as Haroud
- Jaron Yaltan as Uncle
- cinematography by Pasqualino De Santis
- music by Philippe Sarde
- genre: Drama
- released on (29 years ago)
- César Award for Best First Feature Film nomination for Arthur Joffé
- César Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Pasqualino De Santis
- César Award for Best Sound nomination for Dominique Hennequin & Pierre Gamet
- César Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Olga Berluti & Catherine Gorne-Achdjian
- César Award for Best Poster nomination for Michel Landi
- César Award for Best Costume Design, received by Catherine Gorne-Achdjian & Olga Berluti
- César Award for Best Poster, received by Michel Landi
- "Harem" a.k.a. "Harem Suare" is a 1999 Turkish drama film directed by Ferzan Özpetek. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1999 Cannes Film Festival.
- read more about Harem Suare
- "Harem": It all starts at a hammam. In the steamy bath, a French teenager discovers Arab sensuality at its best, like a thunderbolt. But when his young Moroccan leaves the building, he becomes invisible in the kasbah's alleyways.Our young hero sets out to follow him through the busy streets but, too far behind him, he gets lost in the souks where he will discover, in the back rooms of shops, the very particular hospitality of Eastern traders.Among the waves of bronzed men comes an ebony adonis, probably the most beautiful in all of Cadinot's collection.The play of his white clothes over his black skin gives his scenes an extraordinary sensuality. Without doubt, it is one of the most dazzling pages in the history of gay eroticism.Cadinot is responsible for the most sensual holiday programme on the subject of Northern Africa. Since these images, there must have been a onslaught of gay charter flights to Northern Africa!At the end of his chase, returning to the hammam, the French youth experiences a moment of intense heat in the middle of a group of young guys who are all different and very... undertaking.In the end, he finds the object of his desires in sensual scenes at the edge of the sea and in his bedroom.
- also known as Sex Bazaar
- countries: Morocco, France
- language: French
- director: Jean-Daniel Cadinot
- location: Morocco
- genre: Gay pornography
- released in (31 years ago)
- award: - Best Classic Gay DVD - GayVN (As Sex Bazaar - tied with Spokes), received by YMAC & French Art
- "Harem" a.k.a. "Guardian of the Harem" is a future adventure history and thriller film project written by Aylin Livaneli and Zülfü Livaneli.
- read more about Guardian of the Harem
Harem is a fictional character in the 2008 film Meet the Spartans.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Harem
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Reformed and Feminist (1991)
A Challenge to the Church by Johanna W. H. Van Wijk-Bos
The harem is the place where we are "queen," where the bills are paid and there is someone to stand between us and the world...
The Harem is a tributary to the Sun close to the fjord. The valley mouths at right angles to the Sun five hundred and forty...
The Harem is the deepest of all the high valleys. Its floor is one hundred and seventy metres lower than that of the Ot, ...
Animal Behavior (2015)
by Michael D. Breed, Janice Moore
KEY TERM A harem is a group of females associated with a single male. KEY TERM Resource defense polygyny occurs when male territoriality centers on a resource needed for breeding success. If multiple females join the male on the ...
God, Politics, Economy (2015)
Social Theory and the Paradoxes of Religion by Bulent Diken
As such, the harem is a prison. What is more crucial, however, is the women's numerical excess. As a relation between the one (despot/man) and the multitude (slaves/women), polygamy is what links the domestic and the political. Thus, in the ...
The Romance of the Harem (2009)
by Anna Leonowens
EVERY harem is a little world in itself, composed entirely of women, — some who rule, others who obey, and those who serve. Here disinterestedness vanishes out of sight. Each one is for herself. They are nearly all young women, but they ...
Charming Cadavers (1996)
Horrific Figurations of the Feminine in Indian Buddhist Hagiographic Literature by Liz Wilson
Samsara as a Mantrap Clearly, the harem is an image of samsara, the cycle of birth and death in which all but Buddhas are entrapped. Like Cattanar's cosmic cremation ...
A Review of Books, Register of Events, Magazine of Varieties: Comprising Interesting Intelligence from the Various Districts of the United Kingdom; the British Connexions in America, Africa, the East Indies, the West Indies, Western Asia &c. and from All Parts of the World ...
The royal harem is the center of these intrigues, and the eunuchs are the most active agents, as well as the most interested. - The women here, as in Turkey, act a distinguished part in all important affairs, al:hough they figure in them only by ...
Translation and Conflict (2006)
A Narrative Account by Mona Baker
Harem is the word ofthe outside looking in. Sha'rawi's termsrepresent the narrative perspective ofthe writerlyselflooking out andmoving about theworldin ways that seem natural toher (and whichare hardly morerestrictive thantheorbitsof the ...
by Ghada Hashem Talhami
HAREM. This is the practice of secluding women in a certain section of a royal or upper-class residence. The word “harem” (Arabic: harim) derives from the Arabic term “haram,” which connotes a sacred space unavailable to the general public.
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1883)
by Popular encyclopedia
HAREM (Arabic, the prohibited) is used by Mussulmans to signify the women's apartments, which are forbidden to every man except the husband and near relations. Those who are allowed this privilege by the Koran are fathers, fathers- in-law, ...
by Margaret Bunson
harem 157 The site might be “the High Place of Inhapi” of legend, reportedly a safe haven used originally for the royal mummies in the Deir el-Bahri cache. It was so named because of its position in the cliffs. Hapi (1) (Hopi, Hap, Hep) A ...
by Ga ́bor A ́goston, Bruce Alan Masters
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Harem
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Harem
Click on an item to view that photo:
Turkish Trip - Topkapi Palace
Photo credit: Sudharsan.Narayanan
Photo credit: Andrew Gustar
Photo credit: walknboston
- Harem del Palazzo Topkapi
Photo credit: Marcos.Zion
- To the harem...
via Instagram ift.tt/2qItWWt
Photo credit: KingTyrone
- The Harem at Topkapi Palace
Photo credit: alex.ch
- Harem Pants
Photo credit: lilbitbeth
- Sakide - Linen Harem
See the post ticklemetummy.com/sakide-the-black-market/
Photo credit: Tigist Sapphire
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Harem
Video shows what harem means. The private part of an Arab household. In traditional Arab culture, this part of the household was forbidden to male strangers.
See also the pronunciation examples of Harem!
Quotes about Harem
Scrabble value of H4A1R1E1M3
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HAREM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Harem!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Harem to see it in context!