Hawk appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Hitchcock Hawk Watch Spots Record Raptors
(Title of an article in the Neola Gazette)
- Hulk Hawk is hulking the hawk, Hawk Hulk is hawking Hulk ... Hawk hugs the hedgehog
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun hawk and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb hawk:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hawk
- Definition of the verb hawk
- Phrases with Hawk
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hawk
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hawk
- Photos about Hawk
- Videos about Hawk
- Sign language
- Quotes about Hawk
- Scrabble value of H4A1W4K5
- Anagram / semordnilap of HAWK
- Share this page
The word hawk is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hawk
What does hawk mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: hawks
- diurnal bird of prey typically having short rounded wings and a long tail
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: bird of prey / raptor / raptorial bird = any of numerous carnivorous birds that hunt and kill other animals
- more specific terms:
- eyas = an unfledged or nestling hawk
- tercelet / tiercel / tercel = male hawk especially male peregrine or gyrfalcon
- Accipiter gentilis / goshawk = large hawk of Eurasia and North America used in falconry
- Accipiter nisus / sparrow hawk = small hawk of Eurasia and northern Africa
- Accipiter cooperii / Cooper's hawk / blue darter = bluish-grey North American hawk having a darting flight
- chicken hawk / hen hawk = nontechnical term for any hawks said to prey on poultry
- buteonine = any hawk of the genus Buteo
- Buteo jamaicensis / red-tailed hawk / redtail = dark brown American hawk species having a reddish-brown tail
- rough-legged hawk / Buteo lagopus / roughleg = large hawk of the northern hemisphere that feeds chiefly on small rodents and is beneficial to farmers
- red-shouldered hawk / Buteo lineatus = North American hawk with reddish brown shoulders
- Buteo buteo / buzzard = the common European short-winged hawk
- Pernis apivorus / honey buzzard = Old World hawk that feeds on bee larvae and small rodents and reptiles
- kite = any of several small graceful hawks of the family Accipitridae having long pointed wings and feeding on insects and small animals
- harrier = hawks that hunt over meadows and marshes and prey on small terrestrial animals
- short-toed eagle / harrier eagle = any of numerous large Old World hawks intermediate in some respects between typical hawks and typical eagles
- falcon = diurnal birds of prey having long pointed powerful wings adapted for swift flight
- Pandion haliaetus / fish eagle / fish hawk / sea eagle / osprey = large harmless hawk found worldwide that feeds on fish and builds a bulky nest often occupied for years
- member of: Accipitridae / family Accipitridae = hawks; Old World vultures; kites; harriers
- young animal: eyas
- female animal: hen
- male animal: tiercel
- collective noun: cast (classic 15th-century term of venery that refers to only two "hawks of the tower", but in modern usage does not necessarily have the same numerical constraint; confusingly, hawks of the tower are technically falcons and not hawks) / aerie (classic 15th-century term of venery that refers to only two "hawks of the tower", but in modern usage does not necessarily have the same numerical constraint; it also refers to hawks and other birds of prey nesting high on a mountain top; confusingly, hawks of the tower are technically falcons and not hawks) / lease / leash (classic 15th-century term of venery that refers to only two "hawks of the tower", but in modern usage does not necessarily have the same numerical constraint; confusingly, hawks of the tower are technically falcons and not hawks) / flight (classic 15th-century term of venery that refers to only "hawks of the wrist" to include goshawks and sparrowhawks; hawks of the wrist are true hawks in the genus Accipiter) / staff (classic 15th-century term of venery that refers to only two "hawks of the tower", but in modern usage does not necessarily have the same numerical constraint; confusingly, hawks of the tower are technically falcons and not hawks) / flock / kettle (flying in large numbers) / boil (two or more spiralling in flight) / cauldron (migrating in large groups)
- collateral adjective: accipitrine / falconine
- an advocate of an aggressive policy on foreign relations
- a square board with a handle underneath; used by masons to hold or carry mortar
Alternative definition of the noun hawk
- A diurnal predatory bird of the family Accipitridae.
- antonym: dove
- [politics] An advocate of aggressive political positions.
- A plasterer's tool, made of a flat surface with a handle below, used to hold an amount of plaster prior to application to the wall or ceiling being worked on: a mortarboard.
- synonym: mortarboard
Definition of the verb hawk
What does hawk mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: hawked | hawking | hawks
- sell or offer for sale from place to place
- hunt with hawks
- clear mucus or food from one's throat
Alternative definition of the verb hawk
- [transitive] To hunt with a hawk.
- [transitive] To sell.
- [transitive] To forcibly attempt to cough up (phlegm).
- [intransitive] To clear the throat loudly.
- Hawk a.k.a. Coleman Hawkins: Coleman Randolph Hawkins, nicknamed Hawk and sometimes "Bean", was an American jazz tenor saxophonist. One of the first prominent jazz musicians on his instrument, as Joachim E. Berendt explained: "there were some tenor players before him, but the instrument was not an acknowledged jazz horn". While Hawkins is strongly associated with the swing music and big band era, he had a role in the development of bebop in the 1940s.
- read more about Coleman Hawkins
- Hawk a.k.a. Sokół, real name Wojciech Sosnowski is an MC born in Warsaw, Poland 11 March 1977. Founder of ZIP Skład and WWO, together with DJ Deszczu Strugi, and Jędker. He recorded four albums with WWO, three albums with Pono as Sokol feat. Pono and two albums with his girlfriend partner Marysia Starosta. He lives in Poland, but lived in Latvia and Georgia for two years. Estimated of his textes and thoroughgoing rap. Founder and co-owner of Prosto record label and clothing company.
- read more about Sokół
- Hawk a.k.a. Andre Dawson: Andre Nolan Dawson, nicknamed "The Hawk" and "Awesome Dawson", is a former American professional baseball player. During a 21-year baseball career, he played for four different teams as a center and right fielder, spending most of his career with the Montreal Expos and Chicago Cubs.
- read more about Andre Dawson
- Hawk a.k.a. Ralph Branca: Ralph Theodore Joseph Branca is a former starting pitcher in Major League Baseball. From 1944 through 1956, Branca played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, Detroit Tigers, and New York Yankees. He batted and threw right-handed.
- read more about Ralph Branca (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. Hawk Koch: Howard Winchel "Hawk" Koch, Jr. is an American motion picture producer and a former road manager for the musical groups The Supremes and The Dave Clark Five.
- read more about Hawk Koch
- Hawk a.k.a. Jeremy Hawk was a character actor with a long career in music halls and on London's West End stage.
- read more about Jeremy Hawk (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. Alex Kruz is an actor.
- read more about Alex Kruz (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. David Fishel is a film and television director, film and television editor, actor, voice actor, screenwriter, film producer, and a cinematographer.
- read more about David Fishel (cinematographer)
- Hawk a.k.a. Hawk Younkins is an actor and a wrestler.
- read more about Hawk Younkins (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. J.D. Hawkins was an actor, a film producer, film director and a screenwriter.
- read more about J.D. Hawkins (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. Alex Georgijev is an actor.
- read more about Alex Georgijev (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. Haukur Karlsson is a production designer.
- read more about Haukur Karlsson
- Hawk a.k.a. Hakan D'Onofrio: Hakan D'Onofrio is the son of Elizabeth D'Onofrio.
- read more about Hakan D'Onofrio (actor)
- Hawk a.k.a. Michael O'Hare Wallace: Michael O'Hare Wallace is an actor, film producer, screenwriter and casting director.
- read more about Michael O'Hare Wallace (actor)
- Hawk - zespół glammetalowy założony w Los Angeles w Kalifornii, w roku 1984. Był to jednorazowy projekt gitarzysty i nauczyciela gry na gitarze – Douga Marksa.
- Hawk is a musical group.
- albums: "I’m on Fire", "Rock N Roll"
- official website: www.hawkmusic.net
There are other groups with in their name, like Hawk Eyes, Black Hawk, Hawk Nelson, Parlor Hawk, Eagle & Hawk, Freedom Hawk, Mosquito Hawk, Tarantula hawk, Flash Hawk Parlor Ensemble, Wayne Massey and Black Hawk and A Hawk and a Hacksaw and the Hun Hangár Ensemble.
- Hawk a.k.a. Hawkair is a regional airline based in Terrace, British Columbia, Canada. It operates scheduled and charter regional passenger services in British Columbia and Alberta. Its main base is Northwest Regional Airport with a hub at Vancouver International Airport.
- official website: www.hawkair.ca
- The Hawk was a cyclecar built in Detroit, Michigan by the Hawk Cyclecar Company in 1914. The Hawk was belt-driven with a 9/13 hp V-twin engine. The vehicle was advertised for $390, and could seat two passengers side-by-side. It had a distinctive sloping bonnet line.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline, comic books and cartoon series. He is one of the original members of the G.I. Joe Team, and debuted in 1982. Hawk is portrayed by Dennis Quaid in the 2009 live-action film G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.
- Hawk a.k.a. Arton, called Hawk, is a military character in the Sacred Band of Stepsons fictional universe. The son of a poor fortuneteller named Illyra, Arton has been the companion of the god-child Gyskouras, called Kouras, since infancy. Because of Arton's relationship with Kouras, when the two boys are toddlers, NIkodemos takes Arton as well as Kouras to the misty isles of Bandara to be trained by the warrior-monks in the Bandaran mysteries.
- read more about Arton
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1991 animated feature film The Seventh Brother.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 2010 film Beneath the Blue.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 2013 comedy film Inappropriate Comedy.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1977 film Hitch-Hike.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1996 film Hawk's vengeance.
- Hawk is a fictional film character.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 2009 film Robbin' in Da Hood.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1961 film Gunfight at Black Horse Canyon.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1993 film Spenser: For Hire: Ceremony.
- Hawk is a fictional character in the 2013 film Redemption: The Darkness Descending.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1982 film 1990: The Bronx Warriors.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 2006 horror-action film Slayer.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1994 film Spenser: The Judas Goat.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the tv series American Gladiators.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 2001 film The Trumpet of the Swan.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1998 film Gunslinger's Revenge.
- Hawk is a fictional character from the 1994 action western TV movie Cheyenne Warrior.
- Hawk, also known as John Ross Freemark in Angel Fire East, is a fictional character from Terry Brooks' Genesis of Shannara trilogy of novels, written as a prequel to his Shannara series. The leader of the Ghost tribe, Hawk is a main character in the book Armageddon's Children.
- Hawk is a fictional film character.
- Hawk the birdman is a character from the second season of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and the alien sidekick to Buck Rogers. He is portrayed in the television series by Thom Christopher.
- Hawk is a fictional film character.
- Hawk is a fictional film character.
- Hawk is a fictional film character.
There are other characters with in their name, like T. Hawk, Hawk-Eye, Red Hawk, Sea Hawk, Blue Hawk, Fish Hawk, Mike Hawk, Red Hawk., Tony Hawk, Asian Hawk, Benjy Hawk, Black Hawk, Steve Hawk, Hudson Hawk, Little Hawk, Thunder Hawk, William Hawk, Eddie 'Hudson Hawk' Hawkins.
- Hawk is a 1966 drama crime TV series created by Allan Sloane.
- "Hawk" a.k.a. "The Hawk" is a 1993 British film starring Helen Mirren, George Costigan, Rosemary Leach, Owen Teale and Melanie Hill.
"Hawk" is an artwork by John Weeks.
- "Hawk" is the third collaborative studio album by Scottish indie pop singer Isobel Campbell and American alternative rock musician Mark Lanegan, released on 24 August 2010 on V2 Records. Recorded throughout the United Kingdom and the United States, Hawk features a number of guest musicians, including folk singer Willy Mason, bassist Bill Wells and former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha.
- "Hawk" is the second studio album by Rapper Big Hawk also known as HAWK.
- genre: Southern hip hop
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Hawk" is a musical EP of Lundegaard.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Hawk" is a musical album of Supernaught.
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Hawk" is a composition.
- "Hawk" is a musical album of Hawk.
- released in (29 years ago)
Hawk a.k.a. Hawk, Virginia: Hawk is an unincorporated community in Cumberland County, in the U.S. state of Virginia.
- read more about Hawk, Virginia
- Hawk: A hawk or hod is a tool used to temporarily hold a viscous material so that the user can apply that material to a surface using a different tool. It consists of a board about 25 cm square with a perpendicular handle fixed centrally on the reverse. The user holds the hawk horizontally with his or her non-dominant hand and applies the material on the hawk with a tool held in the other hand.
- Hawk is a TV Spot.
- Hawk is a family name.
Phrases with Hawk
Phrases starting with the word Hawk:
Phrases ending with the word Hawk:
- to hawk
- Bat Hawk
- hen hawk
- war hawk
- ball hawk
- fish hawk
- Gray Hawk
- Grey Hawk
- Tiny Hawk
- black hawk
View more phrases with the word Hawk in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hawk
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Birds of Northeast Texas (2002)
by Matt White
Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni The Swainson's Hawk is an fairly common migrant in the open areas of the Blackland Prairie and...
White-tailed Hawk Buteo albicaudatus The White-tailed Hawk is a accidental winter visitor at Cooper Lake.
The Prisoner's Dilemma (2015)
by Martin Peterson
Hawk is a dominant strategy for each player, because it yields a better payoff than dove no matter what strategy the other player may choose. equal to -10. If Benito holds out and Arturo confesses, (hawk, dove) is played. Arturo then goes free, ...
Birds of Florida (2012)
A Falcon Field Guide by Todd Telander
Red-shouldered Hawk, Buteo lineatus Family Accipitridae (Raptors) Size: 17” Season: Year-round in Florida Habitat: Wooded areas near water The Red- shouldered Hawk is a solitary, small, accipiter-like buteo with a long tail. It waits patiently ...
Speaking of Animals (1995)
A Dictionary of Animal Metaphors by Robert Allen Palmatier
The feathered hawk is an aggressive bird of prey. ATWS; IHAT. See also Hawkish. Compare...
Hawk is a back-formation from hawker (WNNCD: 1512), "a peddler," which is an alteration of Ger. Hoker (fr. hoken "to peddle"). The bird is in no ...
by Lucy Monroe
Sebastian Hawk is a master in business and in the bedroom.
Hawk is a speculator—rich today , ...
Integrating Public and Private Enforcement of Competition Law - Implications for Courts and Agencies by Philip Lowe, Mel Marquis
Barry Hawk is the Director of the Fordham Competition Law Institute and Senior Counsel at Labruna Mazziotti & Segni. Yolaine Seaton is a Dean's Fellow at Fordham Law School. 1American Safety Equipment Corp v J P Maguire & Co, 391 ...
by David Brian Plummer
'A hungry hawk is an obedient hawk.
by M. Ruse
By setting up the right numerical values, one can show that neither total Dove nor total Hawk is an ESS in a population, but that a certain proportion of each is. That is to say, one can show that a population of Doves is not stable, for individual ...
The Republic of Wine (2013)
A Novel by Mo Yan
A hawk is a very patient hunter. And since the initiative always rests with the attacker, the defender must never let down its guard, not for a minute. Suddenly the hawkswooped down like lightning, and the little demon reacted by rushing ...
Birds of West Virginia (2012)
A Falcon Field Guide by Todd Telander
Buteo lineatus Family Accipitridae (Hawks, eagles) Size: 17” Season: Summer Habitat: Wooded areas near water The Red-shouldered Hawk is a solitary, small, accipiter-like buteo that waits patiently on its perch before flying down to attack a ...
Cambodia, 1975-1978 (2014)
Rendezvous with Death by Karl D. Jackson
Hawk is an associate of the Columbia University Center for the Study of Human Rights and Director of the Cambodia Documentation Commission. KARL D. JACKSON, born in Massachusetts in 1942, was educated at Princeton ...
The Encyclopedia of Falconry (2000)
by Adrian Walker
HAWK, K ITCHEN Ferruginous hawk in flight. (W.S. Clark; FLPA, Images of Nature). south-western United States, south through to Chile, in sparsely wooded or more open, often arid, areas. Its usual prey is birds of various sizes, rabbits and ...
The Encyclopedia of Surfing (2005)
by Matt Warshaw
HAWKINS, MARY ANN Sam Hawk Never a keen competition surfer, Hawk nonetheless posted a few good results in the North Shore pro events, including a fourth in the 1972 Pipeline Masters and a third in the 1974 Duke Kahanamoku ...
by Hope B. Werness
HAWK Right: Nuna mask representing Swooping Hawk. Bayly Art Museum, University of Virginia, Charlottesville . HORSE Right: Neolithic bronze horse and sun chariot, from Trundholm,. birds were "cryptic" in the forest, ...
The Sportsman's Dictionary; Or, the Gentleman's Companion for Town and Country ... Illustrated with Copperplates ... The Fourth Edition (1792)
Branc/Jer, a young hawk, ner-'vly taken out ofthe nest, which can hop from bough to bough. Cage, that on which hawks are carried, when designed for sale. \ Caizce/lering, or ram-ella'ifiq; signifies (loopi-ing. - Car'yizzg, a hawk is said so to. du, ...
Black Hawk (Ma - ka - tae ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hawk
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hawk
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hawk at Lawrence Apartments!
Photo credit: N1NJ4
Photo credit: slgckgc
Photo credit: meashman
Photo credit: mikemol
Photo credit: Matt Romack Photography
Photo credit: fireflythegreat
Photo credit: spi516
Photo credit: cypher386
Photo credit: dground
Photo credit: akfoto
Photo credit: moose477
first time in Archeon
Photo credit: hans s
Photo credit: Fuzzy Gerdes
Hawk resting on wire
Photo credit: bagsgroove
Photo credit: Rebecca Suchland
Took this one from a long ways away.
Photo credit: Chris Sorge
Photo: Tony Grover
Photo credit: NWCouncil
Photo credit: akfoto
Is it a Red Kite?
Photo credit: PaulHorner
- Cooper's hawk
Photo credit: Monkeystyle3000
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Hawk
Click on an item to play that video:
- Animal Spirit Guide Meaning of Hawk
Power Animal Oracle Cards by Dr. Steven Farmer - a video blog by David Ferruolo.
- Camprodi DKV 2015 - "The Rising Hawk" / Jargon
Video panduan jargon Camprodi DKV 2015 "The Rising Hawk"
- Cooper's hawk Meaning
Video shows what Cooper's hawk means. Accipiter cooperii, a medium-sized hawk found from Canada to northern Mexico.. Cooper's hawk synonyms: ...
- Rufous-tailed hawk Meaning
Video shows what rufous-tailed hawk means. Buteo ventralis, a species of bird of prey in the Accipitridae family, found in southern Argentina and Chile.
- Hawk Meaning
Video shows what hawk means. A diurnal predatory bird of the family Accipitridae.. An advocate of aggressive political positions and actions; a warmonger..
- Quail hawk Meaning
Video shows what quail hawk means. The New Zealand falcon, Falco novaeseelandiae, formerly also Hieracidea novae-hollandiae.. Quail hawk Meaning.
- Like a hawk Meaning
Video shows what like a hawk means. With particular vigilance or attention, implying sharp vision.. Like a hawk Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Hawk - Limitations of Language
Hawk Limitations of Language (Original Mix)
- HAWK Julio - Clips and Fails #1 (DESCRIPTION !!!)
- Smart balance wheel ( io hawk phunkee duck) description
- BIRD LANGUAGE RED TAIL HAWK
- Hawk - Limitations of Language (Original Mix) HQ
Trance beauty :o 3:05 + is breathtaking!
- A Description of Hawk Walk and Gear | Irealand Vacation Activies
View more videos about Ball Hawk, hawk nose, Tony Hawk, Black Hawk, Snake Hawk, Hawk Nelson, Chicken Hawk, Sparrow Hawk, Armchair Hawk, Red-Tailed Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, Zone-Tailed Hawk, Watch Like a Hawk, White-Rumped Hawk, and Sharp-Shinned Hawk.
See also the pronunciation examples of Hawk!
Words by Hawk Nelson - Duet Acappella with American Sign Language
Words by Hawk Nelson sung for talent show while doing American Sign Language.
Quotes about Hawk
I don't think radio is selling records like they used to. They'd hawk the song and hawk the artist and you'd get so excited, you'd stop your car and go into the nearest record store. (Herb Alpert)
more quotes about hawk...
Scrabble value of H4A1W4K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of HAWK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Hawk!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hawk to see it in context!