On this page:
- Definition of the noun hellenic
- Definition of the adjective hellenic
- Phrases with Hellenic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hellenic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hellenic
- Photos about Hellenic
- Video language resources about Hellenic
- Scrabble value of H4E1L1L1E1N1I1C3
- Anagrams of HELLENIC
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hellenic
What does hellenic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- the Hellenic branch of the Indo-European family of languages
- region: Ellas / Greece / Hellenic Republic
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of Hellenic: Greek / Hellenic language
- more generic terms: Indo-European / Indo-European language / Indo-Hittite = the family of languages that by 1000 BC were spoken throughout Europe and in parts of southwestern and southern Asia
- more specific terms:
- Modern Greek / New Greek = the Greek language as spoken and written today
- Late Greek = the Greek language in the 3rd to 8th centuries
- Byzantine Greek / Medieval Greek / Middle Greek = the Greek language from about 600 to 1200 AD
- Koine = a Greek dialect that flourished under the Roman Empire
- Ancient Greek = the Greek language prior to the Roman Empire
Alternative definition of the noun hellenic
- The Greek language and its dialects from the earliest records (Linear B inscriptions, about 1600-1300 [B.C.E.]) to the present Modern Greek.
Definition of the adjective hellenic
What does hellenic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- relating to or characteristic of the classical Greek civilization
- of or relating to or characteristic of Greece or the Greeks or the Greek language
Alternative definition of the adjective hellenic
- Of or relating to the ancient Greek culture and civilization before the Hellenistic period.
- synonym: (Ancient only) Grecian
- Of or relating to Hellas (Greece) or the Hellenes (Greeks).
- synonym: Greek
Phrases with Hellenic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hellenic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Stevens Curl, Susan Wilson
Hellenic. *Greek architecture and culture from C10 BC to c.323 BC. Wy (1962)...
by Everett Ferguson
Hellenic Neoplatonists relied on the sacred scriptures of the Hellenistic and Roman religions. ChristianNeoplatonists turned to theBible. From this confluence of philosophyandreligion, a setofnorms was postulated that,iffollowed, ledtothe ...
Conflict in Ancient Greece and Rome: The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia [3 volumes] (2016)
The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia by Sara E. Phang, Iain Spence Ph.D., Douglas Kelly Ph.D., Peter Londey Ph.D.
In two clear-cut cases, Philip II of Macedon was elected as hegemon of the Hellenic League that met in Corinth in 338/7, and the same body elected Alexander the Great to the same position in 336/5. The authority of the hegemonial state was ...
by Shelley Rabinovitch, James Lewis
HELLENIC (GREEK) RECONSTRUCTIONIST RELIGION Hellenic (Greek) Reconstructionist religion has a great many...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hellenic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hellenic
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Hellenic
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Hellenic!
Scrabble value of H4E1L1L1E1N1I1C3
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HELLENIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Hellenic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hellenic to see it in context!