Herd appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- No herd acts in an onanist cadre, hon.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun herd:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun herd
- Definition of the verb herd
- Phrases with Herd
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Herd
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Herd
- Usage statistics about herd
- Photos about Herd
- Video language resources about Herd
- Quotes about Herd
- Scrabble value of H4E1R1D2
- Anagrams of HERD
- Share this page
The word herd is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun herd
What does herd mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: herds
- a group of cattle or sheep or other domestic mammals all of the same kind that are herded by humans
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic term: animal group = a group of animals
- more specific word: remuda = the herd of horses from which those to be used the next day are chosen
- a group of wild mammals of one species that remain together: antelope or elephants or seals or whales or zebra
- a crowd especially of ordinary or undistinguished persons or things
Alternative definition of the noun herd
- A number of domestic animals assembled together under the watch or ownership of a keeper. [definition from 11th c.]
- Any collection of animals gathered or travelling in a company. [definition from 13th c.]
- A crowd, a mass of people; now usually pejorative: a rabble. [definition from 15th c.]
- [context: now rare] Someone who keeps a group of domestic animals; a herdsman.
Definition of the verb herd
What does herd mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: herded | herding | herds
- cause to herd, drive, or crowd together
- example: We herded the children into a spare classroom
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] The teacher gathered the kids Verbs of Existence: accumulate, aggregate, amass, assemble, cluster, collect, congregate, convene, flock, gather, group, huddle, mass [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] together The teacher gathered the kids together [Theme - concrete, plural] [Verb] The kids are assembling [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Herman connected the computers together | Herman gathered the students together Verbs of Combining and Attaching: band, baste, cluster, collate, collect, gather, group, jumble, pair, roll, sew, shake, shuffle, stick [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] with / into / to [Patient 2] Herman gathered students into group2 [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs whisk easily | Most labels tape easily [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Sugar and cream whip together easily [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] with / into / to [Patient 2] Sugar whips into cream easily
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of herd: crowd
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific word: overcrowd = cause to crowd together too much
- move together, like a herd
- keep, move, or drive animals
- Herd a.k.a. The Herd were an English pop rock group, founded in 1965, that came to prominence in the late 1960s. They launched the career of Peter Frampton and scored three UK top twenty hits.
- read more about The Herd
- HERD is a musical group.
- Herd is the musical alias of Jason Thomson from Corby, Northamptonshire. The Herd sound is inspired by the electronic band The Future Sound of London, especially their 1994 ambient masterpiece Lifeforms. Initially, Herd created music using Sony ACID and showcased these tracks on the private bit.torrent site TheMixingBowl.org. After receiving positive feedback from members of the site he submitted some tracks to the American netlabel Future State of Rhythm.
- Herd a.k.a. Jason Thomson is an ambient music producer.
- read more about Jason Thomson (musical artist)
Herd: A herd is a social grouping of certain animals of the same species, either wild or domestic The form of collective animal behavior associated with this is referred to as herding.
Phrases with Herd
Phrases starting with the word Herd:
Phrases ending with the word Herd:
Other phrase containing the word Herd:
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Herd
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Mammoth Cheese (2007)
by Sheri Holman
The herd is the foundation of all wealth. It was a quote from the Roman historian Varro, and it was a clever lesson in etymology, for the Latin word for wealth, pecunia, comes from the word for cattle, pecus.
Who Owns the Stock? (2012)
Collective and Multiple Property Rights in Animals by Anatoly Michailovich Khazanov, Günther Schlee
Chapter 9 Individualization of Livestock Ownership in Fulbe Family Herds: The Effects of Pastoral Intensification and Islamic Renewal in Northern Cameroon Mark Moritz A man's herd is a complex organization of individuals tied to one another ...
by Valerius Geist
The controversy about the mixing of plains and wood bison in the Wood Buffalo herd is a threat to its future, as is the presence of tuberculosis and brucellosis due to Agriculture Canada's drive for a tuberculosis-free status for Canada's ...
Home and Field (1918)
N the minds of most farmers the chief individual item of expense in connection with the dairy herd is that incurred in the purchase of a sire. As a general rule farmers are not buying females; they raise whatever they may need in this respect; ...
Art and Laughter (2007)
by Sheri Klein
Stan Herd is a parodist who creates 2D re-creations of Vincent Van Gogh still-life paintings in Midwestern USA...
The New Leviathan (2014)
by Collingwood, R. G.
The Yahoo herd is an abstraction.1 In painting a picture of it we have been trying to describe what human life would be like if men were not social. 30. 73. Strip off in thought, from human life as it is, the features belonging to sociality and to the ...
Breeder and Dairyman (1922)
ALDENHEIM The Aldenheim herd is the joint property of J. M. Hemingway, Hampton, Iowa, and Clyde Sawyer, Latimer, Iowa, and is headed by King Pontiac Changeling Geiske, a remarkably well bred young bull whose pedigree includes a ...
Hoard's Dairyman (1914)
The herd is the sign to judge the manager by, and yet it is so often overHOT WEATHER the ideal time to use a looked entirely. One can...
A Novel by Kathleen Winter
The herd is a fabric you can't cut or tear, passing over the land. If you could see the herd from the sky, if you were a falcon or a king eider, it would appear like softly floating gauze over the face of the snow, no more substantial than a cloud.
The Light in High Places (2009)
A Naturalist Looks at Wyoming Wilderness, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Cowboys, and Other Rare Species by Joe Hutto
at a value of $7 or $8 a pound—well, do the math—that $4,200 from one bull herd is a cowboy's fortune. combining the antler value with one hundred or more prime coyote pelts, at a minimum value of $50 each, the addition of an airplane to ...
Free Range Pig Farming (2009)
Starting Out by Lee A. McCosker
We have found that on the occasions that we have an outbreak of lice or mange, the best remedy for a large herd is a chemical treatment. No matter what sort of treatment you use, ensure that the ears are treated as they are a breeding ground ...
Mr. Monk and Philosophy (2011)
The Curious Case of the Defective Detective by D. E. Wittkower
The herd is the Court of Public Opinion: it is the mass of unthinking followers of trends, public figures, and fads. The herd is made up of common humans and must be transgressed in order to achieve the full potential of human greatness: the ...
Encyclopedia of Epidemiology (2008)
by Sarah Boslaugh
Herd immunity describes a state in which an infectious disease transmissible through human contact is unlikely to spread because a large proportion of the population is immune to the disease. This immunity can be conferred through natural ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Herd
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about herd
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun herd:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb herd:
Photos about Herd
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: * Jerry *
Photo credit: tuchodi
(c) by Serval
Photo credit: Michael Beat
Highland coos on the way to Dun Ara
Photo credit: Paul Albertella
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: OKViydo
And their play-thing.
Photo credit: Paul_the_Seeker
- A herd of chamois
Photo credit: v923z
- Herd of Springbok - South Africa
Springbok in the Northern Cape, South Africa
Photo credit: South African Tourism
- Herd of Cows
Photo credit: StevenW.
- Herd of Deer
A herd of deer
Photo credit: oatsy40
- Sheep Herd
Photo credit: Kyle Taylor, Dream It. Do It.
- A small herd
Photo credit: Conor Lawless
View more pictures about The Herd.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Herd
Click on an item to play that video:
- Herd Meaning
Video shows what herd means. A number of domestic animals assembled together under the watch or ownership of a keeper.. Any collection of animals ...
- Herd instinct Meaning
Video shows what herd instinct means. herding instinct.. Herd instinct Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say herd instinct. Powered ...
- Boring Horse Herd language & behavior- Putting Words to actions - Rick Gore Horsemanship
- Herd (Noun) - Daily Dictionary
- Audio Herd Electronic Community | Brief Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Herd!
Quotes about Herd
Scrabble value of H4E1R1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HERD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Herd!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Herd to see it in context!