On this page:
- Definition of the noun hermaphrodite
- Definition of the adjective hermaphrodite
- Phrases with Hermaphrodite
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hermaphrodite
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hermaphrodite
- Photos about Hermaphrodite
- Quotes about Hermaphrodite
- Scrabble value of H4E1R1M3A1P3H4R1O1D2I1T1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hermaphrodite
What does hermaphrodite mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: hermaphrodites
- one having both male and female sexual characteristics and organs; at birth an unambiguous assignment of male or female cannot be made
Definition of the adjective hermaphrodite
What does hermaphrodite mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of animal or plant; having both male female reproductive organs
Alternative definition of the adjective hermaphrodite
- Having gender-ambiguous sexual organs, typically including both types of gonads, in one individual or organism.
- synonym: androgynous
- Combining two opposing qualities.
- synonym: hermaphroditic
- Hermaphrodite is a fictional character from the 1929 film Un Chien Andalou.
- Hermaphrodite is a fictional film character.
- "Hermaphrodite" is a composition.
- music by Edgar Froese
- "Hermaphrodite" is a musical album of Jes Kramer.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Hermaphrodite" is a musical album of Eric Copeland.
- released on (7 years ago)
- Hermaphrodite: In biology, a hermaphrodite is an organism that has reproductive organs normally associated with both male and female sexes. Many taxonomic groups of animals do not have separate sexes. In these groups, hermaphroditism is a normal condition, enabling a form of sexual reproduction in which both partners can act as the "female" or "male". For example, the great majority of pulmonate snails, opisthobranch snails and slugs are hermaphrodites. Hermaphroditism is also found in some fish species and to a lesser degree in other vertebrates. Most plants are also hermaphrodites.
- also known as Hermafrodit, Erdişilik, Hünsa, 雌雄間性
- Hermaphrodite: In 1860, French photographer Nadar took a series of photographs of a young intersex person, who had a male build and stature and who may have self-identified as female. Possibly done on commission by Armand Trousseau, the nine photographs have been described as "probably the first medical photo-illustrations of a patient with intersex genitalia". They were originally restricted for scientific uses, and Nadar did not publish them. Further photographs of intersex subjects followed over the next several decades, although there is no evidence that the photographers knew of Nadar's work.
Phrases with Hermaphrodite
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hermaphrodite
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Botanical Dictionary (1805)
Or, Elements of Systematic and Philosophical Botany by Colin Milne
The Order monogynia, containing hermaphrodite flowers with one pift ilium or female organ. 2. Digynia, hermaphrodite flowers with two pistils ; — a, the pistils detached from the flower. . , 3. Trigynia, hermaphrodite flowers with three pistils; ...
A Botanical Dictionary: Or, Elements of Systematic and Philosophical Botany ... The Second Edition, with Many Additions, and Illustrative Plates (1805)
by Colin MILNE
The Order msixagynia, containing hermaphrodite flowers with one pisti/Ium or female organ. 2. Digyzin, hermaphrodite HOWers with tWO pistils;-n, the piflils detached from the flower. 3. Tngynia, hermaphrodite flowers with three pistils ;-a, the ...
by David A. Bedworth, Albert E. Bedworth
HERMAPHRODITE of both sexes. 2.
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; or, universal dictionary of knowledge, on an original plan: comprising the twofold advantage of a philosophical and an alphabetical arrangement, with appropriate engravings (1845)
Edited by Edw. Smedley, Hugh Jam. Rose, and H. John Rose. (Text: voll. XXVI. Plates: voll. III. Index
Flowers hermaphrodite or unisexual, disposed in heads on a receptacle, which is surrounded by a many-leaved iuvolucrum, the scales of which are sometimes ...
Dictionary of Alchemy (2004)
by Mark Haeffner
Hermaphrodite 141 This is one of the most famous images in alchemy, its meaning inscrutable. It belongs to the mythology otconjunctio, the mystical marriage of alchemical sulphur and mercury. The name comes from the supposed birth of ...
The Universal Gardener and Botanist: Or, A General Dictionary of Gardening and Botany ... The Second Edition. Carefully Revised ... and Very Much Enlarged, Etc (1797)
by Thomas MAWE (and ABERCROMBIE (John) Horticulturist.)
five male organs, comprises plants having hermaphrodite flowers, with five stamina, and consists of six orders. The orders are, 1. PENT ANDRIA Mono GYN1A—five stamina and one style. 2. PENT ANDRIA ...
Bom - Bur
Petaloid hermaphrodite flowers adherent to the ovary, such as Narcissus. 4. Petaloid hermaphrodite flowers free from the ovary, such as the Lily.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hermaphrodite
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hermaphrodite
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Dmitry Dzhus
Photo credit: Cangul
Photo credit: soham_pablo
Taken in Louvre, Paris
Photo credit: Kim Yok G.
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: Max et ses friches
- Yossip Zadkine hermaphrodite
Photo credit: tongeron91
- Sleeping Hermaphrodite Front
Photo credit: miriam.mollerus
- Sleeping Hermaphrodite Back
Photo credit: miriam.mollerus
- Hermaphrodite Cow
a stencil of a hermaphrodite cow with both horns & utters.
Photo credit: *USB*
- Hermaphrodite (herm-a-fro-DYE-tee)
The elusive, betwixting JARY caught on film for the first time ever!
See the egress ---> (Ctrl-W)
Photo credit: Tom Verre
- Hermaphrodite Sleeping
Photo credit: Sharon Mollerus
- Hermaphrodite II
Photo credit: I M A U-M-N-B-N!
- Skimmia hermaphrodite
This form has both male and female flowers, so you don't need two plants in order to get berries ...
Photo credit: wallygrom
- L'hermaphrodite endormie
Salle des caryatides, Louvre, Paris, France.
Photo credit: La case photo de Got
- Room Hermaphrodite Mosaic
This mosaic floor, depicting scenes of fishing, dates from the 4th century AD. It comes from Castellarcione, a Borghese family estate.
Photo credit: daryl_mitchell
- Statue of Hermaphrodite, Archaeological Museum, Dion
Photo credit: Following Hadrian
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Hermaphrodite
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'hermaphrodite"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of H4E1R1M3A1P3H4R1O1D2I1T1E1
The value of this 13-letter word is 24 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hermaphrodite to see it in context!