Usage statistics for the verb hope:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hope
- Definition of the verb hope
- Phrases with Hope
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hope
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hope
- Usage statistics about hope
- Photos about Hope
- Videos about Hope
- Sign language
- Quotes about Hope
- Scrabble value of H4O1P3E1
- Anagrams of HOPE
- Share this page
The word hope is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hope
What does hope mean as a name of something?
Hope is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: hopes
- a specific instance of feeling hopeful
- the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled
- example: in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- antonym: despair
- more generic word: feeling = the experiencing of affective and emotional states
- more specific words:
- grounds for feeling hopeful about the future
- someone (or something) on which expectations are centered
- example: he was their best hope for a victory
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms: great white hope / white hope = someone (or something) expected to achieve great success in a given field
- United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (1903-2003)
- one of the three Christian virtues
Alternative definition of the noun hope
- [uncountable] The belief or expectation that something wished for can or will happen.
- [countable] The actual thing wished for
- [countable] A person or thing that is a source of hope
- (in Christianity) The virtuous desire for future good
Definition of the verb hope
What does hope mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: hoped | hoping | hopes
- expect and wish
- examples: I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise | They hope to move
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Experiencer] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] John oft hankered to move up the corporate ladder Verbs of Desire: ache, crave, fall, hanker, hunger, itch, long, lust, pine, pray, thirst, wish, yearn [Experiencer] [Verb] for [Theme] Danny longs for a sunny day [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, for-complement clause] I wished for her to do it Wish Verbs: aim, dream, expect, imagine, intend, mean, plan, propose, think, wish, yen [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with past participle] I wished the children found [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] He wished to come [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] He wished that she would come immediately [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, to be] I wished him to be nice [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] I wished it
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- synonyms of hope: desire / trust
- more generic word: wish = hope for
- be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes
- intend with some possibility of fulfilment
- example: I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, for-complement clause] I wished for her to do it [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with past participle] I wished the children found [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] He wished to come [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] He wished that she would come immediately [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, to be] I wished him to be nice [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] I wished it
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of hope: go for
- more generic terms: be after / plan = have the will and intention to carry out some action
- "Hope", also known as Wish, is a 2013 South Korean film directed by Lee Joon-ik, starring Sol Kyung-gu, Uhm Ji-won and Lee Re. It won Best Film at the 34th Blue Dragon Film Awards.
- also known as So-won, Sowŏn
- countries: South Korea, France
- language: Korean Language
- directors: Lee Joon-ik & Boris Lojkine
- Lee Re as Im So-won
- Sol Kyung-gu as Im Dong-hoon
- Uhm Ji-won as Kim Mi-hee
- Kim Hae-sook as Song Jung-sook
- Kim Sang-ho as Han Gwang-sik
- Ra Mi-ran as Young-seok's mother
- Yang Jin-sung as Do-kyung
- Kim Do-yeob as Han Young-seok
- Tae-won Kwon as Detective Squad Chief
- Jin-hyeok Kim as Detective Seo
- Sin-cheol Kang as Prosecutor
- Mi-kyung Kim as Vice Principle
- Song Young-Kyu as Psychiatrist
- Jeong Min-Seong as Reporter Kim
- An Se-Ha as Kokomong costumed part-timer 1
- Seo Hyun-woo as Paramedic
- Lee Seung-Taek as Police constable
- genres: Drama, East Asian cinema, World cinema
- rating: G
- released on
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Film
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Leading Actor in Film nomination for Sol Kyung-gu
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Film Director nomination for Lee Joon-ik
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Leading Actress in Film nomination for Uhm Ji-won
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Supporting Actress in Film nomination for Ra Mi-ran
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Screenplay nomination for Jo Joong-Hoon & Kim Ji-hye
- PaekSang Arts Award for Most Popular Actor in Film nomination for Sol Kyung-gu
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best New Actress in Film nomination for Lee Rae
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best New Actress in Film nomination for Lee Re
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Screenplay, received by Kim Ji-hye & Jo Joong-Hoon
- PaekSang Arts Award for Best Leading Actor in Film, received by Sol Kyung-gu
- "Hope" is a film, directed by Rich Ambler.
- "Hope" is a 1970 Turkish drama film, written and directed by Yılmaz Güney and Şerif Gören, featuring Güney as an illiterate horse cab driver, who, after losing one of his horses in an accident, sets out into the desert in a quest for a mythical lost treasure. The film, which wasn't released at the time because of a ban by Film Control Commission in Turkey, won awards at the 2nd Adana Golden Boll Film Festival, the 7th Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival and was screened at the 23rd Cannes Film Festival.
- also known as Umut
- country: Turkey
- language: Turkish Language
- directors: Yılmaz Güney & Şerif Gören
- producers: Abdurrahman Keskiner, Yılmaz Güney, Cevat Alkan
- written by Yılmaz Güney & Şerif Gören
- cinematography by Kaya Ererez
- edited by Celal Köse
- music by Arif Erkin
- genre: Drama
- released in (46 years ago)
- "Hope" is a 2014 French drama film directed by Boris Lojkine. It was screened as part of the International Critics' Week section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival where it won the SACD Award.
- country: France
- languages: English Language, French, Arabic Language
- producer: Bruno Nahon
- written by Boris Lojkine
- casting by Amine Louadni
- cinematography by Elin Kirschfink
- edited by Gilles Volta
- music by David Bryant
- genres: Drama, Thriller, Political drama
- released on
- "Hope" a.k.a. "Hope?" is a 2013 animation comedy short film directed by Simone Giampaolo, Yifan Hu and Henrik Linnes.
- also known as Espero?
- countries: United Kingdom, Switzerland
- languages: English Language, Spanish Language
- directors: Henrik Linnes, Simone Giampaolo, Yifan Hu
- producer: Simone Giampaolo
- art direction by Yifan Hu
- written by Simone Giampaolo & Petter Vilberg
- starring: Mariana Evlogieva
- edited by Simone Giampaolo
- music by Roberto Arroba Piedra
- genres: Animation, Comedy
- released on
- "Hope" is a 2011 short, drama and war film written and directed by Pedro Pires.
- also known as Esperanza
- country: Canada
- language: French
- producers: Phoebe Greenberg & Penny Mancuso
- production design by Catherine Chagnon
- art direction by Francis Tremblay
- written by Pedro Pires
- cinematography by Pedro Pires
- edited by Pedro Pires & Aube Foglia
- music by Robert Marcel Lepage
- costume design by Renata Morales
- set decoration by François Bergeron, Geneviève Burke, Mark Donato, Joël Dumoulin, Frédéric Vignal
- genres: War film, Drama
- rating: 14A (Canada)
- released on (4 years ago)
- award: - Genie Award for Best Live Action Short Drama nomination for Pedro Pires, Phoebe Greenberg, Penny Mancuso
- official website: www.hope-movie.com
- "Hope" is a short animated film.
- also known as Esperança
- country: Brazil
- genre: Animation
- released in
- "Hope" is a 1997 made-for-TV film directed by Goldie Hawn released on October 19, 1997.
- begun in (19 years ago)
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- executive producer: Goldie Hawn
- production design by Linda Burton
- set decoration by David Smith
- genre: Drama
- released on (18 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress In A Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television nomination for Jena Malone
- Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie (Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Special) nomination for J. T. Walsh
- "Hope" is a 2006 Telugu film directed by Satish Kasetty. The film was showcased at International Film Festival of India in 2008. As director, he has won the National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues. He was the jury member for South Region II at the 59th National Film Awards.
- country: India
- languages: English Language, Telugu language
- producer: Policherla Venkata Subbiah
- written by Satish Kasetty
- cinematography by Sarath
- edited by Bul Reddy
- music by Ilaiyaraaja
- genre: Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- award: - National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues, received by Policherla Venkata Subbiah & Satish Kasetty
- "Hope" a.k.a. "Leaps and Bounds": Hoppet is a 2007 motion picture directed by Petter Næss.
- read more about Leaps and Bounds
- "Hope" is a BBC Books original novel written by Mark Clapham and based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. It features the Eighth Doctor, Fitz and Anji.
- character: Eighth Doctor
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 2002-02
- "Hope" is a 1995 spy novel by Len Deighton. It is the second novel in the final trilogy of three about Bernard Samson, a middle-aged and somewhat jaded intelligence officer working for the British Secret Intelligence Service. Hope is part of the Faith, Hope and Charity trilogy, being preceded by Faith and followed by Charity. This trilogy is preceded by the Game, Set and Match and the Hook, Line and Sinker trilogies. Deighton's novel Winter is a prequel to the nine novels, covering the years 1900-1945 and providing the backstory to some of the characters.
Hope is a fictional character in the television series Xena: Warrior Princess. She is the daughter of Dahak, born of Gabrielle. Hope is a recurring villainess in the third season, portrayed by Amy Morrison and Renée O'Connor.
- "Hope" is a Symbolist oil painting by George Frederic Watts, two versions of which were completed in 1886. The painting was intended to form part of a series of allegorical paintings by Watts entitled the "House of Life".
- completed in (130 years ago)
- "Hope" is a late oil painting by the Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones. It was painted on commission for Mrs. George Marston Whitin of Whitinsville, Massachusetts in 1896.
- completed in (120 years ago)
- media: oil paint
- "Hope" is the twelfth album in the live praise and worship series of Christian Contemporary music by Hillsong Church. The album reached No. 3 on the ARIA Albums Chart.
- "Hope" is the second EP released by Australian Post-Hardcore band Dream On, Dreamer. It was released on the 4th of June 2010 via their Australian label We Are Unified.
- "Hope", released in September 1977, is the second album by the Canadian progressive rock group Klaatu. It is a concept album, recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra, about the sole survivor of an arrogant race of beings, who warns space travellers of hazards in the last days of his life.
- "Hope" is a song performed by Twista and features Faith Evans performing the chorus. The song mainly focuses on Twista's view on the War on Terrorism. The version featuring Faith Evans can also be found on her album The First Lady.
- "Hope" is the third album by Finnish melodic death metal / doom metal band Swallow the Sun. It was released February 7, 2007. Guest vocals by Jonas Renkse of Katatonia were featured on "The Justice of Suffering". The Limited Edition version includes "These Lowlands" a Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus cover.
- "Hope" is the second official single from American musician Jack Johnson's album Sleep Through the Static. It was released in May 2008 as a digital download.
- music by Jack Johnson
- "Hope" is a musical album of Manchester Orchestra.
- released on
- "Hope" is the third studio album by Welsh post-hardcore band The Blackout. The album was first announced in mid-2010 that the band had begun work on the album. The album was recorded at the end of 2010 and was funded by donations by fans on the website PledgeMusic. Due to drummer Gareth "Snoz" Lawrence injuring himself prior to the recording of the album he does not drum on the album, his place was taken by drummers Phillip Jenkins of Kids in Glass Houses and Tom Winch of Hexes.
- "Hope" is an EP by Palace Songs, released in 1994 through Drag City Records. The title "Agnes, Queen of Sorrow" is a reference to the short story "Jane Sinclair; or, the Fawn of Springvale" by 19th century author William Carleton.
- artist: Will Oldham
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Hope" is the second EP of a trilogy released by American rock band Hawthorne Heights, released through the band's own record label, Cardboard Empire. Hope was released for digital download on June 5, 2012. It is also the second release by the band to contain a title track.
- released on
- "Hope" is a CD single by jazz pianist Toshiko Akiyoshi and singer Monday Michiru released in Japan on the Nippon Crown Record label. The instrumental version of the song "Hope" was taken from the 2006 Akiyoshi album of the same name, Hope. The composition "Hope" is the closing section of Akiyoshi's "Hiroshima: Rising from the Abyss" suite, first introduced on the 2001 Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra album Hiroshima - Rising From The Abyss.
- "Hope" is the debut album by American hip hop duo Non-Prophets. It was released on Lex Records in 2003. The album is produced entirely by Joe Beats and all vocal duties are handled by Sage Francis.
- genre: Hip hop music
- released on (12 years ago)
- Hope a.k.a. Justine Joli is the stage name of an American adult model and pornographic actress.
- read more about Justine Joli
- Hope a.k.a. Cindy Hope is a Hungarian pornographic actress. She identifies as bisexual.
- read more about Cindy Hope
- HOPE is a Canadian punk rock band formed in 1992 based out of Riverview. The band consists of songwriter/guitarist/vocalist Dana Robertson, bassist Jamie "Jimmy" Oldfield, songwriter/guitarist/vocalist Marco "The Chief" Rocca, and drummer Tom "T-Bone" Antle.
- Hope were an English five-piece girl group consisting of Charlie Mole, Emily Biggs, Raquelle Gracie, Leah Lauder and Phoebe Brown, who found fame on fourth series of The X Factor.
There are other groups with in their name, like hope 7, Hope's, Last Hope, This Hope, Broken Hope, Evelyn Hope, Ryan's Hope, As Hope Dies, Dusk of Hope, Hope Estheim, Hope Factory, Hope In Hand, If Hope Dies, Mary My Hope, Faintest Hope, Hope Departed, Israel's Hope, Signs of Hope, The Last Hope and Banner of Hope.
- Hope is a city in Hempstead County in southern Arkansas, United States. Hope is the county seat of Hempstead County and the principal city of the Hope Micropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Hempstead and Nevada counties. Hope is the hometown of two long-serving Arkansas governors: Bill Clinton and Mike Huckabee.
- Hope is a town in Haw Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana, United States, known for its historic character. The population was 2,102 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Columbus, Indiana, metropolitan statistical area.
- Hope is a city in Bonner County, Idaho. The population was 86 at the 2010 census.
- Hope is a census-designated place in Kenai Peninsula Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census the population was 192.
- Hope is a city in southern Dickinson County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 368. The motto of Hope is "There Will Always Be Hope In Kansas", which is also the name of a song.
- Hope is a city in Steele County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 258 at the 2010 census. Hope was founded in 1881.
- Hope is a village in Eddy County, in southern New Mexico, USA. It is about 20 miles due west of Artesia on U.S. Route 82. It has had a Post Office since 1890.
- Hope is a town in Knox County, Maine, United States. The population was 1,536 at the 2010 census.
- Hope is a village in the Derbyshire Peak District, in England. It lies in the Hope Valley, at the point where Peakshole Water flows into the River Noe. To the north, Win Hill and Lose Hill stand either side of the Noe.
- Hope is a town in Hamilton County, New York, United States. The population was 403 at the 2010 census.
- Hope a.k.a. Hope Township is a township in Warren County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 1,952, reflecting an increase of 61 from the 1,891 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 172 from the 1,719 counted in the 1990 Census. The 2010 Census population marked the first decennial census in which the township's population exceeded the 1,903 recorded in the 1840 Census, the first recorded population after the township was formed.
- read more about Hope Township (town)
- Hope is a small village in Flintshire, north-east Wales. The village is located approximately 3 miles / 4.5 km from the Wales-England border, on the course of the River Alyn.
- also known as Hope, Flintshire
- part of United Kingdom
- Hope is a small unincorporated community in the deserts of La Paz County, Arizona, United States. Its name was inspired by the community's hope for increased business after merchants visited the town. Today, it consists of one RV park, one gas station, one church, and one antique store.
- Hope is a neighborhood on the northern border of Providence, Rhode Island. To the west, it is bounded by North Main Street, the North Burial Ground, and Interstate 95, while Rochambeau Ave, Hope Street, and the Providence-Pawtucket city line roughly delineate its boundaries to the south, east, and north respectively. Hope is sometimes referred to as Summit, named for the street that runs through the middle of the neighborhood. Though "Hope" is officially recognized, residents and the local neighborhood organization more often use "Summit".
- Hope, previously known as Ranzau, is a small settlement south of Nelson, New Zealand, between Richmond and Wakefield.
- also known as Hope, New Zealand
- part of New Zealand
- Hope is an unincorporated community in the town of Blooming Grove in Dane County, Wisconsin, United States. It lies just southeast of Madison.
- Hope a.k.a. Hope, Minnesota: Hope is an unincorporated community in Somerset Township, Steele County, Minnesota, United States.
- read more about Hope, Minnesota
- Hope is located in Gardner, Louisiana. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1984.
- Hope a.k.a. Hope, Kentucky: Hope is an unincorporated community within Montgomery County, Kentucky, United States.
- read more about Hope, Kentucky
- Hope is a passenger rail station in Hope, Arkansas.
- part of Hope
There are other places with in their name, like Mt. Hope, New Hope, Camp Hope, East Hope, Glen Hope, Good Hope, Hope Cafe, Hope Farm, Hope Park, Port Hope, Silk Hope, Hope Lodge, Hope Mills, Hope Ranch, Mount Hope, Point Hope, Hope Island, Little Hope.
- Hope is one of the three theological virtues in Christian tradition. Hope being a combination of the desire for something and expectation of receiving it, the virtue is hoping for Divine union and so eternal happiness. Like all virtues, it arises from the will, not the passions.
- The Hope was an American brig class merchant ship involved in the Maritime Fur Trade along the northwest coast of North America and discovery in the Pacific Ocean. Earlier the vessel was involved in the slave trade.
- Hope is a small functional programming language developed in the 1970s at Edinburgh University. It predates Miranda and Haskell and is contemporaneous with ML. Hope was derived from NPL, a simple functional language developed by Burstall and Darlington in their work on program transformation. NPL was, in turn, derived from Kleene Recursion Equations. NPL and Hope are notable for being the first languages with call-by-pattern evaluation and algebraic data types. SNOBOL is even older, and its 'patterns' may qualify as a hybrid between call-by-pattern and regular expression matching. Hope is an important language in the development of functional programming.
- Hope is the sixth studio album by Scottish singer Susan Boyle. It was released on 21 October 2014 in North America by Syco Music. The album contains renditions of classic ballads and uptempo songs themed around inspiration and hope as Boyle sees those as the "two elements we all need in our life to drive us forward and inspire us to go out and capture our dreams- they worked for me after all.
- Hope is a cigarette brand produced and sold worldwide by various manufacturers. It is manufactured in the Philippines by Fortune Tobacco Corporation, and in Japan by Japan Tobacco. Please note that although the logo design may be be same, the Philippine Hope cigarettes are long and menthol and come in a pack of 20, and Japanese Hope cigarettes are very short, non-menthol, and come in packs of 10. The pack of cigarettes in the above photo are from Japan. A pack of Peace cigarettes are also shown.
- Hope is a political party in Slovakia. It was founded in 2006 after a split from the Alliance of the New Citizen by Jirko Malchárek, František Tóth and Alexandra Novotná. From its inception it was widely considered by experts to be a doomed project. In the Slovak parliamentary election in 2006, the party did not gain a seat in the Slovak Parliament.
- Hope is an educational institution, school.
- Hope is an oyster sloop that was completed in 1948. It is believed to be the last sail-powered oystering vessel built on the Long Island Sound. Hope is 56 feet long, including the bowsprit, and 42 feet 2 inches at the waterline. Its beam is 15 feet 2 inches, and it draws 4 feet 9 inches with the centerboard up. Hope is gaff rigged, 'V'-bottomed and has an 850-pound centerboard. Hope's shallow draft facilitated shoal water work.
- hopE is a gene.
Phrases with Hope
Phrases starting with the word Hope:
Phrases ending with the word Hope:
Other phrases containing the word Hope:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hope
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gale, Cengage Learning
“Hope Is a Tattered Flag” is written in free verse—the rhythm is closer to that of speech than the more regular metrical patterns of traditional poetry. Among American poets, Walt Whitman is the bestknown pioneer of this style, a writer whose ...
Hope Is a Decision (2017)
Selected Essays by Daisaku Ikeda
Hope changes everything, starting with our lives. Hope is the force that enables us to take action to make our dreams come true. It has the power to change winter into summer, barrenness to creativity, agony to joy. As long as we have hope, ...
Hope & Joy (2014)
by Ronald Harvey Wohl
Hope is An Angel ............................. ...........................................63 Hope is Being...
Hope is A Wish ...........................................................................79 Hope is The ...
Containing Sketches of Life, Compositions, Essays, Disputations, Poems, Etc by Seabred Dodge Pratt
Hope is an image bright, from a mirror taken, Hope is a dream at night, gone when we awaken.
Including Phrases, Mottoes, Maxims, Proverbs, Definitions, Aphorisms, and Sayings of Wise Men, in Their Bearing on Life, Literature, Speculation, Science, Art, Religion, and Morals Especially in the Modern Aspects of Them
Hope is a lover's staff ; walk hence with that, / And manage it against despairing thoughts.
Hope is the affective element of faith that appeals to our imaginations rather than to our intellects. For the...
(alphabetically Arranged); Consisting of Definitions, Metaphors, Similes, Emblems, Contrasts, Analogies, Statistics, Synonyms, Anecdotes, Etc., Etc by John Bate
Hope is an active grace ; it is called a lively hope.
"Hope is a now garment, starched and stiff and glittering; but it has never yet been worn, and hence one does not know whether it will fit,
Hope is a beautiful girl who slips away through your fingers; memory is a handsome old lady...
For hope is an alluring fruit that fails to satisfy; and memory is a miserable pittance that fails to satisfy; but repetition is the daily bread that not only satisfies but blesses.
Hope in the Age of Anxiety (2009)
by Anthony Scioli, Henry Biller
Breznitz's fourth metaphor characterizes hope as a problem-solving feat, a skill requiring certain capacities such as planning and the use of imagery. In this sense, hope is an art form or act of adaptation that some people seem to carry off with ...
Reading the Written Image (1991)
Verbal Play, Interpretation, and the Roots of Iconophobia by Christopher Collins
Hope is a positive, we might argue, in that it acknowledges the disparity between reality and our expectations, but it is also a denial of reality, a refusal to accept reality on its...
Encyclopedia of Leadership (2004)
by George R. Goethals, Georgia J. Sorenson, James MacGregor Burns
Hope is a positive motivational construct that is related to effective goal attainments in a variety of life arenas—one of which is leadership. In this regard, hope (as defined by clinical psychologist C. R. Snyder ) is a pattern of thinking in ...