Horse appears in the following tongue twister:
- One-one was a race horse.
Two-two was one too.
One-one won one race.
Two-two won one too.
Horse appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- "Nurse to men a horse muffles, rehearsed Desrae herself fumes," Rohan emotes, "Run!"
- "One vital error!" retaliates Rohan, a cosy baby, "So can a horse tail a terror relative… no?"
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun horse:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun horse:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun horse
- Definition of the verb horse
- Phrases with Horse
- Printed books with definitions for Horse
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Horse
- Photos about Horse
- Video language resources about Horse
- Sign language
- Quotes about Horse
- Scrabble value of H4O1R1S1E1
- Anagrams of HORSE
- Share this page
The word horse is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun horse
What does horse mean as a name of something?
Horse is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: horses / horse
- solid-hoofed herbivorous quadruped domesticated since prehistoric times
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Equus caballus
- more generic words: equid / equine = hoofed mammals having slender legs and a flat coat with a narrow mane along the back of the neck
- more specific terms:
- roan = a horse having a brownish coat thickly sprinkled with white or gray
- stable companion / stablemate = a horse stabled with another or one of several horses owned by the same person
- gee-gee = a word for horse used by children or in adult slang
- dawn horse / eohippus = earliest horse
- mesohippus = North American three-toed Oligocene animal
- protohippus = Pliocene horse approaching donkeys in size
- male horse = the male of species Equus caballus
- female horse / mare = female equine animal
- riding horse / saddle horse / mount = a lightweight horse kept for riding only
- pony = a range horse of the western United States
- polo pony = a small agile horse specially bred and trained for playing polo
- wild horse = undomesticated or feral domestic horse
- hack = a horse kept for hire
- hack / jade / plug / nag = an old or over-worked horse
- pony = any of various breeds of small gentle horses usually less than five feet high at the shoulder
- race horse / racehorse / bangtail = a horse bred for racing
- steeplechaser = a horse trained to run in steeplechases
- stalking-horse = a horse behind which a hunter hides while stalking game
- harness horse = horse used for pulling vehicles
- workhorse = a horse used for plowing and hauling and other heavy labor
- post horse / post-horse / poster = a horse kept at an inn or post house for use by mail carriers or for rent to travelers
- pacer = a horse trained to a special gait in which both feet on one side leave the ground together
- high stepper / stepper = a horse trained to lift its feet high off the ground while walking or trotting
- chestnut = a dark golden-brown or reddish-brown horse
- liver chestnut = a solid dark brown horse
- bay = a horse of a moderate reddish-brown color
- sorrel = a horse of a brownish orange to light brown color
- palomino = a horse of light tan or golden color with cream-colored or white mane and tail
- pinto = a spotted or calico horse or pony
- encolure = the mane of a horse
- horseback = the back of a horse
- horse's foot = the hoof of a horse
- withers = the highest part of the back at the base of the neck of various animals especially draft animals
- gaskin = lower part of a horse's thigh between the hock and the stifle
- poll = the part of the head between the ears
- horseflesh / horsemeat = the flesh of horses as food
- member of: Equus / genus Equus = type genus of the Equidae: only surviving genus of the family Equidae
- member: foal = a young horse
- young animal: foal (horse of either sex less than one year old) / suckling (nursing foal) / weanling (foal that has been weaned) / yearling (horse of either sex that is between one and two years old) / colt (male horse under the age of four) / filly (female horse under the age of four)
- female animal: mare (female horse four years old and older) / dam
- male animal: stallion (non-castrated male horse four years old and older) / stud / gelding (castrated male horse)
- collective noun: stable / stud / harras / harrase / herd (wild horses) / band (wild horses) / team (work horses in harness) / rag (colts) / rake (colts) / string (ponies) / field (racehorses)
- collateral adjective: equine
- a padded gymnastic apparatus on legs
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of horse: gymnastic horse
- more generic terms: exerciser / gymnastic apparatus = sports equipment used in gymnastic exercises
- more specific terms:
- troops trained to fight on horseback
- example: 500 horse led the attack
- domain: armed forces / armed services / military / military machine / war machine
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of horse: cavalry / horse cavalry
- more generic terms: military personnel / soldiery / troops = soldiers collectively
- member: cavalryman / trooper = a soldier in a motorized army unit
- a framework for holding wood that is being sawed
- a chessman shaped to resemble the head of a horse; can move two squares horizontally and one vertically (or vice versa)
Alternative definition of the noun horse
- A hoofed mammal (scientific name Equus caballus).
- [context: zoology] Any current or extinct animal of the family Equidae, including the zebra or the ass.
- [uncountable] Cavalry soldiers (often capitalized).
- synonym: knight
- In gymnastics, a piece of equipment with a body on two or four legs, approximately four feet high with two handles on top.
- [context: chess] The chess piece representing a knight, depicted as a man in a suit of armor and often on a horse, hence the nickname.
- [slang] A large person.
- [nautical] A rope stretching along a yard, upon which men stand when reefing or furling the sails; foot ropes.
- [slang] The sedative, anti-depressant, and anxiolytic drug morphine, chiefly when used illicitly.
- [uncountable, slang] Heroin.
Definition of the verb horse
What does horse mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: horsed | horsing | horses
- provide with a horse or horses
Phrases with Horse
Phrases starting with the word Horse:
Phrases ending with the word Horse:
View more phrases with the word Horse in thesaurus!
Printed books with definitions for Horse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Deductive Logic (1888)
by St. George Stock
A white horse is a white quadruped. § 536. Such inferences are very deceptive. The attributes added must be definite qualities, like whiteness, and must in no way involve a comparison. From ' A horse is a quadruped ' it may seem at first sight ...
by Rupert Read
"The animal horse is an animal” is a sentence that...
by David Salomon
A Trojan horse is a common type of rogue software. Such a program hides in a computer and has some malicious function. In contrast to viruses and worms, Trojans do not replicate. This chapter summarizes the main features of Trojans and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Horse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Horse
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: debbilytle
Photo credit: losman500
Photo credit: edwaado
snow snowing white horse
Photo credit: elisaboba
What are you looking at???
Photo credit: dboy
Photo credit: toholio
Photo credit: ANGELOUX
Photo credit: vallgall
Photo credit: Ian Webb (jukebox)
Photo credit: isamiga76
Photo credit: .christoph.G.
Photo credit: Danel Solabarrieta
Up in Mongolia for a few days
Photo credit: Jonathan Kos-Read
@ camp ketcha
Photo credit: shoothead
Photo credit: kulmalukko
Photo credit: My Photo Journeys
Horse in a Belgium forest
Photo credit: Xavie Austen
Photo credit: ANGELOUX
Scarlet Heights, Queensbury
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
Photo credit: Heavenguest
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Horse
Click on an item to play that video:
- Horse Vocabulary
- Horse Meaning
Video shows what horse means. Of, like, or closely associated with the animal Equus ferus caballus. A hoofed mammal, often used throughout history for riding ...
- Racing Term #153 "Horse" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Racing Term #155 "Horse Path" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Racing Term #345 "Trip Horse" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Ana Forrest Speaks About What the Meaning of Wind Horse Is
OFFICIAL VIDEO: Ana T. Forrest, Creatrix of Forrest Yoga, Speaks about what the meaning of the term, "Wind Horse" means to her.
- Horse and Riding - Conversation and Vocabulary
Horse and Riding - Conversation and Vocabulary.
- Kaimanawa horse Meaning
Video shows what Kaimanawa horse means. A hardy feral horse of New Zealand, descended from the domestic horses released in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- DEFINITION of a good horse
- Signs of discomfort on a Horse body language and emotions
Signs of discomfort For those who care to know what is happening inside the horse and how you can learn his/her language watch this video and listen. this ...
- Loud Direction to Horse- Nagging a Horse w/ Body Language- Rick Gore Horsemanship
- Clinton Anderson horse language demo, Equine Affaire
Clinton Anderson explains how to understand horse language, and DEsensitizing the horse using pressure and release of pressure. In DE-sensitizing, he stops ...
- Horse Language
One smart horse deserves another. A silent film for a silent language.
- Horse Body Language Seminar
Horse professional Marie Hoffman discusses her experience with horses and their behaviors. In this seminar hosted for the Forest Preserve District of DuPage ...
- How to read a horse's body language and win at the track!
Does a horse's body language and appearance matter when handicapping a horse race? Join Shane Thomas of...
- HORSE'S BODY LANGUAGE EARS
- New Guy Horse Lunging-Body language- Hooking Up- Rick Gore Horsemanship
- Horse's language - making funny noise
- Old MacDonald Had A Farm | Horse | Nursery Rhymes | Kids Songs | Phonics | ESL | Happy | 4K
- How to speak horse language
Here's Gibson's channel...
- Understanding pain in horse language!
- Sairam Dave | Horse Description | Maskat May 2013 | Gujarati Comedy Live
Watch Most Popular Gujarati Horse Description By Sairam Dave. Artist : Sairam Dave. . If You like the video don't forget to share with others & also share your ...
- Speak Your Horse's Language
The first step in the Horse2Human program is learning correct body language in the round pen to communicate with your horse clearly. Horse2Human founder ...
- Speak Your Horse's Language - Understanding Human + Horse Relationship
- Connection and Horse Language!
- Understanding Horse Body Language
Speaker: Dr. Katherine Houpt | Cornell University Summary: Perception and communication in horses will be discussed including auditory (neigh, nicker, roar, ...
- Horse Behavior: Body Language - Tail
The functions of the tail of the horse are communication and fly swatting. Part of the communication function is body language. Keep in mind that the natural ...
- Boring Horse Herd language & behavior- Putting Words to actions - Rick Gore Horsemanship
View more videos about The Horse, Dark Horse, Dead Horse, Gift Horse, High Horse, horse bean, Horse Race, Iron Horse, Hobby horse, Paint Horse, Horse Racing, Trojan horse, Charley Horse, Quarter Horse, Rocking horse, Horse mackerel, and Horse training.
See also the pronunciation examples of Horse!
Click on an item to play that video:
- HORSE: American Sign Language for HORSE
The American Sign Language sign for HORSE. Show this sign to your child when you see horses on a farm or at a petting zoo. Say and sign the word HORSE as ...
- Rueben Fast Horse sign language
Rueben Fast Horse, a Lakota from Standing Rock Indian Reservation and Native American tour guide at...
- HORSE in sign language (ASL)
- American Baby Sign Language - Horse
How to sign Horse? Bend your finger like a horse's ear The clip is taken from Baby Signing Time Vol -1, get the full video here ...
- A Lesson and Demonstration About Indian Sign Language with Reuben Fast Horse
Listen and observe this lesson delivered by Reuben Fast Horse. At Sitting Bull College on September 20, 2013. (Steve Piscitelli)
Quotes about Horse
Scrabble value of H4O1R1S1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HORSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Horse!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Horse to see it in context!