The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun hose:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hose
- Definition of the verb hose
- Phrases with Hose
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hose
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hose
- Photos about Hose
- Videos about Hose
- Quotes about Hose
- Scrabble value of H4O1S1E1
- Anagrams of HOSE
- Share this page
The word hose is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hose
What does hose mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: hoses (tube) / hose (stockings)
- socks and stockings and tights collectively (the British include underwear)
- region: Britain / Great Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of hose: hosiery
- more generic word: footwear = clothing worn on a person's feet
- more specific words:
- man's close-fitting garment of the 16th and 17th centuries covering the legs and reaching up to the waist; worn with a doublet
- a flexible pipe for conveying a liquid or gas
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of hose: hosepipe
- more generic words: tube / tubing = conduit consisting of a long hollow object (usually cylindrical) used to hold and conduct objects or liquids or gases
- more specific terms:
- air hose / airline = a hose that carries air under pressure
- fire hose = a large hose that carries water from a fire hydrant to the site of the fire
- garden hose = a hose used for watering a lawn or garden
- radiator hose = a flexible hose between the radiator and the engine block
- water cannon / watercannon = a hose (carried on a truck) that fires water under high pressure to disperse crowds
Alternative definition of the noun hose
- A flexible tube conveying water or other fluid, [p] 'hoses'.
- A stocking-like garment worn on the legs; pantyhose, women's tights, [p] 'hose' or 'hosen'.
Definition of the verb hose
What does hose mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: hosed | hosing | hoses
- water with a hose
- example: hose the lawn
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] Carla was vacuuming [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Source] [Adjective] Carla shoveled the walk clean [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Theme] into / onto [Destination] He plowed the snow back into the ditch [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Oblique] Carla mopped under the furniture
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of hose: hose down
- more generic words: irrigate / water = supply with water, as with channels or ditches or streams
Alternative definition of the verb hose
- [transitive] To water or spray with a hose.
- [transitive] To provide with hose [gloss, garment]
- [transitive] To attack and kill somebody, usually using a firearm.
- [transitive] To trick or deceive.
- [transitive, computing] To break a computer so everything needs to be reinstalled; to wipe all files.
Hose is a village in the English county of Leicestershire.
Hose is an "artcore" band from the 1980s founded by producer and Def Jam creator Rick Rubin. Hose's 12-inch EP was the first recording released with the Def Jam logo.
- genre: Rock music
- album: "Hose"
Hose a.k.a. Jose is a fictional character from the anime series Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D'S.
- read more about Jose
- Hose are any of various styles of men's clothing for the legs and lower body, worn from the Middle Ages through the 17th century, when the term fell out of use in favor of breeches and stockings. The old plural form of "hose" was hosen. The French equivalent was chausses.
- also known as hosen
- HOSE is a term used for playing a mixed game of poker consisting of four different poker games.
Phrases with Hose
Phrases starting with the word Hose:
- Hose barb
- hose down
- Hose clamp
- Hose Blenny
- Hose's Shrew
- Hose's Broadbill
- Hose's Partridge
- Hose's Palm Civet
- Hose's Pygmy Flying Squirrel
Phrases ending with the word Hose:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hose
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
27 years RV-ator (2007)
Update 4/93 The 601 hose is a low pressure rubber hose with a braided stainless steel outer shield. It is widely used in...
by John Norman
hose is the maximum length for preconnect if you want to flow 125 gpm,
by Matthew W. Robinson
Bottom middle blue hose, is a low pressure intlator for the buoyancy compensator . Bottom red wire, with white tape is the communication wire from umbilical. Vertical bottom black hose is a low pressure intlator for dry suit. Valve to the right, ...
The Engine Company (2009)
by John Salka
Hose is the most basic and necessary tool for fighting fires. Many other tools and pieces of equipment have been developed and accepted into the fire service to assist us in fighting fires and completing the other numerous fireground duties we ...
Organic Hobby Farming (2014)
A Practical Guide to Earth-Friendly Farming in Any Space by Andy Tomolonis
A hand-held hose is the next best way to water. But while that's fine for a small garden, hand watering is very time- consuming ...
Dead On (1998)
The Long-Range Marksman`s Guide To Extreme Accuracy by Tony M. Noblitt
The garden hose is an accurate analogy to bullet flight and is one of the best ways to visualize what actually occurs ...
a reference system of commercial horticulture, covering the practical and scientific phases of horticulture, with special reference to fruits and vegetables by William Worthington
Three-eighths-inch high- pressure hose costs almost as much as half-inch hose of similar quality, yet it does not have sufficient capacity to supply a cluster of large nozzles without greatly reducing the nozzle-pressure of the spray solution.
Armoured Hose.—Hose is armoured for two principal reasons, – to protect it from damage, and to prevent it from becoming distorted and injured by kinking, collapsing or twisting. The first-named occurrence is likely to happen to ordinary hose, ...
Historic and Modern by Mary Brooks Picken
Hose knit in circular or tubular shape without a seam, often having imitation seams and fashion marks; usually shaped by decreasing number of stitches toward ankle. Hose may become baggy at ankle in wear and laundering. cushion -sole ...
by Philip A. Schweitzer, P.E.
Minimum heat buildup: auto tites, transmission belts, V-belts, mountings High resilience: sponge rubber, mountings, elastic bands, thread, sandblast hose, jar rings, O-rings High rigidity: packing, soles and heels, valve cups, suction hose, ...
hose bib(hose cock)Anoutdoor water faucet protruding from a building at about sill height, ...
A Cyclopedic Reference to More Than 7,000 Words, Names, Phrases, and Slang Expressions that Define the Game, Its Heritage, Culture, and Variations by Paul Dickson
hose 1. A player's throwing arm. 2. Socks; e.g., the Chicago White Sox are nicknamed the "Pale Hose" and the Boston Red Sox are nicknamed the ...
by Doreen Yarwood
Hose A word of German origin signifying a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hose
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: CaptBrando
SCAMPers visit the Independence Township Fire Department. Clarkston SCAMP is a nonprofit, five-week summer day camp for children and young adults with special needs.
Photo credit: Clarkston SCAMP
Photo credit: tillwe
Photo credit: Venturist
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Sunny Border Nurseries...
Photo credit: Kristine Paulus
Photo credit: kevingessner
The firemen made the Adml touch their hoses.
Photo credit: AdmlCrunch
Photo credit: eflon
Photo credit: Kevin Doncaster
- Water hose
Photo credit: Chris Alban Hansen
- Hose Pretzel
Photo credit: cogdogblog
- Inside the black hose
Photo credit: Valerie Everett
- Antarctica: Hose Banding Removed
Photo credit: eliduke
- Hose in a Strobe
Photo credit: Ben Chun
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Hose
Click on an item to play that video:
- Hose Meaning
Video shows what hose means. A flexible tube conveying water or other fluid.. A stocking-like garment worn on the legs; pantyhose, women's tights.. Close-fitting ...
- FLEXABLE HOSE Slang yang bisa mengembang 3x dari ukuran biasa
Order By Phone: 021 3048 5450 Shopping Online...
- Coriolis tube motion explanation using a shower hose
- Hose down Meaning
Video shows what hose down means. To spray thoroughly with a hose.. To put out or reduce a fire by squirting water on the fire with a hose.. To calm down a ...
- Hose Height- Language Commercial
- Re-verb Hose Routing with a curl
See also the pronunciation examples of Hose!
Quotes about Hose
Dogs bark at hose they don't know.
more quotes about hose...
Scrabble value of H4O1S1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HOSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Hose!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hose to see it in context!