The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the adjective hot:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective hot:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective hot and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective hot
- Other definitions of hot
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hot
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hot
- Photos about Hot
- Videos about Hot
- Sign language
- Quotes about Hot
- Scrabble value of H4O1T1
- Anagrams of HOT
- Share this page
The word hot is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective hot
What does hot mean as an attribute of a noun?
Hot is one of the top 50 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: hotter | hottest
- used of physical heat; having a high or higher than desirable temperature or giving off heat or feeling or causing a sensation of heat or burning
- examples: hot stove | hot water | a hot August day | a hot stuffy room | she's hot and tired | a hot forehead
- antonym: cold
- similar: baking / baking hot; blistering / blistery; calefacient / warming; calefactive / calefactory; calorifacient; calorific; fervent / fervid; fiery / igneous; heatable; heated / heated up / het / het up; hottish; overheated; red-hot; scorching; sizzling; stifling / sulfurous / sulphurous / sultry; sweltering / sweltry; thermal; torrid; tropic / tropical; white / white-hot
- attribute: temperature = the degree of hotness or coldness of a body or environment
- see also: warm
- characterized by violent and forceful activity or movement; very intense
- extended meanings; especially of psychological heat; marked by intensity or vehemence especially of passion or enthusiasm
- (color) bold and intense
- example: hot pink
- similar: warm
- sexually excited or exciting
- examples: was hot for her | hot pants
- similar: sexy
- recently stolen or smuggled
- very fast; capable of quick response and great speed
- wanted by the police
- example: a hot suspect
- similar: wanted
- producing a burning sensation on the taste nerves
- performed or performing with unusually great skill and daring and energy
- very popular or successful
- very unpleasant or even dangerous
- examples: make it hot for him | in the hot seat | in hot water
- similar: unpleasant
- newest or most recent
- having or bringing unusually good luck
- examples: hot at craps | the dice are hot tonight
- similar: lucky
- very good; often used in the negative
- example: he's hot at math but not so hot at history
- similar: good
- newly made
- example: a hot scent
- similar: fresh
- having or showing great eagerness or enthusiasm
- example: hot for travel
- similar: eager
- of a seeker; very near to the object sought
- having or dealing with dangerously high levels of radioactivity
- examples: hot fuel rods | a hot laboratory
- similar: radioactive
- charged or energized with electricity
- marked by excited activity
Alternative definition of the adjective hot
- Of an object, having a high temperature.
- Of the weather, causing the air to be hot.
- Of a person or animal, feeling the sensation of heat, especially to the point of discomfort.
- See Feverish.
- Of food, spicy.
- [informal] Very good, remarkable, exciting. [definition from the 19th c.]
- Stolen. [definition from the 20th c.]
- synonym: live
- [context: incomparable] Electrically charged
- synonym: radioactive
- [informal] Radioactive. [definition from the 20th c.]
- [slang] Of a person, very physically or sexually attractive.
- [slang] Sexual; involving sexual intercourse or sexual excitement.
- Popular; in demand.
- Very close to finding or guessing something to be found or guessed.
- Performing strongly; having repeated successes
- Fresh; just released
- Uncomfortable, difficult to deal with; awkward, dangerous, unpleasant.
Other definitions of hot
What does hot also mean?
- Hybrid orientation technique
- High-output turbo
Hot is a tv station owner, tv network.
- also known as HOT Telecommunication Systems Ltd.
- official website: www.hot.net.il
- hot a.k.a. H.O.T. was a popular five-member South Korean boy band in the mid to late 1990s. They were formed by SM Entertainment in 1996 and disbanded in 2001. In addition to South Korea, the band was popular in Taiwan, People's Republic of China and Korean and Asian communities in Americas. H.O.T.
- read more about H.O.T.
- Hot a.k.a. Scott Moore is a rugby league footballer who plays for London Broncos in the Super League. He previously played in the English Super League for clubs like the Castleford Tigers and the Huddersfield Giants. Moore was the youngest ever Super League player when he made his debut at the JJB Stadium aged only 16.
- read more about Scott Moore
Hot was a vocal trio from Los Angeles, California, United States, formed in 1976. Its original members were Gwen Owens, Cathy Carson and Juanita Curiel. In 1987, Hot was reborn with former members Owens and Carson and new member Sandra Starks.
- album: "Angel in Your Arms / Just 'Cause I'm Guilty"
- "Hot" is a song by Canadian singer-songwriter Avril Lavigne, taken as the third single from her third studio album, The Best Damn Thing. The song was written by Lavigne and Evan Taubenfeld, while it was produced by Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald. The pop rock ballad talks about her feelings about a boyfriend, who makes her "hot". The song received positive reviews from music critics, who praised its "old-style" vibe and its anthemic nature. A version of the chorus in Mandarin was released in China and Japan.
- "Hot" is the debut studio album of Romanian recording artist Inna. It was released in Poland on August 4, 2009 and in Russia on September 22, 2009 by her Romanian label Roton Records. The album entered the Polish Albums Chart in August 2009 and the Czech Albums Charts in February 2010, debuting and peaking at number twenty-eight and number seven respectively. The standard edition content eleven tracks while the Romanian edition contains fourteen tracks, one of them being the new recorded song "10 Minutes". The track also was part of the album re-release in certain countries in spring 2010. After the massive debut track "Hot" and the follow up singles "Love", "Amazing" and the Bob Taylor song "Déjà Vu", in which Inna appears as a featured artist, "10 Minutes" was released as the fifth single taken from the album. In France and the United Kingdom the track "Sun Is Up" was released as a sixth single from "Hot" while in other countries it was the lead single from Inna's second album "I Am The Club Rocker!".
- "Hot" is a song by Romanian recording artist Inna from her debut studio album, of the same name. It was released on November 12, 2008 by Roton Records as the lead single from the album. Produced and written by Sebastian Barac, Radu Bolfea and Marcel Botezan of Play & Win, "Hot" is an uptempo electro house song with elements of trance music. Lyrically, the song tells a story of how strong a connection can be between two lovers.
- "Hot" is the debut album by British pop singer Melanie B, who is a member of the Spice Girls.
- "Hot" is the first extended play and first solo album by Korean singer Taeyang, member of Big Bang. The album was well received by fans and critics alike, winning two trophies from The 6th Korean Music Awards for the 2008 Best R&B/Soul Song and the 2008 Best R&B/Soul Album. Taeyang is the first "Idol group" or boyband member to receive such awards.
- "Hot" is a 2007 single album by Avril Lavigne.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Hot" is the second studio album by Squirrel Nut Zippers, released in 1996.
- "Hot" is the first single from Milk Me, a 2004 album by East Coast hip hop group The Beatnuts. It was released by Penalty Recordings as a 12 inch and CD single without any b-sides or additional tracks. The song is produced by The Beatnuts and features raps by Juju and Psycho Les, as well as ad libs sung by Greg Nice. The song's lyrics are braggadocios, hard-hitting and aggressive. The song's beat is characterized by a fast pounding horn loop and matching drums sampled from "Rock Box" by Run-D.M.C.. The song also features live instrumentation provided by guitarist Eric Krasno and keyboardist Neal Evans.
- "Hot" is an album released by the rock group Half Japanese.
- "Hot" is a live album by Canadian jazz pianist Paul Bley recorded in 1985 and released on the Italian Soul Note label.
- genre: Jazz
- released in (31 years ago)
- "Hot" was Freda Payne's ninth studio album and her third and final for Capitol Records. Although she did record a few singles during the 1980s, it would be 16 years before Payne came out with another studio album.
- "Hot" is a musical album of James Brown.
- released in (40 years ago)
- "Hot" is a 2008 single by Inna.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Hot" a.k.a. "HOT!" is a musical album of KEYTALK.
- released on
- "Hot" is a musical single of Willi Ninja.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Hot" is a musical album of Dax Riders.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Hot" is a musical single of Bunga Citra Lestari & Intan Ayu.
- released on
- "Hot" is a musical single of M.O..
- released on
- "Hot" is a musical single of Reckless Love.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Hot" is a musical EP of Caspian Pool.
- released on
Hot a.k.a. Memorial Field Airport is three miles southwest of the City of Hot Springs, in Garland County, Arkansas. It serves nearby Hot Springs National Park. The airport is used for general aviation; airline flights are subsidized by the federal government's Essential Air Service program at a cost of $1,637,012. Fifteen retired Atlantic Southeast Airlines Embraer 120 "Brasilia" twin turboprop aircraft are stored here.
- The HOT is a second-generation long-range anti-tank missile system developed originally as an effort to meet a joint German-French Army requirement, by the then German firm Bölkow and the French firm Nord, to replace the older SS.11 wire guided missile which was in service with both nations. A few years later, Bölkow and Nord merged into MBB and Aérospatiale respectively, both of which firms later formed Euromissile to design and produce the MILAN, Roland and HOT.
- also known as Euromissile HOT
- Hot a.k.a. Hote Language: Hote, also known as Malê, is an Oceanic language in Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea.
- also known as Ho'tei, Malei, Hotec
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hot
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Avram Bar-Cohen
Due to the use of an oversized germanium cooler, the self-cooling not only cools the hot spot but also cools the surrounding germanium. Figure 12(C) illustrates that the current density and thus joule heating is highly non-uniform in the chip.
Subjective health care viewed with an objective eye by Joseph Segen
time in excessively hot water may result in fatigue, mental lethargy, and poor circulation. See Hot sitz bath, Hydrotherapy. Cf Cold bath ...
by Loran O'Bannon
hot end. The finishing end of a glass manufacturing operation, including the forming of the molten glass and the ...
by Alireza Bahadori, Scott T. Smith
Hot Corrosion An accelerated corrosion of metal surfaces that results from the combined effect of oxidation and reactions with sulfur compounds and other contaminants, such us chlorides, to form a molten salt on a metal surface that fluxes, ...
(including Alaska) by Mary Grace Wilmarth
Hot Springs formation.
by Joseph Segen
phenomenon hot adjective Inflammed hot flashes Hot flush Gynecology A symptom afflicting 8085% of middleaged women, first occurring during the perimenopause, continuing with decreased intensity for years, manifesting itself as transient ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
~39 HEARTINESS See: EMOTIONS ~39 HEAT See Also: WEATHER The days were like hot coals —Henry Wadsworth Longfellow A glaring, summery heat covered everything like a layer of glass —Jean Thompson The heat came down on ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hot
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hot
Click on an item to view that photo:
Taken at Chengleput during the CWC outing on August 07
Photo credit: seeveeaar
Leica M8 / CV Color-Heliar 75mm F2.5
Photo credit: #DKBT# Photography
Photo credit: fdecomite
This thermometer sits outside under the sun. It's hot!
Photo credit: saturnism
- Hot & Fat Pepper .... DSCF3498a
Gordinha e perfumada
Especial pra olho gordo
Photo credit: SantaRosa OLD SKOOL
- Hot tea
Photo credit: Marco Arment
- Hot Springs Cove Kayaking trip photos
The boardwalk to the hot springs
Photo credit: footloosiety
- Hot wheels
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Hot Links!
Photo credit: Mike Saechang
- Hot Spring
Photo credit: Marufish
- Hot chocolate
Photo credit: cowbite
- Hot chocolate
Photo credit: stu_spivack
- Hot Chocolate
Photo credit: Magnus D
- Hot chocolate
Photo credit: sk8geek
- Hot spring
Photo credit: r h
- HOT WOMAN
Photo credit: Mr.NoX
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Hot
Click on an item to play that video:
- 5 Seconds of Summer - Meaning behind She's Kinda Hot
- Hot Karakattam 2015 | Double Meaning dance
Tamil Nadu Village Festival Night Dance program.
- Gavin DeGraw - Meaning (iheartradio Live) - HOT 99.5
- Meaning behind she's kinda hot//5sos
- Hot liquor tank explanation
Showing the HERMS coil and the transfer method.
- Hot Definition: Melissa Bender Fitness Workout
- The Meaning Behind She's Kinda Hot
This video is the meaning behind she's kinda hot from 5 Seconds Of Summer.
- Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 3 : Hot & Cold
Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 3 : Hot & Cold Play alongside Larry as you get to know the words and meaning of hot and ...
- HOT DEFINITION
- Hot Under the Collar - Vocabulary Builder 2- ESL British English Pronunciation
- Serious Hot Definition 2013 APHA Palomino Filly
Serious Hot Definition 2013 APHA Palomino filly sired by Serious Anticipation out of Exclusively Hottest. Was just named NEPHC Sweeps Futurity Champion.
- Making Of Jija Saali Ki Non Veg Masti || Hot Video || Double Meaning Behind The Scene
Making Of Jija Saali Ki Non Veg Masti || Hot Video || Double Meaning Behind The Scene In This Video, Jija apni Saali se maze leta hai ........ saali ke pet ke dard ...
- Ali Double Meaning Dialogues With Hot Beauty
Telugu Comedy Scene From Rajasthan Movie Non Stop Comedy -...
- Hot off the Press | British English Idiom | Learn English
British English idiom - hot off the press. British English at...
- TM Masters Knock Out Races: Cup Explanation & onboard view by HOT///Dino
TM Masters is planning to host several Knock Out cups similar to the recent True Talent Cups. In this video HOT///Dino of the TM Masters Admin team is ...
- Hot English Lesson: Museum vocabulary
Watch this tour guide telling you some useful things about a museum. This video clip is linked into Hot English Magazine -- the number-one magazine for ...
- Street Guys Double Meaning Comedy With Hot Namita
Telugu Comedy Scene From Hai Subramanyam Movie Cast: SriRam, Aarti Agarwal, Namita, Vikram Aditya, Vadivelu, Madan Puff, Kiran Manohar Music: ...
- Explanation Found For Hot Gases in Galaxy Clusters | Video
- Hot Brain Problematic Men Got7 Jackson Four language self introduction
Hot Brain Problematic Men Got7 Jackson Four language self introduction English, Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, French 150423.
- Review and description on hot tools 1 1/2 inch gold 24k curling iron!
review and description on hot tools 1 1/2 inch gold 24k curling iron. Visit us online...
- [Hot Beat] Kevin - Body Language
The song that Kevin sang for you "Hot Beat" [ Body Language ] Visit to Arirang Radio's Home Page to meet more K-Pop Stars!
- [ESL Tutorials] - 8 hot tech trends coming to your office in 2015
From virtual assistants to virtual reality, the future is set to invade your workplace. As the year comes to a close, it's time to speculate what new technologies 2015 ...
- Hot English Lesson - Body Language
Hot English Lesson - Body Language...
See also the pronunciation examples of Hot!
Click on an item to play that video:
- HOT in sign language (ASL)
- HOT DOG | ASL - American Sign Language
Signs for HOT DOG in ASL.
- Sign Language-She's Kinda Hot by 5 Seconds of Summer
American Sign Language to the song She's Kinda Hot by 5 Seconds of Summer.
- HOT | ASL - American Sign Language
HOT in ASL.
- Baby Sign Language: Hot
How to sign "hot" in ASL.
Quotes about Hot
earth is hot
trees are burn
with out fire
even earth hot
what can i do
my dear earth..? (Otteri Selvakumar)
more quotes about hot...
Scrabble value of H4O1T1
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HOT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Hot!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hot to see it in context!