The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun hump:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb hump:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hump
- Definition of the verb hump
- Phrases with Hump
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hump
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hump
- Photos about Hump
- Video language resources about Hump
- Quotes about Hump
- Scrabble value of H4U1M3P3
- Anagrams of HUMP
- Share this page
The word hump is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hump
What does hump mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: humps
- something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
- example: the hump of a camel
- lexical domain: Shapes - nouns denoting two and three dimensional shapes
- synonyms of hump: bulge / bump / excrescence / extrusion / gibbosity / gibbousness / jut / prominence / protrusion / protuberance / swelling
- more generic word: projection = any solid convex shape that juts out from something
- more specific terms:
- frontal eminence = either prominence of the frontal bone above each orbit
- occipital protuberance = prominence on the outer surface of the occipital bone
- belly = a part that bulges deeply
- caput = a headlike protuberance on an organ or structure
- mogul = a bump on a ski slope
- nubble / nub = a small lump or protuberance
- snag = a sharp protuberance
- wart = any small rounded protuberance
Alternative definition of the noun hump
- A mound of earth.
- A rounded mass, especially a fleshy mass such as on a camel.
- A deformity in humans caused by abnormal curvature of the upper spine.
- [British, slang] An act of sexual intercourse.
- [slang] (British) A bad mood, especially in the expression to have the hump.
- [slang] A painfully boorish person.
Definition of the verb hump
What does hump mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: humped | humping | humps
- round one's back by bending forward and drawing the shoulders forward
- have sexual intercourse with
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of hump: bang / be intimate / bed / bonk / do it / eff / fuck / get it on / get laid / have a go at it / have intercourse / have it away / have it off / have sex / jazz / know / lie with / love / make love / make out / roll in the hay / screw / sleep together / sleep with
- more generic words: copulate / couple / mate / pair = engage in sexual intercourse
- more specific words:
Who is Hump?
Hump a.k.a. Lloyd L. Humphrey is an actor.
- read more about Lloyd L. Humphrey (actor)
- Hump is a fictional character, a mutant in the Marvel Comics Universe. His first appearance was in New Mutants #91.
- Hump is a fictional character from the 1999 film Straight Out of Compton.
"Hump" is a composition.
HUMP a.k.a. The HUMP! annual film festival in Seattle, Washington, and Portland, Oregon, initiated in 2005, showcases home-movie erotica, amateur sex cinema, and locally produced pornography. Films are rated by the audience, and awards are given. The films are then destroyed before the live audience at the final showing of the festival, by the master of ceremonies, Dan Savage.
- read more about HUMP!
Phrases with Hump
Phrases starting with the word Hump:
Phrases ending with the word Hump:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hump
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Animal Behavior (2011)
by Michael D. Breed, Janice Moore
The story concludes with a moral about the effects of laziness on humans: The Camel's hump is an ugly lump Which well you may see at the Zoo; But uglier yet is the hump we get From having too little to do. Of course, we know that the camel's ...
Hiking the Green Mountains (2009)
A Guide to 35 of the Region's Best Hiking Adventures by Lisa Densmore Ballard
The Hike Camel's Hump is a Vermont landmark. Its bald summit comes to an offset point, which is visible for miles on a clear day. The mountain has had many names over the centuries.
by Rod Preece, Lorna Chamberlain
Chapter Eleven Animals in Entertainment: Zoos, Aquaria and Circuses The Camel's hump is an ugly lump Which well you may see at the zoo; But uglier yet is the Hump we get From having too little to do. —- Rudyard Kipling, "How the Camel ...
by Fredric Sweney
The hump is a reserve storage area for fat that is used for energy when needed. When drawing this animal, pay attention to the angle of the eye; it does not match the slope of the mouth. The camel has a deep chest, long legs, and very small ...
WIG Craft and Ekranoplan (2009)
Ground Effect Craft Technology by Liang Yun, Alan Bliault, Johnny Doo
Clearly, the first hump is the wave-making ...
NCLEX-PN Exam Cram (2017)
by Wilda Rinehart, Diann Sloan, Clara Hurd
dowager's hump Dowager's hump is an abnormal cervical convexity of the anterior lumber spine accompanied by dorsal kyphosis. Dowager's hump is due to loss of bone and is ...
by Joshua Broder
Hampton's hump is a classic but insensitive and nonspecific finding of PE. It is described as a wedge-shaped peripheral density on chest x-ray, indicating pulmonary infarction. Its appearance is not distinguishable from an infiltrate from ...
Read Reflect Respond 1 (2015)
by Joanne Suter, Janice Greene
The camel's hump is a depot. floppy hump is probably A depot is a kind of ( hungry / young ). a. storehouse. b. tumor. c. sore spot. 10. Camels can go for weeks without 3. A camel's hump helps it survive. (food / sleep ). To survive is to 11.
by Joel Turner
Hampton hump is a wedge-shaped, pleural-based, apex ...
Pain in Older People (2007)
by Peter Crome, Chris J. Main, Frank Lally
The Dowager's hump is the classical deformity of osteoporosis. Kyphosis can occur following a single vertebral fracture, if the anterior aspect has collapsed entirely leaving a wedge-shaped vertebra, and becomes more marked with multiple ...
Queering the Way (2011)
The Loud & Queer Anthology by Darrin Hagen
The hump is an awful place to be. You're too far from the window, there's nowhere to put your arms. No one talks to you except to say mean things.
Selected Poems (2006)
by Rudyard Kipling
'The Camel's hump is an ugly lump'; (p. 99). Follows.
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
hump it inpoker, to raise the maximum bet allowed US,1988. )hump like a camel to engage insexual intercourse with great physical enthusiasm US,1970. ) hump thedog to waste time completely.
by Oxford University Press
hump /h/mp/ n. 1 rounded protuberance on a camel's back, or as an abnormality on a person's back. 2 rounded raised mass of earth, etc. v. inf. lift or carry (heavy objects, etc.) ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
Orchidaceae Origins: Lip with gibbosity, from the Greek hybos "hump-backed, bent outwards, a hump" and cheilos "lip." Hybosema Harms Fabaceae Origins: From the Greek hybos "hump- backed ...
by Tony Thorne
hump 1 vb 1. to have sex (with). 'Once a fashionable word for copulation,' according to the Dictionary of theVulgar Tongue by Grose, 1785, hump is now scarcely fashionable but is still a widespread vulgarism, often ...
Encyclopedia of Deserts (2017)
by Michael A. Mares
CAMEL'S HUMP ple), camels can tolerate double that amount of water loss—to more than 25 percent of body weight—without ill effects. This tolerance is no doubt possible because camels reduce water loss from the blood volume at the ...
by D.C. Wareham
SACRAL HUMP See HUMP. SACRAL PROMINENCE The HUMP on the lower back in anurans. SACRAL REGION Pertaining to the area of the lower back where certain vertebrae articulate with the pelvic girdle SACRAL VERTEBRA Any one ...
by Marcus Baker
Hump; island, in Cholmondeley sound, ...
by William D. Middleton, RICK MORGAN, Roberta L. Diehl
Hump Figure 1. A typical modern hump classification yard is shown in this drawing of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac's Southern Pacific's radar-controlled hump classification yard, Englewood ...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
(Latin, tuberculum = a small hump. PL, Tuberculi ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hump
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hump
Click on an item to view that photo:
Not a bump.
Photo credit: don.wing45
Photo credit: PleaseRomaineCalm
Photo credit: adamgbrady
Photo credit: erix!
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Hump Ahead
Photo credit: blue_quartz
- Hump Back Whale's Tale
Photo credit: Hans Dekker
- Margam Hump Yard
Margam Hump Yard, taken from the tower signal box, 11/69. The MPD is in the centre background and the Brirish Steel Corporation's Abbey Works, Port Talbot in the background. Scanned photograph taken with a Kowa SET camera.
Photo credit: hugh llewelyn
- Hump Remains
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Spiky Hump
Photo credit: mookitty
- Philip George- Bar Hump
Photo credit: Jake Sampson-Field
View more pictures about Hump Day.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Hump
Click on an item to play that video:
- Hump Meaning
Video shows what hump means. A mound of earth.. A rounded mass, especially a fleshy mass such as on a camel.. A speed hump.. hump synonyms: gibbous, ...
- Dowager's hump Meaning
Video shows what dowager's hump means. The hump-like projection seen on the back of older people caused by kyphosis of the spine, consequent to ...
- Sick Jargon - Go Hump [Daniel Carro Remix / HiJack Reloop]
HiJack works his magic on a remix by Daniel Carro (Who used to work as a duo with Jon Chant as HiJack).
- Hump Meaning
Video shows what Hump means. The Himalayas, as the challenge for the supply route between India and China.. Hump Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- What Is The Definition Of Hump, dowager - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
- What Is The Definition Of Hump, dowager - Medical Dictionary Free Online Terms
See also the pronunciation examples of Hump!
Quotes about Hump
A camel never sees its own hump.
more quotes about hump...
Scrabble value of H4U1M3P3
The value of this 4-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HUMP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Hump!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hump to see it in context!