On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun icehouse
What does icehouse mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: icehouses
- a house for storing ice
Alternative definition of the noun icehouse
- A deep cellar or outdoor building used for the storage of ice; sometimes also used to store food at low temperature
Icehouse are an Australian rock band, formed as Flowers in 1977 in Sydney. Initially known in Australia for their pub rock style, they later achieved mainstream success playing new wave and synthpop music and attained Top 10 singles chart success in both Europe and the U.S. The mainstay of both Flowers and Icehouse has been Iva Davies supplying additional musicians as required. The name Icehouse, which was adopted in 1981, comes from an old, cold flat Davies lived in and the strange building across the road populated by itinerant people.
- also known as Flowers (Icehouse), Iva Davies & Icehouse, Ice House
- Iva Davies (Lead guitar) since
- Guy Pratt (Bass guitar) between and (4 years)
- Steve Morgan (Bass guitar) between and (18 years)
- Steve Morgan (Bass guitar) since
- Paul Wheeler (Drums) between and (18 years)
- Paul Wheeler (Drums) since
- Roger Mason (Keyboard) between and
- Glenn Reither (Keyboard) since
- Michael Paynter (Keyboard) since
- Andy Qunta
- genres: New Wave, Rock music, Post-punk, Synthpop, Pop music
- albums: "Measure for Measure", "Icehouse", "Man of Colours", "No Promises", "Electric Blue Maxi", "Masterfile", "The Singles: A Sides and Selected B Sides", "Bi-polar Poems", "Fresco EP", "Code Blue", "Meltdown", "Love in Motion", "Full Circle", "The Singles", "The Berlin Tapes", "Spin One", "Sidewalk", "Big Wheel", "Great Southern Land", "Primitive Man", "Boxes", "White Heat: 30 Hits", "White Heat", "Electric Blue", "Live at the Ritz", "The Best Of", "Heroes"
- nomination: - nominated to Logie Award for Most Popular Music Video - "Electric Blue"
- official website: www.icehouse-ivadavies.com
- "Icehouse": Icehouse was the debut album released by Australian rock/synthpop band Flowers, later known as Icehouse, on the independent label Regular Records in October 1980. The title and the artist are sometimes incorrectly swapped, because the band changed their name from Flowers into Icehouse after this album was released. Containing the Top 20 Australian hits "Can't Help Myself", "We Can Get Together" and "Walls"; the album made heavy use of synthesisers, which would continue to be used throughout the band's career. Founder Iva Davies wrote all the tracks including four co-written with keyboardist Michael Hoste, however Hoste was replaced during recording sessions by Anthony Smith. In October 2010, Icehouse by Flowers was listed in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums.
- "Icehouse" is a song by the Australian rock band Flowers. It was released as a single in Europe in 1982 by Chrysalis Records from the band's first album, Icehouse, after the band changed its name to Icehouse. In the United States, the song peaked at number 28 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart in 1981.
- music by Iva Davies
Icehouse is a turnless abstract strategy game invented by Andrew Looney and John Cooper. It was the first of many games played with Icehouse pieces.
The ICEHOUSE is a business growth centre that creates learning environments for entrepreneurial firms to enable them to significantly grow their companies. This charitable trust encompasses a business incubator for startup companies, a training company for owner managed companies and is home to New Zealand’s largest grouping of angel investors. The current CEO of The ICEHOUSE is Andy Hamilton.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Icehouse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Scientific American (1907)
A large icehouse is a white elephant on the hands of an owner of a private country home. for it cannot be economically filled, and if not properly filled the waste of ice is very great. Moreover. many people are deterred from having an icehouse ...
Farming in Carroll County (2009)
by Lyndi McNulty
The icehouse is the building on ...
Lonely Planet Canada (2017)
by Lonely Planet
Icehouse NOTABLE BUILDING Located near the replica sod houses, the Icehouse is the community freezer. The entrance looks like an outhouse, but inside you descend into a tunnel system ...
G, H, I Versability (2015)
by Roger Maderia
An icehouse is a storage place for ice. An icemaker keeps a good supply on hand. An icebreaker moves through the ice at sea. An igloo is an ice home on the land. Insulation is material to keep out cold and reduce the loss and passage of ...
by Chitram Lutchman, Douglas Evans, Waddah Shihab Ghanem Al Hashemi, Rohanie Maharaj
Icehouse An icehouse is a demanding cooling problem. It uses physics, familiarity with natural phenomena, knowledge of construction and exceptional aesthetic properties. It retains food, milk, meat or water (in the form of ice), to use for an ...
Anna Letitia Barbauld (2008)
Voice of the Enlightenment by William McCarthy
” Smith's icehouse is a diminutive version of the ...
by Scott Elias, Cary Mock
to times of extreme cold with massive continental ice sheets andpolar icecaps (icehouse times). Lasting for many tens of ...
by John E. Oliver
and others, postulating three supercycles, with “ icehouse” to “greenhouse” alterations. These correspond approximately to a postulated ...
by John F. Mariani
ICEHOUSE. While the term “icehouse” ...
by Timothy Darvill
Icehouse Bottom, Tennessee, USA [Si] Archaic Stage settlement dating to about c .7500 BC on a river terrace in the Little Tennessee Valley. It was excavated by Jefferson Chapman in the early 1970s and interpreted as the base camp for ...
by James Stevens Curl, Susan Wilson
icehouse. 1. Building for the storage of ice collected during the winter for use ...
by George William Johnson
“ The partition between the icehouse and milk- house ...
Three Volume Set by John A Matthews
ICEHOUSE CONDITION Analysis of ice-scarred trees using DENDROCHRONOLOGY enables the reconstruction of ice-flood history and, in certain regions of Arctic Canada, has demonstrated an increase in magnitude and frequency of ice ...
A-E by S. George Philander
frOm HOtHOuSe tO ICeHOuSe Abrupt cooling at the Eocene/Oligocene transition (35 million years ago) marked the appearance of the first continent-spanning ice sheet on Antarctica, potentially the first Cenozoic Northern Hemisphere ice ...
An Encyclopedia by Linda S. Cordell, Kent Lightfoot, Francis McManamon, George Milner
ICEHOUSE. BOTTOM. SITE. Lower Little Tennessee River Valley, Eastern Tennessee A Deeply Stratified Archaic Period Site with a Series of Ancient Deposits WATSON BRAKE Northeast Louisiana. THE EVA SITE, CAMDEN, TENNESSEE ...
A Daily Life Encyclopedia by Merril D. Smith Ph.D.
Surprisingly few battles were fought First Icehouse Most likely built in 1781, the icehouse of financier Robert Morris of Philadelphia may have been the first one constructed in North America. Although people have stored food underground ...
by Cameron B. Wesson
ICEHOUSE BOTTOM SITE. Archaeological site located along the Little Tennessee River in western Tennessee. Research by Jefferson Chapman at the site indicates the presence of noncontinuous occupations ranging in age from 9000 to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Icehouse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Icehouse
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Icehouse
Click on an item to play that video:
- Icehouse Meaning
Video shows what icehouse means. A deep cellar or outdoor building used for the storage of ice; sometimes also used to store food at low temperature.. An ice ...
- Icehouse Meaning
Video shows what Icehouse means. a game of strategy played with pyramidal pieces. Icehouse Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- The Icehouse Tavern: Dictionary Queen and Tremble Like a Leaf
See also the pronunciation examples of Icehouse!
Scrabble value of I1C3E1H4O1U1S1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Icehouse to see it in context!