Irish appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Irish wristwatch
- I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch.
- Rhys watched Ross switch his Irish wristwatch for a Swiss wristwatch.
Irish appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Paget saw an Irish tooth, Sir, in a waste gap.
- "Tosh, sir, in a dell, a crew’s nastier on gin; ignore its answer!" called an Irish sot.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun irish
- Definition of the adjective irish
- Phrases with Irish
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Irish
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Irish
- Photos about Irish
- Videos about Irish
- Sign language
- Quotes about Irish
- Scrabble value of I1R1I1S1H4
- Anagrams of IRISH
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun irish
What does irish mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- people of Ireland or of Irish extraction
- whiskey made in Ireland chiefly from barley
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of Irish: Irish whiskey / Irish whisky
- more generic words: whiskey / whisky = a liquor made from fermented mash of grain
- more specific word: poteen = unlawfully distilled Irish whiskey
- substance of: Irish coffee = sweetened coffee with Irish whiskey and whipped cream
- the Celtic language of Ireland
- region: Emerald Isle / Hibernia / Ireland
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of Irish: Irish Gaelic
- more generic words: Erse / Gaelic / Goidelic = any of several related languages of the Celts in Ireland and Scotland
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun irish
- [rfd-sense] [context: as plural] The Irish people.
- [obsolete] A board game of the tables family.
- [US] Temper; anger, passion.
- whiskey, or whisky, elaborated in Ireland.
Definition of the adjective irish
What does irish mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more Irish / Irisher |
- of or relating to or characteristic of Ireland or its people
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
Alternative definition of the adjective irish
- Pertaining to or originating from Ireland or the Irish people.
- Pertaining to the Irish language.
- (Derogatory) Nonsensical, daft or complex.
- Irish a.k.a. Ireland is an island in the North Atlantic to the west of Great Britain, from which it is separated by the North Channel, the Irish Sea, and St Georges Channel, and after which it is the largest island of the British Isles archipelago. It is the third-largest island in Europe and the twentieth-largest island on Earth.
- Irish a.k.a. Republic of Ireland: Ireland, also known as the Republic of Ireland, is a sovereign state in western Europe occupying about five-sixths of the island of Ireland. The capital and largest city is Dublin, located in the eastern part of the island, whose metropolitan area is home to around a quarter of the country's 4.6 million inhabitants. The state shares its only land border with Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom. It is otherwise surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the Celtic Sea to the south, Saint George's Channel to the south east, and the Irish Sea to the east. It is a unitary, parliamentary republic with an elected president serving as head of state. The head of government, the Taoiseach, is nominated by the lower house of parliament, Dáil Éireann.
- Irish a.k.a. The Kingdom of Ireland was a state on the island of Ireland from the proclamation of Henry VIII as King of Ireland by the Crown of Ireland Act 1542 until the Acts of Union 1800. It replaced the Lordship of Ireland, which had been created in 1171. King Henry VIII was recognised as monarch of Ireland by some Protestant powers in Europe, although not by its Catholic monarchies. However, his daughter Mary I was recognised as Queen of Ireland by the pope in 1555. The separate Kingdom of Ireland ceased to exist at the end of 1800, as Ireland was joined with Great Britain to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on the first day of 1801.
- also known as 愛爾蘭王國
- founded in (474 years ago)
- part of Ireland
There are other places with in their name, like Irish Hill, Northern Irish, The Irish Rover, Irish Free State, Irish Grove Precinct, Scotch Irish Township, Irish Repertory Theatre, Irish Agricultural Museum, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Irish National Heritage Park, British and Irish Modern Music Institute.
- Irish a.k.a. Pierce Brosnan: Pierce Brendan Brosnan, OBE is an Irish-American actor, film producer and environmentalist. After leaving comprehensive school at 16, Brosnan began training in commercial illustration. He then went on to train at the Drama Centre in London for three years. Following a stage acting career he rose to popularity in the television series Remington Steele.
- read more about Pierce Brosnan
- Irish a.k.a. Micky Ward: George Michael "Micky" Ward, Jr., sometimes nicknamed "Irish Micky Ward", is a retired American junior welterweight professional boxer and a former WBU champion from Lowell, Massachusetts. He is widely known for his three fights with Arturo Gatti, as well as from the 2010 feature film based on his career titled The Fighter, in which he is portrayed by Mark Wahlberg. Micky is the younger half-brother of Dicky Eklund and son of Alice Eklund-Ward.
- read more about Micky Ward
- Irish a.k.a. Andy Lee is an Irish professional boxer from Limerick. He fights in the Middleweight division.
- read more about Andy Lee
- Irish a.k.a. Jerry Quarry, nicknamed "Irish" or “The Bellflower Bomber,” was an American heavyweight boxer. Quarry was rated by Ring Magazine as the most popular fighter in the sport, from 1968–1971, during the peak of his career.
- read more about Jerry Quarry
- Irish a.k.a. Victoria Mahoney is director for the movie "yelling to the sky".
- read more about Victoria Mahoney
- Irish a.k.a. Jimmy Archer is an ex-boxer and an actor.
- read more about Jimmy Archer
- Irish a.k.a. William James Kelly is an actor.
- read more about William James Kelly (actor)
- Irish a.k.a. David Ian Lee is an actor.
- read more about David Ian Lee (actor)
- Irish a.k.a. Tommy Wilson-O'Brien: Tommy Wilson-O'Brien is an actor.
- read more about Tommy Wilson-O'Brien (actor)
- Irish a.k.a. Charles Bice-Bey is an actor.
- read more about Charles Bice-Bey (actor)
- Irish is a fictional character from Naked Alibi.
- Irish is a fictional character in the 2003 action thriller film The Librarians.
- Irish is a fictional character from the 2013 film Road to Paloma.
- Irish is a Goidelic language of the Indo-European languages family, originating in Ireland and historically spoken by the Irish people. Irish is spoken as a first language by a small minority of Irish people, and as a second language by a rather larger group. Irish enjoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland, and is an officially recognised minority language in Northern Ireland. It is also an official language of the European Union. The public body Foras na Gaeilge is responsible for the promotion of the language throughout the island of Ireland.
- also known as Gaeilge; Irish language; Gaelic, Irish; Erse; Gaelic, Irish Language; Irish Gaelic; アイルランド・ゲール語; アイリッシュ・ゲール; ゲール語; Gaelic; Gailge
- Irish a.k.a. Irish food: Irish cuisine is a style of cooking originating from Ireland or developed by Irish people. It evolved from centuries of social and political change. The cuisine takes its influence from the crops grown and animals farmed in its temperate climate. The introduction of the potato in the second half of the 16th century heavily influenced Ireland's cuisine thereafter and, as a result, is often closely associated with Ireland. Representative Irish dishes include Irish stew, bacon and cabbage, boxty, coddle, and colcannon.
- read more about Irish food
- Irish is a subject of the Junior Cycle examination in Secondary schools in Ireland. There are three levels: Higher, Ordinary and Foundation.
- Irish is a language.
- Irish a.k.a. .irish is a proposed new generic top-level domain for the global Irish community. The rights to run the domain was applied for in June 2012 by Dot-Irish LLC, a for profit company in California, United States, as part of an expansion of generic top-level domains by ICANN. This application was successful and the domain is expected to be operational in 2014.
- Irish is an ethnicity.
- Irish: Denotes the inhabitants of Ireland, a person from there, or their descendants elsewhere.
- Irish a.k.a. The Spectrum Emulator: Spectrum emulator written in x86 assembler. Emulates a multiface one, kempston joystick and tape drive to save data as files in emulator directory.
- read more about The Spectrum Emulator
Phrases with Irish
Phrases starting with the word Irish:
- irish sea
- irish bull
- Irish Joke
- irish moss
- irish punt
- irish stew
- Irish Twin
- Irish Cream
- Irish Flute
- irish gorse
- Irish Hobby
- irish pound
- irish burgoo
- irish coffee
- irish gaelic
- irish people
- irish person
- irish potato
Phrases ending with the word Irish:
View more phrases with the word Irish in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Irish
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John O'Brien (R.C. bp. of Cloyne.)
Irish word Ca.io.jji, of which Ceitir is a corruption, signifies either a city, or town, or habitation. And Mr. Rowland very justly observes in the same place, not only that those are the vestiges qf the first habitations that were made by the first ...
Irish-English Dictionary (1832)
by John O'Brien
Irish word C<xi<x)j\, of which Ceitir is a corruption, signifies either a city, or town, or habitation. And Mr. Rowland very justly observes in the same place, not only that those are the vestiges of the first habitations that were made by the first ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Irish
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Irish
Click on an item to view that photo:
Mi hermana frente a su antiguo lugar de trabajo: La Esquina, con un magnifico color de pelo y saludable carcajada.
Photo credit: tj scenes
- Irish Cafe
Photo credit: dheerajdwivedi
- Irish Skies
Photo credit: Stephanie Watson Photography
- Irish Castle
Irish Castle near Galway
Photo credit: TS Drown
- Irish Heather
just coming into season
Photo credit: Liamfm .
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Irish
Click on an item to play that video:
- Irish Names For Things (Irish Slang)
The definitive guide to Irish words for things.
- IRISH SLANG CHALLENGE | Brett & Ray
MrMr travels back in time to St. Patrick's day to learn some slang! Become a Mister...
- Irish Slang and Explanations
Ever wondered what the hell Irish people were saying because of their slang and strong accents? Well here is a video telling you right now what the definitions ...
- Irish Expressions / Irish Slang | Clisare
Every Irish person you will ever meet talks like this.
- Irish Vocabulary
Presented by Ratoath College first year student, this presentation outlines some useful Irish vocabulary.
- Irish slang - Bout Yeh
Bout Yeh is Irish slang for what about you (or, how are you) and originates in Belfast Northern Ireland. Bout Yeh is also the name of the first soap drama from ...
- Irish vocabulary words for kids - Vehicles Song
- Irish dialect
- Connacht Irish Meaning
Video shows what Connacht Irish means. A dialect of the Irish language indigenous to the province of Connacht .. Connacht Irish Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Irish Yapping Explanation Video
- Neds Guide To Irish Slang
Neds Guide To Irish Slang.
- Truthful Irish presents: A Simple Explanation of the Banking Fraud
It really is a simple practice of fraud folks. Take the 5 mins it takes to watch this. Open your eyes to the lies.
- V.O. Demo - Irish Dialect
Molly Lyons Voice Over Demo - Irish Dialect.
- Irish Slang
- Marcus Prouse - Sorry Lost It's Meaning - Irish Country Music Star 2015
Marcus Prouse - Irish Country Music Star 2015 Sorry Lost It's Meaning, 21st century cowboy album out now on itunes, Also Garth brooks Tribute artist, Plus ...
- Regional Dialect Tag: Irish (Accent Tag!)
Say These Words: Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, ...
- Irish Language Weather Report
This is an example of the Irish Language spoken with true effortless speed.Put up to show friends why many people find it difficult to speak the language as it is ...
- It's a Blas - Irish Language in Northern Ireland (BBC Documentary)
BBC Northern Ireland journalist and broadcaster William Crawley attempts to learn the Irish language. Growing up in a North Belfast Protestant community, this ...
- Irish Language Alphabet
- Minecraft Survival Games - AS GAEILGE (In Irish Language)
Minecraft Survival Games - AS GAEILGE (In Irish Language) Survival Games has the same concept as Hunger Games the movie. A number of contestants must ...
- Original IRISH LANGUAGE & ACCENT TAG!!
- Oideas Gael - Irish Language and Cultural Holiday Centre
- Online Irish games - Click and tell online game - Irish language learning games for kids
See also the pronunciation examples of Irish!
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Alphabet in Irish Sign Language by DIT Sign Society
A short video lesson teaching the ABC of Irish Sign Language (ISL) Delivered by a member of the DIT Sign Language Society Dublin Institute of Technology, ...
- Irish Sign Language for Children (ANIMALS)
The first in the series: Irish Sign Language for children Made in conjunction with Sharing the Journey Eddie Redmond signs a selections of signs for young Deaf ...
- Colours in Irish Sign Language (ISL)
A short video lesson on Colours in Irish Sign Language (ISL) Covered in this video: colour, red, green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, pink, brown, grey, black, ...
- Animals in Irish Sign Language (ISL)
A short video lesson on Animals in Irish Sign Language (ISL) Covered in this video: animal, dog, cat, rabbit, fish, pet, elephant, giraffe, crocodile, snake, lion, ...
- Numbers 1 to 20 in Irish Sign Language (ISL)
A short video lesson teaching the numbers 1-20 in Irish Sign Language (ISL) Delivered by a member of the DIT Sign Language Society Dublin Institute of ...
Quotes about Irish
Scrabble value of I1R1I1S1H4
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of IRISH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Irish!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Irish to see it in context!