On this page:
Definition of the noun iron chancellor
What does iron chancellor mean as a name of something?
- German statesman under whose leadership Germany was united (1815-1898)
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of Iron Chancellor: Bismarck / Otto von Bismarck / Prince Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck / Prince Otto von Bismarck / von Bismarck
- instance of: national leader / solon / statesman = a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs
Who is Iron Chancellor?
Iron Chancellor a.k.a. Otto von Bismarck: Otto Eduard Leopold, Prince of Bismarck, Duke of Lauenburg, known as Otto von Bismarck, was a conservative Prussian statesman who dominated German and European affairs from the 1860s until 1890. In the 1860s he engineered a series of wars that unified the German states into a powerful German Empire under Prussian leadership. With that accomplished by 1871 he skillfully used balance of power diplomacy to preserve German hegemony in a Europe which, despite many disputes and war scares, remained at peace. For historian Eric Hobsbawm, it was Bismarck, who "remained undisputed world champion at the game of multilateral diplomatic chess for almost twenty years after 1871, [and] devoted himself exclusively, and successfully, to maintaining peace between the powers.
- also known as Otto Bismarck; Otto Eduard Leopold, Prince of Bismarck, Duke of Lauenburg; O. Bismarck; Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck; The Iron Chancellor; Otto Fürst von Bismarck
- born on (200 years ago) in Schönhausen, child of Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand von Bismarck and Wilhelmine Luise Mencken
- ethnicity: Germans
- nationality: Germany
- religion: Lutheranism
- profession: Statesman, lawyer
- Marriage with Johanna von Puttkamer between and (47 years and 4 months)
- parent of
- died on (116 years ago) in Friedrichsruh
- written works: "Gedanken und Erinnerungen", "Bismarck", "Fürst Bismarck als Redner", "Bismarck, The Man And The Statesman V1", "The Kaiser Vs. Bismarck"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Iron Chancellor
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Elizabeth Knowles
Iron Chancellor the nickname of the German statesman Otto von Bismarck (1815–98), Chancellor of the German Empire ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
Hence Bismarck was called the Iron Chancellor and Margaret Thatcher the Iron Lady. isle see aisle islet see eyelet issue This is a common word, and one rarely thinks how many different uses it possesses, conceptually linked though most of ...
The Classic First Edition by H. W. Fowler
Iron Chancellor (Bismarck) ; Iron Duke (Wellington); iron horse (railway engine); Jeames (footman); Jehu (cabman); jolly Roger (black flag); Kingmaker (Warwick) ...
by Carl Cavanagh Hodge
Known as the "Iron Chancellor," Otto von Bismarck was a European statesman, the architect of German unification, and the first Chancellor of the German Empire .
Oxford Dictionary of English (2010)
by Angus Stevenson
Iron Chancellor see BISMARCK2. ironclad 7adjective covered or protected with iron. 2impossible to contradict, weaken, or change: an ironclad guarantee. 7noun historical a 19th-century warship with armour plating. Iron Cross 7noun the ...
by Dean A. Stahl, Karen Landen
Iron Butterfly Imelda mauldos Marcos Iron Chancellor Prince Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck-Schönhausen—first chancellor of German Empire Iron Charles Charlemagne (Carolus Magnus) Iron City Bessemer, Alabama and Pittsburgh, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Iron Chancellor
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Iron Chancellor
Click on an item to view that photo:
The Iron Chancellor
Photo credit: Lichtspieler81
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos: