On this page:
- Definition of the noun isolation
- Phrases with Isolation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Isolation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Isolation
- Photos about Isolation
- Video language resources about Isolation
- Quotes about Isolation
- Scrabble value of I1S1O1L1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Isolation is a member of the word family isolate, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
Definition of the noun isolation
What does isolation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: isolations
- a state of separation between persons or groups
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic word: separation = the state of lacking unity
- more specific words:
- solitude = the state or situation of being alone
- solitude / purdah = a state of social isolation
- solitariness / loneliness = the state of being alone in solitary isolation
- quarantine = enforced isolation of patients suffering from a contagious disease in order to prevent the spread of disease
- detachment / insularism / insularity / insulation = the state of being isolated or detached
- estrangement / alienation = separation resulting from hostility
- anomie / anomy = personal state of isolation and anxiety resulting from a lack of social control and regulation
- concealment / privateness / privacy / secrecy = the condition of being concealed or hidden
- a feeling of being disliked and alone
- the act of isolating something; setting something apart from others
- (psychiatry) a defense mechanism in which memory of an unacceptable act or impulse is separated from the emotion originally associated with it
- domain: psychiatry / psychological medicine / psychopathology
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- more generic terms: defence / defence mechanism / defence reaction / defense / defense mechanism / defense reaction = an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
- a country's withdrawal from international politics
- "Isolation" is a 2005 Irish horror film directed and written by Billy O'Brien and produced by Film Four and Lions Gate Film Studios. The film was released direct to DVD on 26 June 2007.
- countries: Republic of Ireland, United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- director: Billy O'Brien
- production design by Paul Inglis
- cinematography by Robbie Ryan
- genres: Horror, Science Fiction
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Isolation" is a film, directed by Stephen T. Kay and written by Chris Billett.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Danny Sherman, Josh Kesselman, John Baca, David S. Greathouse, Stephen T. Kay & Matty Beckerman
- production design by Cabot McMullen
- set decoration by Beth Wooke
- genre: Horror
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Isolation" is a documentary film by Luke Seomore and Joseph Bull completed in 2009.
Phrases with Isolation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Isolation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George Karleskint, Richard Turner, James Small
Habitat isolation is the prevention of interbreeding due to populations occupying different habitats. Anatomical isolation is the prevention of interbreeding due to members of different species having incompatible copulatory structures.
Chronic Illness in Canada (2012)
by Marnie Kramer-Kile, Joseph Osuji
Isolation means the inability to value highly held goals or beliefs that others usually value.
subjective emotional state of the individual, whereas social isolation is the objective state of deprivation of social contact and content (Bennet , 1980).
Chronic Illness (2009)
Impact and Intervention by Pamala D. Larsen, Ilene Morof Lubkin
S0Cial /SOlation and AlOménêSS Tightly linked with social isolation is the need for social support, which is the social context or...
In the NANDA description, social isolation is a cause for loneliness, but it is not a response of loneliness.
A Debate by Quentin Wheeler, Rudolf Meier
Because reproductive isolation is a real phenomenon, Hennigian species are as real as higher taxa, provided the latter are monophyletic. We have never argued otherwise and reject Mishler and Theriot's unjustified claims. When Mishler and ...
Dynamic Graphics Statistics (1988)
Isolation is the ability to select an arbitrary subset of the data sample at any point in the analysis, and perform upon this subset...
Isolation 2. Assimilation 3. Integration Isolation means both cultural and spatial isolation of minorities.
by William Stewart
Isolation • Interpersonal isolation is the separation of oneself from others, which results from either a deficiency in social skill or a pathological fear of intimacy.
Existential isolation is a fundamental isolation from people and from the world.
Selected Essays by Ernst Mayr
Geographic isolation refers to the division of a gene pool into two independent ones by strictly extrinsic factors. Reproductive isolation refers to the prevention of interbreeding of populations by intrinsic mechanisms, now called isolating ...
Lighter as We Go (2014)
Virtues, Character Strengths, and Aging by Mindy Greenstein, Jimmie Holland
Social isolation refers to having few social ties; the fewer social ties people have, the more socially isolated they are. • Loneliness refers to the subjective feeling that one's social ties are inadequate or less than one desires. One popular way of ...
Brain and Music (2012)
by Stefan Koelsch
and social isolation is a major risk factor for morbidity as well as mortality (House et al., 1988; Cacioppo & Hawkley, 2003).
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
ISOLATION 1. In microbiology, the separation of an organism from others, usually by making serial cultures. 2. Separation, for the period of communicability, of infected persons or animals from others under such conditions as to prevent or limit ...
Allochronic isolation Reproductive isolation arising due to differences in the timing of reproduction between two nascent species. Assortative mating The tendency of individuals to mate with similar individuals, particularly of the same species.
Volume 38 - Supplement 23: Algorithms for Designing Multimedia Storage Servers to Models and Architectures by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
Degree 3 isolation, also called repeatable reads, is the most restrictive and provides complete isolation. With degree 3 isolation, a transaction that wants to read/write a data item must wait for the completion of all other transactions that ...
by Jack Cazes
INTRODUCTION The isolation of membrane receptors has great application in a number of fields ranging from...
The use of selective receptor ligands promises isolation not only of a specific receptor but also possibly in a bioactive form.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Isolation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Isolation
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: smalljude
Photo credit: JLH3Photography
Photo credit: Pedro Nuno Caetano
Photo credit: Shockingly Tasty
isolation at lunch time
Photo credit: Leonard J Matthews
Photo credit: gomagoti
Photo credit: armadano
Photo credit: rileyroxx
Photo credit: jafsegal (Thanks for the 3 million views)
Photo credit: K.Hurley
Comments Most Welcome
Photo credit: rockindave1
Photo credit: Camillaen
Shrodinger's Cat toy
Photo credit: pinguino
Photo credit: Wajahat Mahmood
Australian windmill on the way to Robe, South Australia.
Photo credit: Bloody Nick
Photo credit: Thomas_H_photo
Photo credit: hairibaba
Photo credit: AnaisTerpellie | [ zerkalo ] | Shiny Shabby Event
Photo credit: TheeErin
Taken inside of the formerly notorious Alcatraz Prison.
Photo credit: Ben Andreas Harding
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Isolation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Isolation Meaning
Video shows what isolation means. The state of being isolated, detached, or separated.. The act of isolating.. The state of not having diplomatic relations with ...
- Socialization and Social Isolation: Definition & Case Studies
4 - Foundations of Society.
- Streak Plate for Isolation Explanation, Demo, Results
How to properly streak a bacterial plate for isolation. Video includes an explanation, followed by a demonstration, finishing up by showing you a good and a not ...
- Base isolation Meaning
Video shows what base isolation means. A collection of a building's structural elements resting on its foundation to provide partial separation of the building from ...
- Inception definition, Isolation days!
- Streak Plate for Isolation Explanation, Demo, Results
MLS Streak Isolation. How to properly streak a bacterial plate for isolation. Video includes an explanation, followed by a demonstration, finishing up by showing ...
- Today's Tip - Introducing New Vocabulary in Isolation
- Language of basketball - Isolation
Website United League...
- ALIEN: A CRAFTERS ISOLATION Coming Soon Check The Description!!!
- FRESH NC - ISOLATION POP TUTORIAL / Serbian language
Just showin some isolation pop technics to help you improove.Thx for watching ;)
View more videos about Matrix isolation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Isolation!
Quotes about Isolation
Scrabble value of I1S1O1L1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Isolation to see it in context!