On this page:
- Istanbul is the largest city in Turkey, constituting the country's economic, cultural, and historical heart. Its commercial and historical centre lies in the European part of Eurasia, while about a third of its population lives in the Asian part. With a population of 14.1 million, the city forms the largest urban agglomeration in Europe as well as the largest in the Middle East, and the sixth-largest city proper in the world. Istanbul's vast area of 5,343 square kilometers is coterminous with Istanbul Province, of which the city is the administrative capital. Istanbul is a transcontinental city, straddling the Bosphorus strait in northwestern Turkey between the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea.
- Istanbul a.k.a. Istanbul Province is a province located in north-west Turkey. It has an area of 5,343.02 km² and a population of 13,854,740. It is surrounded by the provinces of Tekirdağ to the west, Kocaeli to the east, the Black Sea to the northern part and the Sea of Marmara to the south. The Bosphorus Strait divides the province in two parts: the European side and the Asian side. Roughly 3.85 million people live on the Asian side in 2010 census, and 9.4 million on the European side.
There are other places with in their name, like Istanbul University, Istanbul Bilgi University, Istanbul Kultur University, Istanbul Kültür University, Istanbul Modern Art Museum, Istanbul Technical University.
- "Istanbul" is a song by English singer Morrissey. It is the fourth track on his World Peace Is None of Your Business album and was released as the second single off the album via digital download on 20 May 2014, through Harvest and Capitol Records.
- "Istanbul" is a musical album of Wax Poetic.
- also known as İstanbul
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Istanbul" is a musical album of Anthony Braxton.
- released in (20 years ago)
"Istanbul" a.k.a. "Istanboul" is a play by Rochelle Owens.
- read more about Istanboul
- "Istanbul" is a 1957 American adventure-drama film directed by Joseph Pevney and starring Errol Flynn, Cornell Borchers and John Bentley. It is a remake of the film Singapore with the location of the action moved to Turkey.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- art direction by Alexander Golitzen & Eric Orbom
- based on "Singapore" by Seton I. Miller
- cinematography by William H. Daniels
- music by Irving Gertz
- set decoration by Julia Heron & Russell A. Gausman
- genres: Remake, Crime Fiction, Drama
- released in (59 years ago)
- "Istanbul" a.k.a. "Isztambul" is a 2011 drama film written and directed by Ferenc Török.
- read more about Isztambul (film)
- "Istanbul" a.k.a. "Istambul" is a 2011 short animated film directed by İdil Ar.
- "Istanbul" is a 2013 short film.
- released in
- "Istanbul" is 2013 short animated film.
- country: Turkey
- genre: Animation
- released on
- Istanbul is a board game designed by Rüdiger Dorn and illustrated by Andreas Resch and Hans-Georg Schneider, published in 2014 by Pegasus Spiele.
- Istanbul a.k.a. Istanboul is a 1965 theater production of the play by Rochelle Owens. Florence Tarlow won an Obie award in 1966 for her performance in this production.
- read more about Istanboul
- Istanbul is the tenth novel in the long-running Nick Carter-Killmaster series of spy novels. Carter is a US secret agent, code-named N-3, with the rank of Killmaster. He works for AXE – a secret arm of the US intelligence services.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Istanbul
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Legacy of the Ninth (2008)
by Paul Anthony
Istanbul is a beautiful place to be a managing director of a false company, thought Crosby. The city was an attractive location to set up a company that traded legitimately and was funded by the British Government entirely as a cover for more ...
by Eric Nelson
Roamin' the Romans Istanbul is a wonderful, stewing city, piled with layers of history and culture and constantly mixing east and west at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. Spending time there means experiencing Byzantium, Nova Roma, ...
by Bayraktar, Ahmet, Uslay, Can
Today's Istanbul is a grand metropolitan center which goes through urbanization and a rapid transformation in social and economic structure (Cengiz, 2005). Istanbul has a population of approximately 12 million and is the greatest and most ...
by Vali Nasr
What separates Gaza, south Beirut, and Sadr City from the plight of Cairo or Istanbul is that in the latter two places there is a functioning state. No single Islamic organization of the like of Hamas, Hezbollah, or the Sadr movement can step ...
Powerful Political Women (2012)
Stirring Biographies of Some of History's Most Powerful Women by Joan McMahon Flatt
Today, the city is called Istanbul. When the great Roman Empire fell in A.D. 476, the eastern sector ofwhat remained became the Byzantine Empire. Constantinople was designated the capitol. Religious and political factions vied with each ...
The Byzantine Empire (2012)
by Jennifer Fretland VanVoorst
Today Constantinople is called Istanbul, and it is a thoroughly modern city in Turkey. Islam has replaced Christianity as the guiding religion. But the city is still a bridge between Europe and Asia. And because so many traditions persist from ...
On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
For a Turk, Istanbul is an extension of Turkish culture and the Turkish personality, reflecting its conflicts, ob- sessions, and character traits. Its complex and glorious history is evident in many of its buildings, glimpses of Byzantium and ...
by J Gordon Melton
Istanbul to idolatry. Much more damage was done in 1204, when frustrated Crusaders from Western Europe sacked the city and took charge for the next half century. Though reconstructed after 1261, much of the church's former glory never ...
Encyclopaedia of Islam (2013)
by Ian Richard Netton
ISTANBUL. Capital of the Ottoman Empire as Constantinople (ad 1453–1923), ancient Byzantium, and also called Qu(n)staniyya and many other honorific titles, now largest conurbation in Turkey and of great historical importance. Strictly ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Istanbul
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Istanbul
Photo credit: szeke
Videos about Istanbul
Click on an item to play that video:
- Istanbul Meaning
Video shows what Istanbul means. Turkish city and largest European city by population which was the last capital of Ottoman Empire.. Istanbul Meaning. How to ...
- Istanbul Dance Explanation
- Hagia Sophia Istanbul Main info and explanation
- The hadith explanation regarding the earthquake that hit Istanbul in 1999
- Language Lesson: Anadolu Efes Istanbul
A pair of teammates, Cedi Osman and Stephane Lasme of Anadolu Efes Istanbul, hold their own Turkish class...
- Language Lesson: Galatasaray Liv Hospital Istanbul
A pair of teammates, Sinan Guler and Pietro Aradori of Galatasaray Liv Hospital Istanbul, hold their own Turkish class...
- AIESEC ISTANBUL INTERNSHIP LANGUAGE
For internship opportunities in the world.
- Verb vs The Four Lads - Istanbul
Download MP3 here...
- CIOR Language Academy - Istanbul 2008
- Istanbul Language Center
- EUDC 2007 Istanbul ESL quarter draw
Just a short clip about how the positions were drawn on the EUDC.
- Functional Language Istanbul
- Adjective Clauses - Istanbul Ingilizce Ozel Ders - Mahir Sayar Txaqo 'Puc'
Istanbul Ingilizce Ozel Ders - Mahir Sayar Txaqo 'Puc' Zor diye birsey yoktur; Hersey sadece Yenidir.. Adjective Clauses...
- Pasiad Istanbul English Language
- Pasiad Istanbul Turkey Language
- Verb Be - Istanbul Ingilizce Ozel Ders - Mahir Sayar Txaqo 'Puc'
Istanbul Ingilizce Ozel Ders - Mahir Sayar Txaqo 'Puc' Zor diye birsey yoktur; Hersey sadece Yenidir..
- ESL Vegas 1 Istanbul vs Kiev Day 1 Game 3
View more videos about Istanbul University.
See also the pronunciation examples of Istanbul!
Quotes about Istanbul
Scrabble value of I1S1T1A1N1B3U1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ISTANBUL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Istanbul!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Istanbul to see it in context!