On this page:
- John Elliot was a Scottish officer of the Royal Navy who served during the Seven Years' War and the American War of Independence. He rose to the rank of Admiral, and served briefly as colonial governor of Newfoundland.
- John Elliot: John Herbert Elliot was a British novelist, screenwriter and television producer. Between 1954 and 1960 he scripted a succession of one-off television plays including War in the Air and A Man from the Sun. In 1961 he joined with astronomer Fred Hoyle to write the ground-breaking science fiction serial A for Andromeda which set the tone for all which was to follow in its stead. The success of A For Andromeda prompted a sequel, The Andromeda Breakthrough, in 1962.
- John Elliot was an American songwriter, credited with having written over 600 songs for motion pictures.
- born on (101 years ago)
- died on (43 years ago)
- John Elliot a.k.a. John Elliott was an actor.
- read more about John Elliott (actor)
- John Elliot: The Hon. John Edmund Elliot was a British Liberal politician.
- also known as Hon. John Edmund Elliot
- born on (226 years ago), child of Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 1st Earl of Minto and Anna Maria Amyand
- profession: Politician
- Marriage with Amelia Casamaijor between and (53 years)
- died on (153 years ago)
- John Elliot a.k.a. John M. Elliott Jr. is a makeup artist who was nominated at the 75th Academy Awards for Best Makeup. He was nominated for The Time Machine, his nomination was shared with Barbara Lorenz.
- read more about John M. Elliott Jr.
- John Elliot MD was a physician and scientist in eighteenth-century London who was the first person to conjecture that different parts of the retina respond to particular colours of light. However, he was obsessed with Mary Boydell, daughter of the publisher John Boydell, and in 1787 was arrested for attempting to murder her. Although acquitted of attempted murder, he starved himself to death while awaiting trial for assault in Newgate Gaol.
- born in (268 years ago)
- died on (228 years ago)
- John Elliot was an English lawyer and antiquary.
- born in (290 years ago)
- died in (233 years ago)
- John Elliot is a 2014 Canadian Screen Awards nominated artist.
- nominated to Canadian Screen Award for Best Sound in a Dramatic Program or Series - "Rookie Blue" (You Can See The Stars), with Paul Germann, Sue Conley, Kevin Banks, Stephan Carrier, Bill McMillan & Stephen Traub
- nominated to Canadian Screen Award for Best Sound in a Dramatic Program or Series - "Saving Hope" (Wishbones), with Paul Germann, Martin Lee, Ian Rankin, Kevin Banks, Bill McMillan & Sue Conley
- John Elliot appeared in the 2013 documentary film Folk.
- John Elliot is a makeup artist.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for John Elliot
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by T.J. Carty
Jessie Ellen Cadell John Elliot Cairnes Joseph Estlin Carpenter J. E. S. James Carnegie J. F. John Falconer John.
by W. Rubinstein, Michael A. Jolles
Born John Elliot Blumenfeld in London, the sonofR. D.*Blumenfeld, hewas educatedat Marlborough andthe RMC, Sandhurst, and ...
A Critical Dictionary of English Literature and British and American Authors, Living and Deceased (1891)
From the Earliest Accounts to the Latter Half of the Nineteenth Century by Samuel Austin Allibone
Eaton, John Elliot, Gilbert Eustace, John C. Dudley, Lady Jane Eaton, Nathaniel Elliot, R. Evance, Danl. Dudley, John Eaton, Rich. Elliott, Chas. B. Evanke, Geo.
A Critical Dictionary of English Literature and British and American Authors, Living and Deceased, from the Earliest Accounts to the Latter Half of the Nineteenth Century (1899)
Containing Over Forty-six Thousand Articles (authors), with Forty Indexes of Subjects by Samuel Austin Allibone
Eaton, John Elliot, Gilbert Eustace, John C. Dudley, Lady Jane Eaton, Nathaniel Elliot, R. Evance, Danl. Dudley, John Eaton, Rich. Elliott, Chaa. B. Evanke, Geo. Dudley, Paul Eaton, Saml.
Living and Deceased from the Earliest Accounts to the Middle of the Nineteenth Century. Containing Thirty Thousand Biographies and Literary Notices, with Forty Indexes of Subjects by Samuel Austin Allibone
Eaton, John Elliot, Gilbert Eustace, John C. Dudloy, Lady Jane Eaton, Nathaniel Elliot, R. Evanee, Danl. Dudley, John Katon, Rich. Elliott, Chas. В. Kranke, Geo. Dudley, Paul Eaton, Sam ].
by Andrew Dow
John Elliot, in a conversation with an American Colonel about a Pullman Car made available for General Eisenhower ...
by David Darling , Dirk Schulze-Makuch
A for Andromeda A BBC television science fiction series, written by cosmologist Fred Hoyle and author and TV producer John Elliot. It was broadcast in seven parts in 1961 and published as a novel the following year.1 A For Andromeda was ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for John Elliot
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of John Elliot to see it in context!