On this page:
- John Scofield, often referred to as "Sco", is an American jazz-rock guitarist and composer, who has played and collaborated with Miles Davis, Dave Liebman, Joe Henderson, Charles Mingus, Joey DeFrancesco, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, Pat Martino, Mavis Staples, Phil Lesh, Billy Cobham, Medeski Martin & Wood, George Duke, Jaco Pastorius, John Mayer, and many other well-known artists. At ease in the bebop idiom, Scofield is also well versed in jazz fusion, funk, blues, soul, rock and other forms of modern American music.
- also known as Scofield, John; Sco
- born on (64 years ago) in Dayton
- nationality: United States of America
- education: Berklee College of Music
- profession: Songwriter, musician, guitarist, composer
- member of musical groups:
- genres: Jazz fusion, Jazz, Jazz-funk, Post-bop, Smooth jazz, Acid jazz, Nu jazz
- albums: "Rough House", "Shinola", "Electric Outlet", "Groove Elation!", "Loud Jazz", "Pick Hits Live", "Hand Jive", "Liquid Fire: The Best of John Scofield", "A Go Go", "Blue Matter", "Bump", "Flat Out", "Grace Under Pressure", "John Scofield", "Pick Hits - John Scofield Band Live", "Quiet", "Slo Sco: Best of the Ballads", "Steady Groovin'", "Still Warm", "That's What I Say: John Scofield Plays the Music of Ray Charles", "The Best of John Scofield", "Time on My Hands", "What We Do", "Who's Who?", "Works for Me", "EnRoute: John Scofield Trio LIVE", "Meant to Be", "Scorched", "Bar Talk", "John Scofield Live", "Out Like a Light", "East Meets West", "Live at the Warfield", "This Meets That", "Live", "Piety Street", "Oh!", "Out Louder", "I Can See Your House From Here", "Up All Night", "A Moment's Peace", "54", "Tributaries", "Summertime", "Solar", "Ivory Forest", "All Strings Attached", "Shortcuts", "Überjam Deux", "Ask"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- official website: www.johnscofield.com
- John Scofield is an author.
- born in (102 years ago)
- written works: "John Scofield - Guitar Transcriptions", "Jazz-Funk Guitar I", "On Improvisation"
- John Scofield is the brother of actor Jeff York.
"John Scofield" is a musical album of John Scofield.
- released in (21 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for John Scofield
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John S. Davis
A guitarist, John Scofield first achieved jazz ...
Drum Set Styles Encyclopedia (2010)
by John Thomakos
“7th Floor” — John Scofield, Hand Jive. Bill Stewart on drums. “Tombo in 7/4” — Michel Camilo, Suntan. Dave Weckl on drums. T. 98 Listen to: “Nine Over Reggae” — Jack DeJohnette, Parallel Realities. Jack DeJohnette on drums.
by Jay H. Buckley, Brenden W. Rensink
Hail, John Scofield. Columbia: Robert Gray, John Kendrick and the ...
by Isidore Singer, Edwin Warren De Leon
ROWE, JOHN SCOFIELD: Secretary, accident and liability department, JStna Life Insur. Co., Hartford, Conn. ; b. at Grand Rapids, Mich., Nov. 6, 1868. Educated at Little Rock University. After graduating from the Grand Rapids Business ...
Opera, Music, Dance by Ann Atkinson, Linsay Knight, Margaret McPhee
Recent guests include guitarist John Scofield and Leo Kottke, and singers Betty Carter and Blossom Dearie. Other jazz greats include Herbie Hancock, Dizzy Gillespie, Georgie Fame and Courtney Pine. Top local bands such as <=>DIG, the ...
Over 280 Useful Jazz Guitar Licks by Jody Fisher
Or, imagine yourself as Wes Montgomery, Jimi Hendrixjoe Pass, John Coltrane, Philip Glass, Jim Hall, Miles Davis, John Scofield, Carlos Santana... whomever. You get the idea. With each new setting or personality you choose, your playing ...
Music in American Life: An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories that Shaped our Culture [4 volumes] (2013)
An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories That Shaped Our Culture by Jacqueline Edmondson Ph.D.
See also: Coltrane, John; Funk and Postpsychedelic Funk; Gillespie, Dizzy; Hancock, Herbie; Hendrix, Jimi; Blood, Sweat & Tears Frank Zappa Herbie Hancock John Scofield King Crimson Jimi Hendrix Prince Wayne Shorter Weather Report ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for John Scofield
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about John Scofield
Click on an item to view that photo:
- John Scofield
These shots were taken from stage right at the Kennedy Center for the Thelonius Monk Institute of Jazz Bass Competition Finals.
Photo credit: deejayqueue
- John Scofield
Dinant jazz nigths
Photo credit: GeS
- John Scofield's Ibanez
John Scofield's guitar. Taking during a performance of the Metropole Orchestra on the International Jazz Festival Enschede. John Scofield was a special guest.
Photo credit: Willem van Bergen
- John Scofield playing guitar
John Scofield playing his Ibanez guitar during a performance with the Metrople Orchestra.
Photo credit: Willem van Bergen
- John Scofield concert
Photo credit: Olivier Bruchez
Anagrams of JOHN SCOFIELD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of John Scofield!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of John Scofield to see it in context!