Jolly appears in the following tongue twister:
- Yally Bally had a jolly golliwog. Feeling folly, Yally Bally Bought his jolly golli' a dollie made of holly! The golli', feeling jolly, named the holly dollie, Polly. So Yally Bally's jolly golli's holly dollie Polly's also jolly!
(by Mistah Twistah, Tony Valuch)
Jolly appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Jolly housewives made inexpensive meals using quick-frozen vegetables. (61 letters)
- Travelling beneath the azure sky in our jolly ox-cart, we often hit bumps quite hard. (68 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective jolly:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb jolly:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun jolly
- Definition of the adjective jolly
- Definition of the adverb jolly
- Definition of the verb jolly
- Phrases with Jolly
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Jolly
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Jolly
- Photos about Jolly
- Videos about Jolly
- Quotes about Jolly
- Scrabble value of J8O1L1L1Y4
- Share this page
The word jolly is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun jolly
What does jolly mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: jollies
- a happy party
- a yawl used by a ship's sailors for general work
Alternative definition of the noun jolly
- [British] a pleasure trip or excursion
Definition of the adjective jolly
What does jolly mean as an attribute of a noun?
Jolly is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more jolly / jollier | most jolly / jolliest
- full of or showing high-spirited merriment
Alternative definition of the adjective jolly
- Full of high and merry spirits; jovial.
Definition of the adverb jolly
What does jolly mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- to certain extent or degree
Alternative definition of the adverb jolly
- [British, dated] very, extremely
Definition of the verb jolly
What does jolly mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: jollied
- be silly or tease one another
- Jolly is a city in Clay County, Texas, United States. It is part of the Wichita Falls, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 172 at the 2010 census.
- JOLLY is an Aviation waypoint, Geocode.
- Jolly a.k.a. Jolly, Kentucky: Jolly is an unincorporated community within Webster County, Kentucky, United States. It was also known as Jolty.
- read more about Jolly, Kentucky
- Jolly a.k.a. Jolly Mukherjee is an Indian singer/songwriter/producer. Known as India's "King of Strings", Mukherjee specializes in the music of Bollywood, or the Indian film industry. He started his career as a backup singer for commercials, then moving on to writing music for airline on-flight introductions, where he sometimes wrote for British Airways. His roots include a mixture of Hindustani classical music and Western music. He is known for working with the Madras Cinematic Orchestra, where he combines percussion sampled from Bombay with strings from Madras. His latest album, Fusebox, included remixes from State of Bengal and Badmarsh & Shri, from which the remixed version of "Bhatiyali" achieved success. He is famous in Bangladesh for providing playback for veteran actor Dipjol. One of his famous song in Dhallywood is Ki batti lagaili. He provided the string arrangements for the Icelandic performer Björk's song "Verandi".
- read more about Jolly Mukherjee (actor)
- Jolly a.k.a. Nikola Vujovic is an actor.
- read more about Nikola Vujovic (actor)
- Jolly is a film score composer.
- also known as Jolly-Kishore
- profession: Film score composer
- Jolly is a film producer.
- profession: Film producer
- Domestic partnership with Vimi
- Jolly is the parent of Rosin Jolly.
- parent of Rosin Jolly
Jolly is an American progressive rock/alternative rock band from New York City, also known as The Incredible Jolly.
- genre: Progressive rock
- albums: "Forty-Six Minutes, Twelve Seconds of Music", "The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)"
- official website: www.jollyband.com
Jolly is an Italian record company founded in 1958 by Walter Guertler.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 1982 film Kiss Me Goodbye.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2006 film Mungaru Male.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2008 film Hashar.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2013 film Jolly LLB.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2012 comedy film Challo Driver.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2010 film The Second Best Science Fiction Movie Ever Made.
- Jolly is a fictional character from the 2013 film Jatt Boys Putt Jattan De.
- Jolly a.k.a. Jagdish Tyagi is a fictional character from the 2013 film Jolly LLB.
- read more about Jagdish Tyagi
"Jolly" is a book by John Weston.
"Jolly" is a 1998 Tamil film directed by Dilipkumar and produced by R. B. Choudary. The film features an ensemble cast of Abbas, Keerthi Reddy, Kausalya, Livingston and Kushboo in the leading roles, while S. P. Balasubramaniam and Janagaraj also appear in supporting roles. The film was released to a mixed response in May 1998.
- country: India
- language: Tamil Language
- producer: R. B. Choudary
- genres: Tamil cinema, World cinema
- released on (17 years ago)
Jolly: The word jolly can be used as either a noun or an adjective.
Phrases with Jolly
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Jolly
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George Laurence Gomme
Jolly Fishermen. Jolly Hooper.
Dictionary of Pub Names (2006)
Jolly This has long been a popular word with pub-namers, suggesting as it does someone who is of lively and happy disposition, jovial, laughing loudly as some- one does who is slightly, but pleasantly, intoxicated. In earlier, times the word ...
Knights Templar Encyclopedia (2007)
The Essential Guide to the People, Places, Events, and Symbols of the Order of the Temple by Karen Ralls
Jolly Roger The now infamous Roger de Flor has become known as one of the most successful pirates of the late 13th century. Roger de Flor was a key player in the late 13th-century naval scene and commanded a vast army of mounted ...
by Bernard Wood
(Jolly et al. 1997) and in connection with the Hamadryas baboon and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Jolly
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Jolly
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Jolly
Click on an item to play that video:
- Jolly Meaning
Video shows what jolly means. Full of high and merry spirits; jovial.. jolly pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. jolly meaning.
- Destiny: Taken King | Jolly Holiday Quest EXPLANATION
Explanation of "Jolly Holliday"/Chaperone exotic Shotgun Quest up to Step 5 -- Watch live at...
- Rep. Jolly: 'Accountability' Has Different Meaning To Obama
- Mr. Jolly Bottoms Fancy Word Dictionary
Ever find yourself feeling socially inept at get-togethers? Feeling like you're not the life of the party like you used to be? Been melting into the background ...
- CM Kejriwal should avoid such language: Vijay Jolly
- Le Beaumont Language Centre - Jolly Phonics
An interactive phonics lesson about the letter 'F'.
- Le Beaumont Language Centre - Jolly Phonics
An interactive phonics lesson about the letter 'B'.
- Jolly Penguin toy Language Nursery Version DVD
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
See also the pronunciation examples of Jolly!
Quotes about Jolly
Over jolly dow not.
more quotes about jolly...
Scrabble value of J8O1L1L1Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Jolly to see it in context!