The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun layer:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun layer
- Definition of the verb layer
- Phrases with Layer
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Layer
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Layer
- Photos about Layer
- Video language resources about Layer
- Quotes about Layer
- Scrabble value of L1A1Y4E1R1
- Anagrams of LAYER
- Share this page
The word layer and its family (layered, layering, layers) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun layer
What does layer mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: layers
- single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of layer: bed
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific words:
- backing / mount = something forming a back that is added for strengthening
- blanket = a layer of lead surrounding the highly reactive core of a nuclear reactor
- course / row = a layer of masonry
- cushion = the layer of air that supports a hovercraft or similar vehicle
- interlayer = a layer placed between other layers
- lift = one of the layers forming the heel of a shoe or boot
- overlay = a layer of decorative material (such as gold leaf or wood veneer) applied over a surface
- ply = one of several layers of cloth or paper or wood as in plywood
- tier = one of two or more layers one atop another
- wall = a layer of material that encloses space
- part of: laminate = a sheet of material made by bonding two or more sheets or layers
- a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- more generic words: part / region = the extended spatial location of something
- more specific terms:
- stratum = one of several parallel layers of material arranged one on top of another
- asthenosphere = the lower layer of the crust
- chromosphere = a gaseous layer of the sun's atmosphere (extending from the photosphere to the corona) that is visible during a total eclipse of the sun
- Earth's crust / crust = the outer layer of the Earth
- exosphere = the outermost atmospheric layer
- hydrosphere = the watery layer of the earth's surface
- lithosphere / geosphere = the solid part of the earth consisting of the crust and outer mantle
- lower mantle = the deeper part of the mantle
- mantle = the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- mesosphere = the atmospheric layer between the stratosphere and the thermosphere
- ozone layer / ozonosphere = a layer in the stratosphere (at approximately 20 miles) that contains a concentration of ozone sufficient to block most ultraviolet radiation from the sun
- stratosphere = the atmospheric layer between the troposphere and the mesosphere
- Earth's surface / surface = the outermost level of the land or sea
- thermosphere = the atmospheric layer between the mesosphere and the exosphere
- tropopause = the region of discontinuity between the troposphere and the stratosphere
- troposphere = the lowest atmospheric layer
- upper mantle = the upper part of the mantle
- cell wall = a rigid layer of polysaccharides enclosing the membrane of plant and prokaryotic cells
- snow = a layer of snowflakes (white crystals of frozen water) covering the ground
- an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
- a hen that lays eggs
- thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: anatomical structure / bodily structure / body structure / complex body part / structure = a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing and its construction and arrangement
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun layer
- A single thickness of some material covering a surface
- synonym: stratum
- A (usually) horizontal deposit; a stratum.
- A person who lays things, such as tiles.
- A hen kept to lay eggs.
- An item of clothing worn under or over another.
- A shoot of a plant, laid underground for growth.
Definition of the verb layer
What does layer mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: layered | layering | layers
- make or form a layer
Alternative definition of the verb layer
- [ambitransitive] to cut or divide (something) into layers
- [ambitransitive] to arrange (something) in layers.
- Layer: In object-oriented design, a layer is a group of classes that have the same set of link-time module dependencies to other modules. In other words, a layer is a group of reusable components that are reusable in similar circumstances. In programming languages, the layer distinction is often expressed as "import" dependencies between software modules.
- Layer: A layer is the deposition of molecules on a substrate or base .
- read more about Layer element
- Layer is a website.
- official website: stateofhawaii.info/people/Layer
Phrases with Layer
Phrase starting with the word Layer:
Phrases ending with the word Layer:
- e layer
- f layer
- to layer
- germ layer
- horny layer
- ozone layer
- tissue layer
- appleton layer
- boundary layer
- Graphene Layer
Other phrases containing the word Layer:
View more phrases with the word Layer in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Layer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Biology of the Eye (2005)
by Jorge Fischbarg
The epichoroid, or suprachoroidal layer is the outermost part of the choroid facing the sclera.
by CTI Reviews
The benthic boundary layer is the layer of water directly above the sediment at the bottom of a river, lake or sea. It is generated by the friction of the water moving over the surface of the substrate. The thickness of this zone is determined by ...
Going to University Abroad (2013)
A Guide to Studying Outside the UK by Martin Hyde, Anthony Hyde
The first layer is the new classroom and the academic culture you are in, the second is the new university with its different administration and general pro- cedures, the third layer is the social life associated with the university environment ...
Star Gods of the Maya (1999)
Astronomy in Art, Folklore, and Calendars by Susan Milbrath
The first layer is the visible sky, the second is where the stars and moon are located, and the third is where the sun (Christ), the bright constellations, and St. Jerome are located (Gossen 1974b:21, Fig. 1). Data collected in the Yucatec Maya ...
Advances in Petri Nets by Wolfgang Reisig, Grzegorz Rozenberg
The first layer is the most fundamental and is especially well suited for a thorough investigation of foundational issues of concurrent systems.
by Markku Saastamoinen, Maria João Fradinho, Ana Sofia Santos, Nicoletta Miraglia
Increase in cell wall material Plant cell walls consist of four layers: the outermost layer is the middle lamella which separates adjacent cells in cell division, the second layer is the primary cell wall, the third is the secondary cell wall, and the ...
The Micrographic Dictionary (1875)
A Guide to the Examination and Investigation of the Structure and Nature of Microscopic Objects by John William Griffith, Arthur Henfrey
as the termination of the retina, consists of a single layer of beautiful, regularly six- rided cells (fig. 209 a, b), from 1-2000 to l-loOO" in diameter; they contain abundance of pigment. Beyond the margin of the retina, the ...
Designed to Give, in Complete and Accurate Statement, and in the Readiest Form for Popular Use, the Orthography, Pronunciation, Meaning and Etymology of All the Words and Terms Used in the Ophthalmic Sciences by Robert H. Knowles, Rollin Henry Knowles
The Sclerotic Tunic is a dense, white, fibrous layer of the eyeball which serves the purpose of offering a strong protection to the intra-ocular contents and also offers a strong support for the insertion of the extra ocular muscle. This tunic is poorly ...
by Jack Cazes
Layer. Chromatography. Fernando M. Lanzas Institute de Quimica de Sao Carlos , Universidade. Jan K. Rozyto Marie Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin, Poland INTRODUCTION Conventional TLC in our experience, known under the name ...
by P. Somasundaran
Following a mass action law, any increase in the concentration of free ions in solution will promote the exchange with bound counterions localized in the Stern layer of the micelle. Multivalent ions exhibit a higher affinity for the surface of the ...
by Michael R. Peres
Cross section through an Ilfochrome copy material (six layers). gelatin layer is coated on top to physically protect the photographic layers. Figure 45 shows the material in a wet and therefore swollen state after development and before ...
by Nicholas D. Spencer, John H. Moore
x = 0, the concentration of the electroactive species will be c" and up to a distance S away from the electrode, there is a stagnant layer, in which diffusion is the only form of mass transport (the Nernst diffusion layer).
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Layer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Layer
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: bebal
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Layer
Click on an item to play that video:
- Typical cross sections - First layer definition
Video tutorial for Anadelta Tessera. Anadelta Tessera is a multifunctional road design program. While it has been designed with large scale projects in mind, it is ...
- Typical cross sections - Third layer definition
- First layer definition
- Layer Meaning
Video shows what layer means. A single thickness of some material covering a surface. An item of clothing worn under or over another.. A (usually) horizontal ...
- Third layer definition
- Basic Layer 2 explanation Switch Bridge
- Obeo Designer - Feature - Layer Definition
- Seismogenic layer Meaning
Video shows what seismogenic layer means. A seismogenic zone. Seismogenic layer Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- OSI layer Meaning
Video shows what OSI layer means. Any of the seven layers of abstraction in the OSI model of communications systems. OSI layer Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- OSI layer 8 Meaning
Video shows what OSI layer 8 means. The user.. OSI layer 8 Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say OSI layer 8. Powered by ...
- Basal layer Meaning
Video shows what basal layer means. The deepest layer of the epidermis. basal layer synonyms: stratum basale. Basal layer Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Brain and Piano--He Ren's Explanation for the Layer of Music
Brain and Piano--He Ren's Explanation for the Layer of Music.
- Simple Layer Mask Explanation in Photoshop CS5
- Ce413 Lab Session 2: Introduction to ArcCatalog, Layer and Shapefile Definition in in ArcMap
Welcome To The Second Lab Session of the "CE-413 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems" Prepared by : Kenan BOLAT Part : 2 Before begining the ...
- Rotorua Temperature Inversion Layer High Resolution explanation & images
- First Layer (In-depth Explanation)
- Last Layer (In-Depth Explanation)
- Last Layer Verbal Explanation
- Tizen Native Display Layer - EFL Architecture and Usage
EFL (The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) were written to support the development of Enlightenment, and ultimately became a complete toolkit for making ...
- Sabarkantha: 'Language' of creamy layer certificate keeps a youth away from government job - Tv9
Sabarkantha: Kautubh Gosai, a youth from the district has alleged that he has been denied the government job just because his creamy layer certificate is in ...
- Neural networks [10.7] : Natural language processing - hierarchical output layer
- 4 layer ESL
- Glamorise Women's Double Layer Custom Control Sport Bra - Product Description
- Product language layer
- Rock layer description
- Neural Language Grounding - Output Layer
- Suleman Malik Owner of (ESL) Extreme secure layer
- Language Layer
- 94 Adobe Photoshop, Description of Layer L PLab
See also the pronunciation examples of Layer!
Quotes about Layer
At the center of each human heart is goodness, layered over with hurt, confusion, and mistaken ideas. Our task is to gently peel off layer after layer until the unfettered heart can shed its love upon the world. (Sue Patton Thoele)
more quotes about layer...
Scrabble value of L1A1Y4E1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LAYER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Layer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Layer to see it in context!