On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun lesser burdock
What does lesser burdock mean as a name of something?
- a plant that is ubiquitous in all but very acid soil; found in most of Europe and North Africa
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Arcion minus / species Arcion minus / Arctium chabertii / species Arctium chabertii / Arctium chabertii aellenianum / subspecies Arctium chabertii aellenianum / Arctium chabertii balearicum / subspecies Arctium chabertii balearicum / Arctium chabertii chabertii / subspecies Arctium chabertii chabertii / Arctium chabertii corsicum / subspecies Arctium chabertii corsicum / Arctium conglomeratum / species Arctium conglomeratum / Arctium euminus / species Arctium euminus / Arctium lappa / species Arctium lappa / Arctium lappa pubens / subspecies Arctium lappa pubens / Arctium minus minus / form Arctium minus minus / Arctium minus pubens / subspecies Arctium minus pubens / Arctium minus corymbosum / variety Arctium minus corymbosum / variety Arctium minus minus / Arctium montanum / species Arctium montanum / Arctium nemorosum pubens / subspecies Arctium nemorosum pubens / variety Arctium nemorosum pubens / Arctium pubens / species Arctium pubens / Arctium pubens pubens / variety Arctium pubens pubens / Arctium tomentosum pubens / subspecies Arctium tomentosum pubens / Bardana minor / species Bardana minor / Lappa chabertii / species Lappa chabertii / Lappa minor / species Lappa minor / Lappa minor minor / variety Lappa minor minor / Lappa minor pubens / variety Lappa minor pubens / Lappa pubens / species Lappa pubens / Arctium minus
- synonym of lesser burdock: common burdock
- more generic words: burdock / clotbur = any of several erect biennial herbs of temperate Eurasia having stout taproots and producing burs
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Lesser Burdock
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Comprehending a Concise View of the Latest Discoveries, Inventions, and Improvements, Chiefly Applicable to Rural and Domestic Economy. Together with Descriptions of the Most Interesting Objects of Nature and Art; the History of Men and Animals, in a State of Health Or Disease; and Practical Hints Respecting the Arts and Manufactures, Both Familiar and Commercial, Illustrated with Numerous Engravings and Cuts in Five Volumes by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich, James Mease
[Urea Urai, Bear berry-1 Xanthium Strumarium, Lesser Burdock. elasrica, Caoutchouc Zantlzoxylon, Prickly Yellowwood. Zm lllays, Maize. Zizania aquatica , \Vater-Zizany. Zosm-a Aluides, \Vater Aloe ;_ Z. marina, Sea~grass—\Vrack.
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
English: common burdock, lesser burdock Arctocalyx Fenzl Gesneriaceae Origins: From the Greek arktos "a bear" and kalyx "calyx." Arctocrania Nakai Cornaceae Origins: From the Greek arktos "a bear" and kraneia, kranon, kra- neion for ...
Lexicon Physico-medicum (1794)
Or, A New Medicinal Dictionary. Explaining the Difficult Terms Used in the Several Branches of the Profession ... by John Quincy
Bardana Minor, lesser burdock, or louse-burr. - Bariglia, or Barilla, names of the mineral fixed alkaline salt. Barilla is the Saisola Soda of Linnaeus, or glass-wort. The most perfect grows only at Alicant in Spain. The salt called barilla, is blue ...
by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich
Xanthium Strumarium, Lesser Burdock. elastica, Caoutchouc Zanthoxylon, Prickly Yellowwood. Zea Mays, Maize. Zizania aquatica, Water-Zizany. Zostera Aloides, Water Aloe; Z. marina, Sea-grass-Wrack. ABSORBENTS, see Chalk.
The Domestic Encyclopaedia (1802)
Or, A Dictionary of Facts, and Useful Knowledge, Comprehending a Concise View of the Latest Discoveries, Inventions, and Improvements, Chiefly Applicable to Rural and Domestic Enconomy ... by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich
Xanthium Strumarium, Lesser Burdock. Zanthoxylon, Prickly Yellow. wood. - Zea Mays, Maize. Zizania aquatica, Water-Zi. zany. Zostera Aloides, Water Aloe; Z. marina, Sea-grass-Wrack, Cones - A. ABSORBENTS, see Chalk. Abstergents, see ...
A synopsis of British plants, in Mr. Ray's method, with their characters, descriptions ... and physical virtues ... with a Botanical Dictionary, etc (1744)
by John WILSON (Botanist.)
XANTHwM, the Lesser Burdock. It hath a flosculous flower, consisting of many fiorets, which are barren; out of which arises the chiVes, supporting' the summits, : for the most part bifidj. The fruit is oblong ; 'for the r'nost part prickley, divided into ...
A New Medical Dictionary (1817)
Containing an Explanation of the Terms in Anatomy, Physiology ... and the Various Branches of Natural Philosophy Connected with Medicine by Robert Hooper
The lesser burdock. This herb Xanthium ttrumarium of Linnaeus, was once esteemed in the cure of scrophu- Ja, but like most other remedies against this disease, proves ineffectual. The seeds are administered internally in some countries ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
in English: burdock, clotbur, cockle-button, common burdock, cuckoo-button, lesser burdock, smaller burdock Arctomecon Torrey & Fremont Papaveraceae Greek arktos 'a bear, the north' and mekon 'poppy', referring to the long hairs, see ...
Medical Dictionary (1813)
Containing an Explanation of the Terms in Surgery, Medicine, Midwifery, Anatomy, Chemistry, &c. &c. &c by John James Watt
The Lesser Burdock. it was ...
The American Medical Lexicon (1811)
On the Plan of Quincy's Lexicon Physico-medicum, with Many Retrenchments, Additions, and Improvements; Comprising an Explanation of the Etymology and Signification of the Terms Used in Anatomy, Physiology, Surgery, Materia Medica, Chemistry, and the Practice of Physic. Compiled from the Most Approved Authorities
Barrlana ll/liner, lesser burdock, or louse-burr. Barilla. Soda. JVatron. The plant from which this mineral alkali is principally procured, is the Stllsola kali of Linnaeus, which is cultivated on the coast of the Mediterranean. The plants, about the ...
Dictionarium Rusticum, Urbanicum & Botanicum: Or, A Dictionary of Husbandry, Gardening, Trade, Commerce, and All Sorts of Country-affairs (1726)
by Nathan Bailey, John Worlidge
The lesser Burdock is heating and discussive; the Leaves are made use of to take out the Fire of an inflamed Canis on the Road, and give to the Cow you would have take Bull, and let the Bull ...
African fleabane; Artemisia, wormwood, or mugwort; Seriphium ; Eriocephalus; Filago, cotton, or cudweed; Micropus, base cudweed; Iva, false Jesuits' bark tree; Parthenium, base feverfew; Ambrosia; Strumpsia; Xanthium, lesser burdock.
A new medical dictionary; or, general repository of physic ... The fourth edition: revised and corrected, with considerable additions, by George Wallis, M.D. (1795)
by George MOTHERBY, George WALLIS (M.D.)
–MINo R, called also lappa minor, xanthium, cheradolethron, by AErrus, the LEssER BURDock, or LoUsE-BUR. The stalk is juicy, the leaves oblong and sharp-pointed, and of a yellowiih green. The flowers are inconfiderable, but the fruit is a ...
Medical lexicon (1851)
by Robley Dunglison
XAN'THIUM, X struma' Hum sen Orienta'li seu Vulga're, Barda'na minor, Lappa minor, Lesser Burdock, Burweed, Burthistle, Clotbur, (F.) Lampourde, Petit Glonteron, Petite Bardane. This herb, as one of its names imports, was once esteemed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Lesser Burdock
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Lesser Burdock
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Arctium minus (Lesser Burdock)
Arctium minus (Lesser Burdock) developing fruit
Photo credit: Plant Image Library
- Arctium minus (Lesser Burdock)
"A Flora of Anglesey" website...
Photo credit: Hugh Knott
- Lesser burdock (Arctium minus)
Photographed near Newton, Suffolk, England.
Photo credit: Deanster1983 who's mostly off
- Gewone Klit - Lesser Burdock B&W
Die bolletjes blijven zo lekker aan je jas hangen (ook leuk om bij anderen te doen....)
Photo credit: Arend Vermazeren
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Lesser Burdock to find many related words and phrases!