Libido appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- O slate bidet, a sod I bilk radared nudes used under a dark libido, sated, I bet, also.
On this page:
Libido (sexual desire) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun libido
What does libido mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: libidos
- (psychoanalysis) a Freudian term for sexual urge or desire
- examples: If you have problems with low libido my suggestion is to go see a doctor or someone with expertise on this issue. | East Indian sexuality has been influenced by recent colonial history. By no means are the levels of libido homogeneous throughout India, of course. | He has a low libido.
- domain: analysis / depth psychology / psychoanalysis
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- more generic terms: concupiscence / eros / physical attraction / sexual desire = a desire for sexual intimacy
Alternative definition of the noun libido
- [context: common usage] Sexual urges or drives.
- antonym: boredom
- [psychology] Drives or mental energies related or based on sexual instincts but not necessarily sexual in and of themselves.
- Libido: Líbido is a Peruvian rock band formed in 1996.
- also known as Líbido
- genres: Rock music, Pop rock, Alternative rock, Rock en español
- albums: "Libido", "Hembra", "Pop*Porn", "Lo Último que Hable Ayer", "Un Día Nuevo", "Libido Acústica", "Rarezas", "Sesión en vivo", "Rarezas en vivo"
- official website: www.libidonet.com
- Libido is a musical group.
- albums: "Killing Some Dead Time", "Blow", "Revolving", "Supersonic Daydream", "Overthrown"
- Libido is a musical group.
- albums: "Prepozno doma", "Drugič enkrat"
- "Libido": Libido is the first studio album by Líbido, released in 1998.
- "Libido" a.k.a. "Libidó" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Libido" est le quinzième album de Brigitte Fontaine, paru en 2006. Son habillage en rose et noir correspond parfaitement à sa double tonalité.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Libido" is the fourth album from Buck-O-Nine and was originally released in 1999 on TVT Records. The album marks a slight musical departure for the band, as they expanded their musical style slightly to include more rock and pop influence. Overall, however, the album remains rooted in the band's traditional style of ska, punk rock and reggae influences. Libido features Philadelphia drummer Chuck Treece, who was brought on board for pre-production and recording sessions, while the band auditioned drummers to replace original drummer Steve Bauer.
- genre: Ska punk
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Libido" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Libido" is a musical single of Ana Carolina.
- released on
- "Libido" is a musical single of DJ Umek.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Libido" a.k.a. "Libido (feat. Judie Jay)" is a musical single of Karányi.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Libido" is a 1973 Australian drama film comprising 4 segments written and directed as independent stories, but screened together as one piece, exploring a common theme of instinctive desire and contemporary sexuality.
- country: Australia
- language: English Language
- directors: Tim Burstall, Fred Schepisi, John B. Murray & David Baker
- producers: Christopher Muir & John B. Murray
- executive producers: Christopher Muir & John B. Murray
- written by Thomas Keneally, Craig McGregor, Hal Porter & David Williamson
- Max Gillies as Gerry
- Judy Morris as Sybil
- Jill Forster as Mother
- Jack Thompson as Ken
- Robyn Nevin as Sister Caroline
- Elke Neidhardt as Penelope
- Bryon Williams as Jonathon
- Mark Albiston as Harold
- John Williams as Martin
- Bruce Barry as David
- Arthur Dignam as Father Burn
- Vivean Gray as Elderly nun
- Debbie Nankervis as First Girl
- Suzanne Brady as Second girl
- Louise Homfrey as Housekeeper
- cinematography by Robin Copping, Ian Baker, Bruce McNaughten & Eric Lomas
- edited by Brian Kavanagh, Tim Lewis, David Bilcock & Edward McQueen-Mason
- music by Bruce Smeaton, Tim Healey, Bill Green , Peter Best
- genre: Drama
- released on (41 years ago)
- Golden Reel Award for Best Short Fiction Film (For segment "The Child".) nomination for Tim Burstall
- AACTA Award for Best Lead Actress nomination for Judy Morris
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Cinematography in a Non-Feature Film nomination for Robin Copping
- AACTA Award for Best Lead Actress, received by Judy Morris
- Golden Reel Award for Best Short Fiction Film (For segment "The Child".), received by Tim Burstall
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Cinematography in a Non-Feature Film (Bronze Medaillon (Colour) for segment "The Child"), received by Robin Copping
- "Libido" is a 2013 Egyptian short film by Youssef Alimam about the premarital sex scene in Egypt. The comedic documentary sheds a playful light on the more serious issue of traditional norms that are slowly being broken down by Egyptian youth. Mazen, the main character, is a young Egyptian man trying to deal with his sexual desires. The use of cartoons along with actual actors makes the serious content more playful, and more relatable to youth groups in the Middle East. The film is available for viewing on YouTube.
- country: Egypt
- language: Arabic Language
Libido a.k.a. Libido Language: Libido is an Afro-Asiatic language of Ethiopia, which is spoken in the Gurage Zone of the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region, north-east of Hosaena.
- also known as Marako, Maraqo
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Libido
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Architecture Xenoculture (2014)
by Juan Azulay, Benjamin Rice, Carlo Aiello
Libido is an essential part of a design process towards that instance when intuition and expression overlap, where vision...
is the aim, then desire/libido is the force (and a most ...
The Sacred Complex (1983)
On the Psychogenesis of Paradise Lost by William Kerrigan
Thereafter libido is an energy of infinite "wanting," our involuntary response to the absent and the lost, proceeding from object to object with the excess characteristic of wish — the force in us that will not welcome reality.42 Far down this line we ...
by Daniel Widlocher
Libido is a quantity of energy, qualitatively sexual, postulated by Freud as the substrate of the transformations of the sexual...
“Libido is an expression taken from the theory of the emotions.
by David P. Celani
Since libido is a function of the ego and aggression is a reaction to frustration or deprivation, there is no such thing as an “id.” 5. The ego, and therefore libido, is fundamentally object seeking. 6. The earliest and original form of anxiety, ...
Matricide in Language (2004)
Writing Theory in Kristeva and Woolf by Miglena Nikolchina
FEMALE LIBIDO Female libido is a Kristevan term that evolves out of Winnicott and Klein, that is subtended (like most things in Kristeva) by...
by Todd May
For Lyotard, libido is an anonymous energy that both constitutes that which is oppressive and offers an alternative to it. Libido differs from Deleuze...
First, as in Freud, the libido is a constitutive rather than a constituted force. Moreover, in its ...
A Philosophical Vocabulary by Mehdi Belhaj Kacem
Feminine libido is the infinite approximation of a forever lost identity of desire and jouissance. Masculine libido is the everrenewed repetition ofa finite algebra that leads from desire to jouissance which interrupts and empties out everything, ...
Board Buster Clinical Cases (2005)
Steps 2 and 3 by George Jesse Taylor
This particular patient actually seems to be improving in terms of depressive symptoms, but feels decreased libido is a sign of continued depression, when it is much more likely to be a side effect of the SSRI. Preserving sexual functioning in ...
The Lyotard Dictionary (2011)
by Stuart Sim
Libido is a primal process that cannot be reduced to the strictures of reason: it no more offers an organised structure for analysis than any other form of natural energy does. Trying to pin it down or rationalise it is a bit like trying to do the same ...
The Sorbonne Lectures 1949-1952 by Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Talia Welsh
The libido is not predestined; it does not have a set goal for now and always. Rather, the libido is an available force which enables the realization of various connections ...
by Ram Nath Sharma, S.S. Chandra, S.S. Chandra
Libido is the motivating force in human life. The Id Thus, according to Freud, man's unconscious is the store house of instinctive impulses, frustrated desires and repressed feelings. It is not in the contact of the environment. Freud calls it Id. In ...
Stone Child’s Mother (2012)
A Jungian Narrative Reflection on the Mother Archetype by Virginia Nemetz
Libido is a topic most often commandeered by sex therapists. To some extent this is natural. It is said by ancient yogis that life is a matter of birth, sex and death. That's it. Everything, apparently, can be narrowed down to these three areas of ...
Problems in Psychopathology (2013)
by T.W. Mitchell
Libido is the term used to denote the craving for satisfaction of the sexual instincts , just as we use the terms hunger and thirst to denote the cravings for satisfaction of the instincts of nutrition. It is the driving force behind sexual activities of every ...
A Gift for Sigmund Freud's 80th Birthday by Richard Sterba
In such incorporation, which replaces an object relation by identification, object- libido is transformed into narcissistic libido. Incorporation is always experienced as an Ll process, and oral libido takes part in it. Where incorporation through the ...
Dictionary of Psychotherapy (2014)
by Sue Walrond-Skinner
contrasts the sexual and the selfpreservative instincts, using theterm libido for the first. Lateron, libido isusedto describe both. In 1923, Freud suggested that the ego should beregarded asagreat reservoir ...
by Joseph Childers, Gary Hentzi
LIBIDO reforming existing structures so as to accommodate women than in dismantling these structures altogether, it is accused by radical feminists of not going far enough. See also RADICAL FEMINISM, SOCIALIST FEMINISM.
by Sherry Torkos
LOW LIBIDO Low libido is an absence or deficiency of sexual fantasy and desire for sexual activity. This is also referred to as...
There are many factors that affect one's libido—psychological, physical, medical, and even lifestyle. While this is a ...
by Henry Kellerman
OBJECT LIBIDO Libido (mental or sexual energy) invested in others (in objects). Refers to another person, about whom the subject is interested, in contrast to narcissistic libido where the subject is invested in the self. OBJECT LOSS The loss ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen M. Reevy
Since libido involves both pleasure seeking and love/attachment, the potential exists for both frustration of pleasure and psychological hurt, for example, through feeling rejected by a loved object. In the oral stage, for instance, the child may ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Libido
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Libido
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Feans
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Libido
A woman in thought gives you arousal.
You become sensational.
By kiss, embrace, erection, insertion
And emission, libido is released.
By fantasy in masturbation too,
The libido is released.
By monosexual, adultery is tamed.
18.04.2001, Pmdi (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about libido...
Scrabble value of L1I1B3I1D2O1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of LIBIDO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Libido!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Libido to see it in context!