On this page:
Libya, officially the State of Libya, is a country in the Maghreb region of North Africa bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, Egypt to the east, Sudan to the southeast, Chad and Niger to the south, and Algeria and Tunisia to the west. The three traditional parts of the country are Tripolitania, Fezzan and Cyrenaica. With an area of almost 1.8 million square kilometres, Libya is the fourth largest country in Africa, and is the 17th largest country in the world.
- also known as Libya Cumhuriyeti, Statul Libia, 利比亚, Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
- founded on (68 years ago)
- part of Africa, Greater Maghreb, Arab world
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- member of: Arab League = an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation; OPEC / Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries = an organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the production and sale of petroleum
- member: Libyan = a native or inhabitant of Libya
- read more about Libya (country)
Phrases with Libya
Phrases ending with the word Libya:
- Genus Libya
- Melanitis Libya
- Pholisora Libya
- capital of libya
- Xylophanes Libya
- Hesperopsis libya
- Tiariturris Libya
- Hesperopsis libya libya
- Species Melanitis Libya
- Species Pholisora Libya
- Species Xylophanes Libya
- species Hesperopsis libya
- Species Tiariturris Libya
- subspecies Hesperopsis libya libya
Other phrases containing the word Libya:
- Hesperopsis libya lena
- Hesperopsis libya joaquina
- Hesperopsis libya confertiblanca
- subspecies Hesperopsis libya lena
- subspecies Hesperopsis libya joaquina
- Subspecies Hesperopsis Libya Confertiblanca
View more phrases with the word Libya in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Libya
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard A. Lobban Jr., Christopher H. Dalton
INTRODUCTION Physically, Libya is a land of contrasts. The gorgeous waters of the coastal Mediterranean Sea have been the routes of maritime occupiers, and the vast interior sand seas have pro- vided routes for the trade that linked the ...
African Frontiers (2016)
Insurgency, Governance and Peacebuilding in Postcolonial States by John Idriss Lahai, Tanya Lyons
Libya is a vast and diverse ...
Early Libyan Christianity (2011)
Uncovering a North African Tradition by Thomas C. Oden
Since Libya is a part of Africa, it is pertinent to set forth clearly an uncomplicated geographical definition of Africa as a continent By “Africa” the ancient world meant simply the entire massive continent, mostly unknown to written sources at the ...
The Benghazi Report (2014)
Review of the Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Facilities in Benghazi, Libya, September 11-12, 2012 by Roger Stone, U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence
We have heard the excuse that these terrorists cannot be captured because Libya is a dangerous operating environment. Yet, the same Administration offering this excuse somehow managed to recently capture al-Qa'ida operative Abu Anas ...
Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, and the Trucial States, 1950-71 by Lecturer in International History Simon C Smith, Prof, Simon C. Smith
nevertheless, was quick to point out the differences between Libya and Kuwait: Libya is a huge empty country and the King was isolated at the top. Kuwait is a compact little state with a ...
Islam and the Arab Awakening (2012)
by Tariq Ramadan
Libya is a rich and strategic country. Foreign intervention is no accident. Who is going to control its wealth, how is it going to be used and/or divided among the Western transnational oil companies (instead of the Chinese government, which ...
International Human Rights and Its Impact on Libyan Law by Naeima Faraj A.A. Al-Hadad
libya is a country on the horizon of a new era; ...
by C. A. C. Sequeira, John B. Moffat
Libya is a country where solar energy is promising for the development of its remote and isolated regions. These regions are characterized by a low density of population and low energy needs. On the other hand, the abundant amount of solar ...
Blood Sun (2009)
by Tony Unger
Tripoli, Libya is an anachronism. An ancient city with a thousand stories to tell. A city that saw the worst of many wars, plagues, and violence of every kind. Beautiful palaces in one area and an open camel market not far away, the smell of ...
by John McHugo
Libya is a sparsely populated country where population centres are separated by immense expanses of desert and there are strong regional and tribal loyalties. Gaddafi's regime was largely overthrown by militias which came from different ...
Libyan Politics (1988)
Tribe and Revolution : an Account of the Zuwaya and Their Government by John Davis
Years of bitter war by a predominantly tribal society against Italian imperial power , and the slaughter of many thousands of Libyans by Mussolini's followers, left an unusually destructive colonial heritage. Libya is a country gradually formed in ...
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DAYS (2009)
START THE DAY WITH HISTORY by Steven Carol
Korea, South Africa, and Taiwan COUNTRIES THAT HAVE MADE EFFORTS TO DEVELOP OR ACQUIRE NUCLEAR WEAPONS Iran, Iraq, Libya , and Syria. Iraq's nuclear development program was set ...
Revised Full-Color Edition by Merrill C. Tenney
Libya and CUSH are also subordinate to Egypt ( Dan ...
by Irving Epstein
HEALTH Libya is well ahead of other African nations in its health sector. The government-funded children's hospital in Jalah is considered among the best on the continent. However, there is not any government program aimed at the health ...
by Marshall Cavendish Reference
LIBYA MALAYSIA GEOGRAPHY GEOGRAPHY Location Coastal North Africa, between Location Southeastern Asia on a peninsula Egypt and Tunisia south of Thailand, plus the northern Area 679,360 sq. miles third of the island of Borneo ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Libya
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Libya
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Sabratha, Libya
Roman remains at Sabratha, Libya.
Photo credit: Bryn Pinzgauer
- Roman theatre, Sabratha, Libya
Photo credit: bobrayner
- Libya - 5 Dinar note
Libyan currency - 5 dinar note
Photo credit: sludgegulper
- Libya: UK consular response
Members of the FCO Rapid Deployment Team (RDT) in Benghazi port
Photo credit: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Roman theatre, Sabratha, Libya
Photo credit: bobrayner
Videos about Libya
Click on an item to play that video:
- Libya -NATO meaning of NO-FLY-ZONE - Psyops transmitted by USAF-ec-130j- June-25-2011
Original NATO RADIO BROADCAST !!!
- The media isn't reporting the meaning behind Libya
- Libya demands US explanation on military raid in Tripoli
Libyan government has strongly condemned a recent military operation by the US Special Forces on its soil, describing it as an act of kidnapping. The US ...
- Newt Gingrich Libya Flip Flop Explanation Absurd, Conservative Matt Lewis Agrees
Matt Lewis, contributor to The Daily Caller, joins us to discuss Newt Gingrich's flip flopping on Libya. --On the Bonus Show Link between Facebook and ...
- Romney camp joins in calls for clear Libya explanation, says Obama officials giving mixed info
- Libya Meaning
Video shows what Libya means. A country in North Africa. Libya pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. Libya meaning. Powered ...
- Al Hunt Discusses Obama's Explanation of Libya Mission
June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Al Hunt, executive editor at Bloomberg News, talks about President Barack Obama's explanation of why he can continue the U.S. ...
- Phares on Sun News Network: Analysis of meaning of Sharia for Libya
- Amizagh look to regain language in Libya
A minority group in Libya, known as the Amizagh, was banned from practising its culture under former leader Muammar Gaddafi. Gaddafi outlawed the Amazigh ...
- Major STAND!! OFF!! in LIBYA 2.19.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Amazigh demand officialization of their language in Libya
Tripoli, Libya, Sept. 5, 2012 | Demonstration of Libyan Amazigh (Berber) activists in front of the UN offices in capital Tripoli demanding official recognition of their ...
- Libyan flag in Tamazight language curriculum (for the first grade) Libya.
- BBG Governor Ashe Critical of Weak Language on Libya Killings
Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) Governor Ambassador Victor Ashe was critical of the language used by the BBG executive staff in a public relations ...
- Berber in Libya demand rights & recognition of their language 2011
Libya, Zuwara, Dec. 31, 2011 | Al Jazeera English TV | Report.
- Libya - Cleverlearn English Language Institute
See also the pronunciation examples of Libya!
In Sign Language to NATO, NATO Crimes In Libya
VSMRK's account was closed recently.
Quotes about Libya
Scrabble value of L1I1B3Y4A1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine