The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ma:
On this page:
Ma is sometimes a misspelling of my.
The word ma is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ma
What does ma mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- ma: mas
- mA: -
- MA: -
- informal terms for a mother
- a master's degree in arts and sciences
- one thousandth of an ampere
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of mA: milliampere
- more generic term: current unit = a measure of the amount of electric charge flowing past a circuit point at a specific time
- part of: A / amp / ampere = the basic unit of electric current adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- a state in New England; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of MA: Bay State / Mass. / Massachusetts / Old Colony
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; New England = a region of northeastern United States comprising Maine and New Hampshire and Vermont and Massachusetts and Rhode Island and Connecticut
- capital of Massachusetts / Hub of the Universe / Bean Town / Beantown / Boston = state capital and largest city of Massachusetts
- Cambridge = a city in Massachusetts just to the north of Boston
- Concord = town in eastern Massachusetts near Boston where the first battle of the American Revolution was fought
- Gloucester = a town in northeastern Massachusetts on Cape Ann to the northeast of Boston
- Lexington = town in eastern Massachusetts near Boston where the first battle of the American Revolution was fought
- Medford = town in northeastern Massachusetts
- Pittsfield = a town in western Massachusetts
- Springfield = a city and manufacturing center in southwestern Massachusetts on the Connecticut River
- Worcester = an industrial and university city in central Massachusetts to the west of Boston
- Cape Ann = a Massachusetts peninsula to the north of Boston extending into the Atlantic Ocean
- Cape Cod = a Massachusetts peninsula to the south of Boston extending into the Atlantic
- Cape Cod Canal = a canal connecting Cape Cod Bay with Buzzards Bay
- Plymouth = a town in Massachusetts founded by Pilgrims in 1620
- Salem = a city in northeastern Massachusetts
- Williamstown = a town in northwestern Massachusetts
- Berkshire Hills / Berkshires = a low mountain range in western Massachusetts
- Charles River / Charles = a river in eastern Massachusetts that empties into Boston Harbor and that separates Cambridge from Boston
- Housatonic River / Housatonic = a river that rises in western Massachusetts and flows south through Connecticut to empty into Long Island Sound
- Merrimack River / Merrimack = a river that rises in south central New Hampshire and flows through Concord and Manchester into Massachusetts and empties into the Atlantic Ocean
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
Other definitions of ma
What does ma also mean?
- See May.
- [astronomy] milli-second of arc
- MA a.k.a. Massachusetts, officially the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States. It is bordered by Rhode Island and Connecticut to the south, New York to the west, and Vermont and New Hampshire to the north; at its east lies the Atlantic Ocean. Massachusetts is the 7th smallest, but the 14th most populous and the 3rd most densely populated of the 50 United States. Massachusetts features two separate metropolitan areas: Greater Boston in the east and the Springfield metropolitan area in the west. Approximately two-thirds of Massachusetts' population lives in Greater Boston. Generally the Greater Boston boundary is regarded as the Atlantic Ocean to the east and areas just north, west, and south of Interstate 495 to the west, north, and south. Western Massachusetts features one urban area - the Knowledge Corridor along the Connecticut River - and a mix of college towns and rural areas. Many of Massachusetts' towns, cities, and counties have names identical to ones in England. Massachusetts is the most populous of the six New England states and has the nation's sixth highest GDP per capita.
- read more about Massachusetts (state)
- Ma a.k.a. Morocco, officially the Kingdom of Morocco, is a country in the Maghreb region of North Africa. Geographically, Morocco is characterized by a rugged mountainous interior and large portions of desert. It is one of only three countries to have both Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines. The Arabic name al-Mamlakah al-Maghribiyah and Al-Maghrib are commonly used as alternate names.
- also known as Kingdom of Morocco, The Western Kingdom, The West, Regne del Marroc, Al-Magrib, Maroc, Marruecos
- founded on (59 years ago)
- part of Africa, Maghreb, Mahgrib
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- Casablanca = a port on the Atlantic and the largest city of Morocco
- El Aaium = a town in Morocco near the Atlantic coast
- Fes / Fez = a city in north central Morocco
- Marrakech / Marrakesh = a city in western Morocco
- Oujda = a city in northeastern Morocco near the Algerian border
- capital of Morocco / Rabat = the capital of Morocco
- Tangiers / Tangier = a city of northern Morocco at the west end of the Strait of Gibraltar
- Spanish Sahara / Western Sahara = an area in northwestern Africa with rich phosphate deposits
- Atlas Mountains = a mountain range in northern Africa between the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert
- Jebel Musa / Abila / Abyla = a promontory in northern Morocco opposite the Rock of Gibraltar
- member of: Arab League = an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation
- member: Moroccan = a native or inhabitant of Morocco
- read more about Morocco (country)
- Ma a.k.a. Madagascar, officially the Republic of Madagascar and previously known as the Malagasy Republic, is an island country in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Southeast Africa. The nation comprises the island of Madagascar, as well as numerous smaller peripheral islands. Following the prehistoric breakup of the supercontinent Gondwana, Madagascar split from India around 88 million years ago, allowing native plants and animals to evolve in relative isolation. Consequently, Madagascar is a biodiversity hotspot; over 90 percent of its wildlife is found nowhere else on Earth. The island's diverse ecosystems and unique wildlife are threatened by the encroachment of the rapidly growing human population and other environmental threats.
- MA is an administrative division.
- Ma a.k.a. Carole Lombard was an American film actress. She was particularly noted for her highly neurotic, energetic and often off-beat roles in the screwball comedies of the 1930s. She was the highest-paid star in Hollywood in the late 1930s.
- read more about Carole Lombard (actress)
- Ma a.k.a. Masahiro Tanaka is a Japanese professional baseball starting pitcher for the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball. From 2007 through 2013, he played for the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles in Nippon Professional Baseball's Pacific League.
Ma a.k.a. Malév Hungarian Airlines: Malév Ltd, which did business as Malév Hungarian Airlines, was the flag carrier and principal airline of Hungary between 1946 and 2012. It had its head office in Budapest, with its main operations at Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport. From there, the airline flew to 50 cities in 34 countries worldwide using a fleet of 22 aircraft. In its final years, Malév was a member of the Oneworld alliance, having joined 29 March 2007. On 3 February 2012, Malév stopped flying and on 14 February 2012 was declared insolvent and ordered liquidated by the Metropolitan Court of Budapest.
- also known as Malev Hungarian Airlines
- Ma a.k.a. Sylvia Fine, is a fictional character on the situation comedy, The Nanny. She was played by actress Renée Taylor.
- read more about Sylvia Fine
- Ma is a fictional character from the 2002 film The Little Chinese Seamstress.
- Ma is a fictional character from Room.
- Ma is a fictional character from the novel Shadow Dancer and the 2012 film with the same title.
- Ma is a fictional character from the 1984 film Shanghai Blues.
- Ma is a fictional character from the 1988 historical drama film Torn Allegiance.
- "Ma" is the sixth studio album by rock band Rare Earth, released in 1973.
- genre: Rock music
- released in (42 years ago)
- "Ma" is a Bengali song album of Anjan Dutt. This was Dutt's fifth solo music album.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "MA" is a musical album of Ariane Moffatt.
- released on
- "Ma" a.k.a. "...Ma": …Ma is the debut release by the Vile Imbeciles who are made up of ex-members of The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster and Neils Children.
- genre: Noise rock
- released on (8 years ago)
- "MA" is a musical album of Leo.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Ma" a.k.a. "Mâ" is a musical album of Laetitia Zonzambé.
- "Ma" is a composition.
- music by Norman Whitfield
"Ma" is a book written by Gaston-Paul Effa.
- language: French
- released in (18 years ago)
- MA a.k.a. Master of Arts: A Master of Arts from the Latin Magister Artium, is a type of master's degree awarded by universities in many countries. The M.A. is usually contrasted with the M.S. or M.Sc. degrees. Those admitted to the degree typically study English, history, geography, communication, or other of the humanities, philosophy, social sciences, fine arts or nursing, museum studies or theology. The degree can be conferred in respect of passing examinations, in respect of research, or a combination of the two.
- read more about Master of Arts
- Ma is a Japanese word which can be roughly translated as "gap", "space", "pause" or "the space between two structural parts." The spatial concept is experienced progressively through intervals of spatial designation. In Japanese, ma, the word for space, suggests interval. It is best described as a consciousness of place, not in the sense of an enclosed three-dimensional entity, but rather the simultaneous awareness of form and non-form deriving from an intensification of vision.
- Ma: ま, in hiragana, or マ in katakana, is one of the Japanese kana, which each represent one mora. The hiragana is made in three strokes, while the katakana in two. Both represent.
- Ma was a local goddess at Ma and a Phrygian alternative name for Cybele.
- Ma is a Sumerian word meaning "land" that in Sumerian mythology was also used to regard Primordial Land.
- Ma a.k.a. Master of Arts: The degree of Master of Arts in Scotland refers to an undergraduate academic degree in the arts, liberal arts, humanities or social sciences awarded by one of the ancient universities of Scotland – the University of St Andrews, the University of Glasgow, the University of Aberdeen, the University of Edinburgh and also by the University of Dundee. Heriot-Watt University also offers undergraduate MA programmes in certain subjects. MAs are also awarded, with "several material differences", by the other ancient universities in the British Isles, namely Oxford and Cambridge in England and Trinity College, Dublin, in Ireland. The Master of Arts degree in Scotland is thus not to be confused with that of Master of Arts from anywhere else in the British Isles or Europe. It is not a postgraduate Master's degree, but the equivalent to a Bachelor of Arts degree in the countries named above. The degree can either be completed as a Master of Arts with Honours in four years, or as a Master of Arts "ordinary" or "designated" degree in three years. For the postgraduate degree referred to in other places as "Master of Arts", Scottish universities usually award the degree of Master of Letters.
- also known as A.M.
- ma: .ma is the Internet country code top-level domain for Morocco. A local registrar with a local Moroccan company as administrative contact is needed to register an .ma or .co.ma domain name. Further restrictions are imposed on the registering of other second-level domains.
- also known as .ma
- official website: www.nic.ma
- Ma: The cuneiform ma sign, is found in both the 14th century BC Amarna letters and the Epic of Gilgamesh. In the Epic it is also used as the sumerogram MA,. The ma sign is often used at the end of words, besides its alphabetic usage inside words as syllabic ma, elsewhere for m, or a.
- Ma a.k.a. Maa Language is an human language.
- read more about Maa Language
- Ma: ꦩ is one of syllable in Javanese script that represent the sound /mɔ/, /ma/. It is transliterated to Latin as "ma", and sometimes in Indonesian orthography as "mo". It has another form, which is ◌꧀ꦩ, but represented by a single Unicode code point, U+A9A9.
- Ma is one of the most common Chinese family names. As of 2006, it ranks as the 14th most common Chinese surname in Mainland China and the most common surname within the Chinese Muslim community, specifically the Hui people, Dongxiang people, and Salar people. However, this surname should not be identified with the Korean surname 'Ma' which shares the same pronunciation with the Chinese 'Ma' but has its own distinct history.
Scrabble value of M3A1
The value of this 2-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of Ma to learn how to say it correctly!