On this page:
- Definition of the noun mainstream
- Definition of the adjective mainstream
- Phrases with Mainstream
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mainstream
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mainstream
- Photos about Mainstream
- Video language resources about Mainstream
- Quotes about Mainstream
- Scrabble value of M3A1I1N1S1T1R1E1A1M3
- Anagrams of MAINSTREAM
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mainstream
What does mainstream mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: mainstreams
- the prevailing current of thought
Alternative definition of the noun mainstream
- [usually, definite] That which is common; the norm.
Definition of the adjective mainstream
What does mainstream mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more mainstream / mainstreamer |
- Purchased, used or accepted broadly rather than by a tiny fraction of population or market; common, usual or conventional.
- coordinate terms: fringe
Mainstream were a British shoegazer band, briefly famous in the late 1990s. They were formed by Mewton, Hartnell and Neill. Later they were joined by Peter Mullaney and later still Mark James Aviss. After performing several successful gigs they attracted label interest. Immediately prior to signing with nude Peter Mullaney, for various reasons departed, later to be replaced with Greg Cook. Signed to Suede's label Nude Records in early 1995 and produced one album in 1998. The band comprised Anthony Neale, James Hartnell, Conrad Mewton, Greg Cook and Mark James Aviss.
- genres: Alternative rock, Shoegazing
- albums: "Step Right Up", "Mainstream", "Privilege EP", "Can Jam", "Hurricane"
- "Mainstream" is the third and final studio album released by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. It was produced by Ian Stanley and released by Capitol Records in the US and Polydor in the UK on 26 October 1987. It contained the hits "From the Hip", "My Bag", and "Jennifer She Said". Although the album reached number nine in the UK, it failed to chart in America and was not embraced by all critics: Mainstream is the only Lloyd Cole and the Commotions release not to sell at least 100,000 copies in the US.
- released on (28 years ago)
- "Mainstream" is the only album of the UK band Quiet Sun. The band split up in 1972, Manzanera to Roxy Music, MacCormick to Matching Mole, Hayward to This Heat and Jarrett began to teach mathematics.
- "Mainstream" is a CD released by the Fullerton College Jazz Band in 1994, it was critically acclaimed by Down Beat Magazine being given three and a half stars.
- "Mainstream" is a composition.
- "Mainstream" is a musical album of Gerry Mulligan.
- also known as Mainstream/Gerry Mulligan Sextet
- released on (60 years ago)
- "Mainstream" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Dominique A
- "Mainstream" is a musical album of Mainstream.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Mainstream" is a musical album of ChineseBlack.
- "Mainstream" is a composition.
- music by Henry VIII of England
"Mainstream" is a book by James Simmons.
- Mainstream was a science fiction fanzine edited by Jerry Kaufman and Suzanne Tompkins. It was nominated for the 1991 Hugo Award for Best Fanzine, losing to Lan's Lantern.
- Mainstream is a production company.
Phrases with Mainstream
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mainstream
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Urban Nightscapes (2003)
Youth Cultures, Pleasure Spaces and Corporate Power by Paul Chatterton, Robert Hollands
First, and foremost the commercial mainstream is a place of capital accumulation and only coincidently does it have anything to do with creativity, diversity and access. Hence it is a battleground for profit-hungry entertainment conglomerates ...
Economics as If All People Mattered by Lourdes Beneria, Günseli Berik, Maria Floro
The choices of each of them underlie the operation of markets, which for the mainstream is the key institution for the promotion of human well-being, understood in terms of consumption of goods and services. The discipline's defense of this ...
Club Cultures (1996)
Music, Media, and Subcultural Capital by Sarah Thornton
The mainstream is a trope which, once prised open, reveals the complex and cryptic relations between age and the social structure. The mainstream is the entity against which the majority of clubbers define themselves. Can the mainstream be ...
American Politics Today (2016)
by CTI Reviews
Mainstream is the common current thought of the majority. It includes all popular culture and media culture, typically disseminated by mass media. The opposite of the mainstream are subcultures, countercultures and cult followings.
Arresting Development (2008)
The power of knowledge for social change by Craig Johnson
Attheheartofthis mainstream is a wider trendof positivism, methodological individualism and formal modelling thathascometo dominate Americanpolitical science (a discipline that is home to leading figures in thefield, including Elinor Ostrom, ...
Through the Dark Forest (2013)
Transforming Your Life in the Face of Death by Carolyn Conger
The reason energy work has entered the mainstream is that no matter what we believe about it, anecdotal experience has shown that people benefit from receiving it. Whether it's spiritual energy, a balancing of the chakras, or merely a ...
American Frankenstein (2010)
How The United States Created A Monster! by KS Cramer
The worst part of America's newly found acceptance of minority participation in America's mainstream is the fact that the unprepared African American is being left out and replaced by workers from other nations in productive and meaningful ...
Issues, Terms, and Concepts by Lena E. Hall
Mainstream——111 distinctiveness, autonomy, and educational rights (Webster, 1997). The term macroculture is frequently favored over majority or dominant culture. The macroculture in the United States may be described as Anglo- Western ...
by William H. Brackney
MAINSTREAM BAPTIST NETWORK 9 361 spiritual decline in the BU, and somewhat as a successor to the Baptist Revival Fellowship, a group of pastors and educators (many of whom were associated with Spurgeon's College) took to ...
by Genie Gertz, Patrick Boudreault
Education Programs: K–12 Mainstream Programs Education Programs: K–12 Mainstream Programs Catherine Krammer...
Mainstream. Programs. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) sets forth that a continuum of placement ...
Encyclopedia of Journalism (2009)
by Christopher H. Sterling
Yet research shows that ordinary blog writers rarely challenge mainstream news media's narrow range of topics and sources. In much the ...
by Francis J. Turner
ethnocultural communities' services mainstream institutions delivered to each ethnocultural community. As in the past, ethnocultural communities continue to develop social services to meet objectives shared by many community members, ...
by Patrice Pavis
MAINSTREAM CORRIENTE (TEATRO, CULTURA), DOMINANTE Mainstream culture is the culture addressed to the general public. This Anglo-American term ' is used for a medium, a TV programme or a cultural product that aims to gain a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mainstream
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mainstream
Click on an item to view that photo:
Social Business function is recognized as mainstream like HR, production, finance, etc
Photo credit: Younomy
- Mainstream Groceries Vs. ALDI
The three bags on the left are from a chain of "mainstream" grocery markets called Sun Fresh: total cost = $105. The three bags on the right are from ALDI: $45.
Photo credit: timsamoff
- Mainstream Cormorants
Photo credit: Mind on Fire Photography
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Mainstream
Click on an item to play that video:
- Hipster Dice Mainstream Explanation
Explanation of the Component and rules of Hipster Dice.
- Abidjan's "Nouchi" ghetto dialect goes mainstream
"Nouchi" is a language born in the ghettos of Abidjan, both a lingo and a set of gestures all its own. Once the province of young urbanites, it has now climbed its ...
- Mainstream Meaning
Video shows what mainstream means. Used or accepted broadly rather than by a tiny fraction of a population or market.. Mainstream Meaning. How to ...
- PA Direct Democracy: BBC and mainstream conditioning has distorted the definition of Democracy
- Vocabulary - Mainstream - Migliora il tuo Inglese - Improve your English
- FAQ Definition Mainstream Retro Oldschool
- Pseudoskeptics Your bent definition of reality quite different to Mainstream Norms
- Teaching ESL Students in the Mainstream Classroom
It is vital for teachers to consider the language used in their subject area from an ESL learner's point of view. This informative program helps teachers ...
- Language translations 'Mainstream Interpreting' serving Chicago
- Differentiated Instruction for ESL Students in the College Mainstream
Dorit Sasson speaks at Atlantic Cape Community College on June 17, 2010 on what it means to differentiate instruction for ESL Students in the College ...
- Bangla language in the uk mainstream
- Vegan Language On Vegan Mainstream Blog This Week 0816
- ESL/Mainstream Collaboration
- ESL students in the Mainstream Classroom
- Diana Chen on Communication and language skills for mainstream practice
- Supporting ESL Students: 10 Tips For Mainstream Teachers
From the 199798 school year to the 200809 school year the amount of ESL learners enrolled in U.S. public schools increased from 3.5 million to 5.3 million a 51 ...
- Download Academic Success for English Language Learners: Strategies for K-12 Mainstream Teachers
Register to Browse more Ebooks...
See also the pronunciation examples of Mainstream!
Quotes about Mainstream
Scrabble value of M3A1I1N1S1T1R1E1A1M3
The value of this 10-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine