The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun massacre:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun massacre
- Definition of the verb massacre
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Massacre
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Massacre
- Photos about Massacre
- Video language resources about Massacre
- Sign language
- Quotes about Massacre
- Scrabble value of M3A1S1S1A1C3R1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun massacre
What does massacre mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: massacres
- the savage and excessive killing of many people
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of massacre: butchery / carnage / mass murder / slaughter
- more generic words: execution / murder / slaying = unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being
- more specific words: bloodletting / bloodbath / bloodshed / battue = indiscriminate slaughter
- Alamo = a siege and massacre at a mission in San Antonio in 1836
- Battle of the Little Bighorn / Battle of Little Bighorn / Custer's Last Stand / Little Bighorn = a battle in Montana near the Little Bighorn River between United States cavalry under Custer and several groups of Native Americans (1876); Custer was pursuing Sioux led by Sitting Bull
Alternative definition of the noun massacre
- The intentional killing of a considerable number of human beings, under circumstances of atrocity or cruelty, or contrary to the usages of civilized people.
- [obsolete] Murder.
- synonym: or much resistance
Definition of the verb massacre
What does massacre mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: massacred | massacring | massacres
- kill a large number of people indiscriminately
- examples: The Hutus massacred the Tutsis in Rwanda | They want to massacre the prisoners
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Brutus murdered Julius Cesar [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Caesar killed Brutus with a knife
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of massacre: mow down / slaughter
- more generic word: kill = cause to die
Alternative definition of the verb massacre
- [transitive] To kill in considerable numbers where much resistance can not be made; to kill with indiscriminate violence, without necessity, and contrary to the usages of nations; to butcher; to slaughter - limited to the killing of human beings.
- "Massacre" is a 1934 drama film directed by Alan Crosland.
- "Massacre" is a film, directed by Michael Chu.
- "Massacre" is a film, directed by Louis Eugene King and written by D.D. Beauchamp, based on a story by Fred Freiberger & William Tunberg.
- producer: Robert L. Lippert Jr.
- music by Gonzalo Curiel
- read more about Massacre (film)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Massacre
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Massacre at Sand Creek (2016)
How Methodists Were Involved in an American Tragedy by Gary L. Roberts, General Commission on Archives and History
FOR THE VAST MAJORITY of Methodists, and of all who share the EuroAmerican tradition, the Sand Creek Massacre is a historical tragedy from the distant past, an unfortunate reminder of a dark side of American history best forgotten or ...
Psychology, Abnormal psychology by CTI Reviews
The massacre is the deadliest shooting incident by a single gunman in U.S. history. Massacre: A massacre is an incident where some group is killed by another, and the perpetrating party are perceived to be in total control of force while the ...
by Cram101 Textbook Reviews
Massacre: A massacre is an incident where some group is killed by another, and the perpetrating party are perceived to be in total control of force while the victimized party is perceived to be helpless and/or innocent with regard to any ...
Which Way to the Wild West? (2010)
Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About Westward Expansion by Steve Sheinkin
But the Whitman massacre is an important story because it shows how tense things could get when large numbers of settlers started moving onto Native American lands. And it shows just how quickly those tensions could explode into violence ...
Murder State (2012)
California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873 by Brendan C. Lindsay
part 1 Imagining Genocide Introduction The most general condition for guilt-free massacre is the Part 1. Imagining Genocide.
by Victor Buchli, Gavin Lucas
The Ludlow massacre is the most violent and the best-known event of the 1913- 1914 Colorado Coal Field War, but its significance goes far beyond this struggle. The killing of women and children at Ludlow outraged the American public and ...
El Narco (2011)
Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency by Ioan Grillo
The San Fernando massacre is a landmark in the Mexican Drug War. It surely woke up anyone who still doubted the existence of a serious armed conflict south of the Rio Grande. But for those following the mass attacks on migrants, it was a ...
Encyclopedia of Disasters (2007)
Environmental Catastrophes and Human Tragedies by Angus Macleod Gunn
Tiananmen Square, China, massacre June 4, 1989 A nonviolent student protest is crushed by Communist authorities Thousands were killed and thousands of others wounded Tiananmen Square, meaning "Gate of Heavenly Peace" refers to a ...
by Jerry Keenan
By strict definition, massacre refers to wanton, indiscriminate killing or slaughtering of unarmed individuals, usually noncombat- ants. The term has, however, often been applied indiscriminately to any victory in battle where there were no ...
by Tony Jaques
Such events — with heavy losses inflicted on an ill-armed or even unarmed group — include the Whitman Massacre (1847), which triggered the Cayuse War; the Jamestown Massacre (1622), which began the Powhatan War; the Yellow Creek ...
by R. C. S. Trahair, Robert L. Miller
KATYN MASSACRE (1940–1990). The Katyn Massacre ...
by Mitchell Rolls, Murray Johnson
CONISTON MASSACRE • 51 where the unemployment rate was 7 percent or higher. Then, on 23 July 2007, the government announced that the CDEP program would be phased out entirely in the Northern Territory as a result of the ...
by Jacques Fomerand
SABRA AND SHATILA MASSACRE (1982). Large-scale killing of Palestinian and Lebanese civilians carried out by Christian Lebanese militias in refugee camps surrounded by Israeli forces in the midst of the Lebanese civil war. The exact ...
by Walter C. Rucker, James N. Upton
Massacre of 1968 The Orangeburg ...
The Mafia Encyclopedia (2005)
by Carl Sifakis
VALENTINE'S Day Massacre: Capone mass killings At first Al Capone probably regarded the St. Valentine's Day Massacre of February 14, 1929, a monumental success, although the main target, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Massacre
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Massacre
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: GalaReiser//FotorockG
Photo credit: Dave McLear
Photo credit: Joe Miranda
- Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall
Images from the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall in China.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall
The record files at the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall in China.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Boston Massacre Memorial
Photo credit: rvr
Photo credit: calculat0r
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Massacre
Click on an item to play that video:
- Massacre Meaning
Video shows what massacre means. The intentional killing of a considerable number of human beings, under circumstances of atrocity or cruelty, or contrary to ...
- Context and Meaning of the Newtown Massacre Richard D.Wolff, H.Fraad - 05 Jan. 2013 - Audio-Podcast
Richard Wolff and Dr. Harriet Fraad. Published at rdwolff.com on January 5, 2013 This conversation seeks to explore some relatively ignored economic, ...
- Valentine's Day Massacre Event 1 Description
- BEYBLADE BATTLE ROYAL-ten way massacre CHECK DESCRIPTION
View more videos about Massacre Chaser.
See also the pronunciation examples of Massacre!
Hollyoaks sign language massacre
Degree show exhibition piece.
Quotes about Massacre
Scrabble value of M3A1S1S1A1C3R1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Massacre to see it in context!