On this page:
- Melbourne is the capital and most populous city in the state of Victoria, and the second most populous city in Australia. The name "Melbourne" refers to an urban agglomeration area spanning 9,900 km² that comprises the greater metropolis – as well as being a common name for its metropolitan hub, the Melbourne City Centre. It is a leading financial centre in Australia, as well as the Asia-Pacific region, and has been ranked the world's most livable city since 2011, according the Economist Intelligence Unit. In 2013 the EIU also ranked Melbourne the fourth most expensive city in the world, tying with Oslo, Norway. Melbourne is rated highly in the areas of education, entertainment, healthcare, research and development, tourism and sports.
- Melbourne is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 76,068. The municipal area is the second largest by size and by population in the county. Melbourne is a principal city of the Palm Bay – Melbourne – Titusville, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area. In 1969 the city was expanded by merging with nearby Eau Gallie.
- Melbourne is a city in Izard County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 1,673 at the 2000 census. The town is the county seat of Izard County, and home to the main campus of Ozarka College.
- Melbourne is a former market town in South Derbyshire, England. It is about 8 miles south of Derby, 8 miles north of Swadlincote and 2 miles from the River Trent. In 1837 a then tiny settlement in Australia was named after William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, Queen Victoria's first Prime Minister, and thus indirectly takes its name from the village.
- Melbourne is a city in Marshall County, Iowa, United States. The population was 830 at the 2010 census.
- Melbourne is a 6th-class city along the south bank of the Ohio River in Campbell County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 401 at the 2010 census. St. Anne Convent is located in Melbourne; scenes from the movie Rain Man were filmed there.
- Melbourne a.k.a. Melbourne, California: Melbourne is an unincorporated community in Mendocino County, California. It is located 3.5 miles west-northwest of Comptche, at an elevation of 167 feet.
- read more about Melbourne, California
There are other places with in their name, like East Melbourne, Melbourne Park, Port Melbourne, West Melbourne, Melbourne Beach, Melbourne's Gpo, North Melbourne, South Melbourne, Melbourne Museum, Ridley Melbourne, Melbourne Village, Port of Melbourne, Old Melbourne Gaol, Footscray Melbourne, Melbourne High School, Melbourne Polytechnic, South Melbourne College, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- "Melbourne" is the second single by The Whitlams from their breakthrough album, Eternal Nightcap. It was released on 27 January 1998. The song peaked at #70 on the Australian ARIA singles chart. It was also included on The Whitlams' best-of album, Truth, Beauty and a Picture of You. A music video edit of this song is shorter and features more strings. This mix was included on the compilation album. Melbourne was also performed live with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra in September 2007. Also, on the single, an earlier version of the song "400 Miles from Darwin" was included, which was later re-recorded for their 1999 album, Love This City. The demo was also included on the 2002 limited edition album, Rarities: 1992–2003.
- "Melbourne" is a compilation album by the Models, recorded in the early 1980s and released in 2001. The album was distributed by Shock Records.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Melbourne" is a musical album of Jackson Scott.
- released on
- "Melbourne" is a musical single of The Whitlams.
- released on (18 years ago)
"Melbourne" is a film, directed by Nima Javidi.
- country: Iran
- language: Persian Language
- genre: Drama film
- released in
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Melbourne
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Roff Martin Smith
Main Yarra Trail Melbourne is a bicycle-friendly city, with an extensive network offlatbicyclepaths to take an inquisitive cyclist through parklands, past gritty inner- city streetscapes, and along the breezy foreshore of Port Phillip Bay. One of the ...
by Marie PLANCHAT
Melbourne is a great place for going out because it has a lot of good restaurants and cafes. If you start you're Australian adventure there, and look for a job, having so many things to do can be a good thing because you'll never be at a loss, but ...
The Land Of Plenty (2008)
Australia In The 2000s by Mark Davis
Melbourne is a city of reserve. It imagines itself as Australia's premiere city, a status it hangs onto desperately even though no- one else cares. The paradox of Melbourne is that during the harsh economic reforms of the Jeff Kennett era, ...
Geographies of Disability (2002)
by Brendan Gleeson
and second, because Melbourne is a worthy exemplar of the industrial city (Davison, 1978). It may help here to expand a little upon the ...
Fluid City (2013)
Transforming Melbourne's Urban Waterfront by Kim Dovey
Melbourne is an edgy city in several senses: a city on the edge of a self-centred global 'empire'; a city uncertain of itself and therefore productively ...
Making and Using the Urban Environment by Nigel Bertram
We can talk about groups on many different scales; however, what we find in Melbourne is that they are generally quite small. One idea never lasts too long. Regardless of the real historical and political basis behind this condition, the ...
Framing Places (1999)
Mediating Power in Built Form by Kim Dovey
Melbourne is a city of 3 million people, capital of the state of Victoria, ...
The Rough Guide to Melbourne (2009)
by Rough Guides
Melbourne is a melting pot of cultures, a fact reflected vividly in its restaurants, cafés, bistros and bars. Fashionable, eclectic and eccentric, the city's dining spots offer a dizzying spread of the world's great cuisines. In the city, you can settle into ...
Silent Death (2011)
The Killing of Julie Ramage by Karen Kissane
T WAS the 'Melbourne is a village' factor thatfirstdrew The Age newspaper into the story. One of the women at Christine Howgate's meeting is the wife of an Age journalist. The journalist passed on to an Age editor a moving account of Julie's ...
Environmental Impact Statement
Melbourne is an almost perfect low-angle volcanic cone rising to 2.732 meters above sea level. showing only slight dissection and little or no glacial erosion. Many smaller basaltic cones and mounds occur near the base and on the flanks ...
Kennedy's Colonial Travel (2011)
A Narrative of a Four Years' Tour Through Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Etc. by David Kennedy, Jr
Melbourne is a city popularly supposed to be wholly given ...
Peter Weir (2014)
Interviews by John C. Tibbetts
Melbourne is an hour-and-a-half further south by plane (for the curious, Hanging Rock is located near Melbourne). From Manly, Peter's trajectory includes Vaucluse, an eastern suburb of Sydney, located on the South Head Peninsula; the ...
Big Boys Don't Cry (2017)
An Autobiography by Dr. Willie McCarney by Willie McCarney
Melbourne is a beautiful city. We spent as much time as we could bird watching in the Royal Botanic Gardens, went to Phillip Island to see the Penguin Parade, visited Warrook Cattle Farm where we got close up to Kangaroos and the Koala ...
by John Devaney
Cook would go on to amass a VFA career record of 1,364 goals in 305 games with three clubs (Port Melbourne, Yarraville and Moorabbin). Most of the post- match headlines referred to the fisticuffs rather than the football, however, which was ...
by John Devaney
South Gawler-South Melbourne Districts Light and Gawler Football Association which came about when the GFA amalgamated with the Barossa and Light Football Association. To date, South Gawler has won three senior grade premierships ...
by Norman Abjorensen, James C. Docherty
in Melbourne in 1922, quickly becoming a popular spread for sandwiches, toast, and crackers, as well as a filling for pastries and a soup flavor enhancer. Callister's employer ...
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1920)
(via Melbourne) Roma ueensland..... (via Brisbane) Maitland, New South Wales — St. Kil a, Victoria . (via Melbourne) (via Sydney) Manau, Samoa.
(via Melbourne Port Walcott, Western Australia— (via Fremantle) Sale, Victoria.
Asia/Pacific by Don Rubin, Chua Soo Pong, Ravi Chaturvedi
Melbourne Theatre Company's 1973 production of Louis Esson's The Time Is Not Yet Ripe, directed by Malcolm...
Haydn's Dictionary of Dates (1871)
Relating to All Ages and Nations, for Universal Reference by Joseph Haydn
MELBOURNE (Australia), capital of Victoria (which see). It was laid out as a town by orders of sir K. Bourke, in April, 1837. The first land sale took place in June, and speculation continued till it caused wide-spread insolvency in 1841-2. Made a ...
Chambers's Encyclopaedia (1901)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge
Melbourne possesses an excellent and well-appointed public library of about 200,000 vols., and associated with it on the same reserve are a national art gallery and a technological museum. The three institutions are governed by a body of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Melbourne
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Melbourne
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: _Virdi_
Photo credit: Joe Gatling
Photo credit: steve-uk
Photo credit: steve-uk
Photo credit: Rob'nDasha
Photo credit: Easternblot
Photo credit: steve-uk
Photo credit: cofiem
Photo credit: steve-uk
Photo credit: Wombok
Photo credit: Corpuzzle
Photo credit: TripNotice.com
Photo credit: HerryLawford
Photo credit: steve-uk
Photo credit: _TC Photography_
Photo credit: bkbiggs
Photo credit: cafuego
Along yarra river, at Crown
Photo credit: ryanologies
Photo credit: 3B's
- Melbourne wandelust
Photo credit: Bạch Hồ
Videos about Melbourne
Click on an item to play that video:
- Melbourne Meaning
Video shows what Melbourne means. State capital of Victoria (Australia).. A Georgian market town, in Derbyshire, located in the East Midlands of the United ...
- Master Chef Selva Manivel (Melbourne) - Chicken Biriyani -Step by step explanation.
Master Chef explains about making chicken biriyani in a easy step by step process.
- Anti-wrinkle injections Melbourne - detailed explanation
Dr. Gavin Chan talks about anti-wrinkle injections, the procedure, and possible side effects.
- Hayley talking about Melbourne / Meaning of 'Where The Lines Overlap' [HD] - Melbourne, 13/10/10
- Dentist in Melbourne Explanation of Cap in Dentistry
- Dialect Meme - Melbourne, Australia
The dialect meme (...
- Regional Dialect Meme - Melbourne, Australia
Regional Dialect Meme - recorded 19/02/2012. 29 year old female, lived in Australia since birth, born to Australian parents. Lived in Camden, NSW and ...
- The Shins - New Slang (Live at Festival Hall, Melbourne)
Performed at Festival Hall in Melbourne on July 23rd, 2012.
- "Yea yea" Lcridd's photos around Melbourne, Australia (slang australia bogens)
- The Shins, New Slang, Festival Hall, Melbourne, 23 July 2012
- The Shins "New Slang" LIVE Melbourne
- Language Schools in Melbourne and Sydney
- Melbourne Training Associates ESL Lesson Example - Barbara
Here Barbara is teaching the upper-intermediate group on a CELTA course. She is checking that students understand the structures 'get used to' and 'used to'.
- Language School Melbourne
An example of the activities in a childrens language class at Language Champs.
- Melbourne Brunswick Sinhala Language School Anual Concert-2013 Highlights.
- Language Barrier Close Call - Heavy Morning Runway 34 Ops at Melbourne - YMML
Crisis averted due to miscommunication from Garuda Indonesia crew as Tower instructs immediate takeoff as Singapore 777 is on short finals for runway 34.
- Language Perfect World Championships Launch 2013 Melbourne - Jean Lean
- Melbourne Polytechnic ESL Certificate II Commercial Cookery
"Note: this video references Melbourne Polytechnic's history with Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE. Melbourne Polytechnic has been delivering vocational ...
- TALL CASTLES | TIC TIC II Melbourne (CHECK DESCRIPTION BAR)
- Melbourne Brunswick Sinhala Language School Anual Concert 2012 Highlights
Brunswick Sinhala Language School presents thier 20th anniversary school concert, on the 16th of September 2012. This was highlights from the Sri Lanka ...
- Melbourne Heart language lessons
- FULL ON FERRY MELBOURNE 2012 - Language - Porter Robinson
- Melbourne Language Centre OET preparation course stundent's testimonial(Izumi)
Izumi's interview in Melbourne!
- Above & Beyond 2013 MELBOURNE playing PORTER ROBINSON LANGUAGE
- Afghan Language School Melbourne
sutara TV on channel 31.
- Australia Day Parade Melbourne 2010 04 Say Australia Day in your language
- Melbourne Brunswick Sinhala Language School Olu Pipiela
See also the pronunciation examples of Melbourne!
Quotes about Melbourne
Scrabble value of M3E1L1B3O1U1R1N1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Melbourne to see it in context!