On this page:
- Definition of the noun merle
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Merle
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Merle
- Photos about Merle
- Video language resources about Merle
- Quotes about Merle
- Scrabble value of M3E1R1L1E1
- Anagrams of MERLE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun merle
What does merle mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: merles
- common black European thrush
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- alternative spelling: merl
- scientific name: Turdus merula
- synonyms of merle: blackbird / European blackbird / ousel / ouzel
- more generic word: thrush = songbirds characteristically having brownish upper plumage with a spotted breast
- member of: genus Turdus / Turdus = type genus of the Turdidae
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun merle
- The European blackbird Turdus merula; any blackbird.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1999 film eXistenZ.
- Merle is a fictional character from 2012 film The Sapphires.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1996 television series The Vision of Escaflowne.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1934 comedy film By Your Leave.
- Merle is a fictional character from the film Sex Tax: Based on a True Story.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1967 drama film Up the Down Staircase.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1947 musical film This Time for Keeps.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1977 film Pete's Dragon.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 1986 film Hoosiers.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 2011 film A Family of Three.
- Merle is a fictional character in the 2013 film Halbschatten.
- Merle is a fictional character from the 2013 film Joe.
- Merle is a fictional film character.
"Merle" is a short film.
- country: Netherlands
Who is Merle?
Merle a.k.a. Merle Kass Levin was the wife of Max Raab.
- read more about Merle Kass Levin
Merle is a pattern in a dog's coat, though is commonly incorrectly referred to as a colour. The merle gene creates mottled patches of color in a solid or piebald coat, blue or odd-colored eyes, and can affect skin pigment as well. Health issues are more typical and more severe when two merles are bred together, so it is recommended that a merle be bred to a dog with a solid coat color only.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Merle
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Merle is a descendant of the celebrated D'Au- bigne of ...
Reports from Her Majesty's Consuls on the Manufactures, Commerce, &c. of Their Consular Districts (1877)
by Great Britain. Foreign Office
Apdte defoie de merle is a great delicacy. Mineral springs abound in Corsica, many of them are most efficacious in cases of rheumatism. Unfortunately the establishments connected with tbein are wanting in the simplest comforts and are very ...
by Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons
Apdte defoie de merle is a great delicacy. Mineral springs abound in Corsica, many of them are most efficacious in cases of rheumatism. Unfortunately the establishments connected with them are wanting m the simplest comforts and are very ...
by Charlotte Mary Yonge
de Nid de Merle is a prisoner and dying, ...
by James Coats
sing at all, whereas it is the Blackbird that sings so as above mentions, and is in Latin call'd Merula; besides that the French call this Martlet, Merlette ; now Merle is a Blackbird, and Merlette seems to be only the Diminutive of it, that is, a little';.
With an Introductory Chapter on the Poetry, Humour, and Literary History of the Scottish Language and an Appendix of Scottish Proverbs by Charles Mackay
Merle, the blackbird. The Scottish, which is also the French, name for this delightful songster is far more poetical and distinctive than the prosaic " blackbird " of modern English — a name which might with as much propriety be applied to the ...
by Edward M. Gilbert, Jr, Patricia H. Gilbert
Merle. Merle isa patternof irregular dark blotches against a lighterbackground ofthe same general basic pigment.Merle isalsocalled dappling and ischaracterized bydarker blotches ona lighter background of the same pigment, forexample red ...
by Grace C. Keroher
Merle Formation Paleocene: Central California. R. M. Kleinpell, D. W. Weaver, and D. P. Doerner, 1967, Soc. Econ. Paleontologists and Mineralogists, Pacific Sec.
by Anthony Lawson Mayhew, Walter William Skeat
Merle, sb, blackbird, S3, ND.—OF. merle (Cotg.); Lat. merula. Merling, sb, the whiting, S2, Manip., Cotg.; merlynge, Prompt.—OF. merlan (Cotg. ) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Merle
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Merle
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Naje tophe
Here it's for the details !
Photo credit: Melle plante
Photo credit: abbamouse
O cargueiro encalhado
Photo credit: Hugo Gamelas
Photo credit: L'Teigneux
- Un Merle.
Photo credit: GIPE25
- Pech Merle
Photo credit: Bennyboymothman
- Un Merle.
Photo credit: GIPE25
- Merle fauve
Photo credit: elisabethtonglet
- Australian Shepherd Red Merle Morgan
Photo credit: Ted Van Pelt
- Merle brindille
Photo credit: missbutterflies
View more pictures about Blue Merle.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Merle
Click on an item to play that video:
- Merle Meaning
Video shows what Merle means. of origin.. transferred from the surname.. Merle Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Merle.
- Merle Meaning
Video shows what merle means. The , Turdus merula.. Any blackbird.. merle pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. merle ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Merle!
Quotes about Merle
Scrabble value of M3E1R1L1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MERLE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Merle!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Merle to see it in context!