Moth appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Now do I report "Sea Moth" to Maestro, period? Won.
- Won’t I move to morph to mate lots to let a moth promote vomit now?
- To lap a moth sadist, I bet I loosen a vane’s oolite bits I dash to map a lot.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun moth
- Definition of the verb moth
- Phrases with Moth
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Moth
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Moth
- Photos about Moth
- Video language resources about Moth
- Quotes about Moth
- Scrabble value of M3O1T1H4
- Anagrams of MOTH
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun moth
What does moth mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: moths
- typically crepuscular or nocturnal insect having a stout body and feathery or hairlike antennae
- example: This species of moth has evolved an ingenious camouflage for blending into its surroundings.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: lepidopteran / lepidopteron / lepidopterous insect = insect that in the adult state has four wings more or less covered with tiny scales
- more specific terms:
- moth miller / miller = any of various moths that have powdery wings
- tortricid moth / tortricid = any of numerous small moths having lightly fringed wings
- tussock moth / lymantriid = dull-colored moth whose larvae have tufts of hair on the body and feed on the leaves of many deciduous trees
- geometrid moth / geometrid = slender-bodied broad-winged moth whose larvae are called measuring worms
- pyralid moth / pyralid = usually tropical slender-bodied long-legged moth whose larvae are crop pests
- tineoid moth / tineoid = small dull-colored moth with chewing mouthparts
- gelechiid moth / gelechiid = small slender-winged moths whose larvae are agricultural pests
- noctuid moth / owlet moth / noctuid = usually dull-colored medium-sized nocturnal moth
- hummingbird moth / sphinx moth / hawk moth / hawkmoth / sphingid = any of various moths with long narrow forewings capable of powerful flight and hovering over flowers to feed
- bombycid moth / silkworm moth / bombycid = moderate-sized Asiatic moth whose larvae feed on mulberry leaves and produce silk
- saturniid moth / saturniid = large brightly colored and usually tropical moth
- arctiid moth / arctiid = stout-bodied broad-winged moth with conspicuously striped or spotted wings
- lasiocampid moth / lasiocampid = medium-sized stout-bodied neutral-colored moths with comb-like antennae
- tent-caterpillar moth / Malacosoma americana = moth whose larvae are tent caterpillars
Alternative definition of the noun moth
- A usually nocturnal insect of the order Lepidoptera, distinguished from butterflies by feather-like antennae.
- synonym: lep
- The plant Vigna aconitifolia, known as moth bean.
Definition of the verb moth
What does moth mean as a doing word?
- [intransitive] To hunt for moths.
Moth is a U.S. alternative rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio formed in 1989. The band has released five albums including a major label release on Virgin Records. They have done live performances on The Late Late Show, AOL, and Mancow's Morning Madhouse, numerous national tours and a UK tour. They have received critical acclaim from Rolling Stone, Blender, Spin, Billboard, Alternative Press, Transworld, Stuff, CMJ, Guitar World, The New York Times, and Los Angeles Times.
- genres: Power pop, Alternative rock, Indie rock, Garage rock, Post-punk revival
- albums: "Provisions, Fiction and Gear", "Immune to Gravity", "Drop Deaf", "Like a Butterfly 'cept Different"
- official website: www.myspace.com/moth
- "Moth" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Moth" is a musical single of Jaytech & James Grant & Jaytech.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Moth" is a composition.
- "Moth" is a musical album of Mick Turner.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Moth" is a musical album of Exlovers.
- released on
"Moth" is an award-nominated book by James Sallis.
- genres: Fiction, True crime, Mystery, Suspense
- subjects: Police, Louisiana
- award: - Shamus Award for Best P. I. Hardcover Novel nomination for James Sallis
- "MOTH" is a short film, directed by O. T. Fagbenle.
- also known as Man Of The House
- country: United Kingdom
- genre: Horror
- "Moth" is a 2011 short animation film directed by Mu Xi.
- country: China
- language: English Language
- genres: Experimental film, Animation
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Moth" is a 2010 short film written by Hilton Carter and Evan Guidera and directed by Hilton Carter.
- also known as USA
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
The Moth Class is the name for a small development class of sailing dinghy. Originally a cheap home built sailing boat designed to plane, now it is an expensive largely commercially produced boat designed to hydroplane on foils. Many of the older design Moths still exist and are fun recreational boats but far slower.
Phrases with Moth
Phrases starting with the word Moth:
Phrases ending with the word Moth:
- io moth
- bee moth
- fig moth
- Hag Moth
- Koa Moth
- Nun Moth
- wax moth
- hawk moth
- Leek moth
- luna moth
- Wine Moth
- atlas moth
- Bella Moth
- cacao moth
- gipsy moth
- grain moth
- gypsy moth
- Ilima Moth
View more phrases with the word Moth in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Moth
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Cyclopaedia of Knowledge and General Information
The Goat Moth is a common insect in England. It measures...
Identification and Control by PT Bailey
Yellow peach moth is a rare late-season pest of cotton in coastal Qld. It has not been recorded from cotton in NSW. Eggs are laid on ...
by Michael H. Gerardi, James K. Grimm
The gypsy moth is an insect that illustrates complete or complex metamorphosis and is listed with those insects referred to as Holometabola. The life history of the insect is divided into four distinct stages : (1) the egg stage; (2) the larva or ...
Application and Evaluation of Pathogens for Control of Insects and other Invertebrate Pests by Lawrence A. Lacey, Harry K. Kaya
However, Indianmeal moth is the most widely distributed of all moths infesting stored foods.
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
The sea moth looks a lot like the pipefish and the seahorses (both discussed elsewhere in the encyclopedia), except that it has large, winglike pectoral fins. However, it is entirely unrelated to these other fish. Sea moths are usually about 5 ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
CLOTHES MOTH Primarily an inshore species, the coalfish is usually encountered in. COMMON. CLOTHES. MOTH. phylum Arthropoda class Insecta order Lepidoptera family Tineidae genus and species Tineola bisselliella ALTERNATIVE ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
Mixtures of chemical insecticides, or chemicals and micro- bials, are often recommended for diamondback moth control. This is due partly to the widespread occurrence of resistance, but also because pest complexes often plague crucifer ...
a reference system of commercial horticulture, covering the practical and scientific phases of horticulture, with special reference to fruits and vegetables by William Worthington
Once it gains a foothold the codling moth will thrive wherever the apple can be grown successfully. We do not wish to be understood as arguing that the codling moth will become equally destructive in all localities, or that its prevalence is ...
by Isaac Kaufman Funk
Scalloped Oak Moth (Crocallis Elinguaria). Death's Head Moth (Acherontia Atropos). Treble Bar Moth (Anaitis Plagiata). Clouded Yellow (Colias Edusa). Brimstone (Gonopteryx Rhamni). Pale Clouded Yellow (Colias Hyale). Small Ringlet ...
Encyclopedia of Insects (2009)
by Vincent H. Resh, Ring T. Cardé
Codling moth acquired its name because of its attacks on a greenish, elongated English cooking apple referred to as a “codling ” apple. The codling moth was noted to be a pest in Europe as early ...
The Encyclopedia of Animals (2004)
A Complete Visual Guide by Fred Cooke
pine shoot moth Rhyaooma buoliana, family Tortncidae Larvae of European pine shoot moth feed on pine shoots, causing considerable damage in pine forests Bird-cherry ermine Vponomeufa evonymella, family Yponomeutidae Meal moth ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Moth
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Moth
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: grassrootsgroundswell
Photo credit: foilman
A moth resting on an oak.
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
Photo credit: Vladimir Istomin
A moth on the window back in Germany.
Photo credit: christopherdown
6-1-14 Porch Light
Photo credit: Intrinsic3141
Photo credit: slgckgc
Photo credit: Oli R
Photo credit: Charles Haynes
Photo credit: MatHampson
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: karenandbrademerson
Photo credit: /mark/
Sony Nex 5r with Micro Nikkor 85/3.5
Cockrell Butterfly Center / Houston Museum of Natural Science
Photo credit: BPPrice
Photo credit: Sam Bald
Photo credit: kmague
- ... moth
Photo credit: Dinesh Valke
- Moth Antennas
Photo credit: Mark Turnauckas
- Sycamore Moth caterpillar
Photo credit: MICOLO J Thanx
View more pictures about Atlas Moth.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Moth
Click on an item to play that video:
- Moth Meaning
Video shows what moth means. A usually nocturnal insect of the order Lepidoptera, distinguished from butterflies by feather-like antennae.. Anything that ...
- Plume moth Meaning
Video shows what plume moth means. Any one of numerous small, slender moths, belonging to the family , most of which have wings deeply divided into two or ...
- Double meaning of courtship song in a moth
Male moth's song has double meaning...
- Nun moth Meaning
Video shows what nun moth means. black arched moth. Nun moth Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say nun moth. Powered by ...
- V moth Meaning
Video shows what V moth means. A common grey European moth with a V-shaped spot of dark brown on each forewing.. V moth Meaning. How to pronounce ...
View more videos about Io Moth, Hawk Moth, Leek moth, Luna Moth, Wine Moth, Atlas Moth, Gypsy Moth, Owlet Moth, Snout Moth, Tiger Moth, Lappet Moth, Miller Moth, Rabbit Moth, Clothes Moth, Codling Moth, Emperor Moth, Geometer moth, November moth, Geometrid Moth, Black-Arched Moth, Royal Walnut Moth, and Mediterranean flour moth.
See also the pronunciation examples of Moth!
Quotes about Moth
A moth has no desire for the flower he had visited.
A man has less desire for the woman he had tasted.
A moth wants its nectar. A man wants discovery.
That is why he is tied to her by marriage.
20.03.2001, pmdi (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about moth...
Scrabble value of M3O1T1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MOTH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Moth!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Moth to see it in context!