The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun mud:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mud
- Definition of the verb mud
- Other definitions of mud
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mud
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mud
- Photos about Mud
- Videos about Mud
- Quotes about Mud
- Scrabble value of M3U1D2
- Anagrams of MUD
- Share this page
The word mud is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mud
What does mud mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: muds
- water soaked soil; soft wet earth
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of mud: clay
- more generic words: dirt / soil = the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
- more specific terms:
- slanderous remarks or charges
Alternative definition of the noun mud
- A dirty mixture of water and soil.
- A plaster-like mixture used to texture or smooth drywall.
- [context: construction industry slang] Wet concrete as it is being mixed, delivered and poured.
- [figuratively] Willfully abusive, even slanderous remarks or claims, notably between political opponents.
- [slang] Money, dough, especially when proceeding from dirty business.
Definition of the verb mud
What does mud mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: mudded, mudding
- soil with mud, muck, or mire
- plaster with mud
Other definitions of mud
What does mud also mean?
- [online gaming] An interactive online environment in which players may jointly engage in fantasy role-playing games.
- "Mud" is a 2012 American drama film directed by Jeff Nichols and starring Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, and Reese Witherspoon. The film competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
- also known as Leto na obalama Misisipija, 密西西比河上的玛德
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Lisa Maria Falcone, Sarah Green, Aaron Ryder
- executive producers: Glen Basner, Michael Flynn, Tom Heller & Gareth Smith
- production design by Richard A. Wright
- art direction by Elliott Glick
- written by Jeff Nichols
- Matthew McConaughey as Mud
- Reese Witherspoon as Juniper
- Michael Shannon as Galen
- Sam Shepard as Tom Blakenship
- Sarah Paulson as Mary Lee
- Ray McKinnon as Senior
- Joe Don Baker as King
- Tye Sheridan as Ellis
- Paul Sparks as Carver
- Jacob Lofland as Neckbone
- Stuart Greer as Miller
- Michael Abbott Jr. as James
- Bonnie Sturdivant as May Pearl
- Kristy Barrington as Princess
- Douglas Ligon as Motel Clerk
- Johnny Cheek as Kyle
- Allie Wade as May Pearl's Friend
- Tate Smalley as Older Kid at Food King
- Matt Newcomb as Male Nurse
- Kenneth Hill as Nelson
- casting by Francine Maisler
- cinematography by Adam Stone
- edited by Julie Monroe
- music by David Wingo
- costume design by Kari Perkins
- set decoration by Fontaine Beauchamp Hebb
- genres: Drama, Thriller
- rating: PG-13 (USA), 15+
- released on
- some of the awards:
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Young Performer nomination for Tye Sheridan
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Director nomination for Jeff Nichols
- Independent Spirit Robert Altman Award, received by Jacob Lofland, Jeff Nichols, Matthew McConaughey, Joe Don Baker, Francine Maisler, Sarah Paulson, Paul Sparks, Tye Sheridan, Bonnie Sturdivant, Ray McKinnon, Reese Witherspoon, Michael Shannon, Sam Shepard
- official website: mud-themovie.com
- "Mud" is a 2003 drama film written and directed by Derviş Zaim.
- also known as Çamur, Camur
- countries: Turkey, Italy, Cyprus
- language: Turkish Language
- production design by Adnan Öngun
- written by Derviş Zaim
- cinematography by Feza Çaldıran
- edited by Francesca Calvelli
- music by Koulis Theodorou, Michael Galasso
- costume design by Gülnur Akay
- genre: Drama
- released on (12 years ago)
- Mud was a 1994 CBBC television show, starring Russell Brand, Brooke Kinsella, and Russell Tovey in their early appearances and a teddy bear called Steve.
- "Mud" a.k.a. "Kal" is a 1997 short drama film written and directed by Ivaylo Simidchiev.
- read more about Kal
Mud is a fictional character from the 2012 drama film Mud.
- "Mud" is a musical EP of Dom.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Mud" is a musical album of MUD.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Mud" is a musical album of Eszter Balint.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Mud" is a musical EP of Frühstück.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Mud" is a composition.
- music by Loefah
Who is Mud?
Mud a.k.a. Mariana Tosca is an actress, activist and a spokesperson.
- read more about Mariana Tosca (actress)
- Mud were an English glam rock band, formed in February 1966. They were influenced by 1950s rock and roll, and are best remembered for their hit singles "Tiger Feet", which was the UK's best-selling single of 1974, and "Lonely This Christmas" which reached Christmas number 1 in December 1974. After signing to RAK Records and teaming up with songwriters/producers Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, the band had fourteen UK Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1976, including three number ones.
- also known as Mud (grupa muzyczna), Mud (band), Mud (yhtye)
- genres: Glam rock, Rock music, Pop music, Rock and roll
- albums: "Use Your Imagination", "Mud Rock / Mud Rock, Volume II", "Dynamite: 20 Original Hits", "Let's Have a Party: The Best of Mud", "Greatest Hits", "The Night Has a 1000 Eyes", "Gold", "Dyna-Mite", "It's Better Than Working", "Off the RAK: The Singles 1975-79", "A Portrait of Mud", "The Gold Collection", "Mud Rock", "Original Hits", "Rock On", "The Secrets That You Keep", "Tiger Feet", "Moonshine Sally", "The Cat Crept In", "Flower Power", "Jumping Jehosaphat", "Mud's Greatest Hits", "Up the Airy Mountain", "Lonely This Christmas", "Crazy", "Oh Boy", "L’ L’ Lucy", "One Night", "Rocket", "Hypnosis", "Mud Rock, Volume II", "As You Like It", "Cut Across Shorty", "Dynamite / Tiger Feet"
- MUD is a french rock band.
- Mud is a musical group.
- album: "Unfiltered"
There are other groups with in their name, like Mud Flow, Mud family, Mud Hutters, Electric Mud, White Mud Freeway, Hawaii Mud Bombers, The Mud City Manglers, Mississippi Mud Steppers and Chris Robinson & The New Earth Mud.
Mud is a river of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It flows into the river Main near Miltenberg.
- part of Baden-Württemberg
- MUD: A MUD, is a multiplayer real-time virtual world, usually text-based. MUDs combine elements of role-playing games, hack and slash, player versus player, interactive fiction, and online chat. Players can read or view descriptions of rooms, objects, other players, non-player characters, and actions performed in the virtual world. Players typically interact with each other and the world by typing commands that resemble a natural language.
- Mud a.k.a. Medny Aleut language: Mednyj Aleut is a nearly extinct mixed language spoken on Bering Island. It is characterized by Aleut nouns and Russian verbs, each with the full inflectional complexity of the source languages. There are only 5 native speakers left.
- also known as Medny, Copper Island Aleut, Copper, Attuan, Copper Island Attuan, Creolized Attuan
- Mud is a 1983 theater production of the play by María Irene Fornés.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mud
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Martin Thiel, Les Watling
Abstract Mud is a complex substance, being composed of indigestible mineral grains, complex humic substances, and structural organic substances, such as cellulose, bound together with a wide variety of digestible organic components that ...
What Painting Is (2004)
by James Elkins
Watery mud is the medium of ceramists, just as oily mud is the medium of painters. Mural paint-ing uses water and ...
King Liar (2013)
L ouis the Mud Engineer was new to the Pool Santana rig. 'Mud” is the name given to the drilling fluid whose colour and appearance is similar to the mixture of dirt and water. Drilling mud is a complex mix of chemicals with a water or oil base .
Third International Conference, COORDINATION'99, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 26-28, 1999, Proceedings by Paolo Ciancarini, Alexander L. Wolf
More generally, a MUD is an abstract platform that creates shared virtual realities. Thus, a MUD is a very powerful abstraction to describe a general platform for cooperative work possibly on the WWW , that provides a general framework for ...
Light Metals 2013 (2013)
by Barry Sadler
2013 Abstract Red mud is the major waste produced during the production of alumina through Bayer's process. Its disposal remains a worldwide issue ...
by K.K Chatterjee
Red mud: Red mud is the solid waste generated in huge quantities from Bayer's process. Its other names are “residual bauxite” and “ferro-alumina”. It comprises mainly the iron oxide and titania that are present in the bauxite raw material, ...
After Welfare (2000)
The Culture of Postindustrial Social Policy by Sanford Schram
Virtual rooms, called MOOs (MUDObject-Oriented, wherein MUD is the acronym for Multi-User-Dimension), grow exponentially, creating virtual spaces for a variety of exchanges. New domesticated Visual, audio, and textual spaces combine ...
Mud is a beauty treatment the troll endures twice annually. Mud is placed and patted on the skin for a few hours and then rubbed off with nearby water from a dam or stream. One of the many facts Tobias knows, is that one has to be healthy in ...
by Alireza Bahadori, Chikezie Nwaoha, Malcolm William Clark
Mud Anchor: An enlarged area that promotes solids settling prior to a fluid entering the pump. Mud Balance (Fluid Density): A simple scale with a cup and bar with a sliding weight that, when used with a pedestal mount, will give the density of ...
by Andrew Goudie, Visiting Professor and Special Adviser to the Principal Andrew Goudie
Forest geomorphology Large woody debris Mangrove swamp Microatoll Mima mound Mire Mud flat and muddy coast Nebkha Organic weathering Oyster reef Peat erosion Reef Riparian geomorphology Saltmarsh Serpulid reef Stromatolite ...
Volume 2: Geography by Richard Pillsbury
mud dauber [= mud wasp), gunnysack, and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mud
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mud
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: xJason.Rogersx
Taken on the edge of the West Pennine Moors, north of Bolton
Photo credit: darrenriley
Photo credit: fotologic
Photo credit: Dan Zen
Photo credit: cowbite
Photo credit: ChodHound
Photo credit: jmrodri
Photo credit: Amourins
- Mud pool
This one was mostly dried out
Photo credit: cobaltfish
- Rain and mud
Photo credit: cowbite
- Mud Tree
The frost has started receeding after 2 days of no sun.
Photo credit: pdam2
- London Mud
Photo: Fabio Penna...
Photo credit: Fabio Sola Penna
- Cracked mud
with some cracked-up post-processing...mostly just over-saturating the color
Photo credit: theilr
- Dee Mud
Photo credit: Alistair-Hamilton
- Mud Texture
Photo credit: chefranden
- Cracked mud
Photo credit: a.dombrowski
- London Mud
Photo: Fabio Penna...
Photo credit: Fabio Sola Penna
- True Mud
Photo credit: sunxez
- Mud Couch
Israel, Neot Semadar
Photo credit: zeevveez
- Cracking mud
Photo credit: a.dombrowski
View more pictures about Mud volcano.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Mud
Click on an item to play that video:
- Drilling Fluid Circulation System ( Mud ), Simple Explanation for Petroleum Engineering Students
This video has an excellent explanation for mud circulation system, directed to petroleum engineering students !!
- Mud Butt meaning and pronunciation
The sensation of having a greasy and unwipeable ass usually occuring after consumption of large quantities of fried or fatty foods. A result of oily anal discharge, ...
- MUD meaning and pronunciation
Multiple Username Disorder: A condition that compels those inflicted to create a multitude of aliases on websites such as 'IMDb', in order to praise or defend ...
- 2015 Powerline Park GNCC Live - Mud Hole Explanation Featuring Barry Hawk and Jeff Russell
- MUD Meaning
Video shows what MUD means. An interactive online environment in which players may jointly engage in fantasy role-playing games.. MUD Meaning. How to ...
- Mud Meaning
Video shows what mud means. A mixture of water and soil or fine grained sediment.. A plaster-like mixture used to texture or smooth drywall.. Wet concrete as it ...
- Mud Slang
- Sea mud Meaning
Video shows what sea mud means. A rich slimy deposit in salt marshes and along the seashore, sometimes used as a manure.. sea mud synonyms: sea ooze.
- Mud wrestling Meaning
Video shows what mud wrestling means. A form of entertainment in which people wrestle in mud.. A dirty and disreputable dispute.. Mud wrestling Meaning.
- Throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick Meaning
Video shows what throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick means. Try the same thing (or similar things) often enough, and, even if the general ...
- Mud Defender - Herbal Coat and Skin Supplement for Horses - Product Description
- Mud Defender Lotion - Coat and Skin lotion for Horses - Product Description
Gentle soothing lotion offering anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties for sore and abraded skin.
- 5 Jeeps through the mud, terrific (Rated R for language)
- Taste Review and description of Hyphy Mud and ISYMFS pre-workout in general
Review of quality.
- Extreme mud mountain biking with dirty language crazy bikers
- Rotorua Mud Pools Smell Description
- ESl - Sports & Hobbies - Cow Mud Racing
The pictures explain it the best... You'll have to join to find out where and why people grab onto the tails of running cows and slide through the mud. To join a ...
View more videos about mud pie, Mud Run, Red Mud, Mud bath, Mud Crab, Mud Flap, Mud flat, Mud Room, Mud Slab, Magic Mud, Mud Sedge, Mud Monkey, Mud bogging, Mud volcano, Clear As Mud, Drilling mud, Mud Cracking, Grass Mud Horse, and Stick in the Mud.
See also the pronunciation examples of Mud!
Quotes about Mud
I see it all the time in politics. If a candidate gets caught in a lie, he quickly tries to change the subject by throwing more mud at his opponent. The mud keeps flying until some of the slanderous material sticks. (Joe Scarborough)
more quotes about mud...
Scrabble value of M3U1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MUD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Mud!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mud to see it in context!