Myth appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- O naughty man, I saw I was in a myth: guano!
- O naughty men, O siren-mad dog, O god-damner… is one myth guano?
- O Tyrell, a gay alpine myth guards draughty men I play a gallery to.
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun myth
What does myth mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: myths
- a traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people
- examples: Paul's success was a myth. | The myth offers insights into the ancient civilization. | The mountain is famous in myth and legend. | What he had said proved to be a myth. | It grew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy … who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep. | It drew strength from the young people who rejected the myth of their generation's apathy, who left their homes and their families for jobs that offered little pay and less sleep. | Drink water only when you are thirsty; drinking 8 glasses a day is only a myth. | It's just a myth that Rambo can defeat an army alone. | That's a myth. | We use much more than 10% of our brains; that's just an urban myth.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: story = a piece of fiction that narrates a chain of related events
- more specific terms: Twilight of the Gods / Gotterdammerung / Ragnarok = myth about the ultimate destruction of the gods in a battle with evil
- member of: mythology = myths collectively
Alternative definition of the noun myth
- A traditional story which embodies a belief regarding some fact or phenomenon of experience, and in which often the forces of nature and of the soul are personified; a sacred narrative regarding a god, a hero, the origin of the world or of a people, etc.
- [uncountable] such stories as a genre
- A commonly-held but false belief, a common misconception; a fictitious or imaginary person or thing; a popular conception about a real person or event which exaggerates or idealizes reality.
- A person or thing held in excessive or quasi-religious awe or admiration based on popular legend
The Myth is a 2010 Chinese television series based on the 2005 Hong Kong film of the same title. Jackie Chan, who starred in the original film, was credited as the producer for the series, while Stanley Tong, who directed the film, was the creative director for the series. The series was first aired on CCTV-8 in China in January 2010. The budget was estimated to be at 40 million yuan.
- also known as The Myth
- begun on and completed on (5 years ago)
- 50 episodes
- country: China
- regular cast: Hu Ge
- genres: Historical fiction, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance Film, Drama
"Myth" is a book by Robert Segal, published on (11 years ago).
- also known as "Myth: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)"
- "Myth" is a text adventure game by Magnetic Scrolls released in 1989. This game was only released in limited numbers to members of the Official Secrets adventuring club. It is shorter than other Magnetic Scrolls adventures.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Magnetic Scrolls
- genres: Interactive fiction, Adventure game
- publishers: Telecomsoft, Rainbird Software
- released in (27 years ago)
- "Myth" a.k.a. "Myth: The Fallen Lords" is a 1997 real-time tactics video game for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS developed by Bungie and published by Bungie in North America and by Eidos in Europe. It is the first game in the Myth series.
- read more about Myth: The Fallen Lords
- "Myth" is a composition.
- also known as Myth (Blade Runner mix)
- music by Jeroen Tel
- "Myth" is a musical album of Chorus of Tribes.
- "Myth" is a musical album of Geographer.
- released on
- "Myth" is a musical single of Untold & Roska.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Myth" is a musical EP of Groan.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Myth" is a musical single of Spin Science.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Myth" is a musical single of Beach House.
- released on
- "Myth" is a musical single of Elevated Sins.
- released on (5 years ago)
- Myth a.k.a. Ken Wallace: Kenneth "Ken" Wallace is an Australian sprint canoer who has competed since the mid-2000s.
- read more about Ken Wallace
- Myth a.k.a. Menno de Jong is primarily known as a trance DJ and producer with an international following. Based in Amsterdam, Netherlands, de Jong was interested in music — classical as well as modern — at a young age. His production & remix career has seen him record for some of Europe’s biggest trance labels and has owned the Dutch independent label Intuition Recordings. A Podcast pioneer, he’s produced and presented the much respected and widely-syndicated Intuition Radio show and current Menno de Jong's Cloudcast. Menno has performed with some of the biggest names in the Trance industry, including Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Armin van Buuren and more. He has also performed at some of the world's biggest festivals such as Tomorrowland, Mystery Land, Amnesia in Ibiza, and Love Parade in Berlin.
Myth a.k.a. Myth Taverna & Lounge is a Venue, Building in San Jose.
- read more about Myth Taverna & Lounge
- Myth is a series of real-time tactics video games for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS.
- also known as 神话系列
- Myth a.k.a. Demythologization is a hermeneutic approach to religious texts that seeks to separate cosmological and historic claims from philosophical, ethical and theological teachings. The term demythologization is introduced by Rudolf Bultmann, but has earlier precedents.
- read more about Demythologization
- Myth was a warez group, focused on cracking and ripping PC games. Besides ripped games, the group also released trainers and cracked updates for games.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Myth
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Liam Leonard, Paula Kenny
The third myth is that, in future, the right technologies will solve urban population issues. Response: Sufficient technological expertise is already in existence to solve many social problems. The fourth myth is that complex social problems can ...
by Eric Stauffer, Monica Bonfanti
The first myth is that police divers are only able to search and bring back pieces of evidence to the surface. On the contrary, police divers are like the other members of the team in charge of the inquiry. They are not simply divers but underwater ...
The Final Curtain (1999)
State Funerals and the Theatre of Power by Harry Garlick
Yet a myth is an entity that is both familiar and unknown.
Myth is a mode of communication which is both a companion and an alternative to rationality.
by Rhoda Olkin
The second myth is that people with disabilities are incapable of functioning ...
Crisis and Continuity (1998)
Time in the Gospel of Mark by Brenda Deen Schildgen
As such, myth is a literary environment, the world of the imagination, whether bound by conventions or consciously transgressing the conventions (social,
Myth is the extraordinary space-time where the extraordinary human possibility can be worked out.
A Dealer of Old Clothes (2007)
Philosophical Conversations with David Walker by Darryl Scriven
Myth is the verbalization of ritual. It is an element in all cultures which...
Social Cognitive Psychology (1997)
History and Current Domains by David F. Barone, James E. Maddux, C. R. Snyder
The first myth is that we have clear and objective criteria for defining and distinguishing between normal and abnormal psychological and behavioral functioning (sometimes referred to as psychopathology). The claim is that we know what ...
by Geoffrey W. Dennis
Myth,. Magic. and. Mysticism. “An erudite and lively compendium of Jewish magical beliefs, practices, texts, and individuals. Geoffrey Dennis serves up a delicious smorgasbord of the irrational, demonstrating that Judaism has been and is not ...
by Eric Donald Hirsch, Joseph F. Kett, James S. Trefil
It isn't clear whether the myth of George Washington and the Cherry Tree belongs in a course on history or one on mythology, but from the standpoint of literacy it doesn't matter. For purposes of communication and solidarity in a culture, myths ...
Volume 16: Sports and Recreation by Harvey H. Jackson III
Leisure/Laziness Myth. These two contrary aspects notwithstanding, the leisure/ laziness myth has consistently involved two distinct cultural subjects— work and nonwork—and has represented the typical southerner as less interested in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Myth
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Myth
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: badheartbull
Photo credit: jaroh
Photo credit: kowitz
Photo credit: Philo Nordlund
Photo credit: philwirks
- Myth, Lush
Photo credit: dreamsjung
- A Myth of Sun on Ice
Photo credit: J McSporran
- Myth Maker
"Wild Bill" Hickok's gravesite, Deadwood, South Dakota, USA
Photo credit: Woody H1
View more pictures about Urban Myth.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Myth
Click on an item to play that video:
- Myth Definition
- Myth Meaning
Video shows what myth means. A traditional story which embodies a belief regarding some fact or phenomenon of experience, and in which often the forces of ...
- Feng Shui House Numbers: The Truth, Myth & Meaning
Feng Shui House Numbers: The Truth, Myth & Meaning for the house numbers of your home. Come on over to ...
- DIALECT- Advanced Myth (Full album)
available for free download at...
- Meaning & Myth in Louise Talma's First Period Works
Kendra Leonard discusses meaning and myth in the first-period works of 20th century composer Louise Talma. Speaker Biography: Kendra Preston Leonard is ...
- Find Purpose - Meaning and Passion with Plato's Myth of Er.
Plato's myth explains how each and every living creature has a Cosmic Task, Purpose, or a 'Calling' to find and fulfill in life.
- NBA Myth Buster: Definition of Clutch
- Stories from the Bible 2. Myth, Meaning and Facts from Adam and Eve to the Tower of Babel
Book for iPad with a Danish approach...
- Fostering Changes Myth, Meaning And Magic Bullets in Attachment Theory
- Cartoon Conspiracy Theories: Meaning & Myth | Whack & Epified
- Myth Provokes Explanation But Accepts None Of It
The finale of the dance film Finite & Infinite Games. An interdisciplinary dance film, Finite & Infinite Games, is a celebration of unity and color. Filmed at Judson ...
- The Meaning of Canada: Myth, Irony and Compromise by Dr Roseann Runte
The following is the audio of the FASS Distinguished Lecture which took place November 19, 2008 at Carleton University's Kailash Mital Theatre. The guest ...
- The Meaning of Myth Play
- Magna Carta: Myth and Meaning
June 2015 will see the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta, the 'Great Charter' which was signed at Runnymede by King John to resolve a political crisis he faced ...
- Explanation of Myth Assignment
- Meaning of Life - Source of Myth and Dream
- METAPHYSIC DEFINITION OF A RAP FLOW-KAIRO MYTH
- Myth, Magic & Meaning
- Hercules myth simple explanation
via YouTube Capture.
- Myth and Meaning in the Digital Age
70 minutes - Made between 1989 and 2012.
- Myth Busting Age and Language Learning - Video #1
The truth about the relationship between people's age and their ability to learn a foreign language. Thinking about studying another language? This video ...
- Primitive Language Myth
Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Myth or Legend - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Ho language origin myth as told by K. C. Naik Biruli
Ho language origin myth as told by K. C. Naik Biruli, in Bhubeneshwar, India, 2007. The story of past times. Once there was old man Luku and old woman ...
- Myth: disciple is a verb
- Myth and Science: Expression and Description (1-2)
- Language Myths "Made Easy" Myth #20
Made Easy video #1 for Language Myths. Project for AP English Language.
- Myth and Science: Expression and Description (2-2)
- Language Myths Made Easy Myth #3:The Media Are Ruining English
- Ben and Nick's language arts myth project
See also the pronunciation examples of Myth!
Quotes about Myth
Without a doubt the greatest injury of all was done by basing morals on myth. For, sooner or later, myth is recognized for what it is, and disappears. Then morality loses the foundation on which it has been built. (Lord Samuel)
more quotes about myth...
Scrabble value of M3Y4T1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Myth to see it in context!