Nail appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Nail Lillian!
- Nail a tin Italian.
- Stab nail at ill Italian bats.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb nail:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun nail
- Definition of the verb nail
- Phrases with Nail
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nail
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nail
- Photos about Nail
- Video language resources about Nail
- Quotes about Nail
- Scrabble value of N1A1I1L1
- Anagrams of NAIL
- Share this page
The word nail is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun nail
What does nail mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: nails
- horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- more generic terms: horny structure / unguis = any rigid body structure composed primarily of keratin
- more specific words:
- part of: integumentary system = the skin and its appendages; dactyl / digit = a finger or toe in human beings or corresponding body part in other vertebrates
- a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: fastener / fastening / fixing / holdfast = restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
- more specific terms:
- brad = a small nail
- clout nail / clout = a short nail with a flat head
- doornail = a nail with a large head
- eightpenny nail = a nail 2.5 inches long
- fourpenny nail = a nail 1.5 inches long
- hobnail = a short nail with a thick head
- sixpenny nail = a nail 2 inches long
- spike = a large stout nail
- staple = a short U-shaped wire nail for securing cables
- stub nail = a short thick nail
- tack = a short nail with a sharp point and a large head
- tenpenny nail = a nail 3 inches long
- a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
Alternative definition of the noun nail
- The thin, horny plate at the ends of fingers and toes on humans and some other animals.
- A spike-shaped metal fastener used for joining wood or similar materials. The nail is generally driven through two or more layers of material by means of impacts from a hammer or other device. It is then held in place by friction.
- One of the four round pedestals (the nails) in Bristol, on which merchants once carried out their business.
- An archaic English unit of length equivalent to 1/16th of a yard (2.25 inches).
Definition of the verb nail
What does nail mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: nailed | nailing | nails
- attach something somewhere by means of nails
- example: nail the board onto the wall
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] Linda taped the picture [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Linda taped the box shut [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Linda taped the label and the cover together [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Linda taped the picture to the wall [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs whisk easily | Most labels tape easily [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Labels and covers tape easily together [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] together [Adverb] Labels and covers tape together easily [Patient 1 - solid] [Verb] [Adverb] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Labels tape easily to that kind of cover
Verbs of Combining and Attaching (with the same syntax): anchor, band, belt, bolt, bracket, buckle, button, cement, chain, cinch, epoxy, fetter, glue, handcuff, harness, hinge, hitch, hook, knot, lace, lash, lasso, latch, leash, link, lock, loop, manacle, moor, muzzle, padlock, peg, pin, plaster, rivet, rope, screw, seal, shackle, skewer, solder, staple, stitch, strap, string, tack, tape, tether, thread, thumbtack, tie, trammel, truss, wire, yoke, zip.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic word: attach = cause to be attached
- take into custody
- hit hard
- succeed in obtaining a position
- succeed at easily
- example: She nailed her astrophysics course
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of nail: ace / breeze through / pass with flying colors / sail through / sweep through
- more generic terms: make it / pass = go successfully through a test or a selection process
- locate exactly
- complete a pass
Alternative definition of the verb nail
- [transitive] To fix (an object) to another object using a nail.
- [intransitive] To drive a nail.
- [slang] To catch.
- [transitive, slang] To expose as a sham.
- [transitive, slang] To accomplish (a task) completely and successfully.
- [transitive, slang] To hit (a target) effectively with some weapon.
- [transitive, slang] Of a male, to engage in sexual intercourse with.
- Nail is a fictional character from Buffet Titanic.
- Nail is a fictional character from the 2007 film In Bar.
- Nail is a fictional character from the anime series Dragon Ball Z.
- Nail is a fictional character from the 1977 film Summer City.
- Nail is a fictional character in the 2004 film The Seat Filler.
- Nail is a fictional character from the 1997 film American Punks.
- "Nail" is the fourth studio album by Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel. It was released in October 1985, through record labels Self Immolation and Some Bizzare.
- "Nail" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Nail" is a musical album of Throttlerod.
- released on (9 years ago)
- Nail: Relics that are claimed to be the Holy Nails with which Christ was crucified are objects of veneration among some Christians, i.e., among Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox. In Christian symbolism and art they figure among the Instruments of the Passion or Arma Christi, the objects associated with Jesus' Passion. Like the other Instruments the Holy Nails have become an object of veneration among many Christians and have been pictured in paintings and supposedly recovered.
- Nail a.k.a. CD244 is a protein.
- read more about CD244
- Nail a.k.a. CD244 molecule, natural killer cell receptor 2B4 is a gene.
- also known as NK cell activation inducing ligand NAIL, CD244 natural killer cell receptor 2B4, natural killer cell receptor 2B4
Phrases with Nail
Phrases starting with the word Nail:
Phrases ending with the word Nail:
- Pk Nail
- Door Nail
- stub nail
- clout nail
- Rusty Nail
- Straw Nail
- Bright Nail
- casing nail
- coffin nail
- common nail
View more phrases with the word Nail in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nail
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Tooth and Nail (2010)
The Story of the Rabbit in Australia by Brian Coman
Tooth & Nail is a beautifully written and wonderfully entertaining history of the rabbit in Australia.
by A. Y. Elzouki, H. A. Harfi, F. B. Stapleton, H. Nazer, William Oh, R. J. Whitley
The nail is the biggest cutaneous appendage. It is an integral part of the functional unit tip of the...
The nail is a window to the bed permitting the vascular supply and blood oxygenation to be evaluated. Even subtle color changes can be seen ...
by Professor Eastern Florida State College Jahangir Moini
A nail is a modification of the epidermis that contains hard keratin.
by Henry Ho
The Nail is a phallic symbol; it is the erect penis whilst the Yod is the flaccid penis . Hence the Son is the natural evolution of the Father . The path of Vau lies between Chokmah and Chesed . Again we have the image of a father and son .
He Did This Just for You (2005)
by Max Lucado
The nail is the nail ...
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering; History of Inventions; General Technological Vocabulary; and Digest of Mechanical Appliances in Science and the Arts by Edward Henry Knight
Material; as, copper nail, lor sheathing of ships, metal covering of roofs. Galvanized, plated with zinc, etc. 7. Mode of manufacture ; as, wrought, cut, cast. The accompanying cut shows some of the peculiarities as to heads, points, and thickness.
NAIL. We only ask here, from the censors of books, permission to transcribe from that which the Dominican • missionary Labat, proveditor of the holy office, has written concerning the nails of the cross, into which it is more than probable no nail ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nail
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nail
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Nail
Click on an item to play that video:
- Nail Meaning
Video shows what nail means. The thin, horny plate at the ends of fingers and toes on humans and some other animals.. The basal thickened portion of the ...
- Coke Nail meaning and pronunciation
A super long pinkie nail. Derived from the term used by druggies to sniff coke. Coke Nail definition by Urban Dictionary.
- Ghost Nail 2.0 Laser Explanation
- Jamberry Nail Wrap Sheet Explanation
Hot question: what do you get out of a sheet of Jamberry Nail Wraps?
- Bright nail Meaning
Video shows what bright nail means. An uncoated nail, susceptible to rust and corrosion, not used for exterior work.. Bright nail Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Common nail Meaning
Video shows what common nail means. An nail with a mostly smooth uncoated shank less than one third the diameter of its head, used for interior construction, ...
- Finish nail Meaning
Video shows what finish nail means. A nail with a very small head, easily driven below the surface, leaving a small hole readily concealed with putty, used for ...
- EKLuxuryHomes SEO Oct 18 Explanation | Nail Soup Media
- Nail Stick "Swap" Explanation
- Nail one's colours to the mast Meaning
Video shows what nail one's colours to the mast means. To clearly show one's support for a side or opinion in a dispute.. Nail one's colours to the mast Meaning.
- Nail bomb Meaning
Video shows what nail bomb means. A bomb designed to cause extensive wounding by packing sharp objects around the explosive, used especially by ...
- Another nail in one's coffin Meaning
Video shows what another nail in one's coffin means. One in a series of factors which lead, or purport to lead, to downfall.. Another nail in one's coffin Meaning.
- Jamberry Nail Wrap removal - quick rice bag explanation
Lynn Shallue, Jamberry Independent Consultant, shows you why and how rice bags are used for removal.
- Colorbar Cosmetics - Cocktail Brights Nail Lacquer Product Description
Cocktail Brights Nail Lacquer from Colorbar Cosmetics is a range of vibrant neon shades. The range has 6 lively neon shade nail lacquers - Pink, Yellow, Green, ...
- ESL Tools and Hardware, hammer, nail, etc.
- Nail sur Nexus IP dans la description .
salut tout le monde on fait avec nannou ou cheplus dsl un nail . IP: play.nexusmc.fr.
- Julep's March 2014 Riviera Collection - Description and Nail Swatches on Blog
View more videos about PK nail, Nail art, Nail Bar, The Nail, Door Nail, nail down, Nail file, Nail Biter, Straw Nail, casing nail, coffin nail, Duplex Nail, Sinker Nail, Nail clipper, Nail Scissors, and Tooth and Nail.
See also the pronunciation examples of Nail!
Quotes about Nail
A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit.
more quotes about nail...
Scrabble value of N1A1I1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine