On this page:
- Definition of the noun ness
- Phrases with Ness
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Ness
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ness
- Photos about Ness
- Videos about Ness
- Quotes about Ness
- Scrabble value of N1E1S1S1
- Anagrams of NESS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ness
What does ness mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: nesses
- a strip of land projecting into a body of water
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of ness: cape
- more generic terms: dry land / earth / ground / land / solid ground / terra firma = the solid part of the earth's surface
- more specific words: tongue / spit = a narrow strip of land that juts out into the sea
- Cape Horn = a rocky headland belonging to Chile at the southernmost tip of South America
- Lindesnes / Naze = a cape at the southern tip of Norway
- Cape Passero / Passero Cape = a cape that forms the southeastern corner of the island of Sicily
- Cape of Good Hope = a point of land in southwestern South Africa
- Cape May = a cape of southeast New Jersey extending into the Atlantic Ocean
- Cape Fear = a cape in southeastern North Carolina extending into the Atlantic Ocean
- Cape Flattery = a cape of northwestern Washington
- Cape Froward = a cape on the Strait of Magellan in southern Chile
- Cape Hatteras = a promontory on Hatteras Island off the Atlantic coast of North Carolina
- Cape Sable = a cape at the southwest tip of Florida
- Cape Trafalgar = a small cape in southwestern Spain
- Cape York = the northern tip of Cape York Peninsula at the Torres Strait
- Hoek van Holland / Hook of Holland = a cape on the southwestern coast of the Netherlands near Rotterdam
- Skagens Odde / Skaw = a cape on the northernmost tip of Jutland between the Skagerrak and the Kattegatt
Alternative definition of the noun ness
- [geography] A promontory; a cape or headland. [[qualifier, frequently used as a suffix in placenames]]
- Ness a.k.a. Vanessa L. Williams is an actress.
- read more about Vanessa L. Williams
- Ness a.k.a. Vanessa Lengies: Vanessa Brittany Lengies is a Canadian actress, dancer and singer best known for starring in the drama American Dreams as Roxanne Bojarski. She recently appeared as Nurse Kelly Epson on the TNT medical drama HawthoRNe, and has appeared in the recurring role of Sugar Motta in the third and fourth seasons of the Fox series Glee.
- read more about Vanessa Lengies (actress)
- Ness a.k.a. Alma Moreno: Alma "Ness" Moreno-Salic is a Filipina actress and politician. She was born in Cervantes, Ilocos Sur to Frank Lacsamana, from Pampanga, and Jean Moreno.
- read more about Alma Moreno (actress)
- Ness was a member of the musical group, Da Band.
- also known as Lloyd Mathis
- born in (38 years ago)
- member of musical group Da Band (Vocals) between and (2 years)
Ness a.k.a. ~Ness is a musical group.
- read more about ~Ness
- Ness: is a fictional character and the hero of the EarthBound video game. He is an unassuming young boy, gifted with special powers. He comes from Onett, a small town in Eagleland, and lives next door to a boy named Pokey Minch, who becomes one of the main antagonists later in the game. Ness is a silent protagonist though his thoughts are shown at one point.
- Ness a.k.a. Renesmee Carlie Cullen: Renesmee "Nessie" Carlie Cullen is the half-vampire, half-human daughter of Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, born on September 10, three days before Bella's nineteenth birthday in Breaking Dawn. Her name is derived from the amalgamation of the names of Bella's mother, Renée, and Edward's adoptive mother, Esme. Her middle name, Carlie, is a combination of the names Carlisle, Edward's adoptive father, and Charlie, Bella's father. She has the same facial features and hair color as Edward, but has her grandfather, Charlie Swan's, curly hair, and brown eyes like Bella. Bella and Jacob describe her as being the most beautiful person in the world, even though she is so young. Her heart pumps blood, giving her a blush, and her pale skin glows in the sunlight. Her skin is warm and soft to the touch, but it is as strong as a vampire's. Renesmee can survive on either blood or human food, though she prefers blood, and she does not produce venom. Her special abilities are transmitting thoughts to someone by touching their skin and penetrating mental shields. Renesmee rapidly grows both mentally and physically, able to speak only seven days after her birth, and by the end of Breaking Dawn she can read, run, hunt, and perform other tasks at advanced levels for her young age. Her intelligence stuns everyone - Bella and Edward especially - as she is able to understand what is happening around her when the Volturi arrive. Jacob Black nicknames her "Nessie" because he considers her full name to be a mouthful, though Bella strongly dislikes her child being nicknamed "after the Loch Ness Monster". However, by the book's end, all the characters adopt this shortened version. She will reach physical maturity after about seven years, when her physical appearance will be around seventeen, and then stop aging.
- read more about Renesmee Carlie Cullen
- Ness is a fictional character from the 2011 film My Baklava.
- Ness is a fictional character from the 2007 drama film Life Support.
- Ness is a fictional character from the 2006 film Red Ridge.
There are other characters with in their name, like Van Ness.
- Ness is the northernmost part of the Isle of Lewis, a community consisting of about 16 villages, including Lionel, Habost, Swainbost, Cross, North and South Dell, Cross Skigersta, Skigersta, Eorodale, Adabrock, Port of Ness, Knockaird, Fivepenny and Eoropie. It is the most north-westerly community in the European Union. Its most northerly point is the Butt of Lewis. The name Ness derives from the old Norse for headland and many of the other place names in the area also have a Norse origin.
- also known as Ness, Western Isles; Ness, Lewis
- part of United Kingdom
- Ness is a village on the Wirral Peninsula, in the part that remains in the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The village is situated near to the town of Neston, in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester. It constitutes part of the Burton & Ness Ward of the district, with the ward having a total population of 1,620 in the 2001 Census.
- Ness a.k.a. Headland: A headland is a coastal landform, a point of land usually high and often with a sheer drop, that extends out into a body of water. The word is often used as a synonym for promontory; a headland of considerable size often being called a cape. A headland is often referred to simply as a head; either in context or in names such as Beachy Head or Koko Head.
- Ness, also called Nessa, is a princess of the Ulaid and the mother of Conchobar mac Nessa in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. Her father is Eochaid Sálbuide, king of the Ulaid.
Phrases with Ness
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Ness
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Abominable Science! (2012)
Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids by Daniel Loxton, Donald R. Prothero
LOCH NESS Loch Ness is a long, deep lake that lies on a geological fault line—a country-spanning cleft called the...
Sailing Directions for the East Coasts of England & Scotland from Flamborough Head to Cape Wrath, Including the Orkney and Shetland Islands (1854)
by James Imray and Son
ELIE NESS is a conspicuous promontory, lying E. $ N., distant 14 miles from Kinghorn Ness, N. by W. 8£ miles from the...
Applications to Crime and Justice by Stuart Henry, Dragan Milovanovic
One particular area where constitutive criminology impacts our understanding of homeless- ness is the issue of resocialization for street dwellers. This chapter seeks to link selected principles in constitutive criminology with the resocialization ...
by John Leard
Expense, ive,ness Experience, d Experiment, al, s Expert, ly, ness Expiate, d, ion Exploit, s Explore, d, ing Explosion, s Export, s Export, d, ation, s Expressly Expulsion, s4 Expungc, d Extant Extempore, y Exterminate, d, External, y, ...
New Edition by Norris J. Lacy, Geoffrey Ashe, Sandra Ness Ihle, Marianne E. Kalinke, Raymond H. Thompson
Louis GA Geoffrey Ashe, Associate Editor Glastonbury, Somerset, England SNI Sandra Ness Ihle, Associate Editor University of Wisconsin MEK Marianne E. Kalinke, Associate Editor University of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ness
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ness
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: geyergus
Photo credit: ElCapitanBSC
Photo credit: alex012
- Barns Ness Lighthouse
Photo credit: marsupium photography
- At the Ferny Ness
As it turns out, those squarey chunks of concrete are WW2 anti-tank barriers
Photo credit: RealIvanSanchez
- Bo'ness Harbour
Apparently too expensive to dredge... so it remains an eye-sore....
Photo credit: 4652 Paces
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Ness
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ness Meaning
Video shows what Ness means. An Ulster princess and the mother of Conchobar mac Nessa and Findchoem in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. Daughter of ...
- The Suffix Ness Suffix The Suffix -Ness An Explanation Building Words with Suffixes Grammar Video
The Suffix Ness Suffix The Suffix -Ness An Explanation Building Words with Suffixes Grammar Video #1 Suffixes: -Ness: Cupness is an essential feature of any ...
- Ness Meaning
Video shows what ness means. A promontory; a cape or headland. }}. Ness Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ness. Powered ...
- The Suffix ...ness - An Explanation - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Melissa Ness - Learning the language of the stars
On a normal day in the office, Melissa Ness contemplates galactic bulges and history of the universe. She has just graduated from the College of Physical and ...
- The Suffix ...ness - An Explanation - ESL British English Pronunciation
- WOLF(mario, mr. game & watch ) vs. VERB(ness) super smash bros. project melee (losers semis)
- EMU (peach) vs. VERB (ness) super smash bros. project melee (winners semis)
- VERB(falco, ness) vs. HYPMN(pit, ike) super smash bros. project melee (losers semis)
- HIV+(link) vs. VERB(ness) super smash bros. project melee (winners quarters)
- WOLF(marth, mario) vs. VERB(jigglypuff, ness) super smash bros. project melee (losers finals)
See also the pronunciation examples of Ness!
Quotes about Ness
The different ness of races, moreover, is no evidence of superiority or of inferiority. This merely indicates that each race has certain gifts which the others do not possess. (Carter G. Woodson)
more quotes about ness...
Scrabble value of N1E1S1S1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NESS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ness!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ness to see it in context!