The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun New Wave:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun new wave
- Definition of the adjective new wave
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for New Wave
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for New Wave
- Photos about New Wave
- Video language resources about New Wave
- Quotes about New Wave
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun new wave
What does new wave mean as a name of something?
- an art movement in French cinema in the 1960s
- any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts)
Alternative definition of the noun new wave
- A pop and rock music genre that existed during the late 1970s and the early to mid-1980s, incorporating punk beats and synthesized sounds.
Definition of the adjective new wave
What does new wave mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Representing the latest and most advanced style; trendy; faddish.
New Wave is a fictional character in the DC Universe.
- New Wave music is an umbrella term for several late-1970s to mid-1980s pop/rock musical styles with ties to 1970s punk rock. The wide range of bands categorized under this term has been a source of much confusion and controversy. The new wave sound of the late 1970s moved away from the smooth blues and rock & roll sounds to create music with a twitchy, agitated feel, choppy rhythm guitars and fast tempos. Initially—as with the later post-punk—new wave was broadly analogous to punk rock before branching as a distinctly identified genre, incorporating electronic/experimental music, mod, disco and pop. It subsequently engendered subgenres and fusions, including New Romantic and gothic rock.
- "New Wave" is Against Me!'s fourth full-length studio album and their debut album on Sire Records. Produced by Butch Vig of Nevermind fame, it was released on July 10, 2007. The album debuted at #57 on the Billboard 200 on the week of its release. The album's first single, "White People for Peace", was released in May 2007, prior to the album's release. A second single, "Thrash Unreal", followed in July 2007.
- "New Wave" is the 1993 debut album by British alternative rock band The Auteurs. In 2014, British independent record label 3 Loop Music re-released the album on 180gsm Vinyl and as a 2CD Expanded Edition which included b-sides, rarities, radio session tracks and the original 4-track demos that led to the band's signing with Hut Records.
- "New Wave": New Wave! is an album by Dizzy Gillespie consisting of live and studio performances recorded in 1962 and released on the Philips label in 1963.
- genre: Jazz
- released in (52 years ago)
- "New Wave" is a musical album of Mr Jones Machine.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "New Wave" is a musical album of Soul Family Sensation.
- released in (24 years ago)
- "New Wave" is a musical album of SP.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "New Wave" is a composition.
- music by Laura Jane Grace
- "New Wave" is a musical single of Against Me!.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "New Wave" is a musical album of BBRAINZ.
- released on
- "New Wave" is a musical album of Joao Penca e seus Miquinhos Amestrados.
- "New Wave" is a musical EP of Cephas.
- "New Wave" is a musical album by Krisztián Éder.
- released on (4 years ago)
"New Wave" a.k.a. "Nouvelle Vague" is a 1990 French film written and directed by Jean-Luc Godard. It follows the story of hitchiker Lennox credited as "Lui", taken in by a wealthy industrialist, Elena Torlato-Favrini or "Elle", played by Domiziana Giordano. The film was entered into the 1990 Cannes Film Festival.
- read more about Nouvelle Vague
- New Wave is an international contest for new stars, which usually lasts for six days: 3 contest days, 2 special event days and, at the end, the day where the contest's results are announced followed by an ending concert.
- official website: www.newwavestars.com/ru
- New Wave: In design, New Wave or Swiss Punk Typography refers to an approach to typography that actively defies strict grid-based arrangement conventions. Characteristics include inconsistent letterspacing, varying typeweights within single words and type set at non-right angles.
- New Wave is a single by punk group Against Me!. It is the fourth single from their album, New Wave. The single is only available at Against Me! gigs, and is a limited edition of 4970 on black vinyl.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for New Wave
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Kenneth Hudson
New wave. A type of rock music, similar to PUNK ROCK, which emerged about 1976. Among professionals, there are subtle differences between punk and new wave, but the word is used much more loosely by the average fan and by ...
The Film Snob*s Dictionary (2006)
An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge by David Kamp, Lawrence Levi
Iranian New Wave. The most heavily Snob-championed foreign-film movement of the early twenty-first century, posited by such crit-worthies as IONATI-IAN ROSENBAUM as being as important as the FRENCH NEW WAVE of the 1950s and ...
by Fran Mason
NEW WAVE SCIENCE FICTION ~ 225 its imagination of a near-future culture dominated by the death of nature that is represented in megacities such as “The Sprawl” and in the clutter of manufactured junk and commodities, the only escape ...
by Frank Hoffmann
Likethe pubrockand punk movements, the new wave represented a conscious reaction against the American rock industry innovations ofthe late 1960s, including(1) Woodstockstyled rockfestsand stadiumvenues;(2) a dependenceon ...
by M. Keith Booker
Many of these were aligned with the movement that came to be known as the New Wave. While there remains some disagreement over its significance (or even existence), the phenomenon known as the “New Wave” is widely regarded as one ...
by Colin Larkin
Devo Formed during 1972 in Akron, Ohio, this US new wave band, who fitted the term better than most, originally comprised Mark ...
Heedited New Worlds Magazine for several years andwas one of themajor figuresinthe British New Wave movement, which helped providea forumfor theexperimental workofJ. G. Ballard, Langdon Jones, Thomas Disch,and other writers ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for New Wave
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about New Wave
Click on an item to view that photo:
- New Wave
Photo credit: Derek Bridges
- New Wave
Photo credit: tortuga767
- New Wave
Photo credit: Cea.
- New wave
Photo credit: samuelnabi
- New Wave
Extract from The Week
Photo credit: Brett Jordan
- Google "New Wave" T-shirt
Photo credit: kadavy
- New Wave Tattoo - London
Lal Hardy's New Wave studio in Muswell Hill London...
Photo credit: markhillary
- New Wave Henry
Photo credit: Charkrem
- New wave viking
or was that nu rave?
Photo credit: thefuturistics
- Experience New Wave
Photo credit: ChodHound
- Swedish New Wave
Something a bit Goddard about this photo
Photo credit: pixelthing
- Crocheting - Judith Bertoglio-Giffin - New Wave
Photo credit: PRECIOSA ORNELA
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about New Wave
Click on an item to play that video:
- New Wave Meaning
Video shows what New Wave means. Any of several movements in music film which are or were considered cutting edge.. New Wave Meaning. How to ...
- New wave Meaning
Video shows what new wave means. Representing the latest and most advanced style, trendy, faddish.. New wave Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
View more videos about The New Wave.
See also the pronunciation examples of New Wave!