New York appears in the following tongue twisters:
- unique New York
- Knife and a fork bottle and a cork
that is the way you spell New York.
- You know New York.
You need New York.
You know you need unique New York.
New York appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Not New York, Roy went on.
- "Not New York," Roy went on.
- Suborn action: I sack Roy, we nag a New York casino; it can rob us.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun new york
- Definition of the adjective new york
- Phrases with New York
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for New York
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for New York
- Photos about New York
- Videos about New York
- Sign language
- Quotes about New York
- Anagrams of NEW YORK
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun new york
What does new york mean as a name of something?
- a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of New York: Empire State / N.Y. / New York State / NY
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; Mid-Atlantic states = a region of the eastern United States comprising New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware and Maryland
- Cornell University = a university in Ithaca, New York
- Tappan Zee Bridge = a cantilever bridge across the Hudson River
- Bedloe's Island / Liberty Island = an island in New York Bay to the southwest of Manhattan where the Statue of Liberty stands
- New Netherland = a Dutch colony in North America along the Hudson and lower Delaware rivers although the colony centered in New Amsterdam
- capital of New York / Albany = state capital of New York
- Buffalo = a city on Lake Erie in western New York
- Cooperstown = a small town in east central New York
- Erie Canal = an artificial waterway connecting the Hudson river at Albany with Lake Erie at Buffalo; built in the 19th century
- Greater New York / New York City = the largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river
- Ithaca = a college town in central New York on Lake Cayuga
- West Point = United States Army installation on the west bank of Hudson river to the north of New York City
- Long Island = an island in southeastern New York
- Binghamton = a city in south central New York near the border with Pennsylvania
- Kingston = a town on the Hudson River in New York
- Newburgh = a town on the Hudson River in New York
- Niagara Falls = a city in western New York State at the falls of the Niagara river
- Rochester = a city in western New York
- Schenectady = a city of eastern New York on the Mohawk river
- Syracuse = a city in central New York
- Utica = a city in central New York
- Saratoga Springs = a town in eastern New York State famed for its spa and its horse racing
- Watertown = a town in northern New York
- Adirondack Mountains / Adirondacks = a mountain range in northeastern New York State
- Allegheny River / Allegheny = a river that rises in Pennsylvania and flows north into New York and then back south through Pennsylvania again to join the Monongahela River at Pittsburgh which is the beginning of the Ohio River
- American Falls = a part of Niagara Falls in western New York
- Catskill Mountains / Catskills = a range of the Appalachians to the west of the Hudson in southeastern New York
- Delaware River / Delaware = a river that rises in the Catskills in southeastern New York and flows southward along the border of Pennsylvania with New York and New Jersey to northern Delaware where it empties into Delaware Bay
- Hudson River / Hudson = a New York river; flows southward into New York Bay
- Lake Champlain / Champlain = a lake in northeastern New York, northwestern Vermont and southern Quebec
- Mohawk River = a river of central New York that flows southeastward to the Hudson River
- Niagara Falls / Niagara = waterfall in Canada is the Horseshoe Falls
- Susquehanna River / Susquehanna = a river in the northeastern United States that rises in New York and flows southward through Pennsylvania and Maryland into Chesapeake Bay
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
- one of the British colonies that formed the United States
Definition of the adjective new york
What does new york mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of a style, particularly of food, originating in New York.
- New York a.k.a. New York City: New York – referred to as New York City or the City of New York to distinguish it from the State of New York, of which it is a part – is the most populous city in the United States and the center of the New York metropolitan area, the premier gateway for legal immigration to the United States and one of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world. A global power city, New York exerts a significant impact upon commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and entertainment. Home to the headquarters of the United Nations, New York is an important center for international diplomacy and has been described as the cultural and financial capital of the world.
- read more about New York City (city)
- New York is a state in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. New York is the 27th-most extensive, the third-most populous, and the seventh-most densely populated of the 50 United States. New York is bordered by New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south and by Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont to the east. The state has a maritime border with Rhode Island east of Long Island, as well as an international border with the Canadian provinces of Quebec to the north and Ontario to the west and north. The state of New York is often referred to as New York State to distinguish it from New York City, its largest city.
- New York is an unincorporated community in Henderson County, Texas, United States, about 11 miles east of Athens.
- New York is a hamlet in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated in the parish of Wildmore in the Lincolnshire Fens, and on the B1192 road near Coningsby 11.5 miles north from Boston. In the 2001 Census, New York's population was recorded at less than 150.
- New York is small village situated in Tyne and Wear in the North East of England and is part of the urban conurbation of North Tyneside. North Tyneside includes the nearby towns of North Shields, Whitley Bay and Wallsend. The main and nearest city to New York is Newcastle upon Tyne.
- also known as New York, Tyne and Wear
- New York a.k.a. New York, Kentucky: New York is an unincorporated community located in Ballard County, Kentucky, United States. It is part of Ballard County Kentucky, and has a population of 10.
- read more about New York, Kentucky
There are other places with in their name, like New York Bay, East New York, new york n.y., West New York, Hotel New York, New York Mills, new york / n.y., New York Avenue, New York County, New York Harbor, Potter New York, Central New York, Upstate New York, Western New York, New York Aquarium, New York Hospital, New York New York.
- "New York" is the fifteenth solo album by Lou Reed, released early in 1989. A universal critical success, it is widely considered one of his best solo albums. While the defunct Velvet Underground were at the peak of their popularity at the time, Reed's solo career had hit several lows during the 80s, at least since his Blue Mask. However the widespread popularity of New York reignited his career to the extent that he could revive the VU for an aborted world tour.
- "New York" is a song by American hip hop recording artist Ja Rule, released October 27, 2004 as the second single from his sixth studio album R.U.L.E.. The track, produced by Cool & Dre, features fellow New York rappers Fat Joe and Jadakiss. The song's chorus is based around Boogie Down Productions' 1990 song, "100 Guns". The song peaked at #27 on the US Hot 100 chart, #14 on U.S. R&B and Hip-Hop, and #10 on Hot Rap Tracks.
- "New York" is a song by English singer-songwriter Paloma Faith from her debut album Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?. It was released on 13 September 2009. The song features a sweeping gospel chorus by the London based Souls of Prophecy Gospel Choir. The song was re-released in a new remix featuring rapper Ghostface Killah.
- "New York" is a song by Northern Irish alternative rock group Snow Patrol. The track is the third single from the band's sixth studio album, Fallen Empires. It was released as a digital download on 20 December 2011 in the US.
- "New York" is the tenth track from U2's 2000 album, All That You Can't Leave Behind. It is notable as the subject matter is a picturesque description of New York City and of the people who live there, and was later altered following the events of September 11, 2001. The song's lyrics were written by lead singer Bono, who has a residence in New York City.
- lyrics by Bono
- "New York" is the third single by Eskimo Joe, taken from their third studio album Black Fingernails, Red Wine. The band flew to New York to film the music video for the single. The music video for "New York" debuted on ABC's all night music program, Rage, as the first clip shown on the 15 December 2006. "New York" was released on 3 February 2007.
- "New York" is the soundtrack album of the 2009 film New York.
- "New York" is a musical album of Antti Tuisku.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "New York" is a musical album of Eric Le Lann.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "New York" is a musical EP of Angel Haze.
- released on
- "New York" is a musical single of Paloma Faith.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "New York" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music and lyrics by Nino Ferrer
- "New York": New York: a Novel is an historical novel by British novelist Edward Rutherfurd, published in 2009.
- language: English Language
- genre: Historical novel
- released on (6 years ago)
- "New York": The 1976 book New York is a work of travel and observation by Anthony Burgess. It was written for Time–Life's "The Great Cities" series of books.
- also known as "New York (The Great cities)"
- subjects: New York, History of the Americas, History
- copyright: 1976
- "New York" is a book by Lily Brett.
- subjects: History of the Americas, New York, United States of America, 20th century
"New York" is a 2009 Bollywood thriller film directed by Kabir Khan, produced by Aditya Chopra under Yash Raj Films, and screenplay by Sandeep Srivastava. Visual effects are by Visual Computing Labs, Tata Elxsi Ltd. It stars John Abraham, Katrina Kaif, Neil Nitin Mukesh and Irrfan Khan. New York begins in 1999, ends in 2008, and tells the story of three students studying at the fictional New York State University whose lives are changed by 9/11 and its aftermath.
- country: India
- languages: English Language, Hindi Language
- producers: Aditya Chopra & Sri Rao
- executive producer: Aashish Singh
- production design by Norman Dodge
- art direction by Michael Crenshaw
- written by Sandeep Srivastava
- based on a story by Aditya Chopra
- John Abraham as Samir 'Sam' Shaikh
- Irrfan Khan as Roshan
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui as Zilgai
- David Winning as Steve
- Samrat Chakrabarti as Yaqub
- Katrina Kaif as Maya Shaikh
- Neil Nitin Mukesh as Omar Ehzaz
- Ginger Kroll as Sarah
- Justin Stern as Jack
- Dustin Kerns as Kevin
- Cody Ross Pitts as Yohan
- Mirza Ali Quli as Zaheer
- Obaid Kadwani as Malik
- Ernest E. Brown as FBI Agent #1
- Rizwan A. Alvi as Yasir
- Steve Annan as Russian #1
- Brandi Antoinette Briggs as Young female student
- T.J. Craig as Sam's friend
- Brian Dawson as Daylan
- Andrew Flihan as Avacuee
- Ann-Marie Jordan as Sight Seeker
- Hope Galloway as Spectator
- William James Kelly as FBI Employee
- JaQuinley Kerr as Student
- Tony Mirrcandani
- John Mitchell as Business Man #1
- Jon Stosal as FBI Agent #2
- Ivan Vila as College Student #1
- Aidan Wagner as Danyal Shaikh
- Anthony M. Walker as College Student #2
- Joe Zarriello as College Student #3
- Mohammed J. Ali as SWAT Team Member #1
- Mohammed J. Ali as College Student #4
- Robert Alton Barr as College Student #5
- Kibwe Dorsey as Business Man #2
- Jason Giello as FBI Agent #3
- Jae Greene as SWAT Team Member #2
- Jae Greene as College Student #6
- Steve Kaufmann
- Edward M. Kelahan as Football Player
- Douglas Mayer as Helicopter Sniper #1
- Chris McMullin as NYPD Officer #1
- Luis Pacheco as Business Man #3
- Lauren Pappas as Club Goer
- Joe Pawlenko as FBI Agent #4
- Robert Paziora as FBI Building Bomb Evacuee
- Jennifer Renée Price as College Student #7
- Jordan Romero as College Student #8
- Jordan Romero as Business Man #4
- John-Eric Schuman as Helicopter Sniper #2
- casting by Rita Powers & Sean Powers
- cinematography by Aseem Mishra
- edited by Rameshwar S. Bhagat
- music by Pritam Chakraborty
- costume design by Rocky S
- genres: Thriller, Musical, Crime Fiction, Drama, Bollywood, Musical Drama
- released on (6 years ago)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress nomination for Katrina Kaif
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Neil Nitin Mukesh
- Star Guild Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for Irrfan Khan
- IIFA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Roshan) nomination for Irrfan Khan
- Star Guild Award for Best Screenplay nomination for Sandeep Srivastava
- Star Guild Award for Best Sound Recording nomination for Ali Merchant & Debasish Mishra
- Star Guild Award for Best Re-Recording nomination for Anuj Mathur
- official website: www.yashrajfilms.com/microsites/new_york/nywebsite.html
"New York" is a painting (oil paint, acrylic paint, pencil, gesso) by Mino Argento, begun in (43 years ago).
- media: oil paint, acrylic paint, pencil, gesso
- New York is a transitional serif typeface designed in 1983 for the Macintosh computer by Susan Kare, Charles Bigelow, and Kris Holmes. It was originally titled “Ardmore.” The typeface was the standard bitmap serif font for the early Macintosh operating systems. New York is one of several of what Apple Computer cofounder Steve Jobs called “World Class Cities” typefaces.
- New York was a term given to a professional football team formed by promoter Tom O'Rouke for the World Series of Football in 1902. The event was held in New York City at Madison Square Garden. It featured five football teams from New York and New Jersey: the Syracuse Athletic Club, Orange Athletic Club, Knickerbocker Athletic Club, Warslow Athletic Club and "New York". The "New York" team was designed and heavily favored to win the tournament however they were defeated in the opening game by Syracuse.
- New York is a TV program.
- country: United States of America
Phrases with New York
Phrases starting with New York:
- new york bay
- new york city
- new york fern
- new york aster
- new york state
- new york strip
- new york minute
- New York Reload
- New York Dewberry
- New York Hawthorn
- New York Ironweed
- New York Breakfast
- New York Blackberry
- new york stock exchange
- new york state barge canal
- New York Mountain Cryptantha
Phrases ending with New York:
Other phrase containing New York:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for New York
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
3rd Edition by Peter C. Bjarkman
Yetif much of thepast 35 years have remained a stretch of rarely interrupted dry spells for the Mets franchise, the New York club has still enjoyed the widespread image ofaproud winner. Inlarge part,this maybe credited to an all pervasiveNew ...
Second Edition by Kenneth T. Jackson, Lisa Keller, Nancy Flood
Historical Society; New York Herald Tribune: New-York Historical Society, Peters Collection; New-York Historical Society: New-York Historical Society; New-York Historical Society: Lisa Keller; New York Life Insurance Company: New-York ...
New York School poets paid special attention to the French avant garde, but,in addition, therewere two specifically New York moments inthe history of dadaand surrealismwhen European artists soughtrefugein the city during thetwoworld wars ...
by Glenmore S. Trenear-Harvey
Name Alias Codename Rezidentura Abbiate, Roland Pravdin SERGEI New York Adams, Artur ACHILLES GRU Illegal Angelov, Pavel N. Ottawa Apresyan, Stepan Z. New York, San Francisco Aptekar, Nikolai SERGEI London Barkovsky, ...
by Michael R. Peres
George Eastman House Collection Rochester, New York, USA J.C. Strauss George Eastman House Collection Rochester, New York, USA Nancy M. Stuart, Ph.D. Executive Vice President and Provost The Cleveland Institute ofArt Cleveland, ...
NEw York ACADEMY of MEDICINE, 17 W. 43d st. (See separate article.) NEw York CLINICAL SocIETY.—Meets monthly, except in summer, at the houses of members. Membership limited to 20. NEw York County MEDICAL AssocIATION.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for New York
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about New York
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about New York
Click on an item to play that video:
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : Standard New York Dialect
Speaking in another dialect, especially a standard New York dialect, is not that hard if you know the right steps and rules. Learn how to speak in a New York ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Simple R Drop Practice
Practice dropping those R sounds so you can sound like a real New Yorker. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin ...
- Make Meaning New York on WNBC (NBC)
DIY Expert Amy Kotulski and NBC's Lauren Scala get Creative at Make Meaning!
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Broad AW Practice
Because it is so indicative of the New York sound, make sure to practice the broad AW sound. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video.
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Short O
The short O vowel is elongated in New York. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin Bio: Tracy Goodwin has ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Voiced & Voiceless
Voiced and voiceless consonants are a subtle but necessary distinction in learning dialects. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Medial T
Medial T, or when a T comes in the middle of a word, is an step beyond standard American pronunciation. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Pushed R Drops
The pushed R sound turns an OR sound into an OW sound. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin Bio: Tracy ...
- Beach Slang - Get Lost - 10/15/2015 - Paste Studios, New York, NY
Beach Slang - Get Lost Recorded Live: 10/15/2015 - Paste Studios - New York, NY...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Short A
The short A adds a E sound at the front but has some rules. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin Bio: Tracy ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Pushed R Drop Practice
Practice changing the OR sound into an OW sound. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin Bio: Tracy Goodwin has ...
- Jenny Packham's Definition of Modern Elegance | New York Fashion Week
With a celebrity fan base including Taylor Swift, Angelina Jolie, and Kate Middleton, it's no surprise that Jenny Packham is one of the most sought-after dress ...
- Kate Spade New York - Idiom Bangles 2 Heart Of Gold SKU:7687307
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Pitch
Pitch, or lilt or rhythm, drops to more of a monotone for a typical New Yorker. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin ...
- New York Meaning
Video shows what New York means. The largest city in New York State, a metropolis extending into neighboring New Jersey state. A state of the United States of ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: ING Endings
ING endings drop the G in New York. Go ahead and be practicin' those ING endin's. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Short A Practice
There is such a strict rule for the short A sound that you will need very specific practice to master it. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video.
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Short O When A
The short O sounds carries over to words written with an A. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin Bio: Tracy ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Hard R Practice
Practice the hard R so that you can consistently combine two words when appropriate. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy ...
- How to Speak in a New York Dialect : New York Dialect: Broad AW
The broad AW adds an UH sound in New York, making it more elongated. Learn how to speak in a New York dialect in this free video. Expert: Tracy Goodwin ...
- Vega vs EG (Bo3) | Quarterfinals ESL One New York 2015 | Vega Squadron vs Evil Geniuses | DOTA 2
Vega vs EG (Bo3) | ESL One New York 2015 Quarterfinal | Vega Squadron vs Evil Geniuses | DOTA 2 Welcome to DOTA 2 Esports ...
- Secret vs Fnatic (Bo3) | Quarterfinals ESL One New York 2015 | Team Secret vs Fnatic EU | Dota 2
Secret vs Fnatic | Quarterfinals ESL One New York 2015 | Team Secret vs Fnatic EU Welcome to DOTA 2 Esports ...
- Secret vs Vega - ESL New York Final Dota 2
- Secret vs Vega (Bo3) Game 3 | Grand final ESL One New York 2015 | Team Secret vs Vega Squadron
Secret vs Vega (Bo3) Game 3 | Grand final ESL One New York 2015 | Team Secret vs Vega Squadron Welcome to DOTA 2 Esports ...
- [ENG]Secret vs Fnatic ESL One New York 2015 Game 2 bo3
Dota 2 Tournaments...
- Highlights MVP Phoenix vs Fnatic Game 5- ESL One at New York Super Week
- Highlights Natus Vincere vs Newteam123123 - ESL One at New York Super Week
- Highlights Vega Squadron vs Team Secret - ESL One at New York Super Week
- New York Language Center
Meet some of the AMAZING students of New York Language Center as they enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world!
- Highlights Fnatic vs Execration - ESL One at New York Super Week
See also the pronunciation examples of New York!
Click on an item to play that video:
- New York City - Bloomberg's Sign Language Interpreter
An interesting interpretation by Mayor Bloomberg's interpreter.
- USA: NEW YORK: ASL TO BE RECOGNISED AS A LANGUAGE
English/Nat A recent decision by the New York City Board of Education has paved the way for deaf and hearing-impaired students to be instructed primarily in ...
- New York Sign Language Tour
Download the tour here: signlanguage.lp.pocketguideapp.com Take the Gray Line Hop On Hop Off bus, and choose the Downtown Loop. Use and enjoy this ...
Quotes about New York
New York is something awful, something monstrous. I like to walk the streets, lost, but I recognize that New York is the world's greatest lie. New York is Senegal with machines. (Federico Garcia Lorca)
Anagrams of NEW YORK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of New York!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of New York to see it in context!