On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective North-Western
What does North-Western mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of, facing, situated in, or related to the north-west
- (of a wind) blowing from the north-west; north-westerly
- North-western a.k.a. North Western Province is a province of Sri Lanka. The districts of Kurunegala and Puttalam formulate Wayamba. Its capital is Kurunegala, which has a population of 28,571. The province is known mainly for its numerous coconut plantations. Other main towns in this province are Chilaw and Puttalam, which are both small fishing towns. The majority of the population of Wayamba province is of Sinhalese ethnicity. There is also a substantial Sri Lankan Moor minority around Puttalam and Sri Lankan Tamils in Udappu and Munneswaram. Fishing, prawn farming and rubber tree plantations are other prominent industries of the region. The province has an area of 7,888 km², and a population of 2,370,075.
- also known as North Western; North Western Province, Sri Lanka
- country: Sri Lanka
- official website: www.priu.gov.lk/ProvCouncils/Indexpc.html#North-Western
- North-Western a.k.a. Western Province, encompasses the area formerly known as Barotseland in the colonial era.
- read more about Western Province
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for North-Western
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Including Sinde, Afghanistan, Beloochistan, the Punjab, and the Neighbouring States by Edward Thornton
The soil of the southern desert is for the most part sandy; that, on the contrary, of the north-western is a hard, compact, light-coloured clay, generally devoid of vegetation, but in some places producing a growth of tamarisks and other stunted ...
by Josiah Conder
North-western ditto . . Scopia. 10. Salonika . Central ditto .... Thessalonica. 11. Trikala . . Thessaly Trite a. 12. Janina . . Epirus .
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
North-western Europe is particularly favoured because of the remarkably high temperatures of the North Atlantic Ocean. January means of 40° to 50° in the British Isles and on the northern French coast occur in the same latitudes as those of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for North-Western
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about North-Western
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pasa47
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about North-Western
Video shows what north-western means. Of, facing, situated in, or related to the north-west. (of a wind) blowing from the north-west; north-westerly.
See also the pronunciation examples of North-Western!
Anagrams of NORTH-WESTERN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of North-Western!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of North-Western to see it in context!