On this page:
- Phrases with Northern Ireland
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Northern Ireland
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Northern Ireland
- Photos about Northern Ireland
- Videos about Northern Ireland
- Sign language
- Quotes about Northern Ireland
- Share this page
Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the north-east of the island of Ireland. It is variously described as a country, province, or region of the United Kingdom, amongst other terms. Northern Ireland shares a border to the south and west with the Republic of Ireland. In 2011, its population was 1,810,863, constituting about 30% of the island's total population and about 3% of the UK's population. Since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, Northern Ireland is largely self-governing. According to the agreement, Northern Ireland co-operates with the Republic of Ireland on some policy areas, while other areas are reserved for the British Government, though the Republic of Ireland "may put forward views and proposals" with "determined efforts to resolve disagreements between [the two governments]".
- also known as the six counties, the North of Ireland, the occupied six counties
- founded on (94 years ago)
- country: United Kingdom
- instance of: European country / European nation = any one of the countries occupying the European continent
- read more about Northern Ireland (country)
- "Northern Ireland" is a book by Maurice Irvine.
- also known as "Northern Ireland: faith and faction", "Northern Ireland: fact and fiction"
- "Northern Ireland" is a book by William D. Flackes.
- also known as "Northern Ireland: a political directory, 1968-83"; "Northern Ireland: a political directory, 1968-1993"
- "Northern Ireland" is a book by Merlyn Rees.
- also known as "Northern Ireland: a personal perspective"
- "Northern Ireland" is a book by Craig E. Seaton.
- also known as "Northern Ireland: the context for conflict and for reconciliation"
- "Northern Ireland" is a book by Frank Gaffikin.
- also known as "Northern Ireland: the Thatcher years"
Phrases with Northern Ireland
- capital of northern ireland
- Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Northern Ireland
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Northern Ireland is a small dot on.
by James Dingley
Northern Ireland is a deeply divided society wherein disputes over the issue of national identity and state sovereignty ignited political violence (O'Leary and McGarry, 1995). In the context of the legitimacy of the State, while members of the ...
by James C. Dingley
Meanwhile, Northern Ireland is a new creation, but can also display a pedigree of sorts, even if no more of an independent nation than the Republic ever was. Republican, scholastically derived rhetoric limits Nationalists' ability to see any ...
by Gordon Gillespie
The Northern Ireland Problem. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1962. Barton, Brian, and Patrick Roche, eds. The Northern Ireland Question: Perspectives and Policies. Aldershot, UK: Avebury, 1994. Boyce, D. G., and Alan O'Day, eds.
by David Phinnemore, Lee McGowan
The ONIEB was created, aspart of the Belfast Agreement,asa meansof enabling thenewlydevolved Northern Ireland executiveto play a role in Europe. The functions of theONIEB are essentially: to monitor the development byEU institutions of ...
by Carl Skutsch
Adams, Gerry (Northern Ireland Catholic) Aga Khan (Ismaili) Ali, Muhammad (African-American) Ambedkar, Bhimrao Ramji (Dalit) Arafat, Yasser (Palestinian) Bhindranwale, Jarnail Sant (India-Sikh) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Northern Ireland
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Northern Ireland
Click on an item to view that photo:
Videos about Northern Ireland
Click on an item to play that video:
- Jargon Busters - Stamp Duty Changes in England, Wales and Northern Ireland | Halifax
The Halifax explains the changes which took place in December 2014 for stamp duty in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Use the HMRC calculator to work ...
- Northern Ireland Meaning
Video shows what Northern Ireland means. A province of the United Kingdom, situated in the northeastern part of the island of Ireland.. Northern Ireland ...
- It's a Blas - Irish Language in Northern Ireland (BBC Documentary)
BBC Northern Ireland journalist and broadcaster William Crawley attempts to learn the Irish language. Growing up in a North Belfast Protestant community, this ...
- Christine Harper, speech and language therapist from Northern Ireland Gives Voice
Christine is one of the Northern Ireland Giving Voice champions.
- Philomena Cleary, speech and language therapist from Northern Ireland
- Words of Life English: Northern Ireland (English) People/Language Movie Trailer
This is: Words of Life English: Northern Ireland (English) People/Language Movie Trailer c29170 [c29170t] Other names for this language are: English: North ...
View more videos about Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
See also the pronunciation examples of Northern Ireland!
"Northern Ireland" in international sign language
Quotes about Northern Ireland
People were so keen to get investment. In those days, there was quite significant unemployment in Northern Ireland, and that had been the general pattern in Northern Ireland for many, many years. (John Hume)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Northern Ireland to see it in context!