Nose appears in the following tongue twisters:
- No nose knows like a gnome's nose knows.
- Who holds Joe's nose when he blows? Joe knows.
- A big black bug bit a big black dog on his big black nose!
(by Kitty Morrow)
Nose appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Staple domes on a level a nose model pats.
- Nose it in; avoid a rig I radio vanities on.
- An item itself fumes on as a nose muffles time, Tina.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun nose:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb nose:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun nose
- Definition of the verb nose
- Phrases with Nose
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nose
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nose
- Photos about Nose
- Videos about Nose
- Sign language
- Quotes about Nose
- Scrabble value of N1O1S1E1
- Anagrams of NOSE
- Share this page
Fun fact! In English, noses run and feet smel.
The word nose is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun nose
What does nose mean as a name of something?
Nose is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: noses
- the organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals
- example: he has a cold in the nose
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonym of nose: olfactory organ
- more generic word: chemoreceptor = a sensory receptor that responds to chemical stimuli
- more specific terms:
- snout / neb = a long projecting or anterior elongation of an animal's head
- rostrum / snout = beaklike projection of the anterior part of the head of certain insects such as e.g. weevils
- schnozzle / honker / hooter / nozzle / schnoz / snoot / snout / beak = informal terms for the nose
- conk = informal term for the nose
- hawk nose = a nose curved downward like the beak of a hawk
- proboscis = the human nose
- pug nose = a short nose
- Roman nose / hooknose = a nose with a prominent slightly aquiline bridge
- part of: upper respiratory tract = the nose and throat and trachea; face / human face = the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
- turbinate bone / turbinate / turbinal = any of the scrolled spongy bones of the nasal passages in man and other vertebrates
- arteria ethmoidalis / ethmoidal artery = a branch of the ophthalmic artery supplying structures in and around the nasal capsule
- nasal cavity = either of the two cavities lying between the floor of the cranium and the roof of the mouth and extending from the face to the pharynx
- sutura internasalis / internasal suture = the suture between the two nasal bones
- bridge = the hard ridge that forms the upper part of the nose
- anterior naris / nostril = either one of the two external openings to the nasal cavity in the nose
- a front that resembles a human nose (especially the front of an aircraft)
- the front or forward projection of a tool or weapon
- a small distance
- a symbol of inquisitiveness
- the sense of smell (especially in animals)
- example: the hound has a good nose
- domain: animal / animate being / beast / brute / creature / fauna
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic terms: olfaction / olfactory modality / sense of smell / smell = the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
- a natural skill
- a projecting spout from which a fluid is discharged
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of nose: nozzle
- more generic word: spout = an opening that allows the passage of liquids or grain
- more specific word: showerhead = a perforated nozzle that showers water on a bather
- part of: gas burner / gas jet = burner such that combustible gas issues from a nozzle to form a steady flame; oilcan = a can with a long nozzle to apply oil to machinery; sprinkler system = a system for extinguishing fires
Alternative definition of the noun nose
- The organ of the face used to breathe or smell.
- A snout, the nose of an animal
- The tip of an object (e.g. the nose of a fighter plane).
- [horse racing] The length of a horse’s nose, used to indicate the distance between horses at the finish of a race, or any very close race.
- Bouquet, the smell of something, especially wine.
- The skill in recognising bouquet.
- [by extension] Skill at finding information.
Specialised definition of the noun nose
Glossary of sports / dog racing
the smallest distance between two greyhounds finishing a race (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / equestrian
the narrowest winning margin (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- region: USA
Glossary of sports / surfing
the front of the surfboard (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb nose
What does nose mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: nosed | nosing | noses
- search or inquire in a meddlesome way
- advance the forward part of with caution
- catch the scent of; get wind of
- example: The dog nosed out the drugs
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Directional Preposition] [Location] I ferreted the secret out of him
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of nose: scent / wind
- more generic word: smell = inhale the odor of
- push or move with the nose
- rub noses
- defeat by a narrow margin
Alternative definition of the verb nose
- [intransitive] To move cautiously.
- [intransitive] To snoop.
- [transitive] To detect by smell or as if by smell.
- [transitive] To push with one's nose.
- [transitive] To nuzzle.
- [transitive] To win by a narrow margin.
- Nose is a town situated in Toyono District, Osaka Prefecture, Japan.
- Nose a.k.a. Noše is a small settlement near Brezje in the Municipality of Radovljica in the Upper Carniola region of Slovenia.
Who is Nose?
Nose a.k.a. Misha Donat is a film score composer.
- read more about Misha Donat
Nose is a fictional film character.
"Nose" is a book by Cynthia Klingel.
Nose is a novel.
Phrases with Nose
Phrases starting with the word Nose:
Phrases ending with the word Nose:
View more phrases with the word Nose in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nose
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Later Lacan, The (2012)
An Introduction by Veronique Voruz, Bogdan Wolf
The shiny nose is the object connected to nothing in the previous schema. For Freud, the nothing is maternal castration, and...
Messengers of God (2006)
by Arthur O. Roberts, Robin Shepard
The nose is an educator. We learn about the forest from ozone in the air, about the sea from salt...
The nose is a responsible guardian, usually, and not a paranoid alarmist. We sniff the air for the smell of smoke, and check around the house to ...
by Byron J. Bailey, Jonas T. Johnson, Shawn D. Newlands
Conversely, a nose that is overly large, asymmetric, or deformed will draw the viewer's attention. The nose is the most commonly injured of the facial bones because of it prominence and the minimal quantity offorce required to induce fracture ...
Your First ENT Job (2006)
A Survivor's Guide by Marie Lyons, Arvind Singh
The nose is a pyramidal structure formed from bone and cartilage.
The nose is the distinguishing characteristic of the human face ; take away the nose and all become alike.
Anatomy and Physiology (2005)
Understanding the Human Body by Robert K. Clark
(It is between your nose and ear.) Your nose is an anterior structure. (It is on your front surface.) Your kidneys are posterior to your intestines. (They are behind your intestines.) Your navel is a ventral structure. (It is located on your front surface.) ...
100 Extreme Outdoor Adventures to Do Before You Die by Christopher Van Tilburg
But the Nose is the absolute prize. Don't Miss. Check out the spectacular waterfalls, including Yosemite, Bridalveil, Ribbon, Illilouette, Vernal, Nevada, and Horsetail Falls. Book a night apres climb at the Ahwahnee Hotel, constructed in 1925 ...
by Elaine Costello
nose n. The pan of the face protruding above the lips and having openings for breathing and smelling: ...
The dictionary of medical and surgical knowledge, by the editor of the 'Dictionary of useful knowledge'. (1864)
NOSE— The organ of the sense ...
The Devil's Dictionary, Tales, and Memoirs by Ambrose Bierce
Nose. T the intersection of two certain streets in that part of San Francisco known by the rather loosely applied name of North Beach, is a vacant lot, which is rather more nearly level than is usually the case with lots, vacant or otherwise, in that ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nose
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Joris Leermakers
Eshqi is curious about the iPhone
Photo credit: HeyRocker
Photo credit: sk8geek
Kalia, one of Shelly's Dog
Photo credit: twoshortplanks
- Super nose
Photo credit: montillon.a
- Mick's Nose
Photo credit: carterse
- Nose of horse
Photo credit: carterse
- By A Nose
Photo credit: 2bmolar ~ Off & On
- Ewok nose
Photo credit: timparkinson
- Itchy nose!!
Photo credit: Iain Farrell
- Hippo nose
Photo credit: Sheep purple
- Snurre's nose - closeup
Photo credit: Arild Andersen
- Oola Nose
Photo credit: Laertes
- Lobster nose
Photo credit: TenSafeFrogs
- Soggy Nose
Photo credit: Megan_Alys
- Elephant nose
Photo credit: bdogggut34
- Horse Nose
Photo credit: Rob Lee
- Liam's nose by Isaiah
Gotta have his nose in everything.
Photo credit: Christine Jump
- Tatabra Kojak's Nose
Photo credit: carterse
- Cat's nose
Photo credit: orangeaurochs
View more pictures about The Nose.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Nose
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn English Vocabulary: Talking about your nose!
- Nose Meaning
Video shows what nose means. A protuberance on the face housing the nostrils, which are used to breathe or smell.. A snout, the nose of an animal.. The tip of ...
- Pug nose Meaning
Video shows what pug nose means. A short nose which is flattened and whose tip is turned up.. Pug nose Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Turn up one's nose Meaning
Video shows what turn up one's nose means. To make the gesture of raising one's nose, as a sign of scorn, contempt or disgust.. To regard with contempt or ...
- Nose - Visual Idiom Dictionary
- Thumb one's nose Meaning
Video shows what thumb one's nose means. To place a thumb upon the tip of the nose, typically with the fingers spread and while simultaneously wiggling one's ...
- Blow one's nose Meaning
Video shows what blow one's nose means. To expel mucus or other matter from one's nasal passages, via one's nostril, by force of lung power.. Blow one's nose ...
- Ear, nose and throat Meaning
Video shows what ear, nose and throat means. Otorhinolaryngology, a branch of medicine dealing with diseases of the ear, nose and throat, generally used ...
- Pope's nose Meaning
Video shows what pope's nose means. The tail end piece of a cooked chicken.. pope's nose synonyms: parson's nose, pygostyle, sultan's nose. Pope's nose ...
- Get up someone's nose Meaning
Video shows what get up someone's nose means. To annoy someone, to get on somebody's nerves.. Get up someone's nose Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Camel's nose Meaning
Video shows what camel's nose means. A metaphor for a situation where the permitting of some small act will lead consequently to a larger undesirable act or ...
- In front of one's nose Meaning
Video shows what in front of one's nose means. Plain; clearly apparent; obvious.. In front of one's nose Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Poke one's nose into Meaning
Video shows what poke one's nose into means. to interfere or try to intervene in an issue that does not concern one.. Poke one's nose into Meaning. How to ...
- Powder one's nose Meaning
Video shows what powder one's nose means. To use the toilet (nearly always refers to a woman).. (of a woman or group of women) To temporarily leave the ...
- Under one's nose Meaning
Video shows what under one's nose means. directly in front of one; clearly visible. obvious or apparent. Under one's nose Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- GNARLY JARGON Nose Manuel Nollie Flip out at Pulaski Skatep
GNARLY JARGON Nose Manuel Nollie Flip out at Pulaski Skatepark for AFTERMATH YOUTH!!! OCCUPY ALL STREETS!!
- Crowd Explanation for Dome nose cone
- No skin off one's nose Meaning
Video shows what no skin off one's nose means. No harm to one.. no skin off one's nose synonyms: no skin off one's back, no skin off one's teeth. No skin off ...
- Idiom of the day : follow your nose
- Lesson 13 NOSE SURGERY English Vocabulary
- K9 NOSE WORK BODY LANGUAGE
This is a video to help learn about the canine body language of dogs who are on odor - whether practicing K9 Nose Work or watching a dog follow scents on his ...
- Keep One's Nose Clean - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Nose - Visual Idiom Dictionary
- To Get Up Someone's Nose - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- ESL Strories - Mr Smith new nose (transcript video)
It is the 22nd century and the world is very different. With new technologies, people can have the bodies that they want. See what happens when Mr. Smith ...
- ESL Sayings "Cut Off Your Nose to Spite Your Face" Class 919 British Pronunciation
- [ESL song] It has a long nose
This is from English language text book published by YBM for elementary school students in Korea. (year 2011-2013) This song is based on the Role play ...
- Aert Prog: Noun - "Hype Nose (Original Mix)"
Aert Prog: Noun - "Hype Nose (Original Mix)", from "Face To Space" EP available here...
- Learn English Language - Homophones - nose knows, tee tea, tail tale, steel steal
Want to learn some English? In this (LEL) Learn English Language video, some words that sound the same, but mean different things is presented.
- What Is The Definition Of Stuffy nose Medical School Terminology Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Nose!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Nose
Scrabble value of N1O1S1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NOSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Nose!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Nose to see it in context!