On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun nymphalidae
What does nymphalidae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- large beautifully colored butterflies
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Nymphalidae: family Nymphalidae
- more generic term: arthropod family = any of the arthropods
- member of: Lepidoptera / order Lepidoptera = moths and butterflies
- brush-footed butterfly / four-footed butterfly / nymphalid butterfly / nymphalid = medium to large butterflies found worldwide typically having brightly colored wings and much-reduced nonfunctional forelegs carried folded on the breast
- genus Nymphalis / Nymphalis = type genus of the Nymphalidae: mourning cloak butterflies
- genus Vanessa / Vanessa = painted beauty and red admiral
- genus Limenitis / Limenitis = mainly dark northern butterflies with white wing bars
- genus Polygonia / Polygonia = comma butterflies
- genus Spyeria / Spyeria = fritillaries
- genus Argynnis / Argynnis = fritillaries
- genus Apatura / Apatura = large Old World butterflies
- genus Inachis / Inachis = a genus of Nymphalidae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nymphalidae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Wisconsin Statewide Karner Blue Butterfly Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP) and Environmental Impact Statement (1999)
The Nymphalidae is a large, diverse family of about 4,500 species divided into nine subfamilies. The subfamily Nymphalinae which includes the fritillaries and anglewings, are the spiny brush-footed butterflies whose mature larvae are covered ...
Bringing Nature Into Your Yard and Garden by Nancy J. Hajeski
BRUSH-Footed BUTTERFLIES The Nymphalidae is the largest family ofbutterflies with about 6,000 species worldwide. They are called brush-footed butterflies for the brushlike set ofhairs on the forelegs or four-footed butterflies because they ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
WILLMOTT The Natural History Museum, London, United Kingdom The Nymphalidae is one of five families in the superfamily Papilionoidea (true butterflies) of the order Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies). Although a number of ...
Encyclopedia of Insects (2009)
by Vincent H. Resh, Ring T. Cardé
tend to feed on Aristolochiaceae, monarchs (Nymphalidae:...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
[Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae]. A polymorphic, mimetic butterfly endemic to tropical and subtropical Asia and Africa; adventive to Australia, Oceania, South America and Caribbean Islands ...
by Henrik Steinmann, Lajos Zombori
-ae, radula endophalli: the densely denticulate distal part of the phallus in lepidopterous Nymphalidae and Psocoptera radula, -ae, f. L.: l. _* file; 2. _* radula radula endophalli (Psocoptera) _* radula ramellus, p1. li: a special term in the ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
Satyrinae (browns, satyrs, morpho butterflies, heaths, graylings, marbled whites; order *Lepidoptera, family * Nymphalidae) Subfamily of small to mediumsized butterflies, which are mostly brown, ...
Second Edition by Kenneth T. Jackson, Lisa Keller, Nancy Flood
Brushfoots (Nymphalidae), Skippers, and Milkweeds. Monarchs can be seen at Ocean Breeze Park in Staten Island; this species may travel up to ...
by Henk Courtz
Myrmeleontidae kapasi ant lion Mytilidae Mytilus edulis asoso mussel Natantia isùru crawfish Nymphalidae Morpho spp.: awakaparu butterfly sp. Ocypodidae Ocypode quadrata: arasasa caprellid Uca cumulanta: warare crab sp.
by Richard C. Russell, Domenico Otranto, Richard L. Wall
Nymphalidae 99 Oecophylla spp .
by Rod Preston-Mafham, Ken Preston-Mafham
The desert hackberry butterfly, Astero- campa leila (Nymphalidae), aggressively defends the larval food plant, desert hack- berry, Celtis pallida, against intruding males (Rutowski & Gilchrist, 1988). The 'owner' does not even allow a rival to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nymphalidae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nymphalidae
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of N1Y4M3P3H4A1L1I1D2A1E1
The value of this 11-letter word is 22 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NYMPHALIDAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Nymphalidae!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Nymphalidae to see it in context!