The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun oath:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun oath
- Definition of the verb oath
- Phrases with Oath
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Oath
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Oath
- Photos about Oath
- Videos about Oath
- Sign language
- Quotes about Oath
- Scrabble value of O1A1T1H4
- Anagrams of OATH
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun oath
What does oath mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: oaths
- profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger
- a commitment to tell the truth (especially in a court of law); to lie under oath is to become subject to prosecution for perjury
- a solemn promise, usually invoking a divine witness, regarding your future acts or behavior
- example: they took an oath of allegiance
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: promise = a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future
- more specific word: bayat = an oath of allegiance to an emir
- instance: Hippocratic oath = an oath taken by physicians to observe medical ethics deriving from Hippocrates
Alternative definition of the noun oath
- A solemn pledge or promise to a god, king, or another person, to attest to the truth of a statement or contract
- the affirmed statement or promise accepted as equivalent to an 'oath'
- A light or insulting use of a solemn pledge or promise to a god, king or another person, to attest to the truth of a statement or contract the name of a deity in a profanity, as in swearing 'oaths'
- a curse
- [legal] An affirmation of the truth of a statement.
Definition of the verb oath
What does oath mean as a doing word?
- (archaic) To pledge.
- Shouting out. (as in 'oathing obsenities')
Oath is a hamlet in the English county of Somerset. It is the remnant of a deserted medieval village located in the parish of Aller. Oath is west of Langport and north of Curry Rivel.
- Oath a.k.a. Das Oath was a thrashcore band from New York, originating from The Netherlands. They formed in 1999. After two rehearsals the band recorded their 7" eight song debut in Rotterdam. It was not until a year later when Das Oath started to play shows. With only one 7" released the band hit the road and played all over Europe during the fall of 2000. Upon their return to The Netherlands the band went straight into the studio to record songs for what would become their 9" / 10" record. After the recording session the band started to prepare for their first USA tour slated in December 2000. Shows took place on the Westcoast tour in the USA with Total Fury from Japan. One of the highlights was the show at Gilman in Berkeley with Spazz. The tour barely broke even, yet more tours in Europe and the USA. Meanwhile the limited 10" version came out for the spring tour on the Eastcoast. The regular 9" version was finally released late 2001. Shortly upon its released it was banned by the distributor for its controversial artwork.
- read more about Das Oath
- Oath is a musical group.
- album: "Compendium of Suffering"
Oath is a retired Thoroughbred race horse, bred in Ireland and trained in the United Kingdom, best known for winning the 1999 Epsom Derby. He was injured in his next race and never ran again.
- child of Fairy King
- "Oath" is a song by British singer and performer Cher Lloyd, featuring vocals from American rapper Becky G. The track was released on 2 October 2012 as the second single from the American version of Lloyd's debut studio album, Sticks + Stones, and the fourth single overall. "Oath", produced by Dr. Luke and Cirkut, was played for the first time on New York radio station Z100 FM. The track was released as single in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand only. "Oath" was not as successful as Lloyd's previous single, "Want U Back", in the United States, debuting at #99 and peaking at #73 on the Billboard Hot 100. In New Zealand, following the major success of "Want U Back", which reached number 3, "Oath" made a respectable impact, peaking at number 13, becoming Lloyd's third consecutive Top 20 hit in that country.
- "Oath" is a musical album of Strident.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Oath" is a 2012 single album by Cher Lloyd featuring Becky G.
- released on
- "Oath" is a musical album of Oath.
- released in (9 years ago)
"Oath": Rota is an early 20th-century Polish epic poem, as well as a celebratory anthem, once proposed to be the Polish national anthem. Rota's lyrics were written in 1908 by activist for Polish independence, poet Maria Konopnicka. The music was composed two years later by composer, conductor and concert organist, Feliks Nowowiejski.
- also known as The Oath, Rota
OATH a.k.a. Object-oriented Abstract Type Hierarchy is a class library for C++ from Texas Instruments.
- read more about Object-oriented Abstract Type Hierarchy
Phrases with Oath
Phrases starting with the word Oath:
Phrases ending with the word Oath:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Oath
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by J. Gerald Janzen
The oath is that moral act which at one and the same time is the most solitary of acts and the most social of acts. For the...
The Living Age ... (1886)
An oath is the invocation of God — or of a god — a supernatural being — to witness the truth of the statement made by...
Aquinas Ethicus (1896)
by J. Rickaby
"1 Thus then an oath is a lawful and virtuous thing in itself, as is evident from its origin and its end. From its origin: because the ...
by Gilbert Burnet
AN oath is an appeal to God, either upon a testimony that is given, or a promise that is made, confirming the truth of the one, and the fidelity of the other. It is an appeal to God, who knows all things, and will judge all men : so it is an act that ...
by Samuel Freiherr von Pufendorf
because an Oath is a kind of Torture, or the. and Success of the State, the best Expedient is, not to have recourse to...
An Oath is an additional Bond of an Obligation. vii. Of Oaths obtained by Deceit. viii. Of Oaths obtained by Fear. - ix.
Their Origin, Nature, and History by James Endell Tyler
This corresponds very closely with the authorized definition at the present time in Spain, " An oath is an attestation, or affirmation, on any subject, by the name of God, and some sacred thing. And no one ought to swear by heaven or earth, nor ...
Theologia Reformata (1713)
Or, The Body and Substance of the Christian Religion, Comprised in Distinct Discourses Or Treatises Upon the Apostles Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments; in Two Volumes. The Whole Adjusted to the Sacred Scriptures and the Judgement of the Protestant Reformed Churches ... with Proper Indexes and Tables by John Edwards
And such is this, an Oath is a religious Invoking of God *** in a lawful and very weighty Matter, whereby we appeal to...
An Oath is an appeal to God not only as a Witness of the Truth of what we say, but as an Avenger, if we speak not the Truth.
So Help Me God (2005)
A Reflection on the Military Oath by Brian Bohlman
An oath is a form of a loyalty test, in that one swears or affirms to be faithful and committed to fulfill an obligation or...
The military oath is the legal document that requires service members to obey the orders of the president, a governor of a ...
Society in Transformation by Michael Frassetto
Strasbourg, Oath of (842) An agreement between Charles the Bald and Louis the German, the Oath of Strasbourg solidified an alliance between the two kings during the civil wars following the death of Louis the Pious. Subscribed to by the two ...
Multilingual Law Dictionary (1979)
by Lawrence Deems Egbert, Fernando Morales Macedo
oath serment (m) juramento (m) Eid (m) 3959. false oath faux serment; parjure (m) falso juramento; perjurio (m) Falscheid (m); Meineid (m) 3960. oath of allegiance serment d'allégeance (f), de fidélité (f) juramento de fidelidad (f) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Oath
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Oath
Click on an item to view that photo:
at the North Carolina Veterans Park in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
Photo credit: Gerry Dincher
Photo credit: SBFettig
A limp flag in Kampar
Photo credit: williamnyk
Photo credit: feltip1982
- Mounted Oath
SAN ANTONIO - Lt. Gen. Perry Wiggins administers the oath of enlistment on horseback to 50 recruits out of the San Antonio area Feb. 14 in front of the crowd gathered for the 65th annual San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo on one of the Military Appreciation Nights. The ceremony is a rare sight as the oath of enlistment is typically only administered on horseback in cavalry units. Wiggins' horse, a 13-year-old Percheron draft horse named Copeland, is one of 13 horses in the Fort Sam Houston Caisson Section and was formally named after the third Sergeant Major of the Army -- retired Sgt. Maj. of the Army Silas L. Copeland. Wiggins is the commanding general for U.S. Army North (Fifth Army) and senior commander for Fort Sam Houston and Camp Bullis.
(U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Lee Ezzell, Army North PAO)
Photo credit: The U.S. Army
- DCI Oath of Druids
Photo credit: bandarji
- Oath of enlistment
Sgt. Maj. Daniel Dailey, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command's senior enlisted adviser, addresses Future Soldiers following an oath of enlistment ceremony June 14 at Independence Hall, Philadelphia, Pa. Dailey participated in activities to celebrate Flag Day and the Army's 238th Birthday. (U.S. Army Photo by Maj. Edward Shank)
Photo credit: The U.S. Army
- Handwritten Oath of Allegience
View more pictures about The Oath.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Oath
Click on an item to play that video:
- Oath Meaning
Video shows what oath means. A solemn pledge or promise to a god, king, or another person, to attest to the truth of a statement or contract. The affirmed ...
- 009 Peace Maker Society Training Videos - Society Oath & Explanation
- General's explanation of oath
His explanation of oath of office because of 2 questioners left the impression that they and others felt the "people" weren't worthy of their defense.
- ChristianSands 303:1 "Oath swearers, beware! aka The Meaning of 'Yes.'"
- Protem Speaker K.Jana Reddy was administered oath by Governor ESL Narasimhan
Telangana Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan administered oath to the Legislative Council vice-chairman Nethi Vidyasagar as the Chairman and to K. Jana Reddy as ...
- Giorgio Agamben. Oath and the Peculiar Force of Language. 2011
- Gonds taking oath to protect Gondi culture, identity and language in Amarkantak
Annual Gathering of Gond Tribals at Amarkantak on makar sankranti, where they are taking oath to protect Gondi language, culture and identity.
- Vice Prez Parmanand Jha taking oath in Maithali & Nepal Language to contd. post
Firt time in Nepali & Maithaly Language taking Oath by Vice President in Nepal.
- E.S.L Narasimhan takes oath as the 1st Governor of 29th State Telangana
Watch ABN Andhrajyothy, the no 1 Telugu news channel, a 24/7 LIVE news channel dedicated to live reports, exclusive interviews, breaking news, sport, ...
- ESL Narasimhan takes oath as Telangana Governor
Midnight celebrations heralded the birth of the new state of Telangana on Sunday, ending the decades-old struggle for statehood. Telangana Rashtra Samithi ...
- AHG Oath in another language
See also the pronunciation examples of Oath!
American Heritage Girls Oath in Sign Language
American Heritage Girls Oath in pidgin sign language so that the girls can sign along as they are saying the oath.
Quotes about Oath
Scrabble value of O1A1T1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OATH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Oath!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Oath to see it in context!