On this page:
Definition of the noun old dominion
What does old dominion mean as a name of something?
- a state in the eastern United States; one of the original 13 colonies; one of the Confederate States in the American Civil War
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- scientific name: Virginia
- synonyms of Old Dominion: Old Dominion State / VA / Va.
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; South = the region of the United States lying to the south of the Mason-Dixon line
- Shenandoah National Park = a national park in Virginia for the Blue Ridge Mountains
- capital of Virginia / Richmond = capital of the state of Virginia located in the east central part of the state
- Blacksburg = a university town in southwestern Virginia (west of Roanoke) in the Allegheny Mountains
- Jamestown = a former village on the James River in Virginia to the north of Norfolk
- Newport News = a port city in southeastern Virginia at the mouth of the James River off Hampton Roads
- Norfolk = port city located in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay
- Lynchburg = a city in central Virginia
- Portsmouth = a port city in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River opposite Norfolk; naval base
- Roanoke = a city in southwestern Virginia
- Virginia Beach = the largest city in Virginia; long overshadowed by Norfolk but growing rapidly since 1970; with 28 miles of public beaches tourism is a major factor in the economy
- Bull Run = a creek in northeastern Virginia where two battles were fought in the American Civil War
- Chancellorsville = a village in northeastern Virginia
- Fredericksburg = a town in northeastern Virginia on the Rappahannock River
- Petersburg = a town in southeastern Virginia
- Spotsylvania = a village in northeastern Virginia where battles were fought during the American Civil War
- Yorktown = a historic village in southeastern Virginia to the north of Newport News
- Mount Vernon = the former residence of George Washington in northeastern Virginia overlooking the Potomac river
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Chesapeake Bay = a large inlet of the North Atlantic between Virginia and Maryland
- Clinch River = a river that rises in southwestern Virginia and flows generally southwestward across eastern Tennessee to the Tennessee River
- Elizabeth River = a short river in southeastern Virginia flowing between Norfolk and Portsmouth into Hampton Roads
- Hampton Roads = a channel in southeastern Virginia through which the Elizabeth River and the James River flow into Chesapeake Bay
- James River / James = a river in Virginia that flows east into Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads
- Potomac River / Potomac = a river in the east central United States
- Rappahannock River / Rappahannock = a river that flows across eastern Virginia into the Tidewater region
- Shenandoah River = a river of northern Virginia that empties into the Potomac at Harpers Ferry
- Shenandoah Valley = a large valley between the Allegheny Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains in northern Virginia
- member of: Confederacy / Confederate States / Confederate States of America / Dixie / Dixieland / South = the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Old Dominion
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Edward S. Neukrug
Blume Oakland University Matthew Wardell Bonner Old Dominion University Mary Kim Brewster Ackerman Institute for the Family Sara K. Bridges The University of Memphis Annie Brook Certified ...
by Linwood H. Cousins
Craigen Old Dominion University O. Shawn Cupp U.S. Army Command and General Staff College Emirhan Darcan Rutgers University Rachel Diana Davidson University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee Cynthia Davis Florida A&M ...
by William Adolphus Wheeler
Old Dominion. A popular name for ...
Dictionary of Americanisms (1877)
A Glossary of Words and Phrases Usually Regarded as Peculiar to the United States by John Russell Bartlett
Old Dominion. The State of Virginia. Sometimes called the " Ancient Dominion." The name probably arose from the circumstance that Virginia was the original name for all the English colonies in America; also from the fact that in early times it ...
by Kenneth J. Panton
King Charles II gave Virginia Colony the title “Old Dominion” in recognition of its support for the monarchy during the English civil wars of 1642–1651 (and Old Dominion remains the nickname of the State of Virginia within the United States); 3.
by Edward Latham
Old Dominion, The. A name popularly given to the State of Virginia.
by Graham A. Colditz
Researcher Chelsea Halstead University of Portland Lynn Marie Hamilton Independent Scholar Emily Hammad University of Colorado Denver Jessica Anne Hammer Independent Scholar Zachary Hargis Old Dominion University Joy L. Hart ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Old Dominion
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Old Dominion
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Old Dominion
July 3rd Picket's Charge Reinactment.
Photo credit: fauxto_digit
- Old Dominion Hospital
From "Historic VCU: A VCU Images Special Collection"
VCU Libraries, Tompkins-McCaw Library, Special Collections & Archives
Photo credit: VCU Libraries
- Old Dominion (Leadership) Building
Photo credit: Arlington County
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Old Dominion
Old Dominion Meaning
Video shows what Old Dominion means. Virginia (US state). Old Dominion Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Old Dominion.
See also the pronunciation examples of Old Dominion!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Old Dominion to see it in context!