Old North State
is an acrostic for ons.
On this page:
Definition of the noun old north state
What does old north state mean as a name of something?
- a state in southeastern United States; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Old North State: N.C. / NC / North Carolina / Tar Heel State
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; South = the region of the United States lying to the south of the Mason-Dixon line; Carolina / Carolinas = the area of the states of North Carolina and South Carolina
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park = a national park in Tennessee and North Carolina that includes the highest mountain in the eastern United States
- Cape Fear = a cape in southeastern North Carolina extending into the Atlantic Ocean
- Cape Hatteras = a promontory on Hatteras Island off the Atlantic coast of North Carolina
- Hatteras Island = a barrier island running parallel to the North Carolina shore
- capital of North Carolina / Raleigh = capital of the state of North Carolina
- Asheville = a town in western North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west of Charlotte
- Chapel Hill = a town in central North Carolina
- Queen City / Charlotte = the largest city in North Carolina
- Durham = a city of north central North Carolina
- Fayetteville = a town in south central North Carolina
- Goldsboro = a town that is a major tobacco center in eastern North Carolina
- Greensboro = a city of north central North Carolina
- Greenville = a city in eastern North Carolina
- Wilmington = a town in southeastern North Carolina on the Cape Fear River
- Winston-Salem = a city of north central North Carolina
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Cape Fear River = a river in North Carolina that flows southeast to the Atlantic Ocean at Cape Fear
- Pee Dee River / Pee Dee = a river that flows through central North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina to the Atlantic Ocean
- member of: Confederacy / Confederate States / Confederate States of America / Dixie / Dixieland / South = the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
- Old North State a.k.a. North Carolina is a state in the Southeastern United States. The state borders South Carolina and Georgia to the south, Tennessee to the west, Virginia to the north, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. North Carolina is the 28th most extensive and the 10th most populous of the 50 United States. North Carolina is known as the Tar Heel State and the Old North State.
- read more about North Carolina (state)
- Old North State a.k.a. Old North State Winery is a Building, Venue in Mount Airy.
- read more about Old North State Winery
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Old North State
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Vol. 5, P-S by William S. Powell
Archibald Henderson, North Carolina: The Old North State and the New, vol.
by Benson John Lossing, Woodrow Wilson
Old North State.
Based Upon the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster : with a Reference Library and Treasury of Facts by Noah Webster, Harry Thurston Peck
North Carolina— Called "The Old North State" as distinguishing it from South Carolina. North Dakota— "The Cyclone State." Ohio — "The Buckeye State," because it abounds in horse-chestnut trees, locally known as "buckeyes." Oklahoma ...
by Benson John Lossing, Woodrow Wilson
Old North State. North Dakota. . . Flickertail State ...
by Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams
Old North State; North Carolina. — Palmetto State; South Carolina, from the device on its seal. — Panhandle State; West Virginia, from the irregular section of the State northward between Pennsylvania and Ohio.— Pelican State; Louisiana ...
To Inspire Ambition, to Stimulate the Imagination, to Provide the Inquiring Mind with Accurate Information Told in an Interesting Style, and Thus Lead Into Broader Fields of Knowledge, Such is the Purpose of this Work by Guy Stanton Ford
Old North State or Tar - - - Heel State .
a new and original work presenting for convenient reference the orthography, pronunciation, meaning, use, origin and development of every word in the English language together with condensed explanations of fifty thousand important subjects and an exhaustive encyclopaedia of all the arts and sciences profusely illustrated by Robert Hunter, Charles Morris
The Old North State. The Turpentine State (from one of its principal products).
The Standard American Encyclopedia of Arts, Sciences, History, Biography, Geography, Statistics, and General Knowledge (1897)
by John Clark Ridpath
Old North State. North Carolina. Old World.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Old North State
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Old North State
Old North State B&B
Day 6: Cycle NC
Photo credit: twbuckner
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Old North State to find many related words and phrases!